Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Aha the false start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

That joke about the Frasier theme may have been the unfunniest thing SNL's done in a decade.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I was wondering if Bidens election would signal a return to a time when SNL writes jokes instead of just saying "member last week?!"

The opening sketch is not a good indicator.

This hedge fund art sketch is okay

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 31, 2021

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
That Georgia sketch was godawful and cringe.

Cathy Anne is always a killer though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Machine Gun Kelly: likes tattoos and barre chords.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I was pretty happy they closed out classic snl with faith no more. I figured they’d cut it because only weirdos and classic rock dads care about faith no more in 2021.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/waynes-world-revived-for-ad-campaign/

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Mike Myers's wig is terrible, but other than that :allears:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Propaganda Machine posted:

I think his desperation is worse.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Did anyone catch at the end during the goodbye that (I think) Machine Gun Kelly and Pete Davidson start wrestling and send each other headfirst off the stage? Krasinski does a double take and then rushes down to see if they're dead or not. lol

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

1glitch0 posted:

Did anyone catch at the end during the goodbye that (I think) Machine Gun Kelly and Pete Davidson start wrestling and send each other headfirst off the stage? Krasinski does a double take and then rushes down to see if they're dead or not. lol

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1355766754979549185

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The American Dream posted:

I was pretty happy they closed out classic snl with faith no more. I figured they’d cut it because only weirdos and classic rock dads care about faith no more in 2021.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

I've watched a lot of up and down SNL, but this episode was just awful through and through. "Wonder what's going on in the writer's room" bad.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
This episode was just bafflingly bad considering they had a month of news to work with.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Thundercracker posted:

This episode was just bafflingly bad considering they had a month of news to work with.

Yeah, and last month's news was just super-funny and not depressing at all.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

tarlibone posted:

Honestly, the follow ups on a lot of the Capitol insurrectionist is incredibly funny. Like, they're real loving dumb and proud to broadcast it.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

They are supposed to be making a comedy show.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It wasn't bad it was just okay. :effort:

a new study bible! posted:

They are supposed to be making a comedy show.

:thejoke:

tarlibone posted:

And yet they still tried to make fun of it all. :shrug:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

And yet they still tried to make fun of it all. :shrug:

No, I get it, I get it. That's why I actually liked the opening sketch.

But, thinking there's a lot of comedy to mine from the last month or so because so much stuff happened is a little silly, because misery in, misery out. There are some laughs to be had because of the insurrectionists' looks and how they're getting caught, sure. Also, I think they missed an opportunity to poke fun at how people are saying that it was all Antifa despite the fact that each new arrest is of a person who is well-known in their respective circle for being a Trump-supporting loony. But beyond that, there aren't a lot of laughs to be had.

Think about this: what if they'd treated the show's return like they did when it came back after 9/11? Have a bunch of DC police there, and then have Lorne ask if it's OK to be funny after what has happened, and then Giuliani says, why start now? And then it's like, oh crap, Giuliani used to be the good guy in that scenario.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
IDK I thought the twins sketch was great :shobon:

pwn
May 27, 2004

The American Dream posted:

In an alternate universe, Mr Bungle appeared in S25 and played “Pink Cigarette” and “Retrovertigo.”

Propaganda Machine posted:

https://twitter.com/thatweekinsnl/status/1355739329172271105?s=21

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, he's old.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I really liked the twin sketch because it used current events as the setup for a joke instead of just pointing at current events and saying look how wacky things are like they usually do. I also thought everybody at the gathering being a secret fascist was a pretty funny idea to.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Bowen Yang seems to have only one speed but he still consistently makes me laugh.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

rodbeard posted:

I really liked the twin sketch because it used current events as the setup for a joke instead of just pointing at current events and saying look how wacky things are like they usually do. I also thought everybody at the gathering being a secret fascist was a pretty funny idea to.

Yeah, I think those two were the only worthwhile sketches. The Subway one also got a chuckle out of me, but only because I’m still amazed that “bowl of cold cuts” is something that was not only pitched, but actually made it to market.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Freaquency posted:

Yeah, I think those two were the only worthwhile sketches. The Subway one also got a chuckle out of me, but only because I’m still amazed that “bowl of cold cuts” is something that was not only pitched, but actually made it to market.

Oh my God, that's actually real. I googled it and can't believe they actually thought a bowl of salami and ham was a good thing to advertise

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Thundercracker posted:

Oh my God, that's actually real. I googled it and can't believe they actually thought a bowl of salami and ham was a good thing to advertise

I assume there were veggies, too?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah it's just a salad that isn't called a salad because salads are for women.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
But subway already do salads...?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

Yeah it's just a salad that isn't called a salad because salads are for women.

I think the thing they were going for is a sandwich without bread that isn't a lettuce-wrapped abomination. So yeah, a salad. But not calling it a salad is a marketing thing that has nothing to do with gender and more to do with that old trick of giving an old product that some people won't consider buying a new name so that they will try it.

Lots of people dismiss salad for lunch out-of-hand, but they might try this new "sandwich bowl" thing from that sandwich place they've heard of.

Besides, since when are salads feminine? Does Subway fancy itself a men's restaurant?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Portillos has a hot beef sandwich in a bowl now too.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
how are salads not a lunch thing??

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
This is first contact with an alien life form don't scare them.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

tarlibone posted:

I think the thing they were going for is a sandwich without bread that isn't a lettuce-wrapped abomination. So yeah, a salad. But not calling it a salad is a marketing thing that has nothing to do with gender and more to do with that old trick of giving an old product that some people won't consider buying a new name so that they will try it.

Lots of people dismiss salad for lunch out-of-hand, but they might try this new "sandwich bowl" thing from that sandwich place they've heard of.

Besides, since when are salads feminine? Does Subway fancy itself a men's restaurant?

I was talking in terms of how food is normally advertised:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGLHlvb8skQ

For years advertisers have been treating "healthier" options as unmanly so now they have to reinvent the wheel to sell these products back to men because they were to good at making them seem like women's products. Like when Dr. Pepper had to come up with a separate diet soda from what they already made to advertise to men.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
That country singer that violated covid protocols a couple months ago just ruined his career by getting drunk and saying the n word on camera.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Ratfuck sketch at the end was one of the funniest SNL sketches I've ever seen. I mostly know Ratatouille from SNL jokes, never saw it, but I loved the way it escalated from "haha, is that really how it works in the movie, rat pulls the dudes hair?" really worked for me, plus the sketch had an ending.

I wanna see an SNL collection of just the after-the-second-lovely-music-part sketches.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I assume Mooney likes being in makeup because he was repeatedly throughout.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It suits him, seems like he's always able to go just that extra bit further when doing so. Got a big soft spot for him, watching his goofy stuff on youtube then hitting it big was rad. I was worried he would fall off once they ran through re-using his indie content and bits but he's actually become a pretty good staple of the cast.

I was about to say it was a bit sad the third guy who used to do stuff with Kyle and Beck Bennett, Nick Rutherford never got on SNL but looks like he wrote for them for a little while at least and turns out Nick's actually written a lot of interesting stuff so good for him.

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9D_Y-8Po8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCddDXkd9sc

Dan Levy makes his hosting debut, and yes SNL finally books an act that owns really hard! Of course I can understand if SNL’s legendary sound mixing makes a bad impression, so here you can enjoy this Tiny Desk Concert that Bridgers did a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hLJNZSIwP8

I know Dan Levy is a comedy genius scion of the American Pie Magnate Eugene Levy, but I’ve only managed to get through the first six episodes of Schitt’$ Creek so far so I’m just not quite that familiar with him, but all the same I’m very much looking forward to his show. I mean lookit this cool photo they posted earlier this week!

How can that guy not be funny.

In news, Morgan Wallen is persona non grata for using hate speech on camera, so look forward to never seeing that episode rerun. That’s not sarcasm, it was a mediocre episode, I look forward to never having to see it again.

On February 20th, NBC will rerun the series premiere of Kenan Thompson’s new sitcom Kenan immediately after that night’s live SNL. Does this mean Kenan may host that night? Probably not, but if there were ever any modern cast member to host while still in the cast, it’d be Kenan. Kenan

Also the Vintage will be Harvey Keitel with Madonna from January 16 1993! They starred together in an Abel Ferrara film at that time, Dangerous Game, putting them in a very small club of shows with both host and musical guests promoting the same project. Honestly I can’t think of any others off the top of my head but I’m almost positive it’s happened before and/or since. Anyway I always remember the Subway Announcements sketch from this one. Good times.

pwn fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've been running through a few of the sketches on the YT channel, and I feel like they're really not nearly as good as they were about 10 years ago. I feel like they could really use a Bill Hader equivalent.