Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nihonniboku posted:

I'd be curious to hear from people who also have never seen it before, but are just getting into it now. I never saw it before either, but I worry that after the evolution of television over the last 25 years, it might not hold up. I don't mind dated special effects, just as long as the storytelling holds up.

If it skews anything, I remember the special effects looking pretty rough and dated when the show was brand new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Inspector Hound posted:

He absolutely has not reached his final form.

Nic is gonna at least be nominated for another Oscar before he's done, I can feel it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

GD_American posted:

Keane Reeves....is good at what he does.

I think that's the crux. Keanu is VERY good at his strengths. Put him in a romcom like The Replacements and he's so bad the studios will memory hole certain scenes on dvd because their howlingly bad (e.g. his big romantic scene in that movie where he crosses a bar to kiss the romantic lead and entire way he's head nodding like a chicken to show attraction. Gone in the dvd release)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The John Wicks have also shown that Reeves is a very good physical/choreographic actor. Especially at his age it's very impressive, and the amount of practice and effort he puts in really elevates those movies.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

magiccarpet posted:

There are so many scenes in The Little Things that almost direct lifts from Seven. A Rami Malek is just so twitchy and hackerman to me.

When they drove to the field and he started digging holes my wife asked me "so is this where he reveals the box with the wife's head in it?"

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

magiccarpet posted:

There are so many scenes in The Little Things that almost direct lifts from Seven. A Rami Malek is just so twitchy and hackerman to me.

When they drove to the field and he started digging holes my wife asked me "so is this where he reveals the box with the wife's head in it?"

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The new season of American Gods is a snooze-fest so far. I guess I had my hopes a little too high.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I loving loved the 30 Coins pilot. Has anyone else watched any of the other episodes and are they as good as the pilot?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Perestroika posted:

The John Wicks have also shown that Reeves is a very good physical/choreographic actor. Especially at his age it's very impressive, and the amount of practice and effort he puts in really elevates those movies.

I think his best movies are action ones, aside from Bil & Ted. Speed, Matrix, John Wick, etc. The guy just has some weird charisma and everyone can instantly love him. Must be his immortal vampire glamour.

Nic Cage is another story, and yes, he can act much better. I'm loving that it seems he is trying to sneak in to the weird indy horror genre.

Uh. Eh. Streaming, yeah. I've ended up watching The One and Only Ivan out of boredom. It's...nice? Like nice, funny. It's of course a movie for children so don't expect anything deep about it. Although, I'm surprised that animal CGI has gone that far, I dunno if the gorilla was done with motion capture but that was quite decent for a "movie about silly talking animals".

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched Speed for the first time recently. Hopper really steals the show as the villain towards the end there.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Bonding season 2 was a nice surprise. They've shifted gears a bit; apparently the BDSM community was pretty pissed at their representation and the creator went to some lengths to get their input on things.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

I watched Speed for the first time recently. Hopper really steals the show as the villain towards the end there.

Don't ever watch the second one. In fact, it doesn't exist.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

Don't ever watch the second one. In fact, it doesn't exist.

I did last year and I will give you one counterpoint.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Desperado Bones posted:

I think his best movies are action ones, aside from Bil & Ted. Speed, Matrix, John Wick, etc. The guy just has some weird charisma and everyone can instantly love him. Must be his immortal vampire glamour.

Nic Cage is another story, and yes, he can act much better. I'm loving that it seems he is trying to sneak in to the weird indy horror genre.

Uh. Eh. Streaming, yeah. I've ended up watching The One and Only Ivan out of boredom. It's...nice? Like nice, funny. It's of course a movie for children so don't expect anything deep about it. Although, I'm surprised that animal CGI has gone that far, I dunno if the gorilla was done with motion capture but that was quite decent for a "movie about silly talking animals".

Color Out of Space is so fuckin good. I don't know how that movie flew under the radar

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Fartington Butts posted:

I did last year and I will give you one counterpoint.

Ok I had forgotten this.

Also I just finished Search Party, recommend, A- because the last two episodes seemed like they were trying to crash the show into a cliff or something, they were completely bizarre in general and then stuck you with the "it was all a dream" ending. On the other hand, 4 otherwise completely stellar seasons of a prestige TBS show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

Nic Cages best movie is the one where he builds a pool table and then destroys that same pool table. 100% unironic btw, Mom and Dad owns.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Nic Cage will always be best represented by the trinity of The Rock, Face/Off, and Con-Air for me. I should check out some of his newer work.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

MajorBonnet posted:

Nic Cage will always be best represented by the trinity of The Rock, Face/Off, and Con-Air for me. I should check out some of his newer work.

Anytime Nic Cage cones up I have to post this video in case someone hasn’t seen it. It’s so good.

https://youtu.be/R82yvQ72vJo

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Watched the Pepe the frog docu Feels Good Man, I thought it was a solid look at the beginnings of the internet alt-right and how it changed the life of Pepe's creator. The movie is well researched, though it felt a bit naive at points (just like his creator I guess). The "happy note" it ends with felt a bit forced. Dope animation work though!

It streamed for free on Twitch, VOD is here. It's quite an experience to watch it with the usual Twitch chat memes on the side :v: There's PVODs at the usual places as well, but they're not available outside the US.

As an aside, the choice of having Trihex host the documentary stream was very on point and no way unintentional, that with his own emote being co-opted as a racial slur by Twitch chat racists.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tainen posted:

I loving loved the 30 Coins pilot. Has anyone else watched any of the other episodes and are they as good as the pilot?

Yes.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Inspector Hound posted:

Also I just finished Search Party, recommend, A- because the last two episodes seemed like they were trying to crash the show into a cliff or something, they were completely bizarre in general and then stuck you with the "it was all a dream" ending. On the other hand, 4 otherwise completely stellar seasons of a prestige TBS show.

We're just starting S2E1 and :lol: holy poo poo this is the finest cringe comedy I've ever seen.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

MajorBonnet posted:

Well consider his neo trinity: Mandy, Color Out of Space, Drive Angry
(honorable mentions: bad lt. port of call NO, mom and dad)

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Nic Cage should turn up in John Wick at some point

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
While I loved Mandy and Cage is perfectly cast,. Color Out of Space was close, but it was a missed opportunity to me (I do give it credit for going full tilt Lovecraft). Also I didn't like Cage in the movie. He just felt off from the start to me and while I am in the minority here I felt like he was mis-casted. Overall I was disappointed coming off that Mandy high.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 31, 2021

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Does Matchstick Men hold up? I really loved that as a kid and always think of that as one of my favorite Cage performances.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Trying to imagine Harrison Ford or Dennis Quaid starring in Leaving Las Vegas and I'm pretty sure the result would be borderline unwatchable.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
weirdly enough I started watching Mythbusters again last week and commented to my gf that a jamie/james may show would be good

*monkeys paw curls*

this richard hammond/tory from mythbusters show is the cheesiest cast members bringing the cheesiest parts of their respective shows into one poo poo show. I don't even know who this is for? Children would be insulted by it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Richard Hammond already hosted a bad Mythbusters knockoff, Brainiac.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Harrison Ford's appeal is his grumpiness, Quaid's is aged fratboy dad, and Cage's is quirky weirdness. I don't see many movies where their skills would overlap, at all.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

GD_American posted:

Harrison Ford's appeal is his grumpiness, Quaid's is aged fratboy dad, and Cage's is quirky weirdness. I don't see many movies where their skills would overlap, at all.

I'm pretty sure movie producers see Quaid as a look a like for Ford and paying him with coke lying around is a savings

Not like they need him to act in the poo poo he's in

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Quaid always was to me, a weird blend of working actor and star. Like, if you just needed an actor who was a name and had a certain price range, plug him in and he'll give you the same level of effort as any other project.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I loooooved loved the first half of Mandy just for being so visually mesmerizing, hypnotic, etc and not so much the second half, but it's also overall an ode to the sort of white people poo poo aesthetic (DRAGONS!!! METAL!!!!!! EPIC!!!!) that I haven't ever remotely been into. I remember liking Beyond the Black Rainbow when I saw it but that was a while ago, not sure which one I favor at this point but I'm really happy Panos Cosmatos finally made another movie.

nate fisher posted:

Color Out of Space was close, but it was a missed opportunity to me (I do give it credit for going full tilt Lovecraft). =
Same, but still, some cool effects.

Peak Cage for me will always be him in Bad Lieutenant just SUP SUP SUP SUP SUP SUP SUP SUP SUP

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

nate fisher posted:

Color Out of Space was close, but it was a missed opportunity to me (I do give it credit for going full tilt Lovecraft). Also I didn't like Cage in the movie. He just felt off from the start to me and while I am in the minority here I felt like he was mis-casted. Overall I was disappointed coming off that Mandy high.

Funny since I just watched it and felt the same and felt a little crazy for not loving it. Cage just didn't quite fit for me and I was getting outright bored in the middle. The last 20-30 minutes saved it for me though, great to see it just go for it.

I'm curious if you read the original story, since I think that was the problem for me. I liked the story and a big part of the creepiness in it is that it's happening to some random, innocent family that's living a quiet life and that are really ill-equipped conceptually to deal with it. Having them be quirky and conflicted right off the bat took me out of it a little. But that might just be because I knew the story going in.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Every family has weird quirks and conflicts though? That's not a stretch by any means.

Field Mousepad fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 31, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I don't think I've seen people talk about the streaming service Kanopy often on here, if at all. It's a free streaming service where you use your library ID to log in.

I just watched God's Own Country. I had been avoiding watching it on Amazon Prime because I heard that the one on Amazon was an American edit, while the one on Kanopy is uncut. No pun intended. I took a look around at the collection on Kanopy, and it's pretty extensive, with lots of classic or art house films.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm curious if you read the original story, since I think that was the problem for me. I liked the story and a big part of the creepiness in it is that it's happening to some random, innocent family that's living a quiet life and that are really ill-equipped conceptually to deal with it. Having them be quirky and conflicted right off the bat took me out of it a little. But that might just be because I knew the story going in.

Nothing about them seemed very weird to me. The teens are acting out a little bit (as teens do) and there’s some tension about the decision to move out there in the first place, but without the meteor they would have been fairly mundane.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Quaid was bananas in that evil landlord movie. He should dedicate the next phase of his career to being an utter ham.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nihonniboku posted:

I don't think I've seen people talk about the streaming service Kanopy often on here, if at all. It's a free streaming service where you use your library ID to log in.

I just watched God's Own Country. I had been avoiding watching it on Amazon Prime because I heard that the one on Amazon was an American edit, while the one on Kanopy is uncut. No pun intended. I took a look around at the collection on Kanopy, and it's pretty extensive, with lots of classic or art house films.

It gets mentioned in here every once in a while. It all depends on if your library system or school subscribe to it. I use a .edu to access it. The content also depends on what type of subscription your institute has.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Who was Supergirl 1980s made for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Field Mousepad posted:

Every family has weird quirks and conflicts though? That's not a stretch by any means.

I mean, it opens on a teen witch doing Wicca stuff at the creek to cure her mom's cancer. Plus Cage starts out a little too off, with his whole "alpacas are the future" thing. It's a little out there, and really, really out there compared to the story. That's why it stood out to me. I guess it just ended up feeling a little uneven to me, although I guess that that's also the problem with trying to adapt a short story.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 1, 2021