Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I personally have always been more positive on Default's story more than most people I feel; yeah there are some genuine criticisms it deserves for both the second half structure and ending, but there was an emotional core to the cast (especially the Asterisks) that I felt was pretty much completely lost in Second. It felt like a genuine attempt to make a SNES era FF plot and flesh it out with some modern writing touches so it felt very comfortable.

The other problem with Second which no one even its most ardent defenders can deny is the music, and to me I way more upset at the downgrade in the music than I will ever be with Default's ending/second half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Working my way trough Bravely Default now. I thought was nearing the end then the game basically started over and now I've fought all the bosses twice.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Working my way trough Bravely Default now. I thought was nearing the end then the game basically started over and now I've fought all the bosses twice.

you can do it, champ

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm a bit of an outlier in that I actually enjoyed getting to kick everyone's asses again with all my new abilities and classes.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
bravely default is super good. i never played bravely second but am cautiously optimistic for 2

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cardiovorax posted:

Man, it's really hard to keep up with who is or isn't a mod these days, it changes really quickly.

It's easy to tell who's a mod, you just find the posters who are cops

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I thought it was lit because it was remixed versions of new bosses to try out your new abilities and strategies on and I'm a sucker for that kind of time travel situation

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Never heard of the werewolf game, what are people's thoughts on it.

Very excited for 3D World and Bravely Default 2.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, it isn't out yet, but I always thought that Werewolf was the worst of the old White Wolf game lines and with how Vampire Bloodlines 2 seems to be turning out by all accounts, I gotta admit I'm thoroughly sceptical on the whole thing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I thought it was lit because it was remixed versions of new bosses to try out your new abilities and strategies on and I'm a sucker for that kind of time travel situation
Also a lot of the Asterisks have their best character beats/development in those chapters.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Put Ys 9 in the OP
releases on the 12th

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Really excited for that one. Lacrimosa of DANA was great fun and Samurai Sanders says Ys 9 is also pretty decent.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah i just like running full speed through the levels trashing monsters
more action games need insane run velocities.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Real hurthling! posted:

Put Ys 9 in the OP
releases on the 12th

Sure

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Been playing a lot of Persona 5 recently. Turn-based JRPGs were my kryptonite for a long time but I finished Like a Dragon a little while back and am thoroughly enjoying Persona, so it turns out I just don't like lovely, boring JRPGs.

That said I'm a little tired of P5 railroading me into story content for days on end. The pacing is so nice and chill once they open up the town and side activities, and then they force you into hours and hours of linear story content and lock you out of the town activities. Get out of your own way, game!

Jose's shop might be the best shop menu in a game I've ever seen?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I always thought that enforced multi-day structure for dungeon dives was a bit of a weird direction for them to take it. In P4, you could conceivably finish every dungeon on the first day it's available and then just be done with it, although it was a real chore to do so. With how much of the game revolves around time management and structuring your schedule the way you want it to, it seems a bit counterproductive.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Been playing a lot of Persona 5 recently. Turn-based JRPGs were my kryptonite for a long time but I finished Like a Dragon a little while back and am thoroughly enjoying Persona, so it turns out I just don't like lovely, boring JRPGs.

yet you're playing persona??

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

tbh the hours of story content locking you out of the daily stuff isnt bcos of the palace structure and p4g also does that lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

persona 5, is good. a universal truth.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Looper posted:

yet you're playing persona??

My biggest issue with JRPGs was always the combat being a slog and not particularly engaging or interesting. Persona 5's combat is pretty simple BUT it's extremely stylish and most of the time very quick so it feels like a snappy interlude instead of something you just have to grit your teeth and deal with.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Making combat dynamic and giving it a degree of complexity over what most JRPGs have is pretty much Shin Megami Tensei's whole thing, so you might enjoy other entries to the IP as well.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

roger craig smith was replaced as sonic because netflix is doing a new bad sonic cartoon by the same studios as the CG Megaman cartoon from a couple of years ago

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

persona 5, is good. a universal truth.

:hmmyes:

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm a bit of an outlier in that I actually enjoyed getting to kick everyone's asses again with all my new abilities and classes.

I also really loved the remixed asterisk fights. Those alone made that part of the game completely worth it.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

the CG Megaman cartoon from a couple of years ago

The What!???

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
My big shiny PS5 arrived on Saturday, when Gamestop's website still says "Preparing for Shipment". Blessed. Also, true to reports, the console is very large.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Enjoy your new Kaiba Station.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Hmm, this is an accurate representation

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The one where there's a tiny Mega Man inside Mega Man's head and also Mega Man is a high school student.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Currently Playing

Sniper Elite 4 - Great potential but ruined by bad ai that just walks up and gets shot. shift to open map design is great though. its like hitman but you can kill the targets from 1000 meters.
Cyber Shadow - Super awesome. big recommend. Some parts are crazy hard but overall its not as hard as nes ninja gaiden. The full kit of abilities makes you a crazy badass.
The Medium - poop from a butt. trying to be silent hill but nothing cool going on. slow walking, long boring cutscenes

aww yeah

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Persona 5 makes a few small changes to Persona combat (and one big one) and they add up to make it an absolute joy to play.

Small changes include:
  • The action menu on a character's turn maps each option to a face button instead of having you scroll through a menu. That is, you hit Triangle to open the skills menu instead of scrolling to Skills and hitting X. This is something Yakuza: Like a Dragon does as well and I love it. (And Super Mario RPG way back on the SNES, for that matter. It was brilliant then and it's brilliant now.)
  • Characters summon their personas right when you open the skill menu, not as part of the "use skill" animation. It's a tiny time save per action but it really adds up.
  • The protagonist can switch personas from within the skill menu instead of making "switch persona" a separate menu.
And then the big one is Baton Pass. I played some Persona 4 yesterday and it felt so restrictive without the ability to pass my 1 More to someone else. Baton Pass feels so good to use.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

The Medium - poop from a butt. trying to be silent hill but nothing cool going on. slow walking, long boring cutscenes
The facial animations are also weirdly terrible.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Persona 5 is ok

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is a good month for video games. Nioh 2 (PC), Bravely Default II, and Persona 5 Strikers are all games i'm planning on buying.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

xposting from the retro console thread because this thing whips rear end

Weedle posted:

got my rg350m yesterday morning. i ordered it from anbernic’s aliexpress store and it got here in five days—not bad. the out of the box experience was pretty good but i didn’t care for the stock launcher and none of the scaling options in the game boy and gba emulators looked good on this display. i installed some more recent versions of those emulators and the games look dramatically better. i also installed simplemenu and set it as the default launcher, and it’s a big improvement in look and usability. you use the shoulder buttons to page through the different systems and you can edit an ini file to configure the organizational scheme and hide systems you’re not using. eventually i may set it up to display box art for all my games but just having a nice clean series of lists instead of something that feels like a counterfeit palm pilot is plenty nice

i’ve also tested the snes, genesis/sega cd (for snatcher), and ps1 emulators and they all work really well. overall build quality and feel is excellent, much better than you would expect from a $125 device. very impressed overall and the community support for these systems is really cool. i went with the 350 over the 351 because the display is better for ps1 games, but if i had known the 351 has half-life i might have sprung for that instead. maybe i’ll upgrade when they do one with good n64 support

here are the updated gb/gba emulators i installed
https://github.com/bardeci/gambatte-dms/releases/download/20210116/gambatte-dms-rg350m-r572u4-20210116.opk
https://github.com/jdgleaver/ReGBA/releases/download/1.7/regba_rg350.opk

and here's the guide i used to set up simplemenu (a hassle but worth it)
https://retrogamecorps.com/2020/08/19/guide-simplemenu-on-the-rg350/

e: oh yeah, one other useful thing: i had to install this driver on my windows 10 pc before i could sftp into the 350m. RNDIS, not rndis11, is the one that worked for me. idk what the difference is
https://github.com/retrogamehandheld/RG-350/blob/master/drivers/windows/RG350-signed_driver.zip

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Harrow posted:

And then the big one is Baton Pass. I played some Persona 4 yesterday and it felt so restrictive without the ability to pass my 1 More to someone else. Baton Pass feels so good to use.

bless Royal for giving baton pass ASAP.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i hope smt5 comes out and changes things up. i feel like the press turn system just makes me build all my demons into rainbows of every element type so that i can just press turn over and over no matter what pops up and thats kinda boring idk.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I got the last “ability” in Cyber Shadow although I think I’m missing a sword upgrade still. On stage 8 I think, getting close to the end. Really great throughout, with great music and lots of arrangements for different parts of each stage

One thing I really like is how well it introduces each enemy and gameplay element. It looks like the dlevel designers took careful notes on how Nintendo designs their elements in the Mario games. You usually get to see and enemy or feature in a harmless way, or are allowed to get a tease for how they’ll expand on it later on, before slowly adding new layers.

For example, there’s a stage where there’s a spot where an obviously different colored floor gets an electrical charge at fixed intervals. You ride a platform over the floor and see a lightning ball being shot down from the ceiling and when it hits the floor it gets electrified. In the next room, the lightning is coming from below and first travels through some pipes before electrifying the floor, and the next platform has no pipes or delay. Later you find jellyfish enemies that just float non-aggressively. Then you find that if they get hit by the lightning they give off a large electric damaging aura. Then you find that if the jellyfish are close enough the lightning charge will travel between them. You can see that it’s layers upon layers but it never feels like a brand new danger came out of nowhere.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't think I could ever play Persona 5 again. by the time I finished, I was utterly exhausted with it and I didn't think it made good on the potential of like any of its story beats or character beats. very disappointing for me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

wuggles posted:

bless Royal for giving baton pass ASAP.

Yeah that was a huge improvement. That and having guns refill their ammo every encounter. It does so much to make the combat fun and fluid right from the start. I also appreciate that it makes it a lot easier to use a new party member in the dungeon where they first join, since you no longer have the "you can't baton pass to this one person in your party" problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

I got the last “ability” in Cyber Shadow although I think I’m missing a sword upgrade still. On stage 8 I think, getting close to the end. Really great throughout, with great music and lots of arrangements for different parts of each stage

One thing I really like is how well it introduces each enemy and gameplay element. It looks like the dlevel designers took careful notes on how Nintendo designs their elements in the Mario games. You usually get to see and enemy or feature in a harmless way, or are allowed to get a tease for how they’ll expand on it later on, before slowly adding new layers.

For example, there’s a stage where there’s a spot where an obviously different colored floor gets an electrical charge at fixed intervals. You ride a platform over the floor and see a lightning ball being shot down from the ceiling and when it hits the floor it gets electrified. In the next room, the lightning is coming from below and first travels through some pipes before electrifying the floor, and the next platform has no pipes or delay. Later you find jellyfish enemies that just float non-aggressively. Then you find that if they get hit by the lightning they give off a large electric damaging aura. Then you find that if the jellyfish are close enough the lightning charge will travel between them. You can see that it’s layers upon layers but it never feels like a brand new danger came out of nowhere.

i'm on stage 9 and everything is a clusterfuck but yeah each little element of the clustered gently caress was shown to me in a nice safe demo first