Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally, a batman film that will explore how its being an orphan that made Batman a horrible being unworthy of love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Megera posted:

I hate that MLP dragon's unsettling Elsa face, but everything else looks great

Glad I'm not the only one whose first thought was "oh it's an Elsa dragon"

I mean, I still like the design and the new trailer did a much better job than the first one of making the movie look interesting, but still :v:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched that Raya trailer at work with the sound off and I was like "wow this looks amazing!"

After work I watched it with the sound on and my anticipation cooled. I hope it's just crap music and cliche lines deployed by hacky executives who are trying to appeal to general audiences and that the actual film will live up to all the work put in on the visuals.

As for Laika, both are DC movies? That's a bit of a disappointment, you'd think they'd be allowed to make one original film. But maybe Travis is busy with live action now and Warner IP is the only thing keeping Laika useful. I'm glad it keeps a bunch of stop motion animators in work (and also a whole ghost crew of CG animators who never get talked about. My old supervisor was a CG animator on Boxtrolls and he said 80% of the characters in that movie are CG designed to look like stop motion. Only a few of the main characters were actually stop motion. They keep the CG guys in a separate building lol)

Ccs fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 27, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ccs posted:

I watched that Raya trailer at work with the sound off and I was like "wow this looks amazing!"

After work I watched it with the sound on and my anticipation cooled. I hope it's just crap music and cliche lines deployed by hacky executives who are trying to appeal to general audiences and that the actual film will live up to all the work put in on the visuals.

Trailers, particularly ones for animated movies, have a long history of including the worst and lamest lines.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I hate batman!!!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Trailers, particularly ones for animated movies, have a long history of including the worst and lamest lines.

I'm just getting awfully tired of the formula trailer format, where there's all this big dramatic sweeping Big Bad Boss Fight stuff leading to TITLE CARD REVEAL —> smash cut to "goofball butt joke scene" and the end

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Data Graham posted:

I'm just getting awfully tired of the formula trailer format, where there's all this big dramatic sweeping Big Bad Boss Fight stuff leading to TITLE CARD REVEAL —> smash cut to "goofball butt joke scene" and the end

The smash cut to the goofball but joke sucked, but I super disagree about the music in the trailer. The music mixed with how it was cut, specifically where she's going into the temple and fighting the villain, are awesome.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I've long learned to never trust the trailer for animated movies, they're so badly done and rarely shows what the movie is actually like (Spies in Disguise definitely suffered from this)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Trailers in general nowadays seem to be desperately trying to include all the dumbest jokes with obviously out of context scenes and in general trying to appeal what seems to be the dumbest segment of the audience.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or kids

Sorry double post

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

FunkyAl posted:

I hate batman!!!

"I do not like Batman or Batmen. I do not like when they begin. I do not like when they return. I do not like when they rise." -Mike Nelson

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Laika Sandman would be good.
Laika Plastic Man would be interesting.

That's all I got.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My first idea for a DC Laika film would be Super-Sons, focussing on Jon Kent and Damian Wayne.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The_Doctor posted:

My first idea for a DC Laika film would be Super-Sons, focussing on Jon Kent and Damian Wayne.

Slap Billy Batson on there and I'm in

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
if you're wondering why Illumination films are so wildly successful, it's because they've mastered the art of making lovely films with just enough content for the trailers that fire the correct neurons in children-having adults. every other animated trailer is trying to ape that while also producing worthwhile films, which is a fool's errand.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Blue Sky and Illumination are both pretty Design by Committee unless it's someone else's IP that has creative control.

They're not trying to push the limitations of CGI or create art, they're hitting character designs that are psychologically proven to be appealing to a wide demographic, and story beats that are generally 'safe'.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Damian is hella obnoxious, though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Robindaybird posted:

Blue Sky and Illumination are both pretty Design by Committee unless it's someone else's IP that has creative control.

They're not trying to push the limitations of CGI or create art, they're hitting character designs that are psychologically proven to be appealing to a wide demographic, and story beats that are generally 'safe'.

Speaking of has there been any update to the Mario movie? I'm not super concerned about Illumination loving it up or like making the Toads just minions or something since Nintendo is pretty iron grip with those characters, but there has been nothing about it. I mean I now the pandemic but still

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Speaking of has there been any update to the Mario movie? I'm not super concerned about Illumination loving it up or like making the Toads just minions or something since Nintendo is pretty iron grip with those characters, but there has been nothing about it. I mean I now the pandemic but still

I haven't seen any updates about it, but we just got the first smuggled footage of the Mario Kart ride in Tokyo so they're still working together.

From the Disney World thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyfzkdtxr4Q

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I thought Blue Sky's first Ice age and take on Horton hears a who were pretty good.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think the strangest thing is how not much else does what the minions do.

Like, for 50+ years almost all animation was nonverbal slapstick physical comedy. Then for the last few decades it's fairly hard to name anything that does that. Minions actually is more or less cornering the market of the genre that was nearly synonymous with animation for most of a century.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

FunkyAl posted:

I hate batman!!!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember when the first Ice Age trailer came out, which was just a 4-minute wordless Scrat (as yet unnamed) segment. My friends and I thought it was the greatest thing ever; we passed it around like a viral video. Look at all this slapstick and physical comedy! It's like a throwback to the Golden Age! This movie is going to rock!!

... And then the movie itself was just kind of eeehhhh, wisecracking buddy road movie, with the Scrat stuff as occasional interstitial comedy relief, which itself got repetitive and boring. It was a very disillusioning experience

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fartington Butts posted:

Damian is hella obnoxious, though.

