Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
i think i might be done with this game after this season. i see ghost recon breakpoint is on sale for ps4. could anyone who's played it give me your review? will it hold me over until the next looter shooter? i know it's not exactly a looter shooter, but im willing to give it a shot if its a fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Phil Layshow posted:

i think i might be done with this game after this season. i see ghost recon breakpoint is on sale for ps4. could anyone who's played it give me your review? will it hold me over until the next looter shooter? i know it's not exactly a looter shooter, but im willing to give it a shot if its a fun game.

it's like wildlands but 50-75% complete

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
never played wildlands, but that doesnt sound like a ringing endorsement

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Phil Layshow posted:

I played enough of it over the free weekend they just had to get me to buy it on sale. Compared to Division 2:
- Enemies generally die a lot faster
- No skill builds / Hard Wired style caster stuff, really (you only have one active skill at most, and then some items you can use)
- No infinite progression watch kinda deal
- You're not in a walkable city so traversal itself doesn't feel as good, but you can fly helicopters
- The game lets you party up with AI teammates who mostly exist to pick off a stray enemy once in a great while or, much more crucially, tag enemies and rez you when you fall

Overall it leans way more on the shooter side than the looter side (to the point where you can just...turn off loot item level, at any of the hubs), but it's definitely a different experience from Division 2. Also the most recent event's completion is done by: Doing actual quests attached to the event, instead of grinding out 150 of X kills, 75 of Y kills, etc.

Chernobyl Peace Prize fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 26, 2021

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The worst thing about Breakpoint is the cover and climb buttons are reversed from Division 2.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
maybe i'll pick up breakpoint with the dlc. i dunno. i think the next looter shooter coming out is that Outsiders game. i dont know much about it. i'll probably wait to see what people's impressions are before checking it out.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Ghaaah, Blew through Grand Washington for the daily, went to MLK after wiping a convoy, worked it over down to zero MG ammo due to first: another convoy during the fight, second: the Territory Control down the street getting aggro'd and joining in, and third: Rogue Agent Detected. So, that was all the activities needed for the daily, wee, let's go looking for the Snitch!

drat near three hours later, after clearing quite a few more convoys, several CPs, and various other activities - and at least ID'ing every loving question mark on the map, some more than once - no Snitch. :effort:

Finally gave up after a Territory Control was about 60% complete, then a quadcopter joined in.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Phil Layshow posted:

You might not have to worry because there's a good chance there won't be any significant new content after the season ends (watch me be totally wrong). That said, Breakpoint is really fuckin bad. They've fixed a lot of it but Ghost Recon Wildlands is a much much much better game.Check that out if you need an open world shooter fix.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

So I hit level 30 and haven't completed everything in DC. Do I stay around and complete everything in DC or should I go to NY, level up to 40 and then come back to DC?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

So I hit level 30 and haven't completed everything in DC. Do I stay around and complete everything in DC or should I go to NY, level up to 40 and then come back to DC?

Do NYC to level up to 40 then come back in my opinion. Better to have everything unlocked and gearing up for real than wasting time on DC as level 30. There are plenty of fun toys at 40 waiting.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Guillermus posted:

Do NYC to level up to 40 then come back in my opinion. Better to have everything unlocked and gearing up for real than wasting time on DC as level 30. There are plenty of fun toys at 40 waiting.

Awesome, thank you.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

You'll miss out on a collectible but if you don't care about that then yeah skipping to WONY is the way to go.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

If you just hit level 30 and haven’t completed the final stronghold at the Capitol building then I believe you have to do the stronghold first regardless. After the Capitol stronghold is when you hit the gear score system where you fight a new faction, Black Tusk, in all the mission locations again plus 1 more new stronghold at the end to reach the final gear score tier. There’s a minor amount of story in the gear score climb but it mostly comes down to “Black Tusk are doing something better stop them” culminating in you stopping them from doing currently unspeakable things to the White House and escaping with the cure.

The two DC missions that do directly lead into NYC are Coney Island Ballpark and Coney Island Amusement Park.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

UnknownMercenary posted:

You'll miss out on a collectible but if you don't care about that then yeah skipping to WONY is the way to go.

What is the collectible? Something significant?

