Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

FBS posted:

Such a shame Tony D is missing out on this

Gonna lol when NYR comes out with "We are allowing Tony to step away from the game of hockey to figure out some personal issues in his life. We look forward to welcoming him back on March 1."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Dr Zaius posted:

Am I missing the joke here? Because, ya know, Rask...

Surely, the Leafs would never trade someone of Rask's caliber? That would haunt them, for sure.

yes, yes it was

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

This isn't just playing a game for the Leafs (or Oilers), this is playing a complete game for anyone!

I guess I should have mentioned that while I thought the Leafs were bad, I didn't realize that it could be even worse.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1356358635266449414

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The #NJDevils now have 10 players on the NHL's COVID Protocol list: Mackenzie Blackwood, Connor Carrick, Aaron Dell, Andreas Johnsson, Janne Kuokkanen, Michael McLeod, Kyle Palmieri, Sami Vatanen, Pavel Zacha and Travis Zajac.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1356362896280850432

F

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1356364563122368516

Please don't let anybody trade for this fucker

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1356364563122368516

Please don't let anybody trade for this fucker

The Arizona Coyotes are proud to announce

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FBS posted:

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/1356350042991448064

Such a shame Tony D is missing out on this

wouldn't it have been great to make Tony take a warmup in these sweaters, before benching him, he would have been so mad about it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ginette Reno posted:

The Columbus Blue Jackets are proud to announce

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Wouldn't any team that wanted him have picked him up on waivers? Or do they not work like that anymore? Are re-entry waivers still a thing?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

deoju posted:

Wouldn't any team that wanted him have picked him up on waivers? Or do they not work like that anymore? Are re-entry waivers still a thing?

Probably hoping the Rangers will eat salary or the Rangers are just lying about interest!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

deoju posted:

Why pay the full salary when you know drat well the Rags are going to eat half the cost and have to throw in value to get that fucker off their team?

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Only a few teams would have the cap space for him anyway. A trade could see money going the other way or salary retained.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

San Jose is gonna trade for him so Couture and Tony D can feel persecuted together.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

deoju posted:

nobody has cap space really, so anyone who would want him likely needs to be sending back a salaried player to take on his deal

also the blue jackets gotta get in on this. dean kukan and riley nash gets it done, let's go jarmo

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I want to believe that executives are savvy enough to be aware that now is not the best time to look like your vying for a player that needs a huge caveat press release assuring your organization does not condone racism or insurrection

I mean that may play in some cities somewhere but I dunno really

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIRE IN ME
It'd save the Rangers money next season to just send him home for hte rest of the year and then buy him out rather than trade him and eat half the contract but eh who knows

hope this is just a "broke a rule" or "contact tracer got in touch" or "inconclusive test"

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Levitate posted:

It'd save the Rangers money next season to just send him home for hte rest of the year and then buy him out rather than trade him and eat half the contract but eh who knows

hope this is just a "broke a rule" or "contact tracer got in touch" or "inconclusive test"

Isn't Kakko at risk to begin with?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Otis Reddit posted:

OK RAS -- does anybody else feel that all of this going down on Quinn's watch speaks to his being 'in over his head'?

Ridiculous every-other-game arbitrary goalie carousel, Georgiev doesn't play Saturday night, and the whole blowup with TDA doesn't happen (not that I'm not on some level happy he's gone).

There's obviously been something 'off' in the Rangers' locker room for some time, and IMO, not a good look that it came to blows in such a public and embarrassing way.

I agree with Levitate, I don't think this has do with Quinn and how he handles the locker room.

I think Quinn has handled DeAngelo quite well. He took a guy with a history of discipline problems who had been a part-time NHLer at age 23, and got one good season and one great season out of him, despite some scratches for on-ice hockey and personal disciplinary reasons. He scratched him after the first game for taking a hot-headed unsportsmanlike penalty, doing what a coach could regarding his discipline problems. Another scratch was certainly coming after his terrible play last game. All reports are that management has had multiple meetings recently with Tony D regarding these problems, to the point where they were ready to cut him loose after an incident two weeks into the season, so I don't think it's fair to blame the coach. He has really done better than anyone could've imagined with a very difficult player to work with.

I agree that Quinn might be over his head for other reasons, though. The team overall looks like they lack structure, the lines get shuffled with nothing sticking, and a team historically strong on goaltending coaching has failed to put that together with the defense. We do need to consider that they haven't been given a full NHL lineup, though.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Missed the drama but lol gently caress that racist shitheel. gently caress any team that gives him a chance. Send this proud young man to Russia.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

stab posted:

Isn't Kakko at risk to begin with?

Type 1 diabetic and has celiac's disease.

Dunno how risky that really makes him

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Diabetes is like the #2 risk factor and being over 65 is #1, so let's go with "pretty risky."

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
https://twitter.com/drosennhl/status/1356372213822328834

how about the KKKHL

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1356372020469096450
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1356372875595419651

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At PAX 2020, I had dinner with (among other people and through various connections) the manager/agent for Youtube sack of poo poo Keemstar.

