Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This guy and MLM's have come up before so here's this guy again doing a good takedown of MLM's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ4eA0-2krw

Listen to the way the "business owners" talk in the videos. They're robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

axolotl farmer posted:

I think there was a thread here a loong time ago by someone who was involved in that cult/scam org that drives teenagers around in vans and make them go door-to-door selling books.

Sounds familiar to anyone?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3721936/

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Tubgoat posted:

Cryonics

There's a great segment on an old episode of This American Life about the early days of Cryongenics and what a disaster it was. It involved cryogenic containers opened up like sardine cans, accidental thawing, and running out of money and liquid nitrogen.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/354/mistakes-were-made/act-one-7

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I got a thing in the mail today to renew my soon to be expired drivers license and spent like a half hour making sure it was legit and double checking everything because this is the loving world we live in and this kind of poo poo is easy to fake. Still seems weird that I can do it online or through the mail without them having to update my photo or do the eye test but it checks out.

EDIT:

ANd I started going down Kitboga's Youtube rabbit hole and god drat what always gets me is how pissed off and slighted the loving thieves manage to feel. "gently caress you you motherfucker for not letting me steal from you and for wasting my time!" They're all so god damned indignant about getting busted and all act like their mark is the real rear end in a top hat.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 28, 2021

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

BiggerBoat posted:

ANd I started going down Kitboga's Youtube rabbit hole and god drat what always gets me is how pissed off and slighted the loving thieves manage to feel. "gently caress you you motherfucker for not letting me steal from you and for wasting my time!" They're all so god damned indignant about getting busted and all act like their mark is the real rear end in a top hat.

Phone scammers are the goddamn rudest/angriest people when called out, and I don't know if it's because the type of person who takes that job is naturally an rear end in a top hat, or if working conditions are so bad that they're constantly on edge. I have a feeling it's a little of both.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Lol, my wife’s brother is one of the saleskids in this... he said Shia lebeuf is pretty cool.

We still haven’t made it all the way through the whole movie yet though...

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
'Microsoft Tech Support' stopped calling me before someone suggested I call them Pakistanis and I'm kind of sad.
Now the only calls I get are from idiots who leave a message of dead static,

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

Phone scammers are the goddamn rudest/angriest people when called out, and I don't know if it's because the type of person who takes that job is naturally an rear end in a top hat, or if working conditions are so bad that they're constantly on edge. I have a feeling it's a little of both.

I called out some guy who contacted me on linkedin to try to sell me crypto as running a scam and he ranted at me for 45m then reported me to linkedin.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

I called out some guy who contacted me on linkedin to try to sell me crypto as running a scam and he ranted at me for 45m then reported me to linkedin.
:holy:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tubgoat posted:

'Microsoft Tech Support' stopped calling me before someone suggested I call them Pakistanis and I'm kind of sad.
Now the only calls I get are from idiots who leave a message of dead static,

I hosed with one of these Microsoft tech support dudes maybe about 10 years ago when the only devices we had in the house were Apple (Laptop, Imac, Iphone, Apple TV and an Ipad) and I stung him along for a good minute before I informed him I didn't own a PC. MOther fucker got mad at ME for wasting HIS time.

Bitch, you called ME

Also, not sure how many goons live in the 32080 zip code but you better jump on this mad opportunity.

Somebody spent some money to pop up quite a few yard signs promising $20,000 a month to work from home. I suspect it's an MLM since it almost has to be but Jesus Christ, you'd think they would temper people's expectations to make that bait just a TAD more believable. Worse, someone paid money to produce 50 - 100 of them but make them look hand written with a magic marker. I thought that was even weirder.

Who falls for this poo poo? Like, does anyone think the keys to the kingdom are just one phone call away and being handed out on a loving yard sign? I gathered up a couple of them and if I get bored might call them and offer my graphic design services and maybe record it since Kitboga inspires me.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

It's desperation and people who are the end of their rope thinking "maybe this time it'll work out, I don't know what else to do." It's just a sad situation of scumbags trying to prey on people in bad situations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The fake handwriting is a new thing the real estate predators are doing, my best guess is because the conman thinks it looks more authentic and amateur, but if it's a consistent type font, you're not fooling anyone. It seems to be pretty consistent around my area, across multiple companies and agents.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
There's also people who know that it's probably money laundering, but are willing to do it anyway as long as they get a cut.

My favorite is "real estate investor seeks trainee, serious inquiries only" which... I'm not sure who you plan to rope in with that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The thing that got me was 20k a month. If they'd kept in a more believable range, they'd probably get more nibbles. If I decide to go ahead and gently caress with them a little, I'll post the results here but I'd bet both my testicles it's some Amway poo poo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BiggerBoat posted:

The thing that got me was 20k a month. If they'd kept in a more believable range, they'd probably get more nibbles. If I decide to go ahead and gently caress with them a little, I'll post the results here but I'd bet both my testicles it's some Amway poo poo.

Use a GV number or something and call them

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

BiggerBoat posted:

Extoll the virtues of options trading (the infinite losses one) to your would-be conman.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tubgoat posted:

Extoll the virtues of options trading (the infinite losses one) to your would-be conman.

I was actually going to approach them as a freelance graphic designer, which I actually am, and maybe come at them from an angle about how I can design better signs then see where it goes from there.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Volmarias posted:

My favorite is "real estate investor seeks trainee, serious inquiries only" which... I'm not sure who you plan to rope in with that.

An absolute poo poo-ton of people. Like MLMs, the real money in that scam comes from selling classes and conferences. It's pretty funny seeing some 21 year old take out an hour log pre-roll ad on YouTube to try and convince people to buy whatever real estate scam training he's offering.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Tubgoat posted:

The fake handwriting is a new thing the real estate predators are doing, my best guess is because the conman thinks it looks more authentic and amateur, but if it's a consistent type font, you're not fooling anyone. It seems to be pretty consistent around my area, across multiple companies and agents.

My friend sent me a good one of these recently. Look at these three mailers that came to her house:

(It's covered up, but her name is misspelled two different ways on two of them, and the number of her address is wrong on one too.)

The text is re-used between printings, but I'm on the fence as to whether it was originally written by hand. On the one hand, within a given line of text the letters are pretty distinct so it's not just a typeface (though the "y" in "my" and "property" does look suspiciously re-used). On the other hand, if a human was responsible for writing this then they must be unfamiliar with English and are just copying the shape of the letters.

I'm not sure what order they were received in but my guess is that the middle one was last since it's error-free. They must have done some quality control between printings. But how lovely is that quality control if it took two tries to get there?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Huh, their lowercase 'Y' game is... ambiguous?

Oh, do they make fonts that come with multiple variations on letters than can be assigned randomly (as to which version is used)? Aside from those 4 different (that I saw) Ys, the rest looks as consistent as Bradley Hand ITC.

Actually, it looks like they plagarised Bradley Hand ITC and changed just enough to make it legally distinct? Though I thought the font was public domain, it comes standard on like every computer I've used.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 31, 2021

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Because the less believable the lie the harder your mark will commit to it while you're filtering out people to smart to fall for it in the first place. It's the same reason you get typos and poo poo in scam emails.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Huh, their lowercase 'Y' game is... ambiguous?

Oh, do they make fonts that come with multiple variations on letters than can be assigned randomly (as to which version is used)? Aside from those 4 different (that I saw) Ys, the rest looks as consistent as Bradley Hand ITC.

Actually, it looks like they plagarised Bradley Hand ITC and changed just enough to make it legally distinct? Though I thought the font was public domain, it comes standard on like every computer I've used.

typefaces aren't legally copyrightable in the us so it's easy and legal to create a new font based on a printout

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Tunicate posted:

typefaces aren't legally copyrightable in the us so it's easy and legal to create a new font based on a printout

Interesting. How can sites get away with charging like $30 to download a crazy-boring font then?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Tubgoat posted:

Fake handwriting flyers has been happening for at least 15 years.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Interesting. How can sites get away with charging like $30 to download a crazy-boring font then?

fonts are copyrightable according to the supreme court, because it's technically a piece of software being used in order to generate the typeface and the minimal amount of creativity needed to choose how to make that software barely eeks over the line

(I personally disagree but that's the precedent)

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Might be an AI handwriting generator. It would explain the weird typos.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ravenkult posted:

:hmmyes:

Spazzle posted:

Fake handwriting flyers has been happening for at least 15 years.
True, it is only recently that we've been getting absolutely blanketed in the ads like a loving propaganda campaign from an invading imperial power.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

ravenkult posted:

My other guess was OCR. Still not sure how/why it messed up the same sentence in multiple ways though.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I, uh, can't really believe that more than one person has tried this, but apparently it's a common enough scam for homeless people to pretend to be private investigators/bounty hunters in order to get into a hotel.

