Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Funnier to think of it being Larry though like you can hear Richard Lewis in his very exasperated voice there going "wtf is this LD?!? do you spend your weekends on a porch drinking beer and petting racoons?!??!" like that :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Alrighty so back in 2011 I was able to attend the annual Sturgeon Feast. We started off with a walk with part of the tribe who gave the story of the festival (not just for us, but for kids and such). Then it was over to the high school gymnasium for the festival, because we're in the Midwest and where else would there be an event?

The story of the Menominee goes: One night long ago a Menominee Indian(sic) dreamed that Manabush, grandson of Ko-Ko-Mas-Say-Sa-Now (the earth) and part founder of the Mitawin or Medicine Society, invited him to visit the God. With seven of his friends the Indian called on Manabush who granted their request to make them successful hunters. One of the band however, angered the god by asking for eternal life. Manabush, seizing the warrior by the shoulders, thurst him into the ground and said "you shall be a stone, thus you will be everlasting." The Menominee say that at night kindly spirit's come by to lay offerings of tobacco at the rock and that if one looks closely they can see their white veils among the trees. The legend is that when the rock finally crumbles away, the race will be extinct.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dang, that's a nice feather suit.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
The only reason to live in a rural area is if you enjoy nature but most americana towns are in the middle of nowhere or surrounded by hundreds of acres of lovely farmland.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Yaldabaoth posted:

The only reason to live in a rural area is if you enjoy nature but most americana towns are in the middle of nowhere or surrounded by hundreds of acres of lovely farmland.

I grew up in a rural area, and it's not that bad. Admittedly the nearby town has a prestigious university, giving a cultural anchorpoint that might not be similar to other rural areas. Living next to a tree farm is better than living next to a farm farm, because you can go into the woods to play, and they only chop it down every ten-twenty years or so. It was serene, and walking a mile or two to my friend's house didn't seem unreasonable.

Suburbs are the worst of both worlds, really.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Rural areas near a decent university can be pretty great. One caveat is that the university needs to be in a smallish town, sub 100,000 or so.

The area I grew up in was great. Tiny rural town in the woods and hills near a university. There were enough old "back to the land" hippies that the town had a very different vibe than your standard small town. It was southern and country, but not obnoxiously so. The school was too small to have a football team, so we didn't have to deal with that bullshit.

Unfortunately since I've left, it has changed drastically. The school has closed and no young families move there. The mean age is, no joke, 53 now. Most of the old hippies have died off. The university had exploded in size mostly due to being cheaper and easier to get into than the universities in a neighboring state. Fully half of the student body is now made up of rich out of state kids that couldn't get into their school. The university town and it's adjoining towns have also swollen to a metro area of nearly a quarter million people.

My quaint little home town is now characterized by depression, poverty, and chuds. RIP

naem
May 29, 2011

Prof. Banks posted:

Rural areas near a decent university can be pretty great. One caveat is that the university needs to be in a smallish town, sub 100,000 or so.

The area I grew up in was great. Tiny rural town in the woods and hills near a university. There were enough old "back to the land" hippies that the town had a very different vibe than your standard small town. It was southern and country, but not obnoxiously so. The school was too small to have a football team, so we didn't have to deal with that bullshit.

Unfortunately since I've left, it has changed drastically. The school has closed and no young families move there. The mean age is, no joke, 53 now. Most of the old hippies have died off. The university had exploded in size mostly due to being cheaper and easier to get into than the universities in a neighboring state. Fully half of the student body is now made up of rich out of state kids that couldn't get into their school. The university town and it's adjoining towns have also swollen to a metro area of nearly a quarter million people.

My quaint little home town is now characterized by depression, poverty, and chuds. RIP

I had a similar experience growing up and left the area years ago

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

The story of the Menominee goes: One night long ago a Menominee Indian(sic) dreamed that Manabush, grandson of Ko-Ko-Mas-Say-Sa-Now (the earth) and part founder of the Mitawin or Medicine Society, invited him to visit the God. With seven of his friends the Indian called on Manabush who granted their request to make them successful hunters. One of the band however, angered the god by asking for eternal life. Manabush, seizing the warrior by the shoulders, thurst him into the ground and said "you shall be a stone, thus you will be everlasting." The Menominee say that at night kindly spirit's come by to lay offerings of tobacco at the rock and that if one looks closely they can see their white veils among the trees. The legend is that when the rock finally crumbles away, the race will be extinct.

