Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The old mini has USB but no thunderbolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The old mini has USB but no thunderbolt

you don't need thunderbolt to encrypt your drive with filevault?

e: my original post said something about thunderbolt but i just meant you COULD use that to zero it out, but the better way doesn't need any cables, you just encrypt the drive from the mac mini itself, then wipe it

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: Apple finally releases Big Sur 11.2 with Bluetooth fixes :siren:

Like anyone cares, Apple released macOS Big Sur 11.2, Security Update 2021-001 for Catalina, and Security Update 2021-001 for Mojave.

All are immediately available, on M1s it's supposed to fix Bluetooth issues, and fix problems M1 Minis were having with external monitors.

It looks like High Sierra is deader than a doornail, as there is no corresponding update for 10.13.6.

The last update on HS was 2020-006 back in November 2020.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

God I hope they fixed the AirPods connecting randomly stuff

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Last Chance posted:

you don't need thunderbolt to encrypt your drive with filevault?

e: my original post said something about thunderbolt but i just meant you COULD use that to zero it out, but the better way doesn't need any cables, you just encrypt the drive from the mac mini itself, then wipe it

Ah ok, sorry I thought you were suggesting thunderbolt since I had mentioned the old method using FireWire, so I misunderstood you thinking it was necessary. Thanks!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ah ok, sorry I thought you were suggesting thunderbolt since I had mentioned the old method using FireWire, so I misunderstood you thinking it was necessary. Thanks!

:thumbsup:

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Suddenly I'm getting Youtube ads in Safari and Adguard won't remove them. Is there any hope?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
1blocker, my friend.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
Any idea why network file sharing between my M1 MacBook and desktop Windows PC is insanely, unbelievably slow (7mbps read, 5mbps write from the Mac)? I've been troubleshooting this for the past couple hours and I'm out of ideas. I've found several Reddit/blog/forum posts going back years complaining about SMB and providing possible solutions (turn off SMB signing, turn off TCP ack, disable writing .DS_Store files, changing min/max SMB credits on the Windows machine, mount the drive with "Connect to server" not the Finder sidebar), but nothing has worked. No other machine in the house has speed issues with this PC, and it happens both over WiFi and ethernet.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

kefkafloyd posted:

1blocker, my friend.
It doesn’t look like it runs on Mojave :(

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Xabi posted:

It doesn’t look like it runs on Mojave :(

It used to, at least.

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

Fleedar posted:

Any idea why network file sharing between my M1 MacBook and desktop Windows PC is insanely, unbelievably slow (7mbps read, 5mbps write from the Mac)? I've been troubleshooting this for the past couple hours and I'm out of ideas. I've found several Reddit/blog/forum posts going back years complaining about SMB and providing possible solutions (turn off SMB signing, turn off TCP ack, disable writing .DS_Store files, changing min/max SMB credits on the Windows machine, mount the drive with "Connect to server" not the Finder sidebar), but nothing has worked. No other machine in the house has speed issues with this PC, and it happens both over WiFi and ethernet.

How are you mounting the share?

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

ihafarm posted:

How are you mounting the share?

“Connect to server” > smb://address in Finder.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can you get files from a Big Sur time machine drive on Catalina?

edit: you can just browse it, n/m

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 3, 2021

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

Fleedar posted:

“Connect to server” > smb://address in Finder.

Any difference if you specify ‘cifs://address’?

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

ihafarm posted:

Any difference if you specify ‘cifs://address’?

No difference at all :(

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
So I installed an update on my Mojave holdout iMac which apparently brought back the startup chime which is a welcome addition only for some reason it's the loudest loving thing I've ever heard. I heard it reboot from 3 rooms over.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

So I installed an update on my Mojave holdout iMac which apparently brought back the startup chime which is a welcome addition only for some reason it's the loudest loving thing I've ever heard. I heard it reboot from 3 rooms over.

That’s honestly the best thing. I wish it was even louder. I want people to know I’m using a Mac.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a shame so many Macs are laptops now because the startup chime going through those Harman Kardon stick speakers with a subwoofer was a thing of beauty

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Haha I use the startup sound as my alarm now, it's insanely loud.

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

Fleedar posted:

No difference at all :(

What about SMB transfers FROM the PC to the Mac? Is it an SMB issue only - have you tried scp or the like?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Maybe try dropping to Terminal on the Mac and entering this command:

code:

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

see if transfers seem any faster after setting this..

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Looks like all the Rogue Amoeba stuff is updated for M1, including SoundSource https://weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2021/01/29/get-faster-device-switching-and-enhanced-effects-with-soundsource-5-3/

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
And Ecamm put up a blog post today addressing Call Recorder for Skype being more or less EOLed: https://ecamm.com/blog/call-recorder-for-skype-update/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: Homebrew is now *officially* Apple Silicon native :siren:

https://brew.sh/2021/02/05/homebrew-3.0.0/

the Homebrew guys posted:

Apple Silicon is now officially supported for installations in /opt/homebrew.

formulae.brew.sh formula pages indicate for which platforms bottles (binary packages) are provided and therefore whether they are supported by Homebrew.

Homebrew doesn’t (yet) provide bottles for all packages on Apple Silicon that we do on Intel x86_64 but we welcome your help in doing so.

Rosetta 2 on Apple Silicon still provides support for Intel x86_64 in /usr/local.

It'll be interesting to see how fast the science forks update..

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've been using Mac laptops for 15 years now, and that was always my primary computer, and where my iTunes library lived. I'm getting rid of my old MacBook Pro and will be without a Mac for a few months, and I'd like to move my music library back to my Windows desktop. I take it that this is quite tricky now because the library format that Music.app uses isn't going to load in iTunes.

I have access to iTunes Match so the metadata part should be downloadable from :yaycloud:. Can I just link iTunes up with my cloud library and then drag the audio files into the correct folder structure? Some of the versions that iTunes Match offers up are not the same as the ones I originally ripped and I'm concerned if I just let files download again that it could be years before I realise that the library has the incorrect file in.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Can I just link iTunes up with my cloud library and then drag the audio files into the correct folder structure? Some of the versions that iTunes Match offers up are not the same as the ones I originally ripped and I'm concerned if I just let files download again that it could be years before I realise that the library has the incorrect file in.

You are correct to be concerned about Match doing weird stuff with different versions of the songs. This has definitely happened to me.

However, if you run iTunes for Windows, link it up with Match, etc then you will be setting up a "new" local iTunes Library on that Windows machine that won't have any idea that you have local files anywhere, so dropping them into the media folder won't help. iTunes won't see them there.

You could theoretically redownload all of the matched tracks in your library on Windows, and replace THOSE with the files you've backed up. I've done this selectively for a few items, but this process can confuse iTunes greatly, and while I don't remember the specifics, it hosed up something on my end (album art maybe? or some other sync issue arose). Granted this was a few years ago.

My recommendation would be to back up your old Mac's Music.app library files (the binary and XML databases or whatever) along with the music itself and just grin and bear iTunes on Windows without attempting to get all of your music downloaded locally for a few months if possible, and then when you're on a Mac again, just restore the db and music there.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
One trick with forcing a re-match if it was wrong originally: on a second device with itunes/music (not your original library with the real copy), delete it to remove it from the cloud. Then on your original machine click the broken cloud icon to re-add it to your cloud library.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah it turns out if you just link a fresh iTunes instance with a matched library it doesn't even bother looking for files, if you download the files it then expects everything to be M4A files. It's a 40GB library that I've been dragging around for the best part of 20 years, so I didn't fancy playing every song and relinking it to the MP3 files on disk.

Helpfully the old iTunes library file from late 2019 was stored alongside the Music.app one, so I copied this over to Windows, then turned Match on and it added the ~20 or so albums I've added since then, and it wasn't too tricky to download the M4A matched versions, delete them, dump the MP3 files in and relink. Would have hated to do it for the whole library though.