Thankfully, they left after I informed them that, without a badge or license to operate in the jurisdiction, they're not apprehending suspects, they're committing kidnapping and false imprisonment. :v:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

This is the old "weed out all the marks who will apply enough critical thinking to not take the bait" bit. It saves the scammer time on people who will smell something wrong.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

BiggerBoat posted:

Who falls for this poo poo?

Did you clock that thing earlier where somebody dug up those ancient posts about the goon's girlfriend who was described as practically a prodigy and genius intellect who flew to America to sell books door to door on the premise that she could make $200k+ in a single summer lmfao

I mean...there's credulous and there's falling for something hook, line, sinker and whole fishing rod.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I don't know if this is a con or a scam, but it seems like it.

A co-worker was looking for a second car and shopped the local dealers online. She found a few she was interested in, but when she called the dealer she was told the cars were not meant for retail sale and were going to an auction house. When she asked why they were being listed if they weren't meant for sale, she was told that all trade-ins are automatically listed on their sites. This happened with two different dealers.

She questioned this and was greeted with a moment of silence before the salesman offered to sell her a more expensive car.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I want to sell some expensive cards on Ebay, however I've only ever used it as a buyer. What are some things to look out for so I dont get hosed by someone who is dishonest?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't know if this is a con or a scam, but it seems like it.

A co-worker was looking for a second car and shopped the local dealers online. She found a few she was interested in, but when she called the dealer she was told the cars were not meant for retail sale and were going to an auction house. When she asked why they were being listed if they weren't meant for sale, she was told that all trade-ins are automatically listed on their sites. This happened with two different dealers.

She questioned this and was greeted with a moment of silence before the salesman offered to sell her a more expensive car.

This is a bait-and-switch, and at least in the U.S., is explicitly illegal. She should report the dealers to a state agency that handles consumer protection.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Thanatosian posted:

This is a bait-and-switch, and at least in the U.S., is explicitly illegal. She should report the dealers to a state agency that handles consumer protection.

lol

customer protection in the U.S., man that's a good one

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dr.acula posted:

I want to sell some expensive cards on Ebay, however I've only ever used it as a buyer. What are some things to look out for so I dont get hosed by someone who is dishonest?

Good thread about eBay selling in TFR that's barely about guns at all, the OP does a lot of business on eBay and the advice is good for anything: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867568

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Eric the Mauve posted:

lol

customer protection in the U.S., man that's a good one

Varies from state to state. Massachusetts would fine those dealers. Not that it would stop them, or help her get a car at the advertised price, but.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Inceltown posted:

This is the old "weed out all the marks who will apply enough critical thinking to not take the bait" bit. It saves the scammer time on people who will smell something wrong.

Well, for what it's worth, I spent a few hours this weekend gathering up all the yard signs I could find. Jesus Christ they're everywhere. I like to think of it as cleaning up pollution. I think I'm still going to figure out a way to gently caress with them and plan to go with the graphic designer looking for jobs/your signs need work angle.

Can confirm that whoever was saying it's a font designed to look hand written was right though. I kept one and looked at the letters. It's almost impressive how much money they spent to make it look like some person grabbed a thick magic marker and scrawled a message not even worthy of a yard sale because they're just sooooo eager to share the secret of how they make five thousand dollars a week.

The font they used even has a transparency effect that makes it look some dude scrawled these things in their garage. I honestly hope they're mad that their signs are disappearing.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Varies from state to state. Massachusetts would fine those dealers. Not that it would stop them, or help her get a car at the advertised price, but.

God...how do I get full time job going undercover to bust creeps trying to game people?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I don’t know if your local consumer protection board does anything besides look into complaints but if they do secret shopper stuff or investigations that might be a place to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Which dumpster will you abandon those yard signs in? So many choices… I'd go for something stinky that stains.