Kibayasu posted:

If you just hit level 30 and haven’t completed the final stronghold at the Capitol building then I believe you have to do the stronghold first regardless. After the Capitol stronghold is when you hit the gear score system where you fight a new faction, Black Tusk, in all the mission locations again plus 1 more new stronghold at the end to reach the final gear score tier. There’s a minor amount of story in the gear score climb but it mostly comes down to “Black Tusk are doing something better stop them” culminating in you stopping them from doing currently unspeakable things to the White House and escaping with the cure.

The two DC missions that do directly lead into NYC are Coney Island Ballpark and Coney Island Amusement Park.

Okay I haven't hit any of the strongholds yet so I'll knock those out.

Thanks, everybody.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's a story echo basically showing you the president betraying you. It's only accessible in a side mission area leading to the final stronghold, Tidal Basin. You can revisit the area later if you use the level skip but the collectible won't be accessible. Doesn't matter much unless you're one of those super completionist types.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Phil Layshow posted:

maybe i'll pick up breakpoint with the dlc. i dunno. i think the next looter shooter coming out is that Outsiders game. i dont know much about it. i'll probably wait to see what people's impressions are before checking it out.

I picked up Breakpoint and the season pass while it's still heavily discounted after the free weekend and it's fine - I originally started with Ghost Experience and switched to the original mode and I've stayed there. I mean the gearscore system is the same as Division 2 and Destiny, which while not realistic is fine I guess, and encourages you to try out a lot of the different weapons as you progress. It's certainly got me hooked at the moment but the gameplay loop is very repetitive and I may quit out of boredom like I did with Wildlands. The good thing with Outriders is that they're offering it as a free trial for the month before official release so you'll be able to experience it with no money down.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

UnknownMercenary posted:

It's a story echo basically showing you the president betraying you. It's only accessible in a side mission area leading to the final stronghold, Tidal Basin. You can revisit the area later if you use the level skip but the collectible won't be accessible. Doesn't matter much unless you're one of those super completionist types.

Good to know, thank you.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Welp, finally got around to recalibrating a bunch of poo poo, now that I have godrolls for 'em. So, near-perfect Vile, one godroll skill damage Empress pack with Creeping Death, remainder is Eclipse with max Status Effect, all the mods are skill haste. Firewall, about 60-ish points in (when i started), running burny chem and Firewall shield.

Challenging Grand Washington - Hyenas come out WHOOSH one shot chem.

:dogstare:

Repeat for every non-heavy-elite, except the dudes across the courtyard with the minigun. (Guess they were out of Eclipse/CD range or something.) Guns were Scorpio (SCORPIO IS READY!) and Pyromaniac.

Repeated twice more (grinding burn victims for the league), went to the Arena and did the same (except for the parking garage, back to all-red/turret-drone/Pesti-Pyro for that), ate up that NW White House CP, torched Jefferson Trade (Pesti-build for Coyote), and deleted a couple convoys and bounties. Even had rogues show up at the section just before the Arena parking garage, got killed but they got Eclipsed in the process so I respawned to free loot.

I'd done mostly Status Eclipse before, but never maxed-out. Flamer good on everything that wasn't heavy. :supaburn:

Now I kinda want to run a all-max-haste with all-haste-mods Magic Hate Ball build. Or just go all-skill-damage gear'n'mods, throw on Capacitor and see how disgusting my turret/drone set can be. And switch to Technician since that's maxed-out.

Almost forgot: watch is max skill damage/CHD/stability/armor, and near-max haste/CHC/ammo capacity/health.

Next build goal will be maxed Hunter's Laptop, but I'll need to optimize the non-maxed stats, of course.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Ygolonac posted:

Welp, finally got around to recalibrating a bunch of poo poo, now that I have godrolls for 'em. So, near-perfect Vile, one godroll skill damage Empress pack with Creeping Death, remainder is Eclipse with max Status Effect, all the mods are skill haste. Firewall, about 60-ish points in (when i started), running burny chem and Firewall shield.

Challenging Grand Washington - Hyenas come out WHOOSH one shot chem.

:dogstare:

Repeat for every non-heavy-elite, except the dudes across the courtyard with the minigun. (Guess they were out of Eclipse/CD range or something.) Guns were Scorpio (SCORPIO IS READY!) and Pyromaniac.

Repeated twice more (grinding burn victims for the league), went to the Arena and did the same (except for the parking garage, back to all-red/turret-drone/Pesti-Pyro for that), ate up that NW White House CP, torched Jefferson Trade (Pesti-build for Coyote), and deleted a couple convoys and bounties. Even had rogues show up at the section just before the Arena parking garage, got killed but they got Eclipsed in the process so I respawned to free loot.

I'd done mostly Status Eclipse before, but never maxed-out. Flamer good on everything that wasn't heavy. :supaburn:

Now I kinda want to run a all-max-haste with all-haste-mods Magic Hate Ball build. Or just go all-skill-damage gear'n'mods, throw on Capacitor and see how disgusting my turret/drone set can be. And switch to Technician since that's maxed-out.

Almost forgot: watch is max skill damage/CHD/stability/armor, and near-max haste/CHC/ammo capacity/health.

Next build goal will be maxed Hunter's Laptop, but I'll need to optimize the non-maxed stats, of course.

What uhh

What sort of rolls should I look for when I start building an Eclipse set :stare:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Capn Beeb posted:

What uhh

What sort of rolls should I look for when I start building an Eclipse set :stare:

Eclipse is a skill tier gear set, which means it's piss easy to grind for. Just grab any piece of gear and recalibrate the one attribute to status effects.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I started actually paying attention to summit challenges to get Capacitor and put together a skill builds. Looks like there’s a few ways to go about them.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Capn Beeb posted:

What uhh

It's a skill-specific set, so it comes with a skill tier as default, then there's one random attribute and one mod slot. Eclipse is made for increasing and spreading status effects, so better SE is the one you want. Secondary choices would be skill damage or haste, maybe armor regen if you feel too squishy. Don't go red because the whole idea is to kill people via status effects, there's a lot better options if you want to kill with bullets.

Remember how you were using that chain-plasma-explosion in FONV? *That* is what your goal should be, except blinding/foaming/burning/shocking/spicing/multiple choice instead of green glowy poo poo.

If you really want something punchier or more protective, that's what the mod slots are for.

Eclipse, Hard Wired and Rigger are easy this way, because there's only the one attribute that needs changing - if you have the resources, base gear and good rolls in your library, you can have 3 full sets of each, damage/haste/status (although only Eclipse really benefits from that).

Edit: mine is 55% status effect (max rolls on all the Eclipse gear, plus the 15% 2-piece bonus), plus whatever is on Vile and the Creeping Death pack, plus my SHD points, plus any specialization perks (if any apply). Six tiers of skill, seven if I run Technician or equip my bonus-tier KORD, so any status effect I throw is BIG BEEF to begin with.

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 30, 2021

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Gonna suggest you just go all-in on status effect/haste for Eclipse, and very specifically do not take armor regen. You just don't have the rolls to spare.

kiba, our resident armor regen enthusiast, and I had a conversation about this a while ago. They used 4 rolls on their high-end DPS build which is just under 20k/sec total regen and I've used a drone which is about 21k/sec and that's what I'd consider the floor. eclipse does not have 4 rolls worth giving over to an underperforming stat since you're already down 4 rolls over a high-end setup, so it's the equivalent of losing 8 towards your build's main purpose and you absolutely don't have a skill slot to give up. You will die more due to underperforming status effect not killing enemies rapidly than you will survive due to armor regen values that are like one bullet worth of incoming fire.

i am curious if capacitor will provide a reasonable level of gun power the build normally doesn't have, though that means giving up sweet dreams elbow punching for guaranteed status spreading. May be worth trying if someone catches you up close with skills on cooldown.

armor kits exist; and if they're all foamed and on fire you can sit in cover and armor up at your leisure anyway :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 30, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man I'd love to get Hollow-Man mask but I keep landing on some real busy DZ Easts

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My Hollow Man showed up at a DZ vendor. At least it went into my DZ build?

