Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

makes sense that the gnar tapes guys ended up working with them, they were all creeps too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So many loving red flags from everything to do with Burger records.

quote:

An all-ages ethos was key to Burger’s identity. Young fans, including those in high school, often mingled with older fans and musicians. Many women interviewed by The Times described rampant drug and alcohol use, even at shows where alcohol was not for sale.

quote:

That volume is partially how Bohrman explained the lack of oversight at Burger in a September 2019 interview with KEXP.

“When I find a band I really like, do I have to ask, ‘Have you raped anybody, and have you done this or that',” he said. “And then how do you follow up on that and get the full story? That sounds like a nightmare, and that’s not why I got into music.”

quote:

“In their marketing, they described themselves as perma-teens,” recalls Redd of Burger Records.

quote:

The following day, Burger Records turned off the comments on an Instagram post after women began writing about their traumatic experiences there. Redd saw Burger’s action as silencing victims, so she created the Lured_By_Burger_Records Instagram page.

quote:

Taylor Kourkos loved Burger bands and began going to all-ages shows when she was 16.

At the record shop, she says she was regularly invited into the back room and offered beer, alcohol and weed. Older guys from bands hung out there and Kourkos says they showered her with compliments.

I doubt its uniquely worse then any other central hub for a local music scene but lol at the founder describing about having to ask if a musician is a rapist as ruining the whole "music" experience he wanted.

Maybe I'm the crazy one but either directly or indirectly allowing your place of business to be a hub for underage drinking (and under 18 drinking especially) puts the blame on you for allowing that environment to exist.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

pentyne posted:

I doubt its uniquely worse then any other central hub for a local music scene but lol at the founder describing about having to ask if a musician is a rapist as ruining the whole "music" experience he wanted.

I'm sure that sentence sounded intelligent to him before he said it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It feels like a sentence that changes based on where you put the emphasis and when its said. Bad in an apology article and your business's toxic atmosphere, great in an exit interview or social post about why you quit.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Turns out the guy who married a 17 year old likes to groom underage women: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKZy9feAnJo/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1353922530306904064?s=20

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

GrandpaPants posted:

Turns out the guy who married a 17 year old likes to groom underage women: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKZy9feAnJo/

Some actors to some extend work their personality into a role, but turned up to eleven. When portraying intensely unlikable characters, Doug Hutchison seemingly toned down what an incredibly creepy guy he is.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
He was always extremely good at playing creeps. His X Files episode is still the best one of the series.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Judakel posted:

He was always extremely good at playing creeps. His X Files episode is still the best one of the series.

There are a ton of great roles he had in movies I liked, but he is firmly in Jeffrey Jones territory. Burrowers, Punisher Warzone, hell even in Green Mile he was wonderfully punchable.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKvmsUmF1ho/?igshid=1ogjfczwui6ey

Evan Rachel Wood about Marilyn Manson

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I was just reading about it. He really and truly is a monstrous person.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I could have sworn that she already flipped on him years ago.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I could have sworn that she already flipped on him years ago.

She was vague about it but it was rather obvious who she was talking about based on her public relationship history.

https://metalinjection.net/metal-cr...mony-resurfaces

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

She was vague about it but it was rather obvious who she was talking about based on her public relationship history.

https://metalinjection.net/metal-cr...mony-resurfaces

Ahhhh, that would be it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Yikes.

Please I hope they keep exposing that creep.

I'm glad Dita got out of that relationship. Like I said in a very old post, her public complain was that he kept trying to live as a single man. Would still go out with girls and throwing parties. Things were probably worst than she is saying.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I still think Bowling was a good conversation starter at the right time

https://twitter.com/eve6/status/1355538054820188168?s=21

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/eve6/status/1355538054820188168?s=21

Thank Christ someone else has pointed this out, it really is the dumbest loving interview

Warner said he’d stop the Columbine shooters by “just listening to them” like WWWWHHHHOOOOOOOOAAAAAAA DUUUUUDE HOW DID NOBODY THINK OF THAT

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Thank Christ someone else has pointed this out, it really is the dumbest loving interview

Warner said he’d stop the Columbine shooters by “just listening to them” like WWWWHHHHOOOOOOOOAAAAAAA DUUUUUDE HOW DID NOBODY THINK OF THAT

To be fair, it was a dipshit time. Like, you think Marilyn Manson said some dumbass things back then, imagine the other side of the argument that made him look like the reasonable one.

gently caress him, though. I'm glad he has basically faded out of public consciousness.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alan Smithee posted:

My main problem with Bowling for Columbine is that it left out how both of the shooters were white supremists who did the shooting on Hitler's birthday and intentionally targeted students of color.

