Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That's the crux of trail runners is you sacrifice lifespan for low weight. Each shoe will differ on mileage though. I have a pair of Merrells that lasted like 5 years and have holes in the mesh but are just starting to lose traction on the soles. Wish they never discontinued that model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Totally agree. I went through 4 pairs of salomon 3d ultras on my AT thru hike. The uppers were fine, but the soles wore smooth every 500 miles or so.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Verman posted:

That's the crux of trail runners is you sacrifice lifespan for low weight. Each shoe will differ on mileage though. I have a pair of Merrells that lasted like 5 years and have holes in the mesh but are just starting to lose traction on the soles. Wish they never discontinued that model.

Yeah...

My failure points are holes in the uppers where my Sasquatch toes poke through, though by that time I’m usually wearing down the soles pretty good or they’re starting to separate too.

Honesty my most durable footwear have been my Chacos Sandals. Once I wear through the last of my trail runners I think the next stop for me is a full on pair of hiking sandals with rubber toecap

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My Trekkertent 1.5 came. I ordered it in August 2020.

Double wall with solid inner, A-frame tent. Made from 20D silpoly and lengthened by 20cm so the floor is 230cm long.

Weight is around 850g, 370g for inner tent and 480g for rainfly.

I fit inside and that's about it. There's no room to sit because of the triangle shape and low height. So it's for basically sleeping only.

For 1kg extra I can bring my Tarptent Scarp 2 but I really don't think I need all the room in summer.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Hey not sure if there's a specific boot thread but I figure this is close enough.

I've had a pair of Lowa Renegade leather hiking boots for maybe 2 or 2.5 years now, they've always been extremely comfy and I've never had any issues with them ( I have green superfeet insoles in them which seem to work well). Recently however something seems to have suddenly changed, I tried them once with some different insoles because I had put the superfeets in my mountaineering boots and I got really bad heel lift and blisters even on a really short hike. I assumed it must have been because of the change in insoles but then on another hike after that where I had the superfeets back in I still got a blister on the inside of my left heel.

I'm not sure why the fit of my boots would apparently change all of a sudden, feeling around the inside of the left boot with my fingers it almost feels like the leather is buckled inwards around my heel which I could imagine might result in extra rubbing, but again I have no idea why it would have happened so suddenly.

I also got really bad blisters with my mountaineering boots recently (Lowa Weisshorns) but I'm almost certain that was just because I was trying to wear an insulated mountain boot in hot weather and on a fast flat walk that absolutely didn't need something so stiff.

I'm thinking about trying to moisten the leather and then let them dry off while I'm wearing them to see if that would help, not sure?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
First off, I've been reading about people having issues using super feet insoles in their technical boots because the back of the insoles have hard plastic pieces in the heel cup which run against the boot liner destroying the area around the heel, often destroying the waterproof membrane. I don't use super feet but I looked into it when I bought my recent boots and I can definitely see that being a possibility. When I was looking at the interaction between the insoles and the boots, an rei sales guy even brought it up independently when he walked by.

As for blisters, they're usually caused by moisture or friction (hot spots) so my guess would either be one of those two things or both. The other thing is super feet have a significantly higher heel than most insoles, it might be causing your heel to sit too high in the heel cup which would add a hot spot around the top of the ball and back of your heel. It would likely also prevent your heel from being properly secured in the cup allowing your foot to lift. Maybe by moving the soles around, your leather molded to your foot and trying the soles again changed things up? Also, are you wearing socks of a similar thickness?

As for the leather, maybe talk to a cobbler before trying to do it yourself. You might solve your issues by wetting and stretching but you also might cause more in the process.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Verman posted:

First off, I've been reading about people having issues using super feet insoles in their technical boots because the back of the insoles have hard plastic pieces in the heel cup which run against the boot liner destroying the area around the heel, often destroying the waterproof membrane. I don't use super feet but I looked into it when I bought my recent boots and I can definitely see that being a possibility. When I was looking at the interaction between the insoles and the boots, an rei sales guy even brought it up independently when he walked by.

As for blisters, they're usually caused by moisture or friction (hot spots) so my guess would either be one of those two things or both. The other thing is super feet have a significantly higher heel than most insoles, it might be causing your heel to sit too high in the heel cup which would add a hot spot around the top of the ball and back of your heel. It would likely also prevent your heel from being properly secured in the cup allowing your foot to lift. Maybe by moving the soles around, your leather molded to your foot and trying the soles again changed things up? Also, are you wearing socks of a similar thickness?

As for the leather, maybe talk to a cobbler before trying to do it yourself. You might solve your issues by wetting and stretching but you also might cause more in the process.

Yeah I've read about the innersole plastic wearing away at the goretex, these ones do have a plastic heel but it doesn't go all the way to the edges which are soft foam, so I think it would be ok. The inside of the boot around the heel looks fine from what I can see anyway.

I just wore the boots when I went shopping and I could instantly tell that part of the left boot on the inside of the heel is sticking inwards and rubbing against the spot where I got the blister the last time I wore them properly. I can feel it with my fingers too, like a hard lump sticking inwards which noticeably rubs against my heel if it lifts up slightly while walking (which is much worse going up-hill).

The last time I wore these boots without having any blister issues that I remember I did walk through some streams and the boots got completely soaked, including accidentally stepping too deep and getting water overflowing into the boot. They dried out sitting in a hotel room off my feet, so I wonder if they dried out with some odd buckles or wrinkles in the leather which have now taken a bit of a set in a way that is super uncomfortable. I might try taking them to a cobbler and get them to have a look I guess.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Some friends want to go camping in Ginny Springs Florida when this all over. I've never camped before and only have a flannel sleeping bag that says comfortable down to 40(which I doubt).

From the limited search I've done so far the tents (which have included foot prints) I've looked at are the:
Rei Passage 2- $156 from ebay. Says its not good in high winds due to its narrow profile, but I have no clue what counts as high winds.
Rei Trail Hut- $152 from ebay. It has higher walls which might make it hotter in Florida?
Rei Half dome SL2- $298 on rei. The least weighty of the tree but at a price cost. I'd be car camping but who knows if I'd ever go actual hiking/camping and want it to actually be light to carry around.

I think I need a double wall tent cause its Florida and humidity, and low tarp walls do to Florida freak storms blowing in at random moments? I also don't know if 'm going to high a price out the gate for something I've never done/ don't know if I'd enjoy. I blame this thread for getting me to want to go camping, pictures of my friends camping but mostly the Laid Back Camp anime.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
If you've never even camped before, I wouldn't go out and buy a nice lightweight expensive backpacking tent just yet. Car camping is one thing, backpacking is a whole other beast where the only thing in common is sleeping outside under nylon and mesh. Each activity has vastly different needs as far a gear goes. Camping can get pricey but backpacking is basically limitless as far as how much you could spend.

With car camping, the the most casual form of sleeping outside. Lots of people do it successfully with cheap gear. Coleman tents, air mattresses, blankets from home, grocery store food, 30 rack of bud heavy, coleman cooler, etc. It isn't the greatest gear but it will do the job. It's heavy and cheap, and likely won't last a really long time but it will get you going. Them there's the rei level camping stuff that's likely double if not triple the price. In most cases it's better gear by far but you're paying for it. Big roomy tents. Easy assembly. Better waterproofing. Easier storage. More thoughtful design. It's definitely not backpacking gear though. You won't be hauling any of it with you should you decide to do a backpacking trip.

Backpacking gear is much smaller, lightweight and usually more expensive due to needing to be carried. The smaller and lighter something is the higher the price it will cost. It can be used for car camping but it might not be the most comfortable, roomy or durable stuff and will cost a lot to replace if someone drunkenly trips over your tiny barbie tent. I have some separate stuff for car camping and backpacking. I don't want to wear out my nice lightweight stuff for a drunken weekend in the woods with my friends and dog. It's also heavier, and has more room.

If you're not sure yet, consider renting from rei (or other outdoor store) if that's a possibility. Try car camping first to see if you like it before spending $200+ on a lightweight tent and even more money on lightweight gear. I will say I enjoyed going car camping with friends and just showing up with a backpack. It makes it easier to get out. My other buddies were fuming up the entire bed of their truck. Honestly car camping is more about comfort and luxuries that your sacrifice for weight when backpacking. Eat good food. Drink beer or whatever you enjoy drinking. Bring a chair. Eat marshmallows and other garbage that you don't typically get to do when backpacking.

