Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hmmm apparently Fagan, the Crows chief executive, has just resigned. cmndstab, tell me whether that's a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Chairchucker posted:

Someone join me in here so I'm not talking to myself!

Sorry, was too busy being at the match

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I guess I'm consuming too much US news at the moment because I didn't know this was on :(

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

Hmmm apparently Fagan, the Crows chief executive, has just resigned. cmndstab, tell me whether that's a good thing.

I mean, probably? I find it difficult to discern precisely what each individual's role actually is at the admin level.

At the end of the day, he was the top dog throughout a period of time where things got so pear-shaped that we required a full club review that resulted in several sackings, so that has to reflect poorly on him. When he first came on board, he made a big point of saying he wanted to ensure the Crows had the best footy program in the country. That clearly has not been the case. If half the people you're managing have to be sacked for doing a poor job, it probably means you need to go as well.

On the other hand, he was there when we made our first grand final in two decades, kept the ship steady after Phil Walsh was murdered, and has also been in charge since the inception of our AFLW team which has had lots of success. So credit for all of that, too.

He had apparently always said he was intending to be there roughly seven years, which is exactly how long he's been there. Time to move on... but I hope they have someone else already lined up. Not sure how many people there are just sitting around waiting for that kind of job.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Jarryn Geary might have broken his leg at training this morning. loving hell. :smith:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

cmndstab posted:

but I hope they have someone else already lined up. Not sure how many people there are just sitting around waiting for that kind of job.

Judging from previous hires, you probably have a club full of them.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

monolithburger posted:

Jarryn Geary might have broken his leg at training this morning. loving hell. :smith:

Fractured the fibula apparently. Would have a plate put in and will be walking in a week or two so not the end of the world.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NPR Journalizard posted:

Judging from previous hires, you probably have a club full of them.

It's finally Brett Burton's time to shine!

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Nutsngum posted:

Fractured the fibula apparently. Would have a plate put in and will be walking in a week or two so not the end of the world.

Thank god, I was worried it might have been the end of him.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

monolithburger posted:

UP YOU FUCKEN SAINTERS

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
:swoon: Sarah Perkins :swoon: back playing quality footy again makes me happy :3:

Looks like she's lost a bunch of weight. Apparently cut 30 seconds off her 2km time trial too. Good on her!

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
West Coast aren't much chop, but Erin Phillips is still a very very good footballer :stare:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

monolithburger posted:

West Coast aren't much chop, but Erin Phillips is still a very very good footballer :stare:

She looks so much better than she did in her couple of games last year. Clearly she was nowhere near ready to return when she did!

Agreed that West Coast are a poor side, but good to see the Crows get the job done anyway.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

In under 7 weeks I could be watching the Dees at the MCG. Excited is an understatement.

Feels like the Aus Open is going to be a good test for crowds. They're allowing 30,000 a day - if it all goes well without any community transmission or over that period, surely we'd be set for at least 50% crowds come Round 1.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I hope the Crows continue to get healthy Erin (and, by extension, another premiership) this year. I don't care what happens in the men's comp, the CrowsM are bums.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I was in the office today opposite Kardina Park and heard the sirens for the game there, and also one of the lovely sirens at a nearby suburban ground (must've been a preseason practice game or something). I think hearing the footy sirens was the first time it's genuinely felt like we're close to the other side of the pandemic, it was a good feeling :unsmith:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
This is hardly an issue confined to the Pies but:

quote:

The Collingwood Football Club is guilty of systemic racism, according to an independent review commissioned by the club and which has been leaked today.

While reference was made to claims of racism across the AFL more generally, Collingwood's history with racism was described as "distinct and egregious", with the club's leadership, "particularly its board", needing to drive structural change.

It described a culture of "individuals, if not quite being bigger than the Club, then at least having an unhealthy degree of influence over Club culture".

From those interviewed for the review, there emerged a sense that "dealing with racism was something that could be done when other things had been taken care of".

