Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rhonne posted:

I was thinking he was one of the local heroes that quit, still holding onto some of his hero equipment. He looked pretty ashamed of himself for not helping out.

That was my assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Looking over the chapter again, you can see feathers on Hawks's father's arms. Looks like Hawks is the latest example of quirk singularity manifesting, he got a combination of his father's feathers and his mother's controllable floating eyeballs: hundreds of telekinetically controllable feathers that can receive sensory input.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I know she's not a great person, but man I feel bad for Hawks' mom. She seems like a completely broken person and I don't know how she's going to survive on her own now that she's run away.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So what did Hawks' mom leak? I don't remember a leak being brought up in the arc.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Electric Phantasm posted:

So what did Hawks' mom leak? I don't remember a leak being brought up in the arc.

She told Dabi all about Hawks' past. Dabi talked about it in his video to the world.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

It's how Dabi knew about Hawks' real name and past.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Completely overlooked that, guess my mind was too hooked on the Dabi being part of the same secret government training as Hawks theory.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Completely overlooked that, guess my mind was too hooked on the Dabi being part of the same secret government training as Hawks theory.

drat, that was a fun theory too

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
since i follow him here is the insane thing he is being accused of

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Anime fans continue to be the worst.

I also maintain my earlier statement that Jeanist getting fake death surgery is the dumbest thing in this manga. What happened if Dabi had just set the bag on fire??

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I also maintain my earlier statement that Jeanist getting fake death surgery is the dumbest thing in this manga. What happened if Dabi had just set the bag on fire??

I'm guessing it's the kind of fake death surgery where he would just wake up and then Jeanist and Hawks would take down Dabi together.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Presumably it was fireproof. :v:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blockhouse posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-Resistant-FR-Denim-Jeans/dp/B01NAKEXU9

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/tarnished_twice/status/1355654974739521536?s=21

specifically this change from the simulpub and volume

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh of course it's people out here to defend Endeavor's honor from the Translators With An Agenda

shocking

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
As far as I know, Caleb only ever submits his weekly translations and then those scripts can be fixed/adjusted for volume releases. He probably had nothing to do with volume changes because if he did, Viz might have to pay him and god forbid Viz pay their freelancers

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

why can't they just satisfy themselves with Horikoshi canonizing EndHawks :sigh:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Caleb's trivia thread is up, he noted this in the "PS" tweets

As a reminder, he doesn't get paid to do these trivia posts, but he does have a Ko-fi page if you appreciate the extra work he puts in.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I wish he'd approve my follow so I could read his stuff though, I need my trivia fix.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Same. I'm a drat fool for not following him when I had a chance. :negative:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SKULL.GIF posted:

Looking over the chapter again, you can see feathers on Hawks's father's arms. Looks like Hawks is the latest example of quirk singularity manifesting, he got a combination of his father's feathers and his mother's controllable floating eyeballs: hundreds of telekinetically controllable feathers that can receive sensory input.

That’s just quirk genetics, like Bakugo’s explosive sweat and Shoto’s perfect combo. Or even Touya/Dabi’s weird self-destructive quirk. Quirk singularity is stuff like Eri, monstrously strong quirks manifesting randomly without warning that cause total chaos and societal collapse. Remember Eri’s quirk is completely unrelated to her parents quirks if they had any.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Not quite. The Quirk Singularity was an idea, in general, that the power of quirks (mostly from strong quirk families interbreeding, but also just in general) will grow to the point that it will eventually become impossible to regulate or control. Kinda hard to tell Johnny Nukehands to stop with all the petty theft when his hands are nukes.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

Not quite. The Quirk Singularity was an idea, in general, that the power of quirks (mostly from strong quirk families interbreeding, but also just in general) will eventually grow to the point that it will eventually become impossible to regulate or control. Kinda hard to tell Johnny Nukehands to stop with all the petty theft when his hands are nukes.

Fair, there's one other variant I remembered after posting, which is that One for All is reaching a singularity on it's own in Izuku because of how long it has stockpiled powers and quirks. Which All Might's natural control of the physical strength potentially stopped him from ever reaching for the other quirks the way Izuku does.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I do think that's an interesting contrast, that All Might had such a natural affinity for the quirk that he was able to use 100% of it right away but never really interacted with the other parts of the power vs Deku, who had to struggle to harness every piece of that power without blowing himself up, and is now the one unlocking its true potential

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

PMush Perfect posted:

Same. I'm a drat fool for not following him when I had a chance. :negative:

Yeah I don't have a twitter account and as much as I love his trivia posts, I'm still not going to make one. So I can't see it either, alas.

christmas boots posted:

I do think that's an interesting contrast, that All Might had such a natural affinity for the quirk that he was able to use 100% of it right away but never really interacted with the other parts of the power vs Deku, who had to struggle to harness every piece of that power without blowing himself up, and is now the one unlocking its true potential

I always liked that about All Might's tutelage: he wasn't good at it. And he even, eventually, admitted as such. He was a poo poo teacher because he just kind of got the quirk, or at least one facet of it, and never had to deal with the rest of it because he was so physically adept at handling it and didn't have the capacity or skill to explain to Deku how to use it beyond training him physically which didn't really prepare him for the brunt of the quirk's power still.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also it's likely that his predecessors maybe had it for 5-15 years each, if that, whilst he was building it's physical power (and thus stockpiled energy) for something like 30-35 years at this point. The quirk Izuku inherited is so much more powerful than the quirk All Might inherited. This came up with Monoma actually if I recall, as he doesn't get anything at all from copying One for All, because it's a stockpile quirk with nothing stockpiled when copied.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

That’s just quirk genetics, like Bakugo’s explosive sweat and Shoto’s perfect combo. Or even Touya/Dabi’s weird self-destructive quirk. Quirk singularity is stuff like Eri, monstrously strong quirks manifesting randomly without warning that cause total chaos and societal collapse. Remember Eri’s quirk is completely unrelated to her parents quirks if they had any.

They call out the combination of quirks specifically

From the remedial arc:

quote:

With each new generation, quirks blend and evolve. And there will come a day when these complex, overpowered quirks can no longer be controlled by the individual. They call it the Quirk Singularity Doomsday Theory

But also in general they're just stronger. I imagine if that if a little kid now got Bakugo's power it'd be even stronger than he was. And then you add spontaneous mutations, like Eri's, into the mix...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

christmas boots posted:

I think it's cool All Might didn't need the additional Quirks. Like, even half dead and not even fully muscled, he still beat All for One.

Granted, I still maintain that was an anticlimactic showing for AfO, but it's a really good "Holy poo poo, All Might is a badass" moment.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

rannum posted:

But also in general they're just stronger. I imagine if that if a little kid now got Bakugo's power it'd be even stronger than he was. And then you add spontaneous mutations, like Eri's, into the mix...

I don't think when they said quirks were getting stronger they meant that someone who got Bakugo's identical power now would have a stronger version of it. I think they just meant that because of the way quirks are combining, powers rarely get weaker over the generations. So it's more that if/when Bakugo ends up having kid(s) himself, they'll probably have a combination of his quirk and his mother's quirk. So Bakugo's already S-tier quirk could potentially get upgraded even further depending on the ther party.

Basically this:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Yeah I don't think new Quirks have been presented like they're getting better out of nothing. Good ones like explosive sweat can come out of two mundane ones, even better ones like icy hot can come out of two good ones, absolutely bonkers poo poo like Rewind or All for One can come out of nothing, and all there is to balance it is sometimes Quirks don't combine constructively.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Maybe the reason they laughed Dr Garaki out of mainstream science is because he's really lovely at explaining things.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I think it's cool All Might didn't need the additional Quirks. Like, even half dead and not even fully muscled, he still beat All for One.

Granted, I still maintain that was an anticlimactic showing for AfO, but it's a really good "Holy poo poo, All Might is a badass" moment.

That was kind of intentional though. This was a battle between two titans who are basically past their expiration date. It's not as obvious with AfO because he's dominating everything until the last moments of the fight but they're both only shadows of what they used to be. We only get hints as to how badly AfO's body has been hosed up compared to All Might, but the face is a pretty big tell.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, I understand. I know that, reasonably, there's no way All Might can lose and the rest of the cast doesn't just immediately get hosed over hard because no one can stop the guy. I'm not really sure there's anything I would write differently in the same situation.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also it's likely that his predecessors maybe had it for 5-15 years each, if that, whilst he was building it's physical power (and thus stockpiled energy) for something like 30-35 years at this point. The quirk Izuku inherited is so much more powerful than the quirk All Might inherited. This came up with Monoma actually if I recall, as he doesn't get anything at all from copying One for All, because it's a stockpile quirk with nothing stockpiled when copied.

That's how I think of it until we get something to indicate otherwise. Horikoshi loves videogame references, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's similar to EXP and the sheer amount All Might used his quirk leveled it up a lot more than his predecessors did.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Does All Might even manifest the green aura that Deku does?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Neo_Crimson posted:

Does All Might even manifest the green aura that Deku does?

I forget is that even a real thing Izuku creates or just a visual for viewers?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
You see some yellow lightning at one point, I think at the end of the AfO fight. I just think of it as a cool visual effect for the user but it could also represent there being so much power that Deku's body can't even contain it properly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's actually Deku's quirk, which is to be a gaming keyboard.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The way it works, I've always considered the energy crackling that goes with the power being a show of just how out-of-sync it is with his body. I figured the effect would become more refined/subtle as he got better control of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Instead of sharp lightning crackles it becomes a smooth goku full body ki