Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Viridiant posted:

All the monkey names.

But he's an ape.

I've been to enough libraries to know you should never mix those up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I shan't be apologizing to Zeke.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Monkeys aren't titans, quit messing with my head!

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Levi: I hate every Beast I see, from Chimpan-a to Chimpan-Zeke.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The reveal of Monkey Trouble and the speculation about his nature and motives were one of the best parts of following this manga back when the setting was largely a mystery.

rip rustled jimmies/there is no need to be upset snk memes

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The most common theory for Monkey Trouble was that he was Erwin's dad. And somehow a theory of him being Marco took off.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Watching the anime, I'm feeling a lot more pity for the Marley Warriors this time around. Galliard looks so broken after Eren forces him to crush the Warhammer's shifter, and hearing Falco and Gabi screaming for Reiner to help is rough.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

But he's an ape.

I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-a to chimpan-zeke~

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I would accept a musical ending starring Levi and Zeke

~Oh my God, I was wrong
it was Paths all along~

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Super Rad posted:

A little off topic but is it possible that Ackermans are incapable of killing shifters? Mikasa had a clear chance to kill Reiner and Berthold (two chances to kill Bert). Levi had a chance on Reiner and multiple opportunities against Zeke. Both of them had plenty of motivation and neither are the type to hesitate or make significant mistakes when it comes to killing. This would play into Eren acting with obvious disgust towards Mikasa during their last conversation as well as the concept of inescapable fate. Given what we know from the opening panels of the manga it seems like one way or another Mikasa will be in front of Eren in the penultimate moment - the question is whether she's there administering the killing blow to Eren or if she's shielding him from it.

Didn’t Mikasa say she hesitated against Reiner and Bert the first time because she still saw them as friends? The 2nd time was because it turns out Bert is scarily competent when he’s motivated.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

RatHat posted:

Didn’t Mikasa say she hesitated against Reiner and Bert the first time because she still saw them as friends? The 2nd time was because it turns out Bert is scarily competent when he’s motivated.

It's simply the amount of times it has occurred that makes it seem suspicious - both Mikasa and Levi got their blades partway through Reiner, for example, and couldn't manage to finish him off. Same with Levi and Zeke. There's always an explanation/rationalization from Mikasa and Levi but it could be that they're not conscious of what's stopping them from cutting all the way through their necks.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Super Rad posted:

It's simply the amount of times it has occurred that makes it seem suspicious - both Mikasa and Levi got their blades partway through Reiner, for example, and couldn't manage to finish him off. Same with Levi and Zeke. There's always an explanation/rationalization from Mikasa and Levi but it could be that they're not conscious of what's stopping them from cutting all the way through their necks.

It'd be more suspicious if anyone else had managed it. Levi killed Zeke with the thunder spears. It's not his fault there was actual divine intervention to make it not stick. The only way we've seen shifters die is by being eaten. We've heard their powers get passed on if they die otherwise, but never seen it.

Basically, Shifters are really, really hard to put down.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Even that's not guaranteed to take, Eren got eaten by a pure titan, but that one made the mistake of just biting off Eren's legs and allowing him to float in his stomach sac, long enough for the shifter to regain their wits and transform within him. You have to knock a shifter unconscious long enough to release and digest their spinal fluid.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

This manga and the presentation of its story gains so much from being animated.

I remember reading the Eren nutcracker scene years ago and thinking "wow, that was unexpected!"

The horror of what was happening didn't really dawn on me without the animation, direction, musical score, and voice acting. I definitely prefer the hand animated titan style from before, but I do think MAPA have done a great job so far with this arc.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
If this season is split into two parts and really is only 16 episodes, it's gonna cliffhanger on Eren's beheading right?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’d be the best cliffhanger possible yeah

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Szmitten posted:

If this season is split into two parts and really is only 16 episodes, it's gonna cliffhanger on Eren's beheading right?

If the pacing is the same as for the first eight episodes, it's going to cliffhanger a bit after that.