The review recommended an audit of the Board to ensure the "personal views" of its members were "consistent with the values of the Club".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-01/collingwood-is-guilty-of-systemic-racism-review-finds/13055816

Click the link to read the full thing.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Good on them for doing a review, I guess. Hopefully they enact some changes as a result. As you say, this is hardly confined just to Collingwood.

The second round of the AFLW season is up in the air now with the case in WA. Both Crows and GWS are being asked by the SA government to quarantine for two weeks after returning from WA. Not clear whether the games will be able to go ahead as planned or not.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
This sure is a hell of a fuckin tone for Collingwood to take with this conference.

Zero contrition, all chest beating.

Doesn't give much confidence that they're going to do gently caress one about fixing it

"This is a historic and proud day"

"[the review] is not criticism, this is a review we asked to have"

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 1, 2021

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

And then they're letting McGuire implement the programme, what could go wrong.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I guess rather than saying "there was never any racism at Collingwood." And getting attacked for it, now they get to say "well, there WAS a racism problem at Colligwood, but we found out about it, (not when one of our black players complained mind, but when we were pressured into a review). But don't worry, Eddie 'king kong' Mcguire has fixed it" and get praised for it

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

quote:

The review recommended an audit of the Board to ensure the "personal views" of its members were "consistent with the values of the Club".

That's a clap and a loving half

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Being inside Eddies head must be a trip. Biggest club therefor we must be right! I'm the biggest CEO personality therefor I must be doing well!

Héritier's twitter response this evening hits just about every point. In addition though, 1 premiership from the biggest club after two plus decades at the helm and a legacy of racism, heaps to be proud of there ey McGuire. Indigenous players make up 10% of the comp, interesting that none are on their list...

Feel sorry for the supporters, what a joke.

masterpine fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 1, 2021

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Not discounting the systemic racism that the report brings to light. At all.

But a part that isn't getting enough scrutiny is the bit about certain individuals having undue influence over the culture of the club. I forget the exact wording.

This all falls on Eddie. Because I, as a Hawthorn supporter, am often embarrassed and ashamed of Jeff Kennett, moreso during the times he has been club president. But that is just Jeff. One man is not bigger than the club, nor did anyone ever ever see Jeff as the be all and end all of Hawthorn.

It is the opposite with Collingwood. Everything about Collingwood is about or goes through the lens of Eddie McGuire. In one of the biggest sporting clubs in the country, it all relies on one man. This could be because he is famous, and has a media background. But it doesn't happen with Koch to the same extent, and he is equally as high profile media related as Eddie.

Another Eddie-related problem, is the way that he has never admitted responsibility, or that anything is bad or wrong. Look at how he never made a proper apology to Caroline Wilson or Adam Goodes. Look at how when he broke team quarantine bubble rules to go to a nightclub with his son, how instead of saying "whoops, I guess it was a bad look for me to be doing that" he offered up a bullshit excuse that he was only doing it as a Victorian Tourism ambassador, (or something similar). And there's probably more I don't have on the tip of my tongue. It's indicative of the "I/We didn't do anything wrong! It's all somebody elses fault, and anyway, it's not that bad in the first place" attitude that Collingwood seems to use when dealing with any of it's scandals. (There was a drunk driving thing involving two players where Eddie denied the two players had done anything wrong at all and in fact weren't there, right up until the police report came out and they had confessed to the cops. I am an idiot so I don't remember the details.)

So yeah, gently caress Collingwood and all that, but gently caress Eddie McGuire harder.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

So yeah, gently caress Collingwood and all that, but gently caress Eddie McGuire harder.

Couldn't put it better, Eddie Everywhere has poisoned Collingwood and now he gets a year to whitewash his reputation although, being Eddie, he has no idea it's even necessary bar making sure there's pictures of him beaming from every wall and multiple things named after him. New recruits will no doubt be inducted into the Eddie McGuire Racial Harmony Program(tm).

