Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

JFC you ain't joking. I just finished the second walk back to Mountain Knot, starting at South Knot, at the end of ep5; on the way I passed by the last paver next to Mountain Knot and literally said "loving excuse me?" out loud :v:

That was a real strange couple of non sequiturs at the end there, plotwise; I suspect I've seen nothing yet, but still. Start of ep6 rip Mama, but at least they sort-of explained why she died when I arrived. But where the gently caress did "Lou" come from :psyduck:

and speaking of Lou, I already do not like the gimmick they've started the episode out with :mad:

Be sure to shout a lot

night slime fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

night slime posted:

Be sure to shout a lot

I've just been avoiding 'fall like a coward, like gently caress i'm dealing with what I can't see

Between AT leggings and zip lines the game has gotten way easier. Not that I'm complaining, not a game really based on difficulty per se

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still wish those weren't in honestly, they kinda gently caress with the pacing. Or largely eliminate the core mechanics, depending on how harsh you want to be.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I still wish those weren't in honestly, they kinda gently caress with the pacing. Or largely eliminate the core mechanics, depending on how harsh you want to be.

yeah I was thinking if I ever play through this again I would go Conduct mode and either refuse to use them or limit them heavily

Holy crap though, I just finished episode six, and getting to/from the mountaineer and spiritualist would be loving monstrous without them, so, who knows if it's a good thing or not,

(e) Playing a conduct like that would certainly get me using Floating Carriers more, those things are amazing cheat devices long as you don't need rope or a steep ladder

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 30, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh ffs not another combat heavy episode :mad: break time

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The snow sort of necessitates using them yes, but I don't know if that was a necessary design decision or that they have to have such an effect outside of it either.

And yeah, combat was my other gripe too. Not that it's bad, but that it's not quite good enough to justify how hard the game leans on it as it goes on.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
These ghosts are ruining my scenic postman experience. What the gently caress was Kojima on when he thought this poo poo up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did like it more when you were trying to evade them rather than shooting them all.

I dunno, it's a good game and certainly one of the most ambitious games I've ever played but it does feel like it kind of... drifted away from itself towards the end?

And I don't know if that's an important way to keep the experience fresh or whether it kind of just undermines what I think are really solid core mechanics.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dilettante. posted:

These ghosts are ruining my scenic postman experience. What the gently caress was Kojima on when he thought this poo poo up.

Let me guess you're on the way to the Wind Farm

night slime
May 14, 2014

Dilettante. posted:

I like that the BTs inflict stress. There's stress in life. I'm not saying that in a "tough poo poo" way, just that it's neat that they communicate a concept the way they do. I guess I could be alone in reading this stuff into it but I like that a gameplay mechanic periodically evokes uncertainty and fear, where a duller game would have the character going "gently caress, I am having a bad day because I was reminded about something" out loud.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I'm not really finding the BTs stressful, just annoying. You move slowly and press R1 when they get close, repeat x100. It's boring.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Yeah the game comes apart pretty fast once you master the mechanics sadly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

night slime posted:

Yeah the game comes apart pretty fast once you master the mechanics sadly.

It was definitely more compelling before I realized Sam is, in fact, a ballerina once you know all the tells and tricks

Hasn't ruined the game; lessened it maybe, and certainly changed its character though

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

Let me guess you're on the way to the Wind Farm

I've been to the Wind farm once on foot, and the next time I scooted around the edges on the bike, and I've entirely avoided it since then lol.

I just let the BT's catch me and then throw handfuls of piss and blood at the resulting tar whale. gently caress all this sneaking around poo poo, I can't do it on the bike. *Don't Give Up!* (0 likes)

Im just finishing up the first lot of deliveries on the central region now.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I completed a road to a distribution center earlier today. Came back only a couple hours later and it was already covered all over with signs from other players and random stuff they dropped. It's great how alive this game still feels a year later.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
So what's the deal with the rumored Extended Edition?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm not really finding the BTs stressful, just annoying. You move slowly and press R1 when they get close, repeat x100. It's boring.

You still sneaking around bt’s?

Just bolo them and walk right past them. Just don’t walk directly into one.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Thundercracker posted:

It's rumored.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Romes128 posted:

You still sneaking around bt’s?

Just bolo them and walk right past them. Just don’t walk directly into one.

If they're really getting up my tits I prefer to stash my crap, get caught, and murder the boss tbh. Ground isn't clear long but usually long enough, and anyways i need more crystals :shepface:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i just saw where heartman is on the map and i'm completely loving dead

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

i just saw where heartman is on the map and i'm completely loving dead

:tutbutt:

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Thundercracker posted:

My guess is that Sam travels across Iceland but the terrain looks like a condensed version of America.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

I've just been avoiding 'fall like a coward, like gently caress i'm dealing with what I can't see

Between AT leggings and zip lines the game has gotten way easier. Not that I'm complaining, not a game really based on difficulty per se

In chapter six Sam 's phrases change when he yells. Small but neat part of the game that I liked, probably can look it up if you missed it I guess.

An extended edition makes sense kinda I guess. It came out pretty late in the PS4 lifespan, and they're probably just desperate to have anything approaching a new game on the PS5. Calling a Higgs mission

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I only used ziplines in the mountains, I felt like they were meant to make that part of the game bearable. I never felt that they made things too easy, the slog through the snow sucked rear end. I felt like getting to put down ziplines was the intended reward for sticking it out and trekking through the passes and peaks. After you have your whole network properly set up, you can just whizz across the entire mountain range at warp speed, defying death and flying through tight spots and it's just so drat satisfying :allears:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I like how BB gets excited and claps when you use a zipline or do a big jump with the speedylegs

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Party Boat posted:

I like how BB gets excited and claps when you use a zipline or do a big jump with the speedylegs

BB really likes going fast, you can get a reaction with the speed skeleton if you’re sprinting flat out for long enough.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Video game merch lives in bizarro world where the official stuff is cheaply made poo poo and you actually want a knockoff someone on etsy made.

ANime merch is sometimes like this too. Like a shoe will be priced like a luxury good but have alibaba level quality

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I went over a bridge made by someone with the username "VOTE TRUMP 2020" earlier. I realise conservatives are incapable of parsing messages in media but Death Stranding is intensely anti-Trump / isolationist politics, only just stopping short of calling him out by name.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Party Boat posted:

I went over a bridge made by someone with the username "VOTE TRUMP 2020" earlier. I realise conservatives are incapable of parsing messages in media but Death Stranding is intensely anti-Trump / isolationist politics, only just stopping short of calling him out by name.

One of the proper emails basically says as soon as Trump got elected he knew the jig was up for America and got into his shelter.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah from the Elder? That's what I was thinking of about stopping just short of calling him out by name

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It feels a bit blunted by the ending, I guess, in that for all the talk of "rebuilding america" like it's some brilliant thing they still put the guy whose duplicity was instrumental in causing the catastrophe to begin with in charge and the first thing he does is try to bury the evidence even after he gives you a whole sob story about how bad he feels. I think Sam is entirely right that the bridges initiative isn't a good thing, it's a direct continuity of the failures of the old government and was spearheaded by exactly the same people trying to cling onto power.

It's like if you played a fallout game and the enclave won.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Party Boat posted:

lol is the bridge located south of the lake knot distro center? where the river and the stream from the weather station converge, north of the waterfall? that one's in my game too

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I just started Episode 6 and I am mad as hell.

How far into the story am I anyway? I know there's a lot more episodes left but not all of them are equal in length.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

World War Mammories posted:

lol is the bridge located south of the lake knot distro center? where the river and the stream from the weather station converge, north of the waterfall? that one's in my game too

Nah mine was right next to the merc camp near the distribution centre north of mountain knot. Guess our guy was busy trying to GOTV in the UCA

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Augus posted:

I just started Episode 6 and I am mad as hell.

How far into the story am I anyway? I know there's a lot more episodes left but not all of them are equal in length.

Pretty far. 6 is the "trek through mountains to build ziplines so you don't have to trek through the mountains" episode. Then an easier trek into the southwest. Then it's endgame.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
So is there any reason not to just beeline through the story stuff without paying attention to sidemissions or extra deliveries? The benefits of getting extra likes or whatever don't seem very tangible.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

It's useful to get every location to at least one star so that they join the chiral network and you can use PCCs and see other people's constructs. You also get rewards once you reach 3-5 stars, most are just cosmetic but there are useful ones such as a timefall-proof cover for your backpack.

Edited to say that on second thoughts most of this stuff is only really "useful" to do more side stuff. The story invariably pushes you into new territory where you don't have the advantage of the area being connected to the network anyway

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 31, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So is there any reason not to just beeline through the story stuff without paying attention to sidemissions or extra deliveries? The benefits of getting extra likes or whatever don't seem very tangible.

Leveling up prepper shelter relationships gives you some very useful gear.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Also you really thank yourself for doing deliveries when you finally start putting together your zipline empire and don't run out of bandwidth after three towers.

e: leveling up preppers also gives you some very useless but very cool swag, why would you want to be without it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
Do the online structures other players build remain until they break? Or do they appear/disappear with new players joining and leaving?

I've connected the three preppers outside of lake knot and I only noticed one stretch of completed road that was near the southwest mule camp. Since then I've been alt-tabbed most of the day in lake knot, I came out and repaired the stretch of road directly outside, now the road is totally complete from LK down all way past the craftsman's place.

I did notice when I repaired the road that a online postbox that was adjacent had disappeared and that the stuff I had put into it was on the floor. Dunno if it was because it had deteriorated, or if the road construction or player deleted it.