Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Who is defending billionaires ITT and has anybody made a "why didn't you invest in eastern Poland" meme out of this yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MarcusSA posted:

Robinhood doesn’t make any sense.

robinhood is a clownshoes operation that got huge based on zero fees and letting anyone make high-risk trades with minimal up-front deposit (which has some risk for robinhood as well as the trader)

they keep having to restrict trades because they don't have enough money to cover the higher requirements of a super-volitile stock upstream

you get what you pay for, and in this case you're getting the shittiest broker that your money isn't paying for

every goddamn article I read about this is all "it's so unfair that the little people got locked out while the fat cats got rich". last I looked, schwab, ameritrade, fidelity, merill, all are happy to take your money and don't have "no poors" clauses. yeah they'll charge you $20 at some point. if that $20 is a critical expense you shouldn't be gambling on meme stocks.

KazigluBey posted:

lmao yeah this is exactly just like the cod boycott, yep yep, you can 100% map a hedgefund bleeding capital and needing to be bailed out by other hedge funds to a bunch of gamers saying they wouldn't buy a game and then buying it. checks out
the cod boycotts reply has nothing to do with the current stuff, just with the guy posting that gamestop will become an amazing titan of industry based on this

that guy is an idiot and gamestop, in the long run, is not in a great position because fewer and fewer people buy games retail

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 31, 2021

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Klyith posted:

you shouldn't be gambling on meme stocks
a phrase that should never be uttered in any context

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

There was nothing anywhere near remotely close to what reddit is now.

Most people had flip phones. Streaming video was a luxury. There certainly wasn’t a massive industry of influencers living off the ability to share popular news to people‘s pockets.

Literally the only thing I know about Star Wars battlefront is that it was boycotted.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

So what happens when the hedge fund declares bankruptcy, goes insolvent and says to the original people they borrowed the shares from “sorry, my bad”? The original owners would get to sue them for the value of the shares at the time of the opinion issues and probably the fees, right? I don’t see how they can be forced in a capitalist system to buy shares.

Correct, the difference would be if the market goes up or down and clients lose money, then that's how the markets work. If you, in bad faith, no less, try to skirt your signed agreements with the broker, resulting in them suing the company and putting it into bankruptcy (which, may not even occur if they close their short positions) then the fund managers would likely get sued for breaching their fiduciary duty to their clients.

Critically, that's a personal liability issue, so the fund managers are directly responsible for the losses their clients have at that point, which could be millions, or could be billions, depending on how much the company would of been worth if they didn't decide to pile up all the money and set fire to it to spite zoomers. It'd also basically make said managers unemployable in finance ever again since brokers are not going to want to deal with (on a professional level), companies that tried to shaft them previously.

Declaring bankruptcy is basically the last thing these companies want to do in this case unless they've been acting in good faith all the way through for that reason. Their investors are going to pissed if it turns out they could of only lost 55% of their money, rather than all of it.

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 31, 2021

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

NYC:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Goobish posted:

Are they planning on doing the same tactic with AMC stock? It seems on the surface like people are buying AMC because they truly think it'll come back and be a good stock to have. But, I mean, this is just more of the "pump and dump (for lack of a better term)" thing right? To the moon!

It just seems like the gamestop short is a pretty unique situation, and I'm wondering (in dumb dumb terms) how similar AMC's situation truly is?

AMC and Nokia are companies which both have potential to recover. While that's not assured, people could do worse than making a small investment and holding them.

The "to the moon" stuff being applied to every shorted stock is just bullshit hype, though.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

yeah AMC actually isn't a bad investment (imo, not a financial advisor) because once coronavirus is over they're likely to recover pretty rapidly and will likely be better off than it is right now... assuming it doesn't go bankrupt before then.

I wouldn't buy it now when people are desperately trying to pump up the price though thinking they're gonna be able to short squeeze it too.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

spunkshui posted:

There was nothing anywhere near remotely close to what reddit is now.

Most people had flip phones. Streaming video was a luxury. There certainly wasn’t a massive industry of influencers living off the ability to share popular news to people‘s pockets.

so your prediction is: a year from now, GME will still be worth $300 because every gamer, driven by influencers and memes, will buy all their video games from gamespot. to own the fatcats.

the point of codboycott is that people are lazy and generally don't follow through on rhetoric

spunkshui posted:

Literally the only thing I know about Star Wars battlefront is that it was boycotted.

if you know absolutely nothing about the games market you might not want to make investments in a game retailer

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

doge is at 4c again

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Ignite Memories posted:

doge is at 4c again

You know what, I am going to embrace the reality we are in now. Like, for real, this is just insane.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Klyith posted:

the point of codboycott is that people are lazy and generally don't follow through on rhetoric

Its harder to boycott a fun videogame then to boycott throwing rocks at billionaires.

Klyith posted:

if you know absolutely nothing about the games market you might not want to make investments in a game retailer

This has more to do with peoples childhood and social media then the games themselves.

Im gona get me my 1 share on Monday (if that is physically possible).

Ill put the sell order at 1.25x if it sells ill use the money to buy a video game directly from GameStop.

Ignite Memories posted:

doge is at 4c again

LMAO

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
GameStop’s finance department is probably going through hell right now

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The doge will have his day.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

wyoak posted:

They can't release more shares (from the looks of it) but holy hell this valuation can be used for so many things (loans, asset sales) that it's insane.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wyoak posted:

the money from buying and selling stock is totally outside the company (other than the possibility of issuing new shares)

gamestop's finance department is not affected at all by any of this

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Galewolf posted:

You know what, I am going to embrace the reality we are in now. Like, for real, this is just insane.

Right now, betting that the world is going to become even more of a sick joke seems like the safest investment imaginable to me. There is no avenue more suited to that than imaginary memecoins.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

spunkshui posted:

Its harder to boycott a fun videogame then to boycott throwing rocks at billionaires.

This has more to do with peoples childhood and social media then the games themselves.

Im gona get me my 1 share on Monday (if that is physically possible).

Ill put the sell order at 1.25x if it sells ill use the money to buy a video game directly from GameStop.

Gamestop was always a lovely company, even during people's childhoods. Video games are fun, chain retailer selling video games is not.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Lmao

https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1354568794061086724

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

spunkshui posted:

All of the YouTube channels arent talking about it.

It’s not on the evening news.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

https://www.coindesk.com/price/dogecoin

The one week graph puts the 50% increase into better perspective.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The ascension of the ordinary meme

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

The ascension of the ordinary meme

There are so many layers to that that it's :psyduck:

"And TikTok[1] Investors twitter releasing a video of Carole Baskin[2] uttering the words Dogecoin[3]" is going to be on some economics graduate thesis in couple of years.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

It's pronounced "dodge"??

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

English is not my native language so I pronounce it as DO-GE (I think it is close to how the Doge of Venice is pronounced). Some YTers call as DOJIcoin which might be close to the proper (lol) pronounciation.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
They're supposed to be pushing Webistics.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the proper pronunciation of thing that should only exist on the internet that is a joke based on a meme that was named by someone other than who made it (because thatd be the first instance of what would later become a meme)
basically if you put thought into altering the pronunciation based on the spelling in this scenario youre wrong. not about the thing but wrong as a human being

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hobo Clown posted:

Video looks like some wsb people bought it on a rent-a-minor-celebrity site. She has probably no idea what she's reading or how to pronounce it

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

GABA ghoul posted:

Video looks like some wsb people bought it on a rent-a-minor-celebrity site. She has probably no idea what she's reading or how to pronounce it

Well she's on cameo:

https://www.cameo.com/bigcatrescue?qid=1612121840

LOL
https://www.cameo.com/v/60139a48980bf2001d284785
Hey all you cool cats and kittens from Equifax!

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 31, 2021

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

wyoak posted:

"nobody touch nuthen!"

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

It's pronounced "Dohzh", like 'Zhampagne'

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Doggy

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Wait, it's "koyn" and not "quon???"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Heath posted:

Wait, it's "koyn" and not "quon???"

I always heard 'cue-non'

Also only ever heard 'doje' for the coin but I'm only terminally online here on Something Awful Dot Com.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Carole Baskin is charging 230 bucks for a 20-second video. Joe Exotic will loving rake it if he manages to come out of prison before 2138.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

There's something weird and sad about cameo, it makes me uncomfortable.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I think it is second-hand sadness/embarrassment of someone basically declaring "welp, I'm officially washed up now" and the idea of someone might be paying the cult leader from Tiger King to say inane garbage. It has some unnerving "late-stage capitalism" vibes.

Boy, I would love to receive a mail from Cameo that I'm not listed under "50% off celebrities" if I was an actor.

I mean, respecting the hustle but it feels just sad.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

It's because it represents the commodification of human dignity and also is the closest thing possible to death of the very concept of novelty, OP.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Klyith posted:

robinhood is a clownshoes operation that got huge based on zero fees and letting anyone make high-risk trades with minimal up-front deposit (which has some risk for robinhood as well as the trader)

they keep having to restrict trades because they don't have enough money to cover the higher requirements of a super-volitile stock upstream

you get what you pay for, and in this case you're getting the shittiest broker that your money isn't paying for
RobinHood effectively gets a bigger cut than most places with transaction fees. The high risk trades aren't what they're huge for these days, but the "no fee" line dupes a lot of people as does the easy to use app and low-friction registration process. They also go with a full social media style "keep users captive on our platform" approach that encourages engagement in a way traditional brokerages do not.

They were fined by the SEC for $65m in December for robbing their users of at least a similar amount of money by not playing by the rules for marketmaker selection. Instead of picking the marketmaker that favors the customer they picked the one with the highest kickback. Usually Citadel. Which is also a company they're intertwined with and going to bat for with the stock restrictions due to recent market volatility. Their sudden "restrict everything remotely risky" approach after being called out on it isn't going to fool the SEC.

I'm skeptical that much will come of GME, but I bet the SEC is going to come down on RobinHood pretty hard for what happened this week.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

If you had bought $10,000 of dogecoin yesterday, today you would have $25,000