I'm nervous that Apple want everybody subscribing to music but I'll try and get a few more years out of iTunes with a local library + Match.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I got a big fuckoff 32" monitor yesterday, and it's great but obviously it needs some serious GUI changes compared to the 13" screen on this MacBook when it's undocked. Larger UI fonts for starters. Is there an easy way to make these adjustments automatically rather than manually zooming everything in/out as I switch displays?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

I got a big fuckoff 32" monitor yesterday, and it's great but obviously it needs some serious GUI changes compared to the 13" screen on this MacBook when it's undocked. Larger UI fonts for starters. Is there an easy way to make these adjustments automatically rather than manually zooming everything in/out as I switch displays?

System Preferences -> Displays -> Scaled has some nice options per-display that will just scale UI elements without actually changing the internal resolution of the screen.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Oh, that's excellent. Thank you!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: Apple finally patches the sudo bug :siren:

Apple released Big Sur 11.2.1 which updates the sudo bug, and fixes battery charging on some 2016/2017 MacBook Pro models.

Apple also released macOS Catalina Supplemental Update 10.15.7 and Security Update 2021-002 for Mojave which also fix the sudo bug on those macOSes.

Gee, only took like, what, six or seven years to fix??!!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 9, 2021

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: Apple finally patches the sudo bug :siren:

Apple released Big Sur 11.2.1 which updates the sudo bug, and fixes battery charging on some 2016/2017 MacBook Pro models.

Apple also released macOS Catalina Supplemental Update 10.15.7 and Security Update 2021-002 for Mojave which also fix the sudo bug on those macOSes.

Gee, only took like, what, six or seven years to fix??!!

To fix the sudo exploit? That was disclosed to the sudo open source project about 4 weeks ago and to the public 2 weeks ago, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

(Maybe you saw one of the things mentioning that the flaw's been around a long time? They did figure out it's a bug that's been "hiding in plain sight" for years, but nobody's been knowingly sitting on this one.)

e: except maybe :nsa: of course

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, well, supposedly since 2009..

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/02/serious-flaw-that-lurked-in-sudo-for-9-years-finally-gets-a-patch/

And a guy from Apple's infosec reported it, nonetheless.. the article's a little murky about which macOS got the patch before..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 9, 2021

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I used to be a little annoyed by Binar Badger's weirdly adversarial patch notes, but I've learned to accept them. There's no bug or minor irritant fixed quickly enough and it's kind of hilarious

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Binary Badger posted:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/02/serious-flaw-that-lurked-in-sudo-for-9-years-finally-gets-a-patch/

And a guy from Apple's infosec reported it, nonetheless.. the article's a little murky about which macOS got the patch before..

Based on that article and sudo -l results, my 11.2 system is not vulnerable?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Last Chance posted:

I used to be a little annoyed by Binar Badger's weirdly adversarial patch notes, but I've learned to accept them. There's no bug or minor irritant fixed quickly enough and it's kind of hilarious

Apple still has their work cut out for them from all the complaints I see about ultrawide monitors and Big Sur.. you've got perfectly good monitors that worked great towards the end of Catalina but now no longer work at their previous resolutions in Big Sur.. and these issues didn't exist with 11.0.1, but stick out like a sore thumb with 11.1 and 11.2.

Upgrading your OS shouldn't obviate current WORKING peripherals..

Edit: its not so much that they stopped working altogether, but some people are finding that their monitors won't work at the full 4K / 1080p and/or 60Hz they enjoyed before, now pared down to a max of 30 Hz and resolutions all over the place.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 9, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
It's ridiculous that they still don't support MST for multiple displays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

That's an older one from early 2020. The sudo bug fixed in the macOS 11.2.1 drop is CVE-2021-3156, aka "Baron Samedit" (lol), and was found by some security outfit named Qualys. It too is an old bug that's been lurking around a while before discovery.