Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Life before the internet. It was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Browsing through the phonebook looking for funny names of people to prank call is a joy these young punks will never know.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
So when Fran bought me this avatar, which I somehow never knew until this day, Kvlt! was like 14 years old.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

How old is Kvlt! anyway? Like 20? That means he was 2 or 3 when I registered for the forums. WTF.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My account is almost as old as Kvlt!s real life body

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

Life before the internet. It was amazing.

I definitely sometimes miss those days, when things were word of mouth or you had to go to a library to figure things out

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Kvlt! posted:

hah old people

Wait, how do you even know who Gene Ween is? I barely know about Ween, I was like 12 when they were at their peak.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

How old is Kvlt! anyway? Like 20? That means he was 2 or 3 when I registered for the forums. WTF.

Im 22, i got bought an account when I was 14

King Vidiot posted:

Wait, how do you even know who Gene Ween is? I barely know about Ween, I was like 12 when they were at their peak.

Big Ween fan. Fran actually introduced me to them a few years ago in the discord and Ive gotten to see Ween and Dean Ween Group since! One of my fav bands

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

I definitely sometimes miss those days, when things were word of mouth or you had to go to a library to figure things out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAMD3vmumMU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I think there was this feeling as a kid, especially with horror, that film history is this sort of puzzle to put together.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

aware of dog posted:

Oh poo poo, Nic Cage in a Sion Sono movie? That’s a day one watch for me

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This link has a video for Unearthed's newest release/restoration of Olaf Ittenbach's No Reason. I don't know why you don't have to pay for it, maybe a glitch on their end, but it's free and legal and pretty great video quality if you're an Ittenbach fan

Please be advised the website is :nws: https://vimeo.com/channels/unearthedfilmsextreme/488777860 :nws:

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I recently came across a piece of SOV trash from the Jersey Shore called Sandy Hook Lingerie Party Massacre which is saved from total worthnessness by 1. actual, unsimulated body piercing and 2. some scenes shot at the abandoned Palace Amusements arcade in Asbury Park a few years before it was it torn down.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Well that was really stupid. I mean I knew what I was getting into but the ending... so it's all a game, which was obvious to me. But then he murders the guy (or just severely beats the gently caress out of him. hard to tell) after he escapes... basically in the same room where everybody is waiting to pop out and surprise him. And nobody is like "bro knock it off!", or stops him? Everybody just sort of gasps. And even if there was some sort of divider...It's all being streamed live with everyone watching. super dumb Not that it was great until then, but drat.

I also watched and really enjoyed Invisible man, which also had some minor movie logic problems. There's no way he doesn't bump into anyone in that restaurant scene but nothing that took me out of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hunter hunter sure has quite the ending lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ambitious Spider posted:

Well that was really stupid. I mean I knew what I was getting into but the ending... so it's all a game, which was obvious to me. But then he murders the guy (or just severely beats the gently caress out of him. hard to tell) after he escapes... basically in the same room where everybody is waiting to pop out and surprise him. And nobody is like "bro knock it off!", or stops him? Everybody just sort of gasps. And even if there was some sort of divider...It's all being streamed live with everyone watching. super dumb Not that it was great until then, but drat.

I also watched and really enjoyed Invisible man, which also had some minor movie logic problems. There's no way he doesn't bump into anyone in that restaurant scene but nothing that took me out of it.

Yeah this movie was just awful. The twist was so obvious the second they leave the original area, that I just watched the rest of the movie with total confidence in knowing what was happening. Obviously I didn't predict him killing the guy. And he definitely did, he head is completely caved in in the last shot, but I had the exact same thought. Everyone was in the drat room. Why didn't they all just run out after he threw the first punch? So bad.

I also watched Death of Me the same night and it was less bad but not great either. I appreciated what it was trying to do at least. I just don't think it pulled it off very well.

Hunter Hunter was pretty solid. Up next is The Dark and The Wicked. Has a pretty decent RT score, so fingers crossed.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

veni veni veni posted:

Hunter hunter sure has quite the ending lol.

The ending really puts it over the top. The first 2/3 of the movie lulled me into a paint-by-numbers type of comfort following a family living off-the-grid and dealing with not only nature, but also familial tensions. That last 20 or so minutes swerved it into recommendable territory for me.

Speaking of goon-recommended flicks, I finally got around to She Dies Tomorrow. All I can say is that I'm glad I watched it by myself and not with my SO who has been going through some rough times with work and life. It's basically a mood piece that is dread and despair put to film. The voyeurism created by the shots through doorways heightened the feeling that I was seeing into these characters' inner beings, and the amorphous nature of the ?infection? is almost too real when it comes to how people can bring each other down emotionally in their relationships. I don't intend to ever watch it again, but I'm glad it exists and I look forward to further work by Amy Seimetz. This was a raw nerve, and I hope she continues in that same vein.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
I tried to watch The Beyond on Amazon Prime in the UK but for some reason the copy they had uploaded had audio massively out of sync with the image. I don't just mean in the standard Italian movie way, like a man gets out of a car and slams the door and a good 6 seconds later you hear the sound effects play. Couldn't get past 5 minutes. Seems to be an issue with some odder cult movies on Amazon where someone's just put some random rip onto the site and left it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/ReelBrew/status/1355399005807775744?s=20

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I dunno, I'm bummed this movie isn't about a lady with super human strength who can't stop accidentally dismembering people.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Had to check I was watching the correct film after starting The Empty Man, quite the prologue.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Is The Empty Man good? I've seen the trailer for it but I get ByeBye man and Truth or Dare vibes from it, where the big evil thing is not only named weird, the movie sucks and the "horror" is just snapchat filters.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I just finished The Empty Man. There are some cool sequences but it is needlessly convoluted and I am not sure how I feel about the ending. It can also look flatly lit and shot a lot of the time. I love James Badge Dale and don't think the movie is bad though.

The Dark And The Wicked was cool. Xander Berkley has a small role that I didn't expect from him.

Red_Museum posted:

Had to check I was watching the correct film after starting The Empty Man, quite the prologue.

Same. I was like "Is this the right film?" for a good 15 minutes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

rewatched Arachnophobia for the first time since well...it was relatively new. Mid 90's maybe. It's still a pretty fun movie.

The thing that was weird as hell to me is how different the ending was from what I remembered. I distinctly remember the climax being John Goodman dying heroically while fighting a giant spider the size of a dog with a flamethrower. To the point that I actually have the image of it perfectly stored in my head. Absolutely none of that happens lol.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Psycho Goreman was pretty good. I appreciated the Power Rangers aesthetic.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

how do u have a movie called psycho goreman and not have nudity in it. pass.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Psycho Goreman was really good. great alien designs, goopy as hell, little girl killing cops. some good vore

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

What movie is this? Is it all about this lady accidentally beheading people when she bitch slaps them? Because I would adore that.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What movie is this? Is it all about this lady accidentally beheading people when she bitch slaps them? Because I would adore that.

"Accidentally."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

how do u have a movie called psycho goreman and not have nudity in it. pass.

Half the cast is children so lol.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

According to the replies, it’s Dream Demon

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Half the cast is children so lol.

i just looked it up and its a VERY different movie than i thought it was gonna be lmao

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

i just looked it up and its a VERY different movie than i thought it was gonna be lmao

Whoever described it as an updated, deranged version of Suburban Commando is completely right.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

It’s very funny and sweet and silly. It’s a blast.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

prob gonna throw it on tonight it looks like a fun movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to resist renting it because it's gonna be on Shudder in like 6 weeks or so.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Shadow in the Cloud should be a film I love to bits. How did they make it so loving BAD? My partner literally asked "are you SURE this was written and directed by a woman?" after the bag twist and left the room.

e: Oh, Max Landis. I see.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rewritten from his script

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
What was the deal with summer camp in the late 70's/early 80's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

What was the deal with summer camp in the late 70's/early 80's?
More and more suburban families had two working parents at the time, and when school was out they had to get rid of their kids somehow. For a period in between "Mom was home all summer" and "You can't send kids anywhere alone or they will immediately get molested" it was a pretty universal experience.