The passage 2 it's a great tent. I had one for years and backpacked and car camped with it. It's not the lightest backpacking tent and it's but the tiniest car camping tent but it's more than adequate and it's pretty robust compared to some of the lighter tents. I don't know if it can be beat for the price, especially when it's on sale. I was in rocky mountain national park and woke up to 8in of fresh snow and it was still standing just fine. I climbed Mt Adams and it was probably constant 30-40mph winds all night and I never felt like it was going anywhere. I'm not sure how windy it is in Florida but if you need anything more than a passage 2 for winds you likely need a full on winter or mountaineering tent. The biggest factor is the positioning of your tent relative to the direction of the wind. Don't have any openings facing the wind because the second you open your door it might catch and act like a scoop. Keep the rain fly low on the windy side. Get better stakes. I like the msr triangular stakes. They're light and seen to grip the ground better. If it's that windy, use your guy out lines and put in extra anchor stakes.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

E. ^^ this is all solid advice. Also, given your location I’m guessing you may have a connection to the University of Florida or another college (Santa fe, etc). UF has a really great outdoor activities group at the large gym thing and they rent all kinds of camping equipment for CHEAP, and I don’t think you necessarily have to be an enrolled student to take advantage.

I used to go tubing near ginnie springs (the ichetucknee river) all the time when I used to live near Alachua County. I can’t say what the camping conditions are like right now since I moved away like a decade ago, but I highly doubt you’d need much insulation for any camping you’d be doing in the area, and there is so much vegetation that I highly doubt wind will be significant factor unless you got caught in a tropical storm, etc., but I would be prepared for a lot of rainfall and mosquitos/ticks. I’d double up on a water-proofer and a peremetherin (sp?) spray and use them on your clothes/tent heavily several days before your first camping trip.

Coincidentally, I have had the half dome 2 (or something similar) for almost a decade now and it’s been with me all over, including numerous car camping and multi-day backpacking trips and it’s still going strong. Depending on your rush, I bought mine at a REI garage sale for like $125 bucks, so maybe scope out any upcoming sales.

Also, if you are car camping in Florida, buy a thick plastic tarp that is just a little smaller than the footprint of your tent and place it under your tent before you set up or you will have a bad morning. When you start doing backpacking, you can swap the heavy plastic tarp for some 2mm painters drop cloth for a less durable but much lighter version of a waterproof flooring

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 31, 2021

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Quixotic1 posted:

Some friends want to go camping in Ginny Springs Florida when this all over. I've never camped before and only have a flannel sleeping bag that says comfortable down to 40(which I doubt).

From the limited search I've done so far the tents (which have included foot prints) I've looked at are the:
Rei Passage 2- $156 from ebay. Says its not good in high winds due to its narrow profile, but I have no clue what counts as high winds.
Rei Trail Hut- $152 from ebay. It has higher walls which might make it hotter in Florida?
Rei Half dome SL2- $298 on rei. The least weighty of the tree but at a price cost. I'd be car camping but who knows if I'd ever go actual hiking/camping and want it to actually be light to carry around.

I think I need a double wall tent cause its Florida and humidity, and low tarp walls do to Florida freak storms blowing in at random moments? I also don't know if 'm going to high a price out the gate for something I've never done/ don't know if I'd enjoy. I blame this thread for getting me to want to go camping, pictures of my friends camping but mostly the Laid Back Camp anime.

Not sure if you're sleeping solo but FYI 2-person tents are not big enough for two adults unless they cuddle. Mine doesn't fit two foam pads side by side without overlap. If you want to be comfortable you should generally go n+1 for the number of people you want to accommodate.

Also, if you pick one of those order directly from REI so you can take advantage of their generous return/exchange program.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Thank you for the advice. I'm in SF so no camping gear rental in my area, just Dicks and Bass Pro shops.

That's one thing I've learned in my limited research,about the sizing being the max theoretically with taking in factors of space and comfort. I'm going solo to the group trip, that's why I was looking at the 2 people tents.

We're car camping, and I can't sleep in any of the other people's tents as the occupancy is already been exceeded.

At least I seemed to have started somewhat on the right track on tents and not laughed out of the thread with the equivalent of a kid's vinyl tent fir my first outing.