He was a very nice guy with some fun stories, and other than that being how he introduced himself his garbage pile client didn't come up.

Anyway, what I'm saying is Pat Brisson probably spins quite the tale.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1356373669912698882

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
but were @NYRFan92360244's comments a factor?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"Just to make it clear, we stand for racism and bigotry."

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

xzzy posted:

Diabetes is like the #2 risk factor and being over 65 is #1, so let's go with "pretty risky."

Type 2 and type 1 diabetes are very different though?

CDC says type 2 is definitely increased risk, type 1 "might" be. Seems like some other data suggests that it does increase risk but for a pro athlete that monitors his disease carefully it seems like that might mitigate some stuff.

All said, yeah not great if he has it.

Some tweets from people who cover the team seem to indicate the Rangers told them this "doesn't mean he tested positive or he's out any set length of time" but can't really make any concrete assumptions there

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I understand that Toronto is a post racial city so maybe DeAngelo can turn his life around there

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

99% of the time when diabetes is given as a risk factor for a disease it's not diabetes in and of itself (as in insulin resistance, or lack of insulin), but the associated health issues.

Realistically, what they mean is high blood sugar, damaged organs and obesity are risk factors which can compound on itself because being sick makes it more difficult for diabetics to keep their blood sugar under control.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Duck Rodgers posted:

I understand that Toronto is a post racial city so maybe DeAngelo can turn his life around there

Deffo no racism in Toronto. None at all! Especially not among our elected officials.

Also, good thread title but based on the story I imagine Tony would be yelling "ALL LINES MATTER!" shortly before eating a fist sandwich.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/vzmercogliano/status/1356371490879512576?s=20

Id like the full story one day but seems like a lot of the scenarios being thrown around were bullshit.

Really doesnt matter- anyone with a brain knows Tony D was a loving moron but clearly NYR management thought he would keep it under wrap. Im glad they are 100% done with him but some damage control is in order.

They can start by 1. Stop dancing around the way his dangerous and vocal nonsense contributed to this and 2. Please get someone capable on that 3rd pairing cuz its loving dire

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 2, 2021

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

WeaponX posted:

https://twitter.com/vzmercogliano/status/1356371490879512576?s=20

Id like the full story one day but seems like a lot of the scenarios being thrown around were bullshit.

Really doesnt matter- anyone with a brain knows Tony D was a loving moron but clearly NYR management thought he would keep it under wrap. Im glad they are 100% done with him but some damage control is in order.

They can start by 1. Stop dancing around the way his dangerous and vocal nonsense contributed to this and 2. Please get someone capable on that 3rd pairing cuz its loving dire

just ride the top 4, they're good enough to deal with it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

San Jose is gonna trade for him so Couture and Tony D can feel persecuted together.

I'm sure he would get along stormingly with Kane.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Levitate posted:

just ride the top 4, they're good enough to deal with it.

Quinn has usually been a coach to play all three pairs, but this is the best option at this point. Unfortunately, it's also going to be rough in a condensed season.

I'm curious to see how Tony B plays, though.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Rangers should get rid of Quinn. Even if this wasn't strictly "his fault" it happened under his watch and he hasn't really had any other redeeming qualities as coach. Someone earlier alluded to "weird things" in the locker room, and although it was a while ago, the Lias Andersson saga definitely qualifies as that, especially considering his vague references to "issues" he had playing on the Rangers. It's also obviously very early but neither of their amazing, can't miss, lottery luck players have shown much improvement yet either, coupled with established guys like Trouba struggling the entire time Quinn has been here and I think it really points to a coach way out of his depth, with this DeAngelo stuff just being the cherry on top.
Now I may be saying all this because I hate his weird Boston accent, but I think any coach who has played Jack Johnson this much deserves the axe.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Re: Kaako's diabetes - Rangers management commented this offseason that they would let doctors decide if he could play, and doctors determined that Type I Diabetes was not an additional risk factor. I'm just repeating what I heard, and am not sure if medical knowledge has changed since then.

Makes sense. He took the first scratching poorly, likely knew another one was coming after his terrible game, and was mad at Georgiev for a misplay which both ruined his chance for OT redemption and made him look bad.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Zodijackylite posted:

Quinn has usually been a coach to play all three pairs, but this is the best option at this point. Unfortunately, it's also going to be rough in a condensed season.

I'm curious to see how Tony B plays, though.

Yeah I just dont think this team is good or deep enough to play that way- even tho the top 4 with Miller and Fox has made me much more optimistic, the bottom six of this offense is currently an average AHL team and putting it all on two d pairings to carry the load would prolly kill someone

Also just looking at his stat line Bitetto looks like a total pylon but this could be the classic over-performance game to make up for all the behind the scenes scuttlebutt so prolly gonna get a hatty tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

WeaponX posted:

Also just looking at his stat line Bitetto looks like a total pylon but this could be the classic over-performance game to make up for all the behind the scenes scuttlebutt so prolly gonna get a hatty tonight.
Never forget Stu Bickel and his 2 goal debut(?) against the Flyers.