He’s a brat, just make it part of his arc to be less so and more of a team player.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just realised earwig and the witch is coming out like next week

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

Slap Billy Batson on there and I'm in

I wish this were real...

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I just saw Cool World. The twisted design of the city was neat, but otherwise drat, what a stinker.
Constant obnoxious noise as lovely looking toons doodles babble and bounce about the frame, a barely coherent plot or world, unlikable characters and nothing animated interacts convincingly with anything physical.

I have such a greater appreciation for Who Framed Roger Rabbit now.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Followed up with another Bakshi: Fire and Ice
It's ok. Way too horny. No one wears appropriate attire for the Ice Kingdom.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

'Too horny' is really one of Bakshi's things.

Cool World is just dire, and I am saying as someone who generally find Bakshi's works viscerally unpleasant to look at, the movie would've likely been much better if he was allowed to what he originally wanted - an R-rated horror, not a PG-13 watered down sex joke

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

bitterandtwisted posted:

I just saw Cool World. The twisted design of the city was neat, but otherwise drat, what a stinker.
Constant obnoxious noise as lovely looking toons doodles babble and bounce about the frame, a barely coherent plot or world, unlikable characters and nothing animated interacts convincingly with anything physical.

I have such a greater appreciation for Who Framed Roger Rabbit now.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Followed up with another Bakshi: Fire and Ice
It's ok. Way too horny. No one wears appropriate attire for the Ice Kingdom.
now watch heavy traffic

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

FunkyAl posted:

I hate batman!!!

This is true. I hate Batman too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I hate Batman but LEGO batman did a great job with him, turning him into a character with growth. it's hilarious how much more thematically coherent and challenging it is than any of the serious batman films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEHWBp3KjCI

Pick fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 1, 2021

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

perepelki posted:

now watch heavy traffic

Then coonskin

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Variety panned Goro Miyazaki's "Earwig and the Witch". Poor Goro, he's tried directing movie in both hand drawn and CG and neither has measured up a bit.

https://variety.com/2021/film/reviews/earwig-and-the-witch-review-1234896618/

quote:

It will take closer to 75 minutes, actually, at which point the movie abruptly ends without providing any sense of those adventures. Judging by the opening motorcycle chase — in which this witch (voiced by Kacey Musgraves in the GKIDS-produced, HBO Max-streaming English dub) uses her flaming red, corkscrew-shaped hair to cast an impressive spell — it’s almost certain that whatever Erica’s high-speeding, spell-casting absentee mom is doing off-screen must be a lot more exciting than what her daughter (Taylor Paige Henderson) is up to. Sneaking around and complaining, mostly.

quote:

Something’s clearly missing, and the most obvious answer is magic, both on-screen and in the project’s conception. Pencil sketches over the end credits point to all sorts of scenes that didn’t make the cut while reminding how much better characters look when drawn by hand. Bella Yaga and Mandrake are relatively interesting to look at, but Earwig simply isn’t an appealing character, her expressions limited by her permanently arched eyebrows and plastic-looking face.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Having just read the book in preparation for the movie, I think this is kind of a failure of the original material, because Earwig and the Witch is pretty blatantly just the first six chapters of a novel left unfinished being published as an original story. The stuff that people complain about getting dropped, like Earwig's mother, is also completely dropped in the book.

It also kind of has the signature failing of the lesser DWJ books in that Earwig ultimately bends her new home around her finger not because of her own cleverness, but because the Mandrake turns out to be a caring and responsible father figure who will insist on Bella Yaga behaving correctly to her as soon as he notices what's going on.

You can basically tell all of Jones' lesser outings by the way the plot is ultimately resolved by the intervention of a Responsible Adult who was probably just sleeping or something while all this nonsense was building up. Sometimes this involves a Responsible Adult appearing and sweeping away an actual war while telling everybody not to be so silly.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Paddington was a really good movie, the CGI on the bears was great, and the jokes like "Taxi" on the sliding door of a van folding out to "Taxidermist" were great. These kinds of movies are so much better than they were in the 2000s, e.g. Horton Hears A Who and Yogi Bear, which were inexplicably filled with toilet humor and pop culture references no one born since the 1970s would care for

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

galenanorth posted:

Paddington was a really good movie, the CGI on the bears was great, and the jokes like "Taxi" on the sliding door of a van folding out to "Taxidermist" were great. These kinds of movies are so much better than they were in the 2000s, e.g. Horton Hears A Who and Yogi Bear, which were inexplicably filled with toilet humor and pop culture references no one born since the 1970s would care for

Both Paddington's are really great but goddamnit I can't seem to convince ANY of my friends (even those with kids) to watch them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

Both Paddington's are really great but goddamnit I can't seem to convince ANY of my friends (even those with kids) to watch them.

I have heard that they are great from every single person whose taste I trust, and I still can't bring myself to watch them

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Much like when I was convincing my parents to go see spider verse. And my mother said, but I don't like Spiderman. And I was like, mother, there's probably no one on earth that hates Spider-Man more than I do, I completely understand where you're coming from, but you have to go see this movie. Anyway, my parents really liked it but it took some work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I loving love the art direction of Cool World so much I have some cels and backgrounds hung proudly along the rest of my lovely movie memorabilia, I genuinely love Brad Pitt and Kim Basinger in it, and the soundtrack fuckin' rules but WOW is the end result some hot garbage. I'll always be bitter I'll never get to see the horror movie that was written, because the premise and storyboards were fantastic.

e: let Barry E. Jackson do more horror art, you cowards, his talent is being wasted