Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

RadicalTranslation posted:

Hey guys. I feel like I'm going crazy.

Watched Bacurau and I thought it was genuinely awful, but everyone else loved it.

I didn't think it was awful, but I was disappointed in it as well. I guess my main problem with it was that the invaders were more interesting than the villagers, which is a problem for an anti-imperialist movie. The village was just very copacetic; any interpersonal drama they had was incredibly easily resolved. The invaders had a bunch of internal strife that ran the gamut from ideological to racial to plain annoyances. I found that denying the villagers a more dynamic range of character killed my interest in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

pospysyl posted:

I didn't think it was awful, but I was disappointed in it as well. I guess my main problem with it was that the invaders were more interesting than the villagers, which is a problem for an anti-imperialist movie. The village was just very copacetic; any interpersonal drama they had was incredibly easily resolved. The invaders had a bunch of internal strife that ran the gamut from ideological to racial to plain annoyances. I found that denying the villagers a more dynamic range of character killed my interest in the story.

This is mostly how I felt. I enjoyed it overall, but I also felt a little underwhelmed. My issue though, was that the villagers WERE more interesting than the invaders but the movie spends more time focusing on the invaders.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I just had my first doner kebab Turkish pide for lunch and it was pretty great.

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

Greekonomics posted:

This is mostly how I felt. I enjoyed it overall, but I also felt a little underwhelmed. My issue though, was that the villagers WERE more interesting than the invaders but the movie spends more time focusing on the invaders.

Yeah was looking to say this.

As soon as there is that 10 minute seen in the middle of the movie that focuses on the invaders, I completely was pulled out the movie.

The tone completely changed and I lost all and any investment I had to to that point.

The invaders characters are not interesting in the least.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I would like you to know I haven't showered in 2 days, drank 4 shots of whiskey and 1 of tequila, ate 3 shawarmas and 1 slice of brownie and this morning invested in Gamestop, AMC, and Nokia. I got a new car this week and saved my company $2.3 million dollars.

I feel fine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I bought 5 shares of Nokia. TOO THE MOON!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

I bought 5 shares of Nokia. TOO THE MOON!

HODL!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gatts posted:

I would like you to know I haven't showered in 2 days, drank 4 shots of whiskey and 1 of tequila, ate 3 shawarmas and 1 slice of brownie and this morning invested in Gamestop, AMC, and Nokia. I got a new car this week and saved my company $2.3 million dollars.

I feel fine.

I rewrote the same script I’ve been writing for years and took a massive dump

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gatts posted:

I feel fine.

Reading this as Patrick Bateman.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reading this as Patrick Bateman.

Nice. Very nice.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am sorry I think I killed this chat

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Gatts posted:

I am sorry I think I killed this chat

This chat will never die. Give me a topic and I will complain about it right loving now!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CPL593H posted:

This chat will never die. Give me a topic and I will complain about it right loving now!

The original Sleuth isn't available on bluray

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, of course it isn't and don't hold your breath. Disney bought out the 20th Century Fox back catalog and outright said they don't give a gently caress about it and just want the X-Men film rights. They also hosed up repertory theaters for the same reason. Good thing that's not a huge collection of classic and beloved films, right? Thankfully AMC narrowly avoided getting bought out by Disney because that's a racket again because the law prohibiting it expired because anti-trust laws are just toilet paper to big business. Otherwise you could have kissed seeing movies for actual loving adults in a theater without having to go to a major metropolitan are.

Next.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was watching The Final Countdown and I noticed Lloyd Kaufman’s name in the credits as an associate producer. I was wondering if it was the same Lloyd Kaufman who runs Troma and sure enough he shows up in a cameo role opposite Kirk Douglas.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Gripweed posted:

There are HD copies of it floating around though. Very good scans for it. If someone is really interested in it feel free to PM me. A blu ray would be best, but there's ways to see it in good quality nonetheless.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

teagone posted:

I just had my first doner kebab Turkish pide for lunch and it was pretty great.

Pide's a top ten food

I'm gonna order some because you mentioned it

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CPL593H posted:

I'm going to drink whiskey and watch an anime tonight and eat a chipotle burrito. Lupin the IIIrd: Fujiko Mine's Lie.

And I have 4 weeks of vacation I need to figure out what to do with.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gatts posted:

I'm going to drink whiskey and watch an anime tonight and eat a chipotle burrito. Lupin the IIIrd: Fujiko Mine's Lie.

Start a Warhammer army

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Gatts posted:

Ya dude! That’s a great movie, best of the trilogy.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Anonymous Robot posted:

Ya dude! That’s a great movie, best of the trilogy.

I did like it. But I’m a sucker for femme fatales.

Gripweed posted:

Start a Warhammer army

You know how you try to avoid certain things cause you know you’d sink down the rabbit hole...

Gatts fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 31, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gatts posted:

Have you seen Doom Patrol? Watch Doom Patrol.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Probably a good thing Tarkovsky didn't have twitter.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Finally watched Apocalypse Now after owning the DVD for 10 years and have just found out reading the wiki that there has been 2 versions/revisions since!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Julie Taymor’s Titus kicks so much rear end.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Julie Taymor’s Titus kicks so much rear end.

It really does, it’s a great one

CPL593H posted:

Have you seen Doom Patrol? Watch Doom Patrol.

I will check it out

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Finally watched Apocalypse Now after owning the DVD for 10 years and have just found out reading the wiki that there has been 2 versions/revisions since!

Now watch Hearts of Darkness

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Now watch Hearts of Darkness

I had no idea about that movie till wiki-surfing today but if Tim Roth and John Malkovich are in it I'm already sold

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Peccadillo posted:

Pide's a top ten food

I'm gonna order some because you mentioned it

Yeah, it was pretty great. I had it with a root beer too. I kinda felt like poo poo afterwards, but that's probably because I ate the whole thing. Lmao.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I had no idea about that movie till wiki-surfing today but if Tim Roth and John Malkovich are in it I'm already sold

I think they’re referring to the documentary about the film shoot called Hearts of Darkness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxowb5IQRuI

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Hearts of Darkness is a documentary about the production of Apocalypse Now.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
gently caress, now I've got an extended edition of Apocalypse Now, a documentary on its making, a 1993 film of the same story and Platoon to watch

:munch:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

fenix down posted:

Probably a good thing Tarkovsky didn't have twitter.

I'm sure you could say that about nearly 100% of all iconic film makers. Twitter is a cesspool and everyone on there is insufferable.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Why didn't you fuckwads tell me Sonic was so much fun?

That goddamn mid-credits teaser?!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CPL593H posted:

I'm sure you could say that about nearly 100% of all iconic film makers. Twitter is a cesspool and everyone on there is insufferable.

Agreed. Even with people I agree with, honestly.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

Agreed. Even with people I agree with, honestly.

It's also not a great idea to keep a years long database of every single time you said a dipshit thing as we've seen multiple times.

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

Come hack the planet

https://twitch.tv/racerxtrash

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FilthyImp posted:

Why didn't you fuckwads tell me Sonic was so much fun?

That goddamn mid-credits teaser?!

Been telling people it was shockingly watchable for almost exactly a year now.

It's honestly a bit better than Detective Pikachu, mostly because more than one human character in it actually knows how to act.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I thought Detective Pikachu had its charms but omg Sonic was unwatchable. Just every bad talking animal kids movie trope back to back to back. Not a single laugh or moment of joy to be found. The only saving grace was the credits sequence with the classic Sega style animation. Shoulda just been the whole movie cause everything else was dogshit.

No exaggeration, one of the most miserable experiences I've ever had with a film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah Sonic was pretty excruciating.

Detective Pikachu was fun and weird but i was also pretty gone off edibles when i saw it.