1redflag posted:

Also, if you are car camping in Florida, buy a thick plastic tarp that is just a little smaller than the footprint of your tent and place it under your tent before you set up or you will have a bad morning. When you start doing backpacking, you can swap the heavy plastic tarp for some 2mm painters drop cloth for a less durable but much lighter version of a waterproof flooring

What's the second tarp for (and does it go under or over the footprint), and why smaller?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

In my experience, most tents don’t come with a “real” footprint, just slightly more durable nylon than the tent itself is made out of. There are going to be a ton of sticks and stones and other detritus wherever you can find a clear spot to camp, so the tarp helps prevent punctures/slashes on the bottom of the tent from your bodyweight moving around inside it on top of said stones/Sticks.

The reason you want it smaller than the footprint of your tent is because, if it’s bigger than the footprint, rainfall will gather on the edges of the tarp and then pool into the middle of the tarp underneath your tent. If the tarp is smaller than the tents footprint, water can’t collect on top (assuming you have it fully covered under your tent)

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Unless you're planning on backpacking in the next few years do yourself a favor and go full car-camp comfort and get a 4-person tent. The ability to stand up, and having room to spread out your stuff or blow up a ridiculous air mattress is totally worth it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The ability to stand up inside of your tent can not be overstated.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Also, you will get use out of that 4 person tent in a place with lots of mosquitos like Ginny springs, since you will need to be fully inside a tent once the light starts fading (and will want to stay inside until the sun is up the next day). God help you if you are out during the “grey hours”even remotely near standing water in middle Florida. Everyone can hang out in one tent and not have to deal with letting in skeeters.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

best part of winter camping is reveling in mass insect death

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Also "footprint" refers to the layer that goes between the floor of your tent and the ground. A decent tent will have a waterproof but delicate "bathtub" floor. The footprint keeps pebbles and twigs and stuff from puncturing the floor. Most tents don't come with a footprint but usually have a model-specific one that you can buy separately. You can also save money and buy a tarp at the hardware store. Try to get a tarp that's slightly smaller than the floor dimensions of your tent for the reason someone stated earlier. If you already have a tarp but it's too big that's ok you can cut it or just fold two edges under so that it's small enough to serve as a footprint.

Protip: if your tent is dry in the morning fold it all up inside your footprint-tarp for easy packing.

ihop fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 1, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

^100%; I was sloppy w/ my language.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

1redflag posted:

In my experience, most tents don’t come with a “real” footprint, just slightly more durable nylon than the tent itself is made out of. There are going to be a ton of sticks and stones and other detritus wherever you can find a clear spot to camp, so the tarp helps prevent punctures/slashes on the bottom of the tent from your bodyweight moving around inside it on top of said stones/Sticks.

The reason you want it smaller than the footprint of your tent is because, if it’s bigger than the footprint, rainfall will gather on the edges of the tarp and then pool into the middle of the tarp underneath your tent. If the tarp is smaller than the tents footprint, water can’t collect on top (assuming you have it fully covered under your tent)

I love reading reviews on REI and other outdoors sites for tent footprints because they all have a max 3.5 stars due to a ton of 1 star reviews for “the footprint was too small! Size was off by 2 inches on each side!”

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Neat, glad I learned about the footprint thing. I always figured they were slightly small to minimize weight :shobon:

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

So what's a good tent to buy then if the advice is leaning toward a cheap car camping standing room 6 person tent? I'm terribly afraid of rain as I seem to be cursed at having it start raining any time I have an outside excursion.

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 2, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have an REI Kingdome 4 and it’s amazing for car camping. The Kingdome 6 has to be that much more amazing. Seriously though, it sets up and comes down in 15 minutes or so, roomy as gently caress inside and I can’t imagine it can’t handle most 3 season storms.

Also, instead of a REI footprint you can find custom Tyvek one on eBay for ~$15.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Quixotic1 posted:

So what's a good tent to buy then if the advice is leaning toward a cheap car camping standing room 6 person tent? I'm terribly afraid of rain as I seem to be cursed at having it start raining any time I have an outside excursion.

Coleman will not steer you wrong for car camping. It's not high end or stylish, but it's affordable and functional and fairly reliable.

