Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arcsquad12 posted:

Little about that really screamed Pacific Rim to me.

At least they used the theme. If that’s in the show I’ll suffer anime to hear it.

I’m still salty they didn’t use it in Uprising except for one scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This cover's great

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is there a release date on it?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

At least they used the theme. If that’s in the show I’ll suffer anime to hear it.

Anime can be cool.

:shobon:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

teagone posted:

Anime can be cool.

It can be, I'm usually just wary of anime adaptations because they can tend to be anime first and adaptations second. I'm hoping that's not the case here and we get a robot punch show rather than a long stretch of ruminations on the human psyche in order to save the budget.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arcsquad12 posted:

It can be, I'm usually just wary of anime adaptations because they can tend to be anime first and adaptations second. I'm hoping that's not the case here and we get a robot punch show

I can't even

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

Anime can be cool.

I don’t like the way anime looks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

I can't even

I can even. I love Gundam and the vibe it has but I also got burned by the godzilla anime being a boring slog with almost no action and way too many talking scenes that did nothing for me. I want Jaegers punching Kaiju front and center and until I see that I'm gonna be skeptical.

I'm very picky with anime because there's so much of it and I'm able to be selective. Anime adaptations of other media can be a coin flip for me because I might like the source material and dislike what the adaptation chooses to do. SiN is a stupid rear end FPS game but its fun and the anime movie they made for it is rear end. I seriously doubt that a Pacific Rim anime will be THAT bad because few things are, but I need to wait and see more and be suspicious until then.

Does that make sense? It's overly critical I'll admit.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 2, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Anime can be cool but most of it isn't.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arcsquad12 posted:

I can even. I love Gundam and the vibe it has but I also got burned by the godzilla anime being a boring slog with almost no action and way too many talking scenes that did nothing for me. I want Jaegers punching Kaiju front and center and until I see that I'm gonna be skeptical.

I'm very picky with anime because there's so much of it and I'm able to be selective. Anime adaptations of other media can be a coin flip for me because I might like the source material and dislike what the adaptation chooses to do. SiN is a stupid rear end FPS game but its fun and the anime movie they made for it is rear end. I seriously doubt that a Pacific Rim anime will be THAT bad because few things are, but I need to wait and see more and be suspicious until then.

Does that make sense? It's overly critical I'll admit.

Being wary of adaptations is fine, especially if you aren't a fan of the studio's previous work. I just read your earlier post as you thought there was a spectrum with "robot punch show" one end and "anime" on the other. That's why I was a bit flabbergasted

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

Being wary of adaptations is fine, especially if you aren't a fan of the studio's previous work. I just read your earlier post as you thought there was a spectrum with "robot punch show" one end and "anime" on the other. That's why I was a bit flabbergasted

Its more a spectrum of "Imagawa-directed Giant Robot punch mans shows" on one end and the worst NGE imitators on the other end where they think pseudo-intellectual pablum makes up for having poo poo animation and bad fights.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arcsquad12 posted:

Its more a spectrum of "Imagawa-directed Giant Robot punch mans shows" on one end and the worst NGE imitators on the other end where they think pseudo-intellectual pablum makes up for having poo poo animation and bad fights.

The best robot fights are in Tomino-directed shows, but I take your meaning.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

The best robot fights are in Tomino-directed shows, but I take your meaning.

I definitely agree with you there but Imagawa shows are more about the fights than Tomino shows. Tomino shows tend to have more creative fights but they aren't the focus, if you get my meaning. Gundam might have the Final Shooting but G Gundam has a hand that's burning red all the time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There really needs to be a Jaeger with piston arms, I've always wanted to see this happen to something disgustingly organic

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Shiroc posted:

Is there a release date on it?

blu-ray.com has it for March 23rd

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

McSpanky posted:

There really needs to be a Jaeger with piston arms, I've always wanted to see this happen to something disgustingly organic

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Pacific Rim also gave us rocket punch arms

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah Cherno and Gypsy both draw on the Big O for punches and Cherno has a man crush on the Zaku II

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That's not a Big O punch. That's a Scopedog punch.