Collingwood need to repudiate that guy publicly, as a club, and as supporters and vow that his brand of leadership is toxic.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I feel like Collingwood, Bucks and McGuire took a lot of the goodwill they got from how they approached the 2018 season, especially a lot of the moments during the grand final itself ( Bucks consoling banner lady and his little chat with his distraught son in the changing room after, plus Eddie's words to the Eagles players after the game) and allowed that to paper over the absolute garbage fire going on behind the scenes. The nicer Buckley and just general mood of that 2018 team had me almost liking them. As a one-eyed WCE member it felt wrong. I couldn't hate them, and hating Collingwood used to come so easy to me.

As a contrast to Eddie, Trevor Nisbet has been the CEO of the Eagles since 1999, a year after McGuire got the job at the Pies. He's been at the top of the club all through our hosed mid 2000's, has the scrutiny of being at a similar sized operation as Collingwood under the media microscope of a two club ( one and a half tbh) town but does so quietly and favorably. You can easily separate the Eagles from Nisbet. I bet a lot of supporters from other teams couldn't even name him. You can't view Collingwood without seeing McGuire.

McGuire is his own hosed cult of personality, it clearly gets in the way of any sort of conciliatory processes the club has been needing to undergo for years. Can't see how they can do anything without his immediate removal.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

masterpine posted:

McGuire is his own hosed cult of personality, it clearly gets in the way of any sort of conciliatory processes the club has been needing to undergo for years. Can't see how they can do anything without his immediate removal.

From my view without as much history and from far away, this is what it looks like. Especially with Eddie serving so much on TV (how?! Magic Johnson was off broadcasts or studio duty when in the back office with the Lakers, that’s the only comparison I can think of) it just magnifies the bad points so much.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Melbourne offices return to 75% capacity next week - surely this means 50%+ AFL crowds are on.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/i-got-it-wrong-mcguire-apologises-for-comments-on-racism-report-20210202-p56yvz.html

"When I said it was a proud day for Collingwood, I didn't mean 'proud'. And only a fool would have seen it that way. I regret any offense anyone may have taken at their misinterpreting my use of the word."

Get hosed Eddie. Seriously, either learn how to apologize for loving up or stop loving up you racist self absorbed useless middle management weasel in an expensive suit.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

When I said that thing, I didn't mean for people to realise it was stupid. I would've never said that stupid thing if people had realised it was stupid. I regret that other people are able to notice when I say stupid things.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
He said it was a proud day about 17 times, not to mention the other things he said.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://twitter.com/dril/status/660644922744262656

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
The baffling thing is that Eddie has worked in media and journalism for a long time, you'd surely think someone like that should know how bad approaching spin that way was going to look ... which really says a lot about his ego overriding that.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

harperdc posted:

From my view without as much history and from far away, this is what it looks like. Especially with Eddie serving so much on TV (how?! Magic Johnson was off broadcasts or studio duty when in the back office with the Lakers, that’s the only comparison I can think of) it just magnifies the bad points so much.

Eddie is the kind of manager who takes the credit for other people's work, he doesn't actually do the work himself. He loves to order people around and have meetings and issue inspiring emails to the Team. That's how he became Eddie Everywhere, burning other people out, playing politics to take over other people's gigs.

thepokey posted:

The baffling thing is that Eddie has worked in media and journalism for a long time, you'd surely think someone like that should know how bad approaching spin that way was going to look ... which really says a lot about his ego overriding that.

He's that classic case of a narcissist always saying the quiet part out loud because he never pays attention to the audience when he's listening to the sound of how awesome he is. He's very skilled at fake apologies, and the real question is why people keep accepting them when he absolutely doesn't mean it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

In non-Eddie football news:

I tried to buy a pack of footy cards from my local newsagent today. I assumed that because the AFLW has started, that the 2021 ones would be out. I assumed wrong. The bloke in the shop told me that he is expecting them March 4th.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Somebody get Eddie McGuire under control

https://twitter.com/kthorjensen/status/1357745838265573378

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Nice to see Collingwood making an effort for the AFLW pride round by just wearing their home kit.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

monolithburger posted:

Nice to see Collingwood making an effort for the AFLW pride round by just wearing their home kit.

according to eddie they already had their proud day this week

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Breakfast Burrito posted:

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Breakfast Burrito posted: