Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Whatever that dialup isp was that gave you internet in exchange for you having banner ads on your desktop from them, which people very quickly learned to work around.

also

WebTV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
netzero?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i had a roommate in college that played daoc 12-16 hours a day. he still went to work, and eventually graduated so i guess it all worked out

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

that was one of them, maybe the biggest one? the trick i found was to ctrl-alt-del right as it connected and stop the process and enjoy my 6.3 kb/sec connection and some tfc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Achmed Jones posted:

i had a roommate in college that played daoc 12-16 hours a day. he still went to work, and eventually graduated so i guess it all worked out

how is that physically possible?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

how is that physically possible?

ajan rakenne on muuttunut

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

ajan rakenne on muuttunut

muttnutted but she still suckin

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

muttnutted but she still suckin

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Whatever that dialup isp was that gave you internet in exchange for you having banner ads on your desktop from them, which people very quickly learned to work around.

also

WebTV

I had one of these called "funcow". one day the internet just stopped working and like two weeks later we figured out that it was because it had gone out of business without alerting us

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I used something called freewwweb for a while

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Truman Peyote posted:

I had one of these called "funcow". one day the internet just stopped working and like two weeks later we figured out that it was because it had gone out of business without alerting us

funcow popped

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

wasn't there a Walmart free dialup thing? something with a blue lightbulb? used that in the US in '00

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah bluelight. it sucked/s

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah bluelight. it sucked/s

that brand dilution must be what killed k-mart

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

juicero

Ratto
May 8, 2004

blackberry playbook

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
that reminds me I have an HP WebOS tablet somewhere

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Volmarias posted:

also

WebTV

god I remember these. There was one that also had some referral/pyramid mechanic built into it as well, but it was so slow I just gave up in the end.

swapping though free isp sample discs to min max the free 100 hours and still getting in trouble for running up a phone bill playing team fortress classic

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eschaton posted:

that reminds me I have an HP WebOS tablet somewhere

rotor alt detected

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No games ever actually used Blast Processing.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

rotor alt detected

impossible

as if rotor doesn't know where his is

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Typing Rhino Frittata instead of Reno, Nevada

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

impossible

as if rotor doesn't know where his is

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Volmarias posted:

Typing Rhino Frittata instead of Reno, Nevada

raccoon natural speed king.

in fact, all early speech recognition, where you had to train yourself on the quirks of the software rather than the software adjusting to you.

I’m endlessly annoyed by Siri and Alexa and whatnot for many reasons, but their ability to understand me is not one of them

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

raccoon natural speed king.

in fact, all early speech recognition, where you had to train yourself on the quirks of the software rather than the software adjusting to you.

I’m endlessly annoyed by Siri and Alexa and whatnot for many reasons, but their ability to understand me is not one of them
Are you just talking about raw speech recognition or commands? If the former I agree that modern speech recognition has gotten much better than older software, but you still have to learn to adapt what you say if want to actually use siri/alexa/google assistant to do stuff sort of like learning a cli but with no documentation, which kind of sucks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

there is that yeah, but even in the raccoon natural speed king days, when you knew the right command you still had to say it like 5 times before it got it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

swapping though free isp sample discs to min max the free 100 hours and still getting in trouble for running up a phone bill playing team fortress classic

resubmitting the aol cd request form like 25 times and then having the mailman knock the door and ask my mom about it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Progressive JPEG posted:

resubmitting the aol cd request form like 25 times and then having the mailman knock the door and ask my mom about it
thats not actually why the mailman was calling on your mom

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"uh yeah, kid. Here about the AOLs again. Here's five bucks - go see a movie for a couple hours"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

"uh yeah, kid. Here about the AOLs again. Here's five hours of internet - go look at the space jam website or something"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/ivankatrump/status/715648874346520576?lang=en

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Volmarias posted:

Agile Vector posted:

that was one of them, maybe the biggest one? the trick i found was to ctrl-alt-del right as it connected and stop the process and enjoy my 6.3 kb/sec connection and some tfc

this was definitely Tritium.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lmao. of course.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hashtag healthy yall

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

lol alexa's parsing of speech is skill developers having to implement a giant list of every possible permutation of a sentence

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i used to be able to tell alexa "turn on the living room" and the living room lights would turn on. then i got another echo dot, and put it in the living room, so i named it 'living room' and now when I say "alexa turn on the living room" it says "livingroom doesn't support that". now i have to say "alexa dim the living room lights to 100 percent" for it to work

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

i used to be able to tell alexa "turn on the living room" and the living room lights would turn on. then i got another echo dot, and put it in the living room, so i named it 'living room' and now when I say "alexa turn on the living room" it says "livingroom doesn't support that". now i have to say "alexa dim the living room lights to 100 percent" for it to work

The russians used a lightswitch

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well actually, light switches are outdated and can cause fires, furthermore Chumbawumba4ever97 didn't spend a fortune building Alexa themselves but were actually approached by an ad offering it for $99.95, and

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

children are even more efficient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The Americans used a clapper, but I suppose a person who wants to use Google for turning the lights on or off has no use of their hands.