After PATHS, with the Rumbling kicking off.

freeipods
Jul 3, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

If the pacing is the same as for the first eight episodes, it's going to cliffhanger a bit after that.

After PATHS, with the Rumbling kicking off.

There were shots of Ymir's backstory in the trailer, so this sounds about right.

Has it been officially confirmed yet that there will be a part 2 or is that still just speculation? Were both parts of season 3 announced at once?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

freeipods posted:

There were shots of Ymir's backstory in the trailer, so this sounds about right.

Has it been officially confirmed yet that there will be a part 2 or is that still just speculation? Were both parts of season 3 announced at once?

Season 3's parts were not announced at launch. We learned it about halfway through part 1.
The same folks who correctly leaked that this season would use CG titans, be 16 episodes, and not finish the series also said that all of the scenes shown in the trailer will make it into this season. So we are very likely ending on Eren getting control of the Founding Titan and announcing the Rumbling.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Including Ymir is probably for the best. I just love the idea of it ending on that image with still no announcement of a Part 2.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Question since it was on the anime. Anne, Reiner, and Berdholt just infiltrated Paradis. They meet the single guy who tells his story about abandoning his family. Hes found hung the next morning. Bertholdt thinks its because the man was overwhelmed with guilt and hung himself. But Reiner and Anne are silent and well, sus. Im terrible with subtext. Did the guy kill himself out of survivors guilt or did Anne and Reiner off him in the night out of disgust and their own survivors guilt? This is reinforced by Reiner wanting to be judged by Eren, in the same way he killed that guy.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Guy killed himself.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
More specifically he killed himself because he wanted to be judged and found no one willing to do so and so absolve him of his guilt by condemning him. He wanted to be punished for his actions and instead had to live with the crippling guilt of his decision and so decided to kill himself instead of face that.

It's why Reiner immediately thinks of him when he meets Eren, he also wanted to be judged for the horrible things he had done and thought Eren was about to give him the punishment he so desperately believes he deserves.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Graphic design is my passion

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

chiasaur11 posted:

But he's an ape.

Ooook?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Did anyone get the number of that Cart Titan?

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
You know who's great?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

You know who's great?

The truest thing that has ever been posted in this thread.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

#1 best named character killer

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Sasha's death in the anime today managed to get some tears out of me. I sometimes wonder if the Gabi hate would've been as strong if she'd killed almost any other named character. Good move on Isayama's part though, really demonstrates how easy it is to get people to hate something even though Gabi herself is a literal child who's been manipulated, lied to, and abused her entire life.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
It makes sense that she killed Sasha, who she recognized as the sharpshooter and witnessed herself.
The only bit missing from the whole interaction is possibly an aside from Sasha during the attack like ; Huh whos that little girl.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
They had Sasha vocalize but omitted her putting her hand to hear ear when she hears the kids smack against the airship.

She was also reaching for her gun (the only soldier doing so) when Gabi suddenly rolls in and shoots.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I didn’t get the impression that Gabi was aiming for anyone in particular, she just happened to get Sasha?

Also Falco best boy, i love how quickly he understood and internalized Reiner and Eren’s pain.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

gently caress, this episode reminded me that Sasha wasn't actually saying "Meat". She was saying "Niccolo".

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

? What’s that

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

DamnGlitch posted:

? What’s that

Niku is meat

Niccolo is her Marleyan boyfriend

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Watching the latest episodes I started wondering why Marley didn't have more anti air units and tactics ready. Reiner had been part of the Paradis Island Scouts for a long time he knew the tactics they would likely bring.
Just arrogance?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Given the tech level of Paradis they witnessed they probably thought they were fairly safe. They didn't account for them gaining outside allies who helped them develop faster.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
They also didn't account for Zeke to play both sides but of course. The fight was really one sided Galliard and Pieck both deserve MVP honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Probably been pointed out before but I love the parallel-ness between the Season 1 and 4 posters.