Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Junkie Disease posted:

Who was Supergirl 1980s made for?

The salkinds, and no one else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

I did last year and I will give you one counterpoint.

Makes me want to rewatch Love and Die in LA

Absolutely underrated movie. The main guy that later wasted years on CSI had crazy physicality in that movie.

And prob the dopest music connection ever with Wang Chung's cover.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
To Live and Die in LA is great. The guy from CSI was also the first person ever to play Will Graham in Michael Mann’s Manhunter. The dude had a good 80’s.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

nate fisher posted:

To Live and Die in LA is great. The guy from CSI was also the first person ever to play Will Graham in Michael Mann’s Manhunter. The dude had a good 80’s.

Those are both great movies and make for a perfect double feature. I could spend all day talking about how amazing and perfect Manhunter is.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

"The little things" is a worthless terrible movie about a bunch of loving idiots chasing a loving idiot

I didn't heed this warning and watched "The Little Things"

Do not make this mistake.

What an utterly pointless movie that made me feel next to nothing after the first 5 minutes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't recommend The Little Things but I didn't outright hate it either. 90% of it is Washington and Malek doing their thing and I can't help but be somewhat entertained by that, plus Leto's tired schtick is actually well suited for this particular role.

That said, everything people are saying about it being derivative as hell is correct. And for a movie that's trying to ape Fincher it doesn't really come close to his visual excellence. It's a pretty bland looking movie outside of a handful of shots.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I read something that said the story was written 30 years ago, and if it’d come out then I think it would’ve been received better. Unfortunately much better movies have been made since then and it just doesn’t compare.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's not super new but I finally got around to checking out Star Trek: Lower Decks, and holy poo poo is this funny. Tawny Newsome, Jack Quaid and Eugene Cordero in a show that's pretty much a fusion of Futurama and Star Trek. I'm really digging it.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I binged Halt and Catch Fire over the last week or so and I can’t stop thinking about it. It was one of those shows that started off strong and just got better as it went. By the end I felt like I’d spent years with those characters, and didn’t want to say goodbye.

Unrelated, but I finally got on some depression meds and it’s nice to be able to feel things about shows and movies again.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Action Movie Streaming February 2021
Netflix - Below Zero
Hulu - Ninja Assassin, The Tax Collector
Tubi - Transporter 3, Haywire
HBO - The Road Warrior, The Matrix 1-3, Kill Bill
Prime - True Lies, Blade of the Immortal, Martial Law 1-2
Hoopla - Mortal Kombat 1-2, xXx 1-2, The One

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

Does Matchstick Men hold up? I really loved that as a kid and always think of that as one of my favorite Cage performances.
I watched it recently, and it's definitely one of those that would go belly up with anyone other than Cage. The entire film is just "hey this guy has OCD!"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

AngryBooch posted:

I didn't heed this warning and watched "The Little Things"

Do not make this mistake.

What an utterly pointless movie that made me feel next to nothing after the first 5 minutes.

Yeah. After it was finished, I sat there for a moment and wondered what the hell was that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Some good or at least notable poo poo went up today on HBO Max:

Justice League animated series, including JL Unlimited.
Batman '89 and the 3 sequels.
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Blade Runner
Ghoulies 1&2
Man of Steel
The Matrix Trilogy
A bunch of Saw movies.
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

And my personal, "What, really?" Head of the Class, the late 80's Howard Hesseman sitcom.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 1, 2021

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Anyone watched The Lady and The Dale on HBO Max? The first two episodes dropped last night and I'm hoping to watch them sometime in the next couple days. I saw the Elizabeth Carmichael case on Unsolved Mysteries decades ago and even as a middle schooler I thought it was bonkers, so I'm excited to see it get a fuller treatment.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Watched "Palmer" with Justin Timberlake last night. Really good movie that reinforces the fact that JT is good at everything he does.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Mummy and The Mummy Returns are now on HBO Max, two movies I love. Enjoy Brendan Fraser in his prime if you haven't already.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

teagone posted:

The Mummy and The Mummy Returns are now on HBO Max, two movies I love. Enjoy Brendan Fraser in his prime if you haven't already.

If you want more Fraser and have HBO Max then Doom Patrol is a pro watch. He's fantastic in it and the rest of the show is also really good.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got bored and watched the opening five minutes of Edison Force again on Prime. A bummer about the rest of that movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watching season 2 of Alone and i hope every season has a supposedly pro survivalist guy who immediately loses their ferro rod
Also lmao i was reaching the end of ep 2 feeling exhausted with all of Mary Kate's empty platitudes and lameass white people quirks and she loving cuts her hand open with her axe while babbling

Anyway the best part of the show are the cops/vets who assume they have some kind of edge but are always the first ones to eat poo poo/run away

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Justice League animated series, including JL Unlimited.

This might tip me over the edge to subscribing. JL season 1 and 2 were pretty good, but JL Unlimited did poo poo I never on earth thought they'd try.

Jose Oquendo posted:

And my personal, "What, really?" Head of the Class, the late 80's Howard Hesseman sitcom.

They're probably trying to get ahead of Dan Schneider's inevitable arraignment.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

GD_American posted:

This might tip me over the edge to subscribing. JL season 1 and 2 were pretty good, but JL Unlimited did poo poo I never on earth thought they'd try.

They're probably trying to get ahead of Dan Schneider's inevitable arraignment.

I get HBO Max for free, but I would pay for it if I had to. I think the content on it is really worth it. You have a ton of amazing HBO shows, like some of the best TV shows ever made. There's the DC stuff if that's your jam, Adult Swim, other WB owned properties, and the TCM/Criterion stuff makes it all a good value.