45 minutes away from me :)

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Prof. Banks posted:

I went to high school in a rural area, one town over from university town as well. However, there aren't many woods or hills and what few, odd older folks have left or died off. It's now a dying university that has lowered admissions and has acquired a burgeoning crime problem right off-campus. My mom still lives in the smallish-town, and I'd wish she'd move so I wouldn't have to go back to visit. lol

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Yaldabaoth posted:

I used to do consulting work for an oil/gas/petrochemical tech company. Nearly every refinery or chemical manufacturing facility was in the middle of nowhere, because the land was cheap, the local government would give tax breaks (*cough* *cough* kick backs), and offer plenty of unskilled, low paying jobs in a town where there are none. Usually places where a major factory shut down decades earlier.

These facilities are often a ticking time bomb for the local environment as just one chemical spill could pollute the water table for generations. Not to mention the pollution from processing.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

I used to do consulting work for an oil/gas/petrochemical tech company. Nearly every refinery or chemical manufacturing facility was in the middle of nowhere, because the land was cheap, the local government would give tax breaks (*cough* *cough* kick backs), and offer plenty of unskilled, low paying jobs in a town where there are none. Usually places where a major factory shut down decades earlier.

These facilities are often a ticking time bomb for the local environment as just one chemical spill could pollute the water table for generations. Not to mention the pollution from processing.

Has anyone mentioned the term "Sacrifice Zone" yet?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Bonzo posted:

It's not just oil and gas... Years ago I was an environmental scientist working for a consulting firm. One of our clients was a Fortune 500 company that had purchased several industrial dry cleaners on its path to success, and I know of two different significant perchloroethylene contaminant plumes emanating from underground storage tanks. One of them - somewhere on the outskirts of Odessa, Texas - was over a mile in length, going beneath a major freeway and popping up at the other end of a power plant. The remediation's expensive and takes years. I can only wonder if it was properly handled, now.

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Big Beef City posted:

45 minutes away from me :)

Oh dope! After the event we drove over to our professor's family hunting cabin nearby, really beautiful with all the pine trees. Then we drove back to Minnesota, which was less exciting.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bonzo posted:

It probably doesn't hurt that the further away they are from populated areas, the fewer people killed if poo poo blows up.

Hasturtium posted:

It's not just oil and gas... Years ago I was an environmental scientist working for a consulting firm. One of our clients was a Fortune 500 company that had purchased several industrial dry cleaners on its path to success, and I know of two different significant perchloroethylene contaminant plumes emanating from underground storage tanks. One of them - somewhere on the outskirts of Odessa, Texas - was over a mile in length, going beneath a major freeway and popping up at the other end of a power plant. The remediation's expensive and takes years. I can only wonder if it was properly handled, now.

I bet it doesn't help the remediation process that Perc is a sinker.

I'm a geotech/environmental driller and have worked on a couple sites where the contaminant, petroleum in this case, was measured in METRES of free product sitting on top of the water table.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

wesleywillis posted:

It probably doesn't hurt that the further away they are from populated areas, the fewer people killed if poo poo blows up.

I bet it doesn't help the remediation process that Perc is a sinker.

I'm a geotech/environmental driller and have worked on a couple sites where the contaminant, petroleum in this case, was measured in METRES of free product sitting on top of the water table.

Oh, God. LNAPL (light non-aqueous phase liquid) at least is polite enough to float. DNAPL (dense NAPL) sinks, like you say, and perc readily degrades into a host of daughter products with their own health issues and remediation requirements. One of the "fun" parts of that job was that the contamination affected an aquifer solely used for industrial purposes, but that was separated from a drinking water aquifer by a fractured sandstone. After a few years the perc found a path. So much paperwork, so much communication with the state.

On a lighter note, a site in East Texas was entirely preventable. It was a medical supply manufacturer that followed good, stringent guidelines... but the cleaning staff used a dilute chlorinated solvent in the mop water, and at the end of every day, for more than a decade, they just took the mop water and dumped it out behind the property. People will always find ways to surprise you.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hasturtium posted:

Oh, God. LNAPL (light non-aqueous phase liquid) at least is polite enough to float. DNAPL (dense NAPL) sinks, like you say, and perc readily degrades into a host of daughter products with their own health issues and remediation requirements. One of the "fun" parts of that job was that the contamination affected an aquifer solely used for industrial purposes, but that was separated from a drinking water aquifer by a fractured sandstone. After a few years the perc found a path. So much paperwork, so much communication with the state.

On a lighter note, a site in East Texas was entirely preventable. It was a medical supply manufacturer that followed good, stringent guidelines... but the cleaning staff used a dilute chlorinated solvent in the mop water, and at the end of every day, for more than a decade, they just took the mop water and dumped it out behind the property. People will always find ways to surprise you.

Thats typically what happens happened at your average small town strip mall dry cleaners (you probably knew that) too. That poo poo adds up dunn'it?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Those last few posts are peak Americana.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Hasturtium posted:

separated from a drinking water aquifer by a fractured sandstone.

In my experience fractured sandstone doesn't separate anything?

Ah...that was the joke. I see.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

AKZ posted:

In my experience fractured sandstone doesn't separate anything?

Ah...that was the joke. I see.

Ding. I'm glad to have briefly derailed the Americana thread with environmental science. To get things back on track: God, I'd kill to be guaranteed immunity from COVID long enough to hit a greasy spoon. Just a cup of coffee with refills, an omelette, and a slice of pie, and I'd feel like I could die happy.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

You've hit on a wonderful intersection regarding Americana and environmental science. I have just the thing.

AKZ fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 29, 2021

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

AKZ posted:

You've hit on a wonderful intersection regarding Americana and environmental science. I have just the thing.

That's brilliant in a "Well what DO we have?" "Make it work." kinda way.

I like the use of the extension cord as a makeshift pipe heater

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

AKZ posted:

What the hell am I even looking at? Is this one of those well pump things?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CPL593H posted:

What the hell am I even looking at? Is this one of those well pump things?

Pretty much. A rural house needed running water so they built an ad hoc system to connect their house to an old water well on their land.

Presumably the original well dug for the house dried up and this was cheaper than deepening the existing one.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
the electric motor is connected by rubber belts to a gearbox that moves the green bits up and down in a reciprocating fashion. The very tops of the green bits (which are repurposed wire fence posts made out of angle iron) push what used to be a manual pump of this style up and down. The water flows out into the makeshift piping arrangement and then gravity feeds to the house.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hasturtium posted:

Narrator:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Hetlife

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Hetsy

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Something so super depressing about wood paneling and office ceiling tile combo.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

There was a VFW hall in Southern Indiana that my band played at that had illegal slot machines in the back.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Hypothetically, if a veteran of the Civil War tried to enter a VFW hall, would he be turned away on account of being a filthy domestic war veteran?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Animal-Mother posted:

Hypothetically, if a veteran of the Civil War tried to enter a VFW hall, would he be turned away on account of being a filthy domestic war veteran?

I'm sure in ten years or so there will be plenty of VDW halls starting to open up.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

What's the restaurant chain that gets its customers to stand twice a day to salute veterans? loving peak Americana right there.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Benny Harvey posted:

What's the restaurant chain that gets its customers to stand twice a day to salute veterans? loving peak Americana right there.

Heart attack grill maybe?

naem
May 29, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

Something so super depressing about wood paneling and office ceiling tile combo.

there was a specific time period where that was the budget interior of choice and any place that has that combo still hasn’t been updated since like, the 70’s

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I just realized the giant Stop Liberal Communists TRUMP 2020 billboard on the mass pike that is still up is at mile marker 88 gently caress

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Benny Harvey posted:

https://mission-bbq.com/

quote:

MISSION BBQ opened its doors for business on September 11, 2011.

Ten years after our world changed forever, in some small way we wanted to change it back.

As the founders of MISSION BBQ, we strive every day to remind everyone what makes Our Country great—its heroes.

Who are we? Two friends passionate about BBQ, patriotic for Our Country, and who believe in running a business with meaning and purpose.

We believe there is nothing more American than BBQ. And nobody more American than the brave men and women who have sworn to protect and serve Our Communities and Our Country. We do what we do for the love of our soldiers, firefighters, police officers, first responders—all our loved ones in service.

We set across this great land from Texas to Kansas City, the Carolinas to St. Louis...to discover the secrets of great BBQ.

Every day we strive to serve you authentic BBQ made from the freshest, most delectable ingredients, and serve it to you in a patriotic dining room filled with tributes to those who’ve made Our Country great, given to us by the people who earned them. Stop by at lunchtime, and you might catch us during our daily salute to the Stars and Stripes.

We don't do any of this because we have to. It's because we want to.

At MISSION BBQ, we are Proudly Serving Those Who Serve. Come help us complete Our Mission.

https://mission-bbq.com/servants-heart has some real gems

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

500excf type r posted:

Heart attack grill maybe?

heart attack grill seems pretty agnostic i think it mostly exists so the owner can die of a heart attack and get replaced every few years

i mean, agnostic in the sense that there's only like two god bless america murals instead of that being the entire theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

not a single chin to be found

e:lmao i was going to make fun of that special forces guy at the bottom who i at first assumed ex military and was going to roast him for being the biggest POG in the universe. turns out mission bbq has its own special forces and hes in chage of it. deploying tactical ranch sauce, captain

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 31, 2021