Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aye Doc posted:

nobody has cap space really, so anyone who would want him likely needs to be sending back a salaried player to take on his deal

also the blue jackets gotta get in on this. dean kukan and riley nash gets it done, let's go jarmo

Boy, am I glad they shipped PLD out before all this poo poo went down and a return involving Tony D would have been plausible in exchange for getting clubbed by two-thirds of their former Top Line whenever we go back to the old divisions.

Thank gently caress they also have a lights out top pair that doesn't encourage them to trade for him, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

WeaponX posted:

Also just looking at his stat line Bitetto looks like a total pylon but this could be the classic over-performance game to make up for all the behind the scenes scuttlebutt so prolly gonna get a hatty tonight.

A literal traffic pylon would be better at staying in position than Jack Johnson, so your comparable gives me hope.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

bub spank posted:

https://twitter.com/TSNSimmer/status/1356335147235373061

By all means, let's let the coach who pushed to bring in Hainsey, Zaitsev, and Josh Brown decide whether Brannstrom can play defense.
I get the strong feeling that Dorion and co. aren't attached to him either. They're putting a bunch of prospects in limbo while getting slaughtered every game.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I'm starting to think the Dept of Player Safety is only getting one station this week. There wasn't a penalty called on this on the ice even? But head shots are totally fine this season.

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1356289899071209472?s=20

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1356378159550136321

Can't believe it's been 1 year since this happened.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Rangers are selling a cardboard cutout of Jack Johnson.

https://auctions.nhl.com/iSynApp/auctionDisplay.action?auctionId=3505516&pgmode1=profilepage

I was looking for the DeAngelo Black History Night jersey but it's not listed. :(

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Jhet posted:

I'm starting to think the Dept of Player Safety is only getting one station this week. There wasn't a penalty called on this on the ice even? But head shots are totally fine this season.

umm, you'll find the rule is you need to hit more than 50% of the head, so if you're not at least getting yourself a chunk of scalp, no dice, buddy

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 2, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fancy stats posted:

umm, you'll find the rule is need to hit more than 50% of the head, so if you're not at least getting yourself a chunk of scalp, no dice, buddy

That explains it. It is really hard to hit a person's head from both sides at the same time.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

So I guess after the initial Tony d rumors have cleared up it's resulted in the true best case scenario: Tony d remains embarrassed and out of a job and, since he apparently did not punch Tony d in the face after all, I can continue hating Chris kreider guilt free

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
https://theathletic.com/2360200/2021/02/01/marco-rossi-wild-covid-19-serge-payer

Michael Russo of The Athletic posted:

The Wild, Rossi and Payer are not yet comfortable sharing the exact medical diagnosis because they’re still waiting for a complete medical report and there remain some differing opinions. The diagnosis was reached after Rossi underwent a cardiac screening and bloodwork that must be performed on any NHL player who has tested positive for the virus.

Rossi was diagnosed with the virus in November and had mild symptoms, the most recognizable being lower back pain, Payer said.
Wild sources have told The Athletic that doctors are confident that Rossi’s medical situation isn’t career-threatening and that he’ll make a full recovery.

Payer, too, is hopeful that Rossi will make a full recovery because of some of the recent test results.

“But I don’t know how much more needs to be tested from a medical standpoint, to be honest with you,” Payer said. “I think (long-term COVID-19 issues) are a little bit of eye-opening for everybody, right? This COVID thing is new even for a lot of medical professionals, and I think the Wild medical staff have been superb in taking things diligently and being open-minded and keeping the player’s health a priority, which I know they always do.

“But we’re grateful that this was caught before Marco stepped on the ice because this needed to be caught.”

It’s still unclear if Rossi’s team in Switzerland or Team Austria could have caught Rossi’s COVID-19 long-haul condition or how he was cleared to take part in the World Junior Championships. The Athletic hasn’t been able to confirm if both entities perform the same cardiac screenings the NHL mandates.

So he's got some sort of Covid long haul issues and he still played in the World Juniors. Lets hope everything is okay. They're dancing around it but it almost feels like it has to be something related to Myocarditis.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 2, 2021

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Lower back pain could also involve the kidneys.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Duck Rodgers posted:

I understand that Toronto is a post racial city so maybe DeAngelo can turn his life around there

Maybe Wayne Simmonds could beat him up in the tunnel?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ICdave/status/1356421788222320653

What are you doing, Hellebuyck?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Still kinda worried the Penguins are gonna take DeAngelo on if the Rangers eat enough money to fit into their 85 cents of cap space.

Also still reeling from the Jim Rutherford era ending with Rutherford resigning over ownership not letting him dump Kris Letang (who of course got injured one (1) day later).

The Penguins are the most entertaining team in the league by far. No lead is safe. If they're down 4 goals or up 4 goals, you can't turn that dial!

Most likely sooner or later they're going to go through one of those stretches every team periodically has where you're still generating chances but you somehow score only 2 goals in 6 games, and when that happens Sullivan will be gone.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 2, 2021

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/1356378159550136321

Can't believe it's been 1 year since this happened.

Cam Talbot throwing a body shot to a goalie in full pads and immediately getting his rear end kicked still remains as hilarious one year later

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Still kinda worried the Penguins are gonna take DeAngelo on if the Rangers eat enough money to fit into their 85 cents of cap space.

Also still reeling from the Jim Rutherford era ending with Rutherford resigning over ownership not letting him dump Kris Letang (who of course got injured one (1) day later).

The Penguins are the most entertaining team in the league by far. No lead is safe. If they're down 4 goals or up 4 goals, you can't turn that dial!

Most likely sooner or later they're going to go through one of those stretches every team periodically has where you're still generating chances but you somehow score only 2 goals in 6 games, and when that happens Sullivan will be gone.