My Eclipse has armour regen because I already had to swap skill tier onto Firm Handshake :engleft:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Went Hardwired/Damage/haste mods, drone/Hateball, Capacitor... but, uhm, still on my less-then-half-complete-Firewall and while I cleared the Robodog convoy, the now-level-4-CP, the other supply convoy, and the rogues, it was rather nonoptimal due to no points in AR in the spec. :derp:

Also, I may have selected single-ball instead of multi, oops. 20 second cooldown, though.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Finally got Ridgeway's Pride, so I popped it + Anarchist's Cookbook into my Hunters Fury build and recalibrated Sadist onto the first decent SMG I could find and... :eek:

It absolutely melts heroic elites, even with the group scaling. I only have like 80% CHD in this getup, too. Can't imagine how hard it'll hit once I get some better rolls.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ygolonac posted:

Went Hardwired/Damage/haste mods, drone/Hateball, Capacitor... but, uhm, still on my less-then-half-complete-Firewall and while I cleared the Robodog convoy, the now-level-4-CP, the other supply convoy, and the rogues, it was rather nonoptimal due to no points in AR in the spec. :derp:

Also, I may have selected single-ball instead of multi, oops. 20 second cooldown, though.
Seekers aren't very good at actually killing things due to enemies being able to dodge their terminal approach. The airburst version is slightly better (I think) but I haven't used that since year one.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Hulk Krogan posted:

Finally got Ridgeway's Pride, so I popped it + Anarchist's Cookbook into my Hunters Fury build and recalibrated Sadist onto the first decent SMG I could find and... :eek:

It absolutely melts heroic elites, even with the group scaling. I only have like 80% CHD in this getup, too. Can't imagine how hard it'll hit once I get some better rolls.

If you can swing it, I would replace the Anarchist's Cookbook with a regular high end backpack (Grupo would be your best bet for more CHD) with Wicked. Perfectly Wicked only gives a duration bonus; having an appropriate brand bonus that gives you more damage does more for you.

Shumagorath posted:

Seekers aren't very good at actually killing things due to enemies being able to dodge their terminal approach. The airburst version is slightly better (I think) but I haven't used that since year one.

Airburst is still easily dodged by AI, combined with the fact that it's the skill that has the most wonkiest aiming. You can combine it with foam on an Eclipse build to make it somewhat more effective. The other seekers are just garbage because the single seeker can home in on enemies but it doesn't do nearly enough damage, and the cluster got insanely overnerfed to not actually seek enemies in response to how powerful they were in year 1. Honestly it was the old BTSU Datagloves that made that poo poo overpowered, but Massive gonna Massive.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Psion posted:

Gonna suggest you just go all-in on status effect/haste for Eclipse, and very specifically do not take armor regen. You just don't have the rolls to spare.

kiba, our resident armor regen enthusiast, and I had a conversation about this a while ago. They used 4 rolls on their high-end DPS build which is just under 20k/sec total regen and I've used a drone which is about 21k/sec and that's what I'd consider the floor. eclipse does not have 4 rolls worth giving over to an underperforming stat since you're already down 4 rolls over a high-end setup, so it's the equivalent of losing 8 towards your build's main purpose and you absolutely don't have a skill slot to give up. You will die more due to underperforming status effect not killing enemies rapidly than you will survive due to armor regen values that are like one bullet worth of incoming fire.

i am curious if capacitor will provide a reasonable level of gun power the build normally doesn't have, though that means giving up sweet dreams elbow punching for guaranteed status spreading. May be worth trying if someone catches you up close with skills on cooldown.

armor kits exist; and if they're all foamed and on fire you can sit in cover and armor up at your leisure anyway :v:

This is good to know, thanks :) What about speccing a bit into skill damage on my gear?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

UnknownMercenary posted:

If you can swing it, I would replace the Anarchist's Cookbook with a regular high end backpack (Grupo would be your best bet for more CHD) with Wicked. Perfectly Wicked only gives a duration bonus; having an appropriate brand bonus that gives you more damage does more for you.

Ooh good point, thanks. Gonna have to try that out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Been killing time slowly doing the manhunt stuff and Eclipe is in one of the areas so I said gently caress up. Finished putting something together (4-piece, vile, battery pack) right around the time I got Scorpio from the season track.

It's.... different. I don't quite "get" the proper way to use the chem launcher. If I open with it everyone just rolls out before I can swap back and light the thing on fire. I've had better luck baiting them into shooting them then using the launcher. The damage on it is decent with the build and just had an ok time clearing a CP4. However... I'm very loving squishy. Hot drat gotta really pay attention to flanking enemies when fighting hyenas. Might not be something I run a lot while solo but I can see this doing real good at area denial in groups.