Costco has the dark room version, not sure if it's 4 or 6.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 2, 2021

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

500 + footprint is a lot to spend on a tent if you’ve never been camping before, and I’m not sure I can justify getting a 6 person tent when you’re planning on sleeping alone the first trip

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
https://www.rei.com/stores/rentals/pricing#camping-&-hiking-gear
REI will rent you one if you're not sure you're into camping.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I still suggest renting it borrowing first. Maybe even buy something cheap on Craigslist.

A $100 coleman or eureka 4 person tent should do just fine to get you into camping. If you want to spend more for a smaller backpacking tent, go for it just know it won't have much room.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Costco gets an 8 person Coleman mansion in every summer. They usually hang the display from the ceiling (at least in :canada:)
It's cheap as hell and pretty much always gets marked down at the end of the season.

I've considered it a few times for canoe camping. It's honestly a much more compact package than the 4 tents we bring. However, since COVID forced us to all bring separate tents I think I'll have a tough time convincing my friends to give up private accommodations again :(

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My car camping setup for last few years has been Kingdom 6 with cots or Exped mattress. To be clear that is a great setup (Kingdom 6 is a great tent period), but I want to try new way of camping. I just got a new Tacoma and I am thinking about putting a rooftop tent over the bed (using something like the Thule Xsporter Pro Mid rack to hold it). Has anyone had experience with using rooftop tents? Any recommendations? There will be 2 of us, so we prefer a 3 person version. Tepui Kukenam 3 or Tepui Autana 3 are my top choices so far.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Any specific reason against a truck bed tent? The quality might not be like a thule, but a fraction of the cost. Mine was under $200 and it is ok. Nothing mind-blowing, but I got it for work for a particular project, and it sleeps ok. I am spoiled by a full length bed, though. Napier something.

E: saw the 3 person requirement. Yeah, truck bed tent wont do. Narrow.

pumped up for school fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 11, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I meant like this

Edit: I get the point of your post now, but I’m looking for something closer to what is in picture.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 11, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rooftop Tents:
Pro- looks cool, above the ground, built in mattress, camp anywhere you park

Con- expensive, up in the wind, not much better than a regular tent, have to pack up when you want to drive somewhere, have to climb down to pee, not good for dogs, top heavy vehicle if offroading

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

nate fisher posted:

I meant like this

Edit: I get the point of your post now, but I’m looking for something closer to what is in picture.

this seems like an excellent way to break a lower limb.

just sleep on the ground??? like, im not really discerning what benefit having the tent in the truck bed serves, it seems to be a standalone tent (but worse)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get the draw of those kinds of tents, but if I was going to make my car my bed I'd get a van or SUV and toss a mattress in the back. Losing the storage is a big issue then but it's gonna be more comfortable than a tent, so it's worth considering.

And if I was gonna tent camp, I'd use a traditional tent just for the ability to claim a spot as yours and leave the car free for going sightseeing.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

From what I understand they’re also terribly chilly due to not having anything insulating it from the bottom.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

they are also mindbogglingly more expensive than any tent comparable or several factors higher in build quality

and they destroy your fuel economy

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

nate fisher posted:

I meant like this

I find this really confusing on trucks. Does it offer any advantage over just getting a bed topper? It seems like they have the same square footage, but the bed cap has the added advantage of providing extra storage that can be locked up. A used bed topper can be had for a lot cheaper too.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Tbh the Australian swags are pretty intriguing to me. It's basically a heavy duty bivy with thick walls and built-in mattress.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Has anyone had experience with using rooftop tents? Any recommendations?

I havent stayed long term in a rooftop tent but the time I did try it I hated it.

The ONLY time I see these being useful is if you're going on some long off-roading adventure. Otherwise I just dont see any advantages. They're expensive, they hurt your mileage, I've had a family member who had one that had leaking issues in them driving through the rain, not as roomy as your REI Kingdome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Stupid newbie looking to buy some ski gear here. Any y’all have any recommendations? I was going to get some rental gear, but I’ve got stupid big feet and my experience with rentals in my size is usually just “lol”. Friends also do this every year do I don’t mind jumping in with my own stuff.

Think I’ve got the helmet and goggles covered, and I’m trying to save a few bucks and get last year’s gear. Just trying to get a list together of everything I even need. Any newbie advice would be appreciated!