I sometimes find myself reflecting on how lucky I am that I got to see this end of Lemieux through Crosby era. Easily one of the most entertaining and sometimes frustrating stretches in professional sports. Young Sid just destroying people on those awful Therrien teams, willing Dupuis into a 50 point player and the corpse of Chris Kunitz on to team Canada.
Malkin's stretches of Mario-esque physical dominance. The first cup run destruction of the Hurricanes.
I have never seen a team dominate like that back to back 2016 and 2017 team.

This is definitely the wind down but there's still enough magic in that old hat to keep it entertaining.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Rangers had their struggles tonight but Miller is a beast and Tony is gone. I'm happy.

E: also Adam Fox is a goddamn bonafide stud.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Hey Tony,

https://mobile.twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/1171467051237400578

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Rangers had their struggles tonight but Miller is a beast and Tony is gone. I'm happy.

E: also Adam Fox is a goddamn bonafide stud.

I was definitely poo poo-talking the hell out of the Rangers for having no defense in the off-season but I will eat my crow for their rookies/young guys showing up to fuckin' play this year

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I sometimes find myself reflecting on how lucky I am that I got to see this end of Lemieux through Crosby era. Easily one of the most entertaining and sometimes frustrating stretches in professional sports. Young Sid just destroying people on those awful Therrien teams, willing Dupuis into a 50 point player and the corpse of Chris Kunitz on to team Canada.
Malkin's stretches of Mario-esque physical dominance. The first cup run destruction of the Hurricanes.
I have never seen a team dominate like that back to back 2016 and 2017 team.

This is definitely the wind down but there's still enough magic in that old hat to keep it entertaining.

Right there with you, brother.

Crosby is finally declining (he's been actually losing occasional puck battles and getting stripped of the puck by defensemen, which loving never happened for like 15 years) but it's Malkin that makes me really sad. I don't know if it's the piling up of injuries or whatever but he's mostly in full Controller Disconnected mode on defense, just kind of drifting around and reaching out to poke at the puck when it happens to come close. Just sucks to watch.

But by drat they're still a threat to score in 0.8 seconds anytime they have the puck. And their opponents are also always a threat to score in 0.8 seconds!

Wouldn't trade anything for the back-to-back Cups (especially the utterly dominant 2016 team after Johnston was fired) and the most awesome Finals ever played in 2009. No regrets, except Mike Johnston. Everyone regrets Mike Johnston.

e: OK, I also kinda regret that the one year the Sharks finally broke through to the Finals they ran into that 2016 Penguins buzzsaw. Would have been cool and good to see them get a Cup.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 2, 2021

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I was definitely poo poo-talking the hell out of the Rangers for having no defense in the off-season but I will eat my crow for their rookies/young guys showing up to fuckin' play this year

The defense is still a complete mess but Key and Fox are definitely making it a bit easier. Trouba is even playing well.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Leafs already have Morgan Rielly to pile up points on the back of a good forward corps, not play anything resembling defence, and tell people to :airquote: rag it :airquote: they don’t need the hyperspeed bath salts version of him on the team tyvm

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Caps had to poo poo the bed sooner or later. No shame in loosing to the Bruins, they’re legit. Caps are definitely playoff contenders but Ive felt like they’re not as good as their record shows them to be.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Vancouver's team defense is a loving nightmare

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Malkin looked totally cooked, and it’s not the first time watching them this year that I’ve thought so. He’s what, class of 04? That’s 34 or 35. Guys get old young in this league these days.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Otis Reddit posted:

Malkin looked totally cooked, and it’s not the first time watching them this year that I’ve thought so. He’s what, class of 04? That’s 34 or 35. Guys get old young in this league these days.

Jumbo Joe says "What?"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah guys of Malkin's insane skill level are often still good players when they're near 40. He's just had a million injuries over the years.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Malkin was great last year, I doubt it's just a massive sudden permanent decline into nothingness

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

There was an article that said he could only do body weight conditioning with COVID shutting down his usual gyms over the the break so I could see it being just as likely that he's not really in game shape just yet too.
He's a big natural moose but not a physical freak like Ovie or gym rat like Jagr.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I’m surprised a guy with that kind of money doesn’t have an absurdly cool home gym.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

I’m surprised a guy with that kind of money doesn’t have an absurdly cool home gym.

Not everyone likes to take their work home with them. And even then you’d need a lot of space and equipment to build out like some of these insane hockey gyms.

Also, that picture of Jumbo Joe looks like a dude you could get a contact high from hanging around. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him with so little emotion on his face.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, he has the whole cathedral.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
How the Canucks feel after playing Montreal and Ottawa for 7 of their past 8 games

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I am 100% expecting Montreal to inexplicably get swept in their season series against Ottawa just like did against Detroit last year.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Montreal and Toronto are going to duke it out in a bloodbath in the playoffs only for Boston or Vegas to expose them as frauds in the semifinals.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/ArielCreate/status/1356345350567714817

This guy lives in Jersey.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

This guy posted on Reddit about this. These are Chara's sticks and just as big as you think they are

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLhistorygirl/status/1356589268592918531

happy birthday to my favorite absurdly flexible tiny russian goalie

I remember he was the Goalie Coach and had to dress as backup for the Sabres a few years ago when their starter got hurt (Neuvirth hurt himself. Shocking, I know.) and their AHL starter I think was in town but couldn't get out of his house because a blizzard hit. I wanted so fuckin' badly to see him go in.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Irbe would kick your rear end for calling him Russian. He's Latvian and actively fought the Soviet occupation there after the country declared independence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Like, with a gun?