Gonna try to put together a turret or drone (or both!) skill build next. I doubt I'll ever hit the highs of old Hard Wire bomb spam but it looks like it might be still be viable in some way.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 30, 2021

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

With firestarter you can double tap the button after launching it to detonate the cloud instead of switching guns and shooting it.

There's still a slight delay and quicker enemies will still be able to roll away if they're at the edge of the blast radius, but it helps.

Also striker drone/assault turret build is insanely strong right now. Get 3x Empress, 2x Hana-U, 1x Wyvern Wear with pretty much whatever skill damage talents you want on backpack/chest, and either Capacitor or an AR the with In Sync talent. Skill Damage/Skill Haste on everything. Very easy to put together in a session or two of Summit and you'll pretty much be ready to tackle heroics right away.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 30, 2021

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

UnknownMercenary posted:

Airburst is still easily dodged by AI, combined with the fact that it's the skill that has the most wonkiest aiming. You can combine it with foam on an Eclipse build to make it somewhat more effective. The other seekers are just garbage because the single seeker can home in on enemies but it doesn't do nearly enough damage, and the cluster got insanely overnerfed to not actually seek enemies in response to how powerful they were in year 1. Honestly it was the old BTSU Datagloves that made that poo poo overpowered, but Massive gonna Massive.

Airburst would be better if it seek enemies out instead of having to aim it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
How exactly do you get Ridgeway's Pride?

Ubisoft's support says you have to do this: https://support.ubisoft.com/en-AU/Article/000079855/Unlocking-Ridgeways-Pride-projects-in-The-Division-2

That unlocks the project then you just do whatever the project says?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jose Oquendo posted:

Ubisoft's support says you have to do this: https://support.ubisoft.com/en-AU/Article/000079855/Unlocking-Ridgeways-Pride-projects-in-The-Division-2

That’s basically it. You can run summit on normal to speed it up. That description is worded in a confusing way though. You need all those parts and then defeat floor 100. If you don’t have all the parts beforehand it won’t trigger the project.

jabro fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 31, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hulk Krogan posted:

Also striker drone/assault turret build is insanely strong right now. Get 3x Empress, 2x Hana-U, 1x Wyvern Wear with pretty much whatever skill damage talents you want on backpack/chest, and either Capacitor or an AR the with In Sync talent. Skill Damage/Skill Haste on everything. Very easy to put together in a session or two of Summit and you'll pretty much be ready to tackle heroics right away.

I got some good Empress parts and Wyvern but Hana-U will have to wait until hopefully tomorrow because I ain't doing Tidal Basin.

More of a general question but is there a more reliable way to dealing with heavies aside from just throwing a few hundred bullets their way.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I got some good Empress parts and Wyvern but Hana-U will have to wait until hopefully tomorrow because I ain't doing Tidal Basin.

More of a general question but is there a more reliable way to dealing with heavies aside from just throwing a few hundred bullets their way.

Turret + drone skill build works the best since they always hit the chest.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

The project requires you to donate a gun with sadist, a Zero Fs vest, and an exotic component, fyi, so it's a good idea to save those if you get them ahead of time. You get the vest back when you finish the project though.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don't forget that you can choose your targeted loot in summit. Open the map and hit up to bring up a menu that lets you set any brand, weapon type, or gear slot as your targeted loot. You can change it on the fly too.

As for heavies, most have a weakpoint, like the backpack and bullet belt on the minigunner guys or the gas tanks on the flamethrower guys. Hitting that usually staggers them for a couple seconds and, in some cases, disables their weapons. Otherwise, you want to focus on one body part to break the armor there and start doing health damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I've read that crossbow will delete the chest armor, too.

My normal red build runs a Trauma chest, so I can induce bleeding and blindness every so often which helps. Firefly to blind/break their big toy, decoy for them to shoot instead of you, shock trap/foam to keep them parked and not shooting... sticky bomb, maybe? I never really bombed in Div1, either, except for grinding the Russian Embassy and using the EMP one to murder healyboxes/medics.

The last few Capitol runs I've done, I've mauled Ridgeway anf wosshername when you first hit the rooftop (both rocket monkeys) via immediate turret/drone targeting, then magdumping Pestilence - eventually, I blow the backpack and let the robots take care of the rest.

Got no issue with "hundreds of bullets", myself - ain't nobody paying me to bring ammo home. :black101: