Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Daric posted:

Lightweavers can shoot radiation and Dustbringers can split atoms so no, I don't think an Allomancer/Feruchemist would beat a Herald.

I actually think the Nahel bond is meant to prevent this, which is why the honour blades are regarded as so dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Well the current heralds have a loose grip on sanity, so I feel like emotional manipulation would be pretty effective.

A shot of Duralumin+Zinc on one of them sounds like a really bad plan, yea

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tunicate posted:

bondsmithing seems to be shortranged tho

It really doesn't. (ROW end spoilers)Dalinar was able to affect Kaladin from halfway across the world and there's no indication that he needed to actually see Kaladin, rather that when he saw Kaladin through the storm he knew he needed to act and help.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

It really doesn't. (ROW end spoilers)Dalinar was able to affect Kaladin from halfway across the world and there's no indication that he needed to actually see Kaladin, rather that when he saw Kaladin through the storm he knew he needed to act and help.
that's kind of a unique scenario though - Dalinar gets his bond smith powers from bonding the stormfather, a massive spren shard of Honor that spans entire continents as it blows around the world. You could argue it was still short range because the storm, spren, and dalinar are all one and already Connected

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I assume they mean the part where Ishar literally sees Connection and changes it, which we've only ever seen happen shortrange. Obviously Dalinar, standing in the shoes of the Stormfather, can do some things at a distance when he really wants to, but no idea if the more terrifying things Ishar did could be done as well.

Anyways, from what we've seen of Heralds, I think there's no real chance that someone like Marsh could take out any in a pure head-to-head combat (barring assassination, which either could do to the other). An endless amount of stormlight for healing, thousands of years of combat experience, and whatever unbound powers their blades give them are just too much for a single mistborn feruchemist to overcome without surprise or trickery, especially considering they need to basically never be seriously hit by the shardblade. Feruchemical healing is incredibly powerful but just cannot deal with shardblades from what we know.

That said, I'm very excited to see Scadrians with various power combinations fight surgebinders, which I assume will mostly happen between much lower-powered people and will be a lot of fun.

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 27, 2021

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Emotional allomancy vs the various messed up mental states of the radiants is either going to be a total drag to read or extremely entertaining.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

External Organs posted:

Emotional allomancy vs the various messed up mental states of the radiants is either going to be a total drag to read or extremely entertaining.

i have a strong feeling that they might be so Invested that it's nearly impossible without like Lord Ruler levels of power

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

eke out posted:

Feruchemical healing is incredibly powerful but just cannot deal with shardblades from what we know.

nah that's confirmed as working

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

nah that's confirmed as working

ah you're right there's a wob saying so, i thought they couldn't heal the spiritual damage or whatever

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I thought there was still some mystery around what some Helamurgy spikes actually do.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 27, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Calidus posted:

I thought there were still some mystery around what some Helamurgy spikes actually do.

Oh, there are quite a few mysteries. If you browse the coppermind, it will tell you the allomancy, ferruchemy and hemalurgy powers of each metal. But at least half of the metals have under hemalurgy "metal x steals an unknown quality or power".

Edit: I take back what I wrote about the coppermind, there was apparently an hemalurgic table released that revealed the hemalurgic properties of all metals.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 27, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Oh, there are quite a few mysteries. If you browse the coppermind, it will tell you the allomancy, ferruchemy and hemalurgy powers of each metal. But at least half of the metals have under hemalurgy "metal x steals an unknown quality or power".

Edit: I take back what I wrote about the coppermind, there was apparently an hemalurgic table released that revealed the hemalurgic properties of all metals.

a table which has a few in-universe mistakes, too

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I've been reading the Mistborn trilogy to my wife because I felt that I had to share it with her. It's wild because I almost never reread books and I went from listening to the audiobooks to almost immediately starting over reading the paperbacks to her. We wrapped The Final Empire recently and currently just finished part 1 of Well of Ascension. We keep a pace of about 20 or so pages a night (except when she had me binge read the final 100 or so pages of The Final Empire in a five hour marathon one day.)

I really do think that this trilogy is my favorite set of books I've ever read. Majority of the problems I had with my first time experiencing them feel not nearly as significant the second time around.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

So I've been reading the Mistborn trilogy to my wife because I felt that I had to share it with her. It's wild because I almost never reread books and I went from listening to the audiobooks to almost immediately starting over reading the paperbacks to her. We wrapped The Final Empire recently and currently just finished part 1 of Well of Ascension. We keep a pace of about 20 or so pages a night (except when she had me binge read the final 100 or so pages of The Final Empire in a five hour marathon one day.)

I really do think that this trilogy is my favorite set of books I've ever read. Majority of the problems I had with my first time experiencing them feel not nearly as significant the second time around.

Thank you for sharing your impressions, you reading with your wife probably gives you a dose of what we get hearing your takes :kimchi:

Also I think you will love stormlight archives :allears:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Brandon really did a lot right with his writings. Elantris and Warbreaker are not that good (although Warbreaker has it's charms, imho), but Mistborn is excellent. The Final Empire is a gripping book that both works well as a standalone novel, as well as making you hungry to read more. The trilogy is great, even if Well of Ascension has it's weak spots, but Hero of Ages pick sup the slack and just devolves into an amazing Sanderlanche. And the story has a satisfactory ending. This is a great introduction to new readers, and makes it that much more likely that they will try Stormlight Archive, Mistborn 2 or any of the standalones.

Unrelated, some questions about the dawnshards (Dawnshard/RoW spoilers):If I understand correctly, they were the Commands Adonalsium used to create the Cosmere, right? As Nik said, the greatest application of investiture need an Intent and Command beyond mortal comprehension, the dawnshards are a god's will made manifest, basically. So why were they separate from Adonalsium? Did he create them at the beginning of time, and then used them to create the Cosmere? That would seem kinda strange, aren't will and intent something internal? Did he later divest himself from the dawnshards? If so, why? And why did he let them be somewhere unsecured, so that they could be used to destroy him?

Also, isn't the relationship between the dawnshards and the shards of Adonalsium kinda distant? We assume 4 dawnshards + 16 shards = 1 dawnshard connected to 4 shards. But they weren't part of Adonalsium when he was killed, why should the resulting 16 shards map neatly to the 4 dawnshards?

And lastly, as Honor's monologue in one of the visions indicates, "without the dawnshards" (notice the plural), at least two of them were on Roshar, and possibly under Honor's control? What did the murderers of Adonalsium do with the dawnshard after they had used them to splinter a god? Leaving them unsupervised would seem pretty unwise, since they could probably be used to destroy a shard as easily as to destroy Adonalsium. One possibility is that they gave them to Honor, who then promised not to use them? But it very much seems to me that he used at least one dawnshard to trap Odium in the Rosharan system. Perhaps he promised to not "misuse" them? Or perhaps they split them up, and gave the four most trustworthy shards control of one dawnshard each?

It's also curious that Odium doesn't seem to care about the dawnshards, especially considering that there are apparently renegade Sleepness who joined his side and surely informed him of one being on Akinah?

I know a lot of questions will probably be answered much later in the writing, but I'm wondering if I have misunderstoood some things as well. And speculation is always fun, of course.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I started with Mistborn Trilogy and it definitely did prompt me to go on to TSA. I know last time I brought it up a lot of folks in here were like "actually, Mistborn 2 is way better written." Even if that's true, I don't think the characters or drama compare at all. I still have more Sanderson to read but I consider The Final Empire my favorite of his books. I've read it more than any of the others and it never gets old.

And TSA while showing his matured writing, also has great character sand drama. Oathbringer is my other favorite novel of his.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
And for all that Sanderson gets complaints that his books are too tame, if you think about it, Mistborn is really dark. Like what does the average Skaa say to the average peasant of Westeros?

"Wow, you see sunshine! Your sky is not permanently clouded by ash. You're not haunted at night by mists! You have flowers and other colorful plants! You can wash yourself in a river and won't be covered by ash soot like at most an hour after taking a bath! You are not suffering under an immortal, cruel ruler! You have a great life!"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Torrannor posted:

And for all that Sanderson gets complaints that his books are too tame, if you think about it, Mistborn is really dark. Like what does the average Skaa say to the average peasant of Westeros?

"Wow, you see sunshine! Your sky is not permanently clouded by ash. You're not haunted at night by mists! You have flowers and other colorful plants! You can wash yourself in a river and won't be covered by ash soot like at most an hour after taking a bath! You are not suffering under an immortal, cruel ruler! You have a great life!"

Most Sanderson complainers I talk to feel like they've been playing telephone or some poo poo. "All his books are copied from Video Game manuals!!!"

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Torrannor posted:

And for all that Sanderson gets complaints that his books are too tame

Besides the accusation about the books being video gamey, the other main complaint is he doesn't write characters having sex on the page. Which honestly confuses me, like if you want erotica go read erotica :confused: I enjoy being able to focus on the fantasy adventure with epic battles and magic without having to deal with the author's kinks constantly being shoved in my face.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Leng posted:

Besides the accusation about the books being video gamey, the other main complaint is he doesn't write characters having sex on the page. Which honestly confuses me, like if you want erotica go read erotica :confused: I enjoy being able to focus on the fantasy adventure with epic battles and magic without having to deal with the author's kinks constantly being shoved in my face.

Also, why do people want to read poorly written sex scenes? They are typically horrendous in mainstream books.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Leng posted:

In the past, (very early) Sanderson was bad about not including any kind of sexuality in his books. You had married characters that didn't do so much as hold hands or kiss, it seemed like. Which is fine, but it definitely made characters that seemed to lack a fundamental bit of humanity.

He has grown quite well in this regard. I especially note (mistborn era 2 mild spoilers) Wayne and a Kandra experimenting with different combinations. Yeah it's off-page but it's explicitly stated and mostly just accepted

In Stormlight it's accepted that some people have sex and enjoy it, whether married or not, and including attraction to same-sex partners. That makes the world a little more realistic compared to a planet of comparative ascetics or where everyone just denies that it's an important part of most people's lives.

Another foible is him avoiding references to intoxicating substances and cursing. He's clearly eased himself into that with made-up drinks and cutesy swearing, but has lately gone into more realistic depictions of (fun) drunkenness and addiction, and used a good drat on occasion.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

DarkHorse posted:

In the past, (very early) Sanderson was bad about not including any kind of sexuality in his books. You had married characters that didn't do so much as hold hands or kiss, it seemed like. Which is fine, but it definitely made characters that seemed to lack a fundamental bit of humanity.

He has grown quite well in this regard. I especially note (mistborn era 2 mild spoilers) Wayne and a Kandra experimenting with different combinations. Yeah it's off-page but it's explicitly stated and mostly just accepted

In Stormlight it's accepted that some people have sex and enjoy it, whether married or not, and including attraction to same-sex partners. That makes the world a little more realistic compared to a planet of comparative ascetics or where everyone just denies that it's an important part of most people's lives.

Another foible is him avoiding references to intoxicating substances and cursing. He's clearly eased himself into that with made-up drinks and cutesy swearing, but has lately gone into more realistic depictions of (fun) drunkenness and addiction, and used a good drat on occasion.

It was noticeably bad in Elantris, but Warbreaker definitely had married characters having sex. There was a lot of "fade to black" etc and he often left it ambiguous (see Vin/Elend for example; I always read them as sleeping together though others might not have). That scene in Mistborn Era 2 was hilarious.

The in-world cursing he's always had from the beginning (see "Merciful Domi" in Elantris). But I think the real world instance that sticks out most in my memory is in Words of Radiance when Adolin verbatim tells Shallan that he has shat his Shardplate before. I had to read it twice because I kind of couldn't believe that he wrote that one in. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Torrannor posted:

Unrelated, some questions about the dawnshards (Dawnshard/RoW spoilers):If I understand correctly, they were the Commands Adonalsium used to create the Cosmere, right? As Nik said, the greatest application of investiture need an Intent and Command beyond mortal comprehension, the dawnshards are a god's will made manifest, basically. So why were they separate from Adonalsium? Did he create them at the beginning of time, and then used them to create the Cosmere? That would seem kinda strange, aren't will and intent something internal? Did he later divest himself from the dawnshards? If so, why? And why did he let them be somewhere unsecured, so that they could be used to destroy him?

I might've missed it in a WoB but IIRC there's nothing to put Adonalsium as God, they're at most a look case g god or maybe a god-like entity, similar to Q in Star Trek. It's entirely possible they gave the shards to their chosen people as a way to allow them further control over their destiny. It's entirely possible they gave away the dawnshards with the full knowledge it would be their undoing in the future and that it was deemed an acceptable thing as part of the natural progress of the Cosmere's existence.

Or maybe they were just blinded by arrogance and didn't see the threat in front of them. We've seen it from the Shardbearers and even an individual Shard is a god-tier entity to mortals.

HidaO-Win posted:

Also, why do people want to read poorly written sex scenes? They are typically horrendous in mainstream books.

Because the internet is, above all else, incredibly horny.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

We don't really know what happened besides little hints. It's entirely possible the Dawnshards predate Adonalsium, and the capital G god made them to create the Cosmere, like the biblical archangels or something. Adonalsium could have just been Thanos with the infinity stones and beaten by the 17 Cosmere Avengers.

(not spoilering this because it's 100% speculation on my part)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

my read is that the commands are Daddy Addy's expanded knowledge and will; the Shards provide expansiveness of mind and power

It's clear, to me, that most of the post-Shattering Vessels are completely unfit for the task of truly wrangling their shardic intent; maybe Addy had a leg up because he had a gigantic advantage in willpower

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Is it confirmed that Adonalsium had a personality? Might as well that all shard bearers will deteriorate eventually since the power is incompatible with personhood.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Junkozeyne posted:

Is it confirmed that Adonalsium had a personality? Might as well that all shard bearers will deteriorate eventually since the power is incompatible with personhood.

I mean they describe Adonalsium as a person at points, so maybe?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

KKKLIP ART posted:

I mean they describe Adonalsium as a person at points, so maybe?

I think the individual shards are incompatible long term with a person, the difference with Adolansium is he had all of those parts. People have all of the aspects of a shard, but it you take just a persons desire to preserve things it gets messed up. Same with hate, or honor, or any of the other shards. It shows with Harmony. Harmony's issue is perfect balance, but if you also had all the other shards and intents you could actually do things because there's no way it would be perfectly balanced all the time.

So for example if you wanted to keep a forest around, Harmony would suck at it. He'd have to preserve all the trees while Ruin was trying to knock it down. Throw in Cultivation, though, and you end up with preserving the forest as a whole, but having to ruin some of the trees to cultivate some new growth. The addition of a new shard's intent allows things to happen because it's no longer perfectly balanced, it's more like a person. Shattering Adolnasium made very powerful shards that are nowhere near as powerful separated because they can't really work together. Adolnasium would have all of them and could do pretty much anything.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Right but my point was more that I think it is referred to as a person. Don’t know if it is intended to be capital-g god or someone imbued with all the shards and the intent for reasons unknown. The shattering seems like they were killed and then the shards split from there

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

KKKLIP ART posted:

Right but my point was more that I think it is referred to as a person. Don’t know if it is intended to be capital-g god or someone imbued with all the shards and the intent for reasons unknown. The shattering seems like they were killed and then the shards split from there

Sorry, I wrote it poorly but I agree with you. I was more responding to how the individual shards might be bad for people, but if just one person held them, in this case Adolansium, they could handle them just fine. So one shard would eventually overwhelm a person, but if one person had all 16 they'd just be a really, really powerful person.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Yeah I think with all the shards, you can hit a point of equilibrium and act with power due to the shards and having the intent.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So at this point is it safe to say that one of the end results of the Stormlight Archives will be (ROW ending spoilers) Odium will be combined with the collected remnants of Honor, resulting in the creation of a War shard? Considering a mix of Honor and Odium essence creates Warlight.

That will then lead to the long term conflict between Roshar and Scadrial because War, who will probably be built off of Odium, will see an honorable conquest of the Cosmere and bringing everyone under their control as a way to save them all?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

So at this point is it safe to say that one of the end results of the Stormlight Archives will be (ROW ending spoilers) Odium will be combined with the collected remnants of Honor, resulting in the creation of a War shard? Considering a mix of Honor and Odium essence creates Warlight.

That will then lead to the long term conflict between Roshar and Scadrial because War, who will probably be built off of Odium, will see an honorable conquest of the Cosmere and bringing everyone under their control as a way to save them all?

don't think it's safe

it's one of the more obvious things that could happen (at least based on fan theories) which always makes me suspect a twist is coming. on the other hand, taravangian is the person that Cultivation thinks can bear odium "with honor" so lol the theory may be right anyways

the other thing is that, by Sixth of Dusk, it seems like both Roshar and Scadrial are expanding colonialist empires -- the conflict doesn't appear to be that Roshar under War is expanding and threatening everyone, it seems like they've actively competing for new worlds. it's easier to see how Roshar gets to that point via Odium + Honor than it is to figure out how Scadrial does with Harmony (i still like my theory that Preservation + Ruin would allow the shard to preserve the imperial core culture while bringing ruin to the worlds they take over, but it's hard to see Sazed getting to that philosophy, unless someone else controls the shards or sazed's mind is basically subsumed into them like Ati's was)

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 1, 2021

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

eke out posted:

don't think it's safe

it's one of the more obvious things that could happen (at least based on fan theories) which always makes me suspect a twist is coming. on the other hand, taravangian is the person that Cultivation thinks can bear odium "with honor" so lol the theory may be right anyways

the other thing is that, by Sixth of Dusk, it seems like both Roshar and Scadrial are expanding colonialist empires -- the conflict doesn't appear to be that Roshar under War is expanding and threatening everyone, it seems like they've actively competing for new worlds. it's easier to see how Roshar gets to that point via Odium + Honor than it is to figure out how Scadrial does with Harmony (i still like my theory that Preservation + Ruin would allow the shard to preserve the imperial core culture while bringing ruin to the worlds they take over, but it's hard to see Sazed getting to that philosophy, unless someone else controls the shards or sazed's mind is basically subsumed into them like Ati's was)

I believe there's just a bit more Ruin than Preservation in Harmony. That could easily lead to gradual decline. One of the easiest ways to counter decline is aggressive expansion.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

eke out posted:

don't think it's safe

Given how Sazed treated Wax and Lessie I think the *most optimistic case* is him going full 'Terris Man's Burden', 'you savages don't know what's best for you, even if I kill you by the score'

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Evil Fluffy posted:

It could just as easily be Honor + Cultivation = Science, or War + Cultivation = ??? Civilization? Conquest?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Given how Sazed treated Wax and Lessie I think the *most optimistic case* is him going full 'Terris Man's Burden', 'you savages don't know what's best for you, even if I kill you by the score'

i think the most optimistic case is that he remains basically bound by his Intent and that whatever bad things Scadrians are doing to the galaxy, it's not directly because he supports it

but yeah there's lots of ways he could decline between what we see in Era 2 and however far in the future Sixth of Dust is (hundreds of years, seems like). he also could decide aggression is right, not for moustache-twirling "i will uplift the savages" reasons, but for some kinda of at least nominally justifiable reason, in the face of other Shards actively trying to gently caress with his world + learning more about the state/origins of the Cosmere and what the others are doing

eke out fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 1, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think Sazed being more hands off is the most likely explanation for Scadrial going all "colonialism is great". It's not like humans ever needed divine prodding to get imperialism going, and it would be a nice contrast to an Taravodium/War incited imperialistic Roshar.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
When does Elantris pick up and stop being a bunch of people standing around spouting proper nouns at each other?

I’m curious to finish this book, it’s just incredible how slow it feels to start due to the split narrative format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

When does Elantris pick up and stop being a bunch of people standing around spouting proper nouns at each other?

I’m curious to finish this book, it’s just incredible how slow it feels to start due to the split narrative format.

Imho around chapter 40, although the Sanderlanche proper doesn't start until a bit after chapter 50 (of 63 chapters).

Fake edit: Don't know if the audiobook is divided into chapters, if you post what happened in the latest chapter you listened to, we can give you a more accurate estimation.