I had to look up Dan Schneider and :stare:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Watching season 2 of Alone and i hope every season has a supposedly pro survivalist guy who immediately loses their ferro rod
Also lmao i was reaching the end of ep 2 feeling exhausted with all of Mary Kate's empty platitudes and lameass white people quirks and she loving cuts her hand open with her axe while babbling

Anyway the best part of the show are the cops/vets who assume they have some kind of edge but are always the first ones to eat poo poo/run away

The season I watched had some dude that seemed like a major contender and he rolled down a hill 10 minutes into the first episode and twisted his ankle and had to quit lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I get HBO Max for free, but I would pay for it if I had to. I think the content on it is really worth it. You have a ton of amazing HBO shows, like some of the best TV shows ever made. There's the DC stuff if that's your jam, Adult Swim, other WB owned properties, and the TCM/Criterion stuff makes it all a good value.

I had to look up Dan Schneider and :stare:

I get it for free too, but I think I'd just sub 2-3 months out of the year if I had to pay for it. They have some of the best stuff, but it's inconsistent and I'll go months where I almost never use it. Prime and Hulu are the only two services that justify having them year round imo. Possibly even just prime, but that's in part due to the other benefits.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, if you absolutely made me choose one streaming service to keep I'm pretty sure it would be HBOMax. its got a deep library of movie and tv and seems to keep adding stuff. I'm sure that will plateau at some point or they'll cycle things out or something but right now it seems like the best option.

mystes
May 31, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, if you absolutely made me choose one streaming service to keep I'm pretty sure it would be HBOMax. its got a deep library of movie and tv and seems to keep adding stuff. I'm sure that will plateau at some point or they'll cycle things out or something but right now it seems like the best option.
The real trick with streaming services is not to "keep" them.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think I'd go Criterion Channel. It and Prime most often have the poo poo id wanna watch.

mystes posted:

The real trick with streaming services is having other people pay for them

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mystes posted:

The real trick with streaming services is not to "keep" them.

Oh yeah. The ones I "keep" are ones I share with family. Otherwise i basically bounce from app to app based on what catches my attention or the season.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only ones I pay for is prime and netflix. I only keep netflix around because I share it with 4 family members who pay for other services. I'd ditch it in a second if it was just me.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I haven't started watching Alone yet, but I'm pretty sure I watch the ferro rod guy on youtube (Joe Robinet) He's actually a super nice and down to earth dude and actually is quite good at bushcraft and the like, great videos to fall asleep to. He mentioned it on a video and said he always keeps his ferro rod on a lanyard wrapped in high visibility tape after that unfortunate incident.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

tweet my meat posted:

I haven't started watching Alone yet, but I'm pretty sure I watch the ferro rod guy on youtube (Joe Robinet) He's actually a super nice and down to earth dude and actually is quite good at bushcraft and the like, great videos to fall asleep to. He mentioned it on a video and said he always keeps his ferro rod on a lanyard wrapped in high visibility tape after that unfortunate incident.
yeah it just becomes funnier that someone immediately loses their ferro in s2. Didn't learn from Joe's example.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Shutter Island is on Netflix, it's a rare Scorsese I haven't seen yet. Any good?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Shutter Island is on Netflix, it's a rare Scorsese I haven't seen yet. Any good?
I think it's a little dumb but maybe worth a watch?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Pretty good, not his best but very solid.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Thundercracker posted:

I think that's the crux. Keanu is VERY good at his strengths. Put him in a romcom like The Replacements and he's so bad the studios will memory hole certain scenes on dvd because their howlingly bad (e.g. his big romantic scene in that movie where he crosses a bar to kiss the romantic lead and entire way he's head nodding like a chicken to show attraction. Gone in the dvd release)

Isn't that kind of on the director?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Thanks, started season 2 because of this post. Do we need a thread for this, cuz I kinda want one. lol at the dude who boasted that if he saw a bear he'd walk out with a bear skin suit then immediately taps out THE FIRST DAY because he saw some bear poop.

4 eps in already, Tracy is a badass.

Edit: lol what no she tapped out as I was writing this post

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Jose Oquendo posted:

Some good or at least notable poo poo went up today on HBO Max:
[/b]Batman: The Brave and the Bold

There are a lot of iterations of Superhero nonsense out there, and Brave and the Bold went missed by a lot of people, but it's really good. It's much more in the vein of Adam West's Batman than virtually anything we've gotten with the character recently, and they just obviously have a ton of fun with the source material. Like, it has unambiguously the best Aquaman ever. Also a musical episode starring Neil Patrick Harris.

Anyway, for more good superhero poo poo that's a bit closer to usual, Batman Beyond is un-skippable if you like Batman. It absolutely nails the "Batman of the Future" conceit, making Gotham and Batman futuristic but still recognizable, and giving the new guy his own rogues gallery while sprinkling in the old villains. Will Friedle delivers a good I am Batman. If you don't want to commit to the entire series, just watch the first two episodes (which are the origin story) then skip to Return of the Joker, which is just plain one of the best Batman movies.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I recall it being pretty decent, but also changing the ending of the book.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I enjoyed it, felt more like Scorsese doing his impersonation of a Hitchcock film than actual Scorsese.

Though speaking of i saw HBO has After Hours of you want Scorsese doing a rare comedic film. It's one of my favorite, shlub gets dragged through a wild night in NY movies.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Finally convinced some friends to watch Gods of Egypt since it's free on Amazon Prime. I really think if this movie had just gone with entirely made up mythology instead of pissing all over Egyptian culture it would be beloved. What a dumb but awesome ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Worth a watch for sure.