Racism was a HUGE part of the reason why they did what they did, and Michael Moore just completely loving ignored that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

My main problem with Bowling for Columbine is that it left out how both of the shooters were white supremists who did the shooting on Hitler's birthday and intentionally targeted students of color.

Racism was a HUGE part of the reason why they did what they did, and Michael Moore just completely loving ignored that.

Him and everyone else. The narrative was 'they were bullied and then lashed out at their bullies' which they didn't. Even outside of being nazis, they weren't the bullied ones, they were the bullies.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1356395930967105537?s=20

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Snowman_McK posted:

Him and everyone else. The narrative was 'they were bullied and then lashed out at their bullies' which they didn't. Even outside of being nazis, they weren't the bullied ones, they were the bullies.

Yeah, a lot of the poo poo that we now know about Harris and Klebold weren't really in the public awareness until Dave Cullen's book came out.

Desperado Bones posted:

Yikes.

Please I hope they keep exposing that creep.

I'm glad Dita got out of that relationship. Like I said in a very old post, her public complain was that he kept trying to live as a single man. Would still go out with girls and throwing parties. Things were probably worst than she is saying.

I vaguely recall it being worded as something like "chasing jailbait." I'm pretty sure there'll be a lot more coming out sooner or later beyond Evan Rachel Wood. It's almost always never "just the one."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowman_McK posted:

And then the exact narrative is recycled with literally every school shooter, completely ignoring that literally every spree shooter in the US is inspired by white supremacy. Every. Single. One.

Yes, even the asian ones.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And then the exact narrative is recycled with literally every school shooter, completely ignoring that literally every spree shooter in the US is inspired by white supremacy. Every. Single. One.

DC Sniper?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

They were anything but consistent with their beliefs. Racist ramblings in their journals co-existed with their blog posts about hating racism. There's no evidence to suggest they were Nazis -- the shooting was originally supposed to coincide with the Oklahoma bombings, and one of them wore a USSR pin on the day of massacre. Also, all but one of the victims were white. They were inspired and angered by a lot of things; it's not really clear at all that race was a particularly motivating factor.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, there was the violent video game narrative. Wolfenstein 3D (1992), Doom (1993) and Quake (1996) were each vilified for a long time. According to some on TV the games were so mesmerizing that many kids were going to turn into zombies and attack their schools at the turn of the century.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Nidal Hasan?

Elliott Rogers?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Zogo posted:

Also, there was the violent video game narrative. Wolfenstein 3D (1992), Doom (1993) and Quake (1996) were each vilified for a long time. According to some on TV the games were so mesmerizing that many kids were going to turn into zombies and attack their schools at the turn of the century.

As an interesting aside, those violent video games, which got blamed for a lot of violent crime, were released almost the same time that violent crime started trending heavily down. It's not the cause, obviously, it's just an amusing correlation.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I still love the arguments being made at the time that shooters would 'train' in 90s video games - you know, the ones that don't have any sort of cover or reloading mechanics, and let you run around full speed while carrying a dozen different weapons. Terrifyingly realistic!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

Nidal Hasan?

Elliott Rogers?

Elliott Rodger totally had some white supremacist stuff in his manifesto, yeah. Tends to go hand in hand with MRA poo poo.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

I still love the arguments being made at the time that shooters would 'train' in 90s video games - you know, the ones that don't have any sort of cover or reloading mechanics, and let you run around full speed while carrying a dozen different weapons. Terrifyingly realistic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epeo8Pfm1xM

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Elliott Rodger totally had some white supremacist stuff in his manifesto, yeah. Tends to go hand in hand with MRA poo poo.

School shooters and mass shooters seem to be somewhat different, as mass shooters by and large have specific targets, and you get a strong political/race motivation involved for many of them.

School shootings aren't really the same, it's more of a generalized expression of rage and an obsession with violence against an easy target.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So THAT'S what JNCO jeans were for! :monocle:

(LMAO at the guy pulling a full rifle)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Angry Salami posted:

It turns out the real dangerous game was Microsoft Flight Sim.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We've gone over this before but yeah, Elliot Rodger is like the quintessential hapa neonazi.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Schwarzwald posted:

It turns out the real dangerous game was Microsoft Flight Sim.

:dudsmile:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

We've gone over this before but yeah, Elliot Rodger is like the quintessential hapa neonazi.

This is very unsettling.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1356664082078683136?s=21

https://entertainment.theonion.com/marilyn-manson-now-going-door-to-door-trying-to-shock-p-1819565904/amp

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's always shady when an abuser is instantly thrown to the wolves... almost like everyone knew already and are now distancing themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Gargamel Gibson posted:

This is very unsettling.

That’s kinda where I end up. The words “quintessential hapa neonazi” unpack into more than I can keep in RAM at once so it just fails.