Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Puppy Burner posted:

The author fleeing Jamaica because its an extremely violent, homophobic shithole might have informed his perspective on his home country, that he was run out of for being a gay after having undergone gay conversion therapy in his church. Possibly his use of exaggeration could be to illustrate the knock-on effects of neo-colonialism, from the US for example, and unrelenting poverty have on a culture. I'm sure you can figure out why the "white Americans" (read: CIA) are equally as violent and stupid as the slum gangsters and what the author might be saying with this comparison. Marlon James is one of the more interesting contemporary authors, imo, please put more effort into thinking about his work than you would a Marvel movie.

i just did you loving dumbass why the hell did you think i posted it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Away episode 5: they have the Chinese lady track the nuts and bolts of a machine they're reassembling because "she's good at organizing" and then later she helps reassemble it because "she's good at puzzles"

What the gently caress

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

to give a more substantive criticism of your dismissive shitpost I do not think repeated use of the word fag makes a book any more insightful than a typical episode of south park just because the author has a sad backstory

if anything i found it dismissive to act like with all this other obviously more immediately important stuff going on all anyone can think about is how much they hate fags it gets tiresome after a certain point and for all im hearing about this great prose in practice all its doing is making me notice that save for the occasional gimmick and different slang variations on fag all the characters have the same narrative voice

if you have a better defense of the books themes then that it paints a wide variety of assholes as homophobes id be happy to hear it i mean that sincerely i wouldnt have posted my opinion if i didnt want to discuss the book

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

to give a more substantive criticism of your dismissive shitpost I do not think repeated use of the word fag makes a book any more insightful than a typical episode of south park just because the author has a sad backstory

if anything i found it dismissive to act like with all this other obviously more immediately important stuff going on all anyone can think about is how much they hate fags it gets tiresome after a certain point and for all im hearing about this great prose in practice all its doing is making me notice that save for the occasional gimmick and different slang variations on fag all the characters have the same narrative voice

if you have a better defense of the books themes then that it paints a wide variety of assholes as homophobes id be happy to hear it i mean that sincerely i wouldnt have posted my opinion if i didnt want to discuss the book

I haven't re-read it within the last like decade but, the novel is not just the plot about the failed assassination of bob, it is also a commentary on the macro- and micro- level cycles of violence and exploitation that have lead to the authors own alienation and evacuation from his home country. it is meant to be degrading, insulting, and cruel because that's the climate he grew up in and what lead him to saying his only options were a coffin or a plane ticket out. the novel isn't going for verisimilitude, it is trying (and succeeding) to offend and alienate you because it is a world of violence, poverty, and hatred. personally, i find this aspect of his work very relatable as a fellow impoverished human being who grew up in an environment that saw several friends and myself subject to homophobic violence. that bob doesn't engage in it is an intentional departure from reality to elevate his status as a prophetic figure within the narrative and a hope for jamaica's future.

Some Guy TT posted:

I do not think repeated use of the word fag makes a book any more insightful than a typical episode of south park just because the author has a sad backstory

the author is a real human being from one of the poorest and most violent cities on earth, his life isn't just a sad backstory - it deeply informs his work. have some compassion for other people's lives and engage with the novel in good faith

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Away episode 5: they have the Chinese lady track the nuts and bolts of a machine they're reassembling because "she's good at organizing" and then later she helps reassemble it because "she's good at puzzles"

What the gently caress

:biotruths:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I mean if she’s good at puzzles she’s got to be good at organizing. seems like consistent characterization

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Will he drop the People's Elbow on her?

Kamala would send in khive to fight royal rumble style as she prances around the ring, and if he wins, The Rock is allowed access to kneel and earn the opportunity to propose to Slay Kween this hurts to write and is probably even worse to read

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Quarantine restrictions got eased here in Canada so I went to visit my parents. We watched Sorry To Bother You last night, which ruled.

Right after my mom wanted to watch SNL which she said has got her through the last 4 years. The whiplash going from such a smart movie to braindead sketches was incredible. They had a sketch about "Blue Georgia" that was just miserable, and another that centered around Ratatouille, the kids movie from like 6 years ago. I know SNL hasn't been good for a long time but it really surprised me how completely out of touch it felt.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/andrewchen/status/1151496486028488705

maybe im reading this wrong maybe when american kids say they want to be vloggers what they really mean is that they want to be gay

the only reason American kids picked youtubers first is because "cucks" wasn't an option

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Blisster posted:

Quarantine restrictions got eased here in Canada so I went to visit my parents. We watched Sorry To Bother You last night, which ruled.

Right after my mom wanted to watch SNL which she said has got her through the last 4 years. The whiplash going from such a smart movie to braindead sketches was incredible. They had a sketch about "Blue Georgia" that was just miserable, and another that centered around Ratatouille, the kids movie from like 6 years ago. I know SNL hasn't been good for a long time but it really surprised me how completely out of touch it felt.

is it out of touch or are we? it still gets very good ratings for a non-sports tv show

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Remember that Daily Show bit about Dick Cheney having a Stargate Sarcophagus that plays "Let the Eagles Soar" sung by John Ashcroft?

That's what Saturday Night Life is for liberals.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

Some Guy TT posted:

maybe im reading this wrong maybe when american kids say they want to be vloggers what they really mean is that they want to be gay

america: was I a good hegemony?

death: no. lmao no.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

indigi posted:

is it out of touch or are we? it still gets very good ratings for a non-sports tv show

SNL is a weird animal where a ton of people watch it pretty faithfully, but I think you’d have a hard time finding any of them who’d tell you it’s reliably “good” or “funny”.

I think its primary audience at this point is self-loathing millennial hate-watchers, cat ladies, and teens/preteens.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

General Dog posted:

SNL is a weird animal where a ton of people watch it pretty faithfully, but I think you’d have a hard time finding any of them who’d tell you it’s reliably “good” or “funny”.

I think its primary audience at this point is self-loathing millennial hate-watchers, cat ladies, and teens/preteens.

Liberals. See also: sheet cake, Tina Fey

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKlBTmylvqY

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I have never in my life heard another adult say, in a general sense, “SNL is funny.” No one has ever said or even thought that the SNL of that present day is funny, only that it was funny at some indefinite point in the past.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

General Dog posted:

I have never in my life heard another adult say, in a general sense, “SNL is funny.” No one has ever said or even thought that the SNL of that present day is funny, only that it was funny at some indefinite point in the past.

People liked the David S. Pumpkins sketch.

...which was about five years ago.

Bill Hader was pretty funny when he was on SNL.

...which was almost ten years ago.

I think.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

jizz in my pants was pretty funny imho

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Colin Quinn was the best Weekend Update host in retrospect but I hated him at the time. Just bombing on every other joke, looking at the audience and going, "Nothing, folks? Alright..."

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

jizz in my pants was pretty funny imho

andy samberg has made some good poo poo and I am prepared for the struggle session I deserve

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Maybe I am the out of touch one but I just can't imagine anyone caring about a ratatouille joke in 2021.

The joke is that he learned how to sex good.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

my favorite Andy Samberg thing is the song where he sings
“we’re three cool white friends in Japan
the fact that we’re white isn’t why we’re friends
but we are white and we’re friends”

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

tumblr teen poo poo. stfu.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Will he drop the People's Elbow on her?
The Rock will take that 2000 dollar cheque, shine it up real nice, and stick it RIGHT UP YOUR ROODY-POO CANDY rear end! :raise:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

frankenfreak posted:

The Rock will take that 2000 dollar cheque, shine it up real nice, and stick it RIGHT UP YOUR ROODY-POO CANDY rear end! :raise:

How did roody-poo start and were you aware it was how 4chan said the indefensible N-word?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Tubgoat posted:

How did roody-poo start and were you aware it was how 4chan said the indefensible N-word?
4chan was founded years after this was one of The Rock's catchphrases.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Puppy Burner posted:

I haven't re-read it within the last like decade but, the novel is not just the plot about the failed assassination of bob, it is also a commentary on the macro- and micro- level cycles of violence and exploitation that have lead to the authors own alienation and evacuation from his home country.

it actually took me awhile to realize that not bob marley was important and something i was supposed to be paying attention to as opposed to just relevant backstory because he didnt seem important to anything immediately happening its only by the end of part one that i realized the book was building up to something regarding the concert

i got annoyed figuring this out because not bob marley being unimportant or important in nonintuitive ways was one of the more interesting flourishes defying stereotypical expectations of jamaica and then inpart two the violence starts to devolve to borderline self parody opening up with one character expressing a reasonable fear of rape and then rapidly becoming more hysterical on a scene by scene basis

what really got me to take umbrage at the whole fag thing was the scene where the sensible cia agent argues with loose cannon cia agent over his being a loose cannon and i realized that aside from the fag thing this dudes basically the voice of reason guy in your typical espionage thriller and the rolling stones reporter has the same issue theyre not wrong theyre just assholes but theyre still nicer assholes than any of the other perspective characters

quote:

it is meant to be degrading, insulting, and cruel because that's the climate he grew up in and what lead him to saying his only options were a coffin or a plane ticket out. the novel isn't going for verisimilitude, it is trying (and succeeding) to offend and alienate you because it is a world of violence, poverty, and hatred. personally, i find this aspect of his work very relatable as a fellow impoverished human being who grew up in an environment that saw several friends and myself subject to homophobic violence. that bob doesn't engage in it is an intentional departure from reality to elevate his status as a prophetic figure within the narrative and a hope for jamaica's future.

i get that but at the same time this isnt that far off from what the white characters in the book believe their modern day equivalents absolutely do believe this though which is why i thought it was a bit jarring how homophobic language was being used to signal them as wrong more than their beliefs or actions

quote:

the author is a real human being from one of the poorest and most violent cities on earth, his life isn't just a sad backstory - it deeply informs his work. have some compassion for other people's lives and engage with the novel in good faith

thank you for responding sincerely sorry for being a bit of a dick up page im still reading it and wanted an alternate perspective before beginning the eighties section my comments are not always as derogatory as they may seem it just comes with my posting style

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

frankenfreak posted:

4chan was founded years after this was one of The Rock's catchphrases.

Ah, thanks. I never followed The Rock when he was a wrestler.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/APEntertainment/status/1356001058246418434

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's very funny that the same Eric Cartman who was falsely accused of hate crimes at least twice (because of political correctness gone mad) also canonically idolises Hitler and is excited by the concept of race war.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

The space program is boring and underfunded

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I was kind of pissy about switching captains in season 2 of B5 but I have grown to love this fucker

https://i.imgur.com/KaXchTh.mp4

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

wow i cant believe all these children want jobs that are presented to them as just having fun all day instead of being astronauts which are also jobs that they think are just having fun all day

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the chinese children dont know the horrible truth that when youre an astronaut the authoritarian chinese government doesnt let you have gay sex

not like american astronauts who are just having gay sex all the time its like the satyricon up there

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
https://twitter.com/moby_dickhead/status/1356347686497218561?s=20

what happened to letting people enjoy things?

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
imo SNL stays relevant despite being horrifically milquetoast because at this point it’s an institution. so many people in entertainment, politics and the news media have either been on the show, parodied by it or know folks involved with it personally. hell, Trump livewatched it multiple times making it one of his few non-fake news interests. latest episode was completely bland which is kind of what you expect from John “literally in the CIA” Krasinski but that being said the Twins sketch made me laugh. it’s a good illustration of the way absurdist humor can be performed successfully while purely referential humor (what if Ratatouille but sex) is usually a bust. also their scatalogical stuff was better in the 90’s and 2000’s with the uncontrolled vomiting sketches

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

General Dog posted:

I remember my brother frantically booting up his computer to show me an uncensored Dick In A Box. when was that? 15 years ago?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

lol that reminds me of this one guy's student film I watched in college that was just a shot by shot remake of the ghost episode from Paranoia Agent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom/status/1356510930784448512

Ruthkanda forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

marilyn manson is in trouble now and it made me remember some weird interview with him ages ago where he really wanted the interviewer to know that he and his gf were having a ton of sex and i remember thinking that was a super weird thing for someone to push even for him and welp i guess he really was an abuser