Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
Sup, the name is Rytheric, some call me Ry because three syllables are just too much sometimes, others call me Ry-The Spy because there is a tendency for me to get invited into peoples discord where they find me chilling sometimes. Ive been called a great spy or a horrible spy. Sometimes im such a good spy i don't even know im spying. I was introduced to the SA Forums via the mighty Gooseflock Featheration in eve echos. May the honks of the mother goose resonate throughout the cosmos.

Anyway, I am here to treat yall fine people with my adventures in building a boxtruck tiny home, a timber framed tiny home, and a timberframed outhouse named respectively, The GroverTruk, the MurderHaus, and the TimberShitter; duely named by the gentle and Lady geese of the honk discord.

Without further ado I present the first project. The GroverTruk:

The story begins.

This is Behmy, short for Behemoth. Behmy is a 1995 Ford e350 box van that was totaled from colliding with a car on her passenger side.
She has a front hitch because I like to haul things in reverse sometimes.

Behmy's back door is wide open and can fit a whole couch in there. At least for now.

Here is my meager initial power system.

Here is how I charged my battery.

I spent a couple weeks sleeping in the boxtruck like this and it served me well for a while as I imagined what I wanted to do with it. From here I made my blue print.

As you can see from the blueprint the tiny home will come complete with a closet and battery cabinet, a bedroom, a screened in porch, and a firepit. The firepit was a defining point in the building of this tiny home as after I posted it I learned a lot about structural drywall, the need for insulating stairwells steps, and that structural wood I-beams are okay to cut as long as you're only putting several thousand pound tubs on them to complete a doom theme.

Here i go building a back wall to my bedroom.

Framing a wall.

Yay a door.

This is how insulation works right?

Second iteration of the tiny home complete. I transcended from sleeping on a couch to a mattress on the floor protected by a sheet of plywood and aluminum foil. Now I dont have to wear my foil hat all the time.

This is what they call a wall.

This is what it looks like when you put reflextix on a wall.

This is what it looks like when you think of starships and disco parties all day. I mean when you frame a wall. If you know a bit about carpentry you'll realize mistakes were made at this point.

Mistakes corrected. You see, if youre going to attach paneling to something you need something to attache it to unless you want it to bow when you lean against it. In this case, I should have double plated and double silled my framing. I also added a corner board as seen below.

Close up of corrections

Let there be tiny lamps!

Azzes Light!

Got wood?

Mmm stuffing.

Ye Ol Lights!

The woody experience wraps up the third iteration of the GroverTruk. I added some draft screens behind the doors. And put reflectix on the ceiling. Waiting to buy a fantastic fan to complete the ceiling and money for the French doors. Right now though I'm in the process of buying the MurderHaus which I will detail below complete with the TimberShitter.

So here is the battery cabinet so far. Pardon the mess I just bought a fuse box the other day so I can start cleaning it up.

Here is my poor marine battery that has to suffer through the early stages of the build. Its a real trooper.
Everything connected to it has its own fuse though thats not readily apparent.

Here is my 1250 tripp-lite inverter/battery charger. I currently have jumper cables connecting it to my battery, and the inverter itself is plugged into a 13amp gfci extension cord hub. I use the jumper cables to charge the battery with my truck if needed. I will be replacing them with a more suitable connection soon(tm).

Here is my 13 amp gfci extension hub that connects my inverter/charger to shore power when I park at someone's house. I got this as a safety. The 13amp gfci protects the homeowners house from me overloading their breakers. And prevents my inverter/charger from drawing too much power.

This is where the extension hub connects to shore power.

This is where my space heater and outlets Penetrate through the wall. I will put a junction box there soon(tm). I would have preferred to have the junction box on the non-living side, however, the space heater came with such a short cord that it couldn't go through the wall. Guess I could have put the junction box in the wall, but I didn't want random wires coming though a hole in the wall. Looks tacky.

Here is my battery monitor and dc outlet hub and where i plan to mount it soon(tm). Unfortunately my battery was low so the monitor was blinking and I couldn't be arsed to time the picture to show it.

Here are the dc outlets. I typically just plug some 12v electric blankets and my cell phone charger into the ports. Its a really useful device.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
So, what is the TimberShitter you may ask? It is what happens when you intend to timber-frame a house, but you've never timberframed before, and you realize "'man i typically need to defecate while I'm building things and I need a reason to practice timberframing before I actually start building my house." So you figure, if im going to have to build an outhouse, im going to make it the best outhouse I can make it. So here we go.

This is the orifice that will one day become the TimberShitter

So here are the building requirement for the TimberShitter

And this is how the county interprets it to look like (this is not infact how it is going to look like)

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 1, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

What is the MurderHaus? You ask. Well its quite simple, its a questionable piece of property out in the middle of no where, preferably with a delapilated building on it that makes people suspect that's where you are hiding dead bodies while you "construct" a new building. When infact you don't kill people in your GroverTruk and bury them as the MurderHaus is being built but instead take them out sailing.

Here is the beginnings of MurderHaus

Come on it doesnt get much more spooky looking than this.

I know what you're thinking. Under that rubble is a good place for the trap door.

This is the shitter.

Look at all this water trying to escape.

And here is the suspiciously well fertilized bamboo

Here is the layout for the MurderHaus property. Notice there are actually two MurderHaus and two TimberShitters

Another thing of note is the well house / Watertower / observatory.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 1, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

that is where the orbs live

Kim Jaym Il
Dec 14, 2010

what? i
don't
have
fucking
ears

J4Grover

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The Voice of Labor posted:

Orbs?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

do they make metal detectors but for bones cuz im pretty sure that land is a goldmine (of bones)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

earlier digital cameras would pretty consistently introduce digital artifacts into pictures. these were regarded by some as fairies or aliens or extradimensional beings or, simply, orbs.

they grow and thrive in unfinished basements

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I can't quite tell from the picture, are you going to make a shitter that shits into an (now) open well?

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

in case anyone just flew by the explanation of grovertruk, what took it from interesting side project to hilarious side show is the fact that he is adding a fire pit to the back of his box truck.

Rytheric is my favorite j4g (just 4 goose) and i hope he doesnt kill himself. :ohdear:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

organburner posted:

I can't quite tell from the picture, are you going to make a shitter that shits into an (now) open well?

That is actually the remnants of an ancient shitter. Basically its a movable concrete foundation pad with a riser that is suppose to be placed over the shitter pit. You build the outhouse onto of the concrete foundation. Then when the shitter is full (18 inches from the surface) you tear down the outhouse. Dig a pit next to it. Move the concrete foundation onto of that pit and bury the previously poo filled hole with the spoils of the pit you just dug. Then rebuild the outhouses on it. Its a transformative experience.

As a side note wells are not that big nowadays so don't bring up buckets of water of that when you see something in the woods that look like that.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

He was trying to go full Grover, but we convinced him it was important to have a carbon monoxide detector

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

OniPanda posted:

He was trying to go full Grover, but we convinced him it was important to have a carbon monoxide detector

This became moreso important when my grandfather realized that the exhaust pipe ends under the box instead of the side or back of the box. Luckily that will only affect the screened porch sections. However I put a co and smoke detector in the bedroom just in case exhaust fumes built up in there.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PLease do not put a fire pit inside your box truck house, OP

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

PLease do not put a fire pit inside your box truck house, OP

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

The Voice of Labor posted:

:rms:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Wheres the doom bathroom

Kim Jaym Il
Dec 14, 2010

what? i
don't
have
fucking
ears

HallelujahLee posted:

Wheres the doom bathroom

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Looks high tech

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Luxury

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Rytheric posted:

This became moreso important when my grandfather realized that the exhaust pipe ends under the box instead of the side or back of the box. Luckily that will only affect the screened porch sections. However I put a co and smoke detector in the bedroom just in case exhaust fumes built up in there.

Have you considered lengthening the exhaust pipe on GroverTruk?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Relevant Tangent posted:

Have you considered lengthening the exhaust pipe on GroverTruk?

I'm no engineer. Yet at least. Behmy breaks down reliably. I dont want to do anything too drastic to change that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Do put a fire pit in your box truck. Maybe a hot tub too

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Rytheric posted:

I'm no engineer. Yet at least. Behmy breaks down reliably. I dont want to do anything too drastic to change that.

Get some prebent pipe from the auto parts store and some claps and run it up the rear and then the side at the back of the box area.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

taqueso posted:

Yo i could put a trough above the firepit to make my bath! Genius. The geese were right. Joining the SA forums would greatly improve my projects.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 31, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Get some prebent pipe from the auto parts store and some claps and run it up the rear and then the side at the back of the box area.

This would change the exhaust pressure i believe.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rytheric posted:

Not enough to matter on a truck like that.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

taqueso posted:

:hmmyes:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
For the hottub, you are going to want to lower the floor a few inches and fill it with rocks so there is an appropriate place to grow mold. I can't imagine anything important is underneath the deck

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Rytheric posted:

Dude you can easily lengthen the pipe and route it to go up the side and exhaust up away from you. More then likely the entire exhaust needs replaced anyways because it's a 90s piece of poo poo. You should be planning to replace it because any rust hole can and will leak into the box and kill you. Replace it and route it to shoot straight up to the sky so you don't die.

Edit. Look into the power system that the ambulance 350s have, you can probably easily retrofit one into your box truck and get a shitton of extra power and more efficient alternator setup that you can use. If you get lucky you can easily use that and it won't be as rough.

Better yet if you get a good deal on an end of life box ambulance you have something that has a full power system already in it, and a 240 hookup ready to go. Side not for anyone that wants to do this.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 31, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Dude you can easily lengthen the pipe and route it to go up the side and exhaust up away from you. More then likely the entire exhaust needs replaced anyways because it's a 90s piece of poo poo. You should be planning to replace it because any rust hole can and will leak into the box and kill you. Replace it and route it to shoot straight up to the sky so you don't die.

Edit. Look into the power system that the ambulance 350s have, you can probably easily retrofit one into your box truck and get a shitton of extra power and more efficient alternator setup that you can use. If you get lucky you can easily use that and it won't be as rough.

Better yet if you get a good deal on an end of life box ambulance you have something that has a full power system already in it, and a 240 hookup ready to go. Side not for anyone that wants to do this.

I actually replaced the catalytic converter that had a hole in it. Im not concerned otherwise. Not must rust down there. And I won't be in the back with it running as far as I can tell. I will replace it in due time though. Right now my concern with the vehicle is suspension and transmission problems.

Vehicle likes to die at stoplights and when im putting it in reverse sometimes. Doesn't happen if I manually throw it into neutral. If I don't have it in neutral it tries to kick forward while I'm waiting on the stoplight. Its like the Clutch won't stay engaged when in drive and stopped.

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

I’m more curious about the firepit. Are you planning a smoke hood of some sort?

Archismo
Nov 13, 2019
Okay this is hilarious and all but for real, be careful putting a firepit in your truck. You can probably do it if you really really want to but you're gonna want some sort of vent lmao. Otherwise that's gonna be real bad real fast.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

It's all good the fire pit is on the porch.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Rytheric posted:

That is actually the remnants of an ancient shitter. Basically its a movable concrete foundation pad with a riser that is suppose to be placed over the shitter pit. You build the outhouse onto of the concrete foundation. Then when the shitter is full (18 inches from the surface) you tear down the outhouse. Dig a pit next to it. Move the concrete foundation onto of that pit and bury the previously poo filled hole with the spoils of the pit you just dug. Then rebuild the outhouses on it. Its a transformative experience.

As a side note wells are not that big nowadays so don't bring up buckets of water of that when you see something in the woods that look like that.

Oh alright, here we just build them out of wood most of the time, no concrete so that's why I was confused.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

For clarification of the fire pit. The back of my box truck doesn't have a door on it. That section of my truck is just going to have a screen so smoke can just freely float out. I may put a fantastic fan above it though or vent.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Rytheric posted:

I'm going to suggest as politely as possible that not making something that could kill you a greater priority than your firepit (goddamn, amazing and I mean that) is a poor choice and wish you the absolute best of luck with the entire project.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Rytheric posted:

For clarification of the fire pit. The back of my box truck doesn't have a door on it. That section of my truck is just going to have a screen so smoke can just freely float out. I may put a fantastic fan above it though or vent.

I'm even more confused now.

You're gonna have a fire pit but no chimney? Just "oh there's an opening way over yonder"?

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

we need a 3D grovertruck render.

edit: i might draw a thing later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Digital Prophet posted:

we need a 3D grovertruck render.

edit: i might draw a thing later.

For proper dimensions of said rendering. My bedroom is 5.5 feet by 7 feet. The screened porch area is 7 feet by 7.5 feet of so and my closet spaces are 2 feet wide by 2.5 feet deep. Cab door is 24 inches wide. Back door is 48 inches wide.