I know that Del Toro said the Cherno Alpha was based on the Zaku, but come on it's clearly more Scopedog. For god's sake, look at the pilot helmets!

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 2, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Pacific Rim also gave us rocket punch arms

And Charlie Day/Burn Gorman buddy duo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

That's not a Big O punch. That's a Scopedog punch.

I know that Del Toro said the Cherno Alpha was based on the Zaku, but come on it's clearly more Scopedog. For god's sake, look at the pilot helmets!

The Scopedog definitely feels like Okawara was iterating on the Zaku when he was given an actual animation budget to work with. The Zaku is simple enough to work with the nonexistent budget of Gundam, but the Scopedog has the details to it that benefit from tighter animation. It's got his chonky style.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 2, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Scopedog definitely feels like Okawara was iterating on the Zaku when he was given an actual animation budget to work with. The Zaku is simple enough to work with the nonexistent budget of Gundam, but the Scopedog has the details to it that benefit from tighter animation. It's got his chonky style.

The Scopedog has some of that Zaku character, but on top of one of the Walker Machines from Xabungle, which Okawara also designed. Way more divorced from the heroic/villainous anthropomorphism of the Super Robot shows, this thing is made of sheet metal, runs on gas, and breaks down at inopportune times.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/GODZILLA_SP/status/1356437188032913408

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm pretty sure they broke the law by not showing Godzilla in their Godzilla trailer.

But I liked that snippet of Jet Jaguar.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Maybe I'm missing something but there seems to be zero Godzilla in that Godzilla trailer. I can't say I'm excited, I was bored by the previous Godzilla animes and I know this one is made by different people, but as time goes on I think a lot anime is just something I don't get. It just doesn't click with me for whatever reason (apart from a couple obv ones).

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Maybe they should remake Denver the Last Dinosaur....along with the theme song...but only Godzilla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLlibrF5DRM

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The point of the trailer was to introduce the voice cast so of course it focused on the human characters.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

The point of the trailer was to introduce the voice cast so of course it focused on the human characters.

Perhaps then the trailer...missed the point entirely....

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't know what this means.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

They showed Rodan though, and it's not called Rodan: Singular Point. Maybe they're hiding Godzilla's look for whatever reason.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Karloff posted:

They showed Rodan though, and it's not called Rodan: Singular Point. Maybe they're hiding Godzilla's look for whatever reason.

Godzilla is the planet. This won't factor into the plot at all and will only be revealed in the final shot of the movie in a pull out to space. It's increasingly larger Godzilla's all the way down.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

I don't think that was Rodan it looked too small.

Honestly, I'm more happy that the anime seems to be focusing on Jet Jaguar. That's honestly really cool to take a one off movie monster/robot and make it the focus of this anime.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Singular Point already looks like it has more life than the Netflix anime, so that’s at least something. And Jet Jaguar is worth like a million points all by himself, so it was already superior before the word go.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is Rodan related to Ridley?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

GSP looks great to me. :shrug:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't think anyone here was saying it looks bad. My point was that you can't just unveil the trailer to a new Godzilla thing and not show Godzilla. Pretty sure everyone else was echoing the sentiment.

Even a tease of a shot of his eyeball would have been good enough.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I'm also really not impressed with that trailer. Sure it's got jet jaguar but it's a lovely looking pile of junk and there weren't any kaiju

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think anyone here was saying it looks bad. My point was that you can't just unveil the trailer to a new Godzilla thing and not show Godzilla. Pretty sure everyone else was echoing the sentiment.

Even a tease of a shot of his eyeball would have been good enough.

...there's been previous trailers though that literally does exactly what you describe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYE_sLhJ4iU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I've seen a Godzilla vs Hedorah trailer that was just the scene of Hedorah's goop invading that nightclub. Nothing about it would let you know it's a Godzilla film until the title drop at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar

Asterite34 posted:

...there's been previous trailers though that literally does exactly what you describe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYE_sLhJ4iU

Ok that one makes feel better about it. Interesting that it seems to show monsters ranging in size from normal large animal up to truly huge.