Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

coronatae posted:

"Cheats on his diet" when he hasn't even started to try. This is the most invested I've ever been in Rex Morgan

I'm angry at Buck but in a good way because we're clearly supposed to be thinking he's a moron. Not like Ed who cheats on his diet and is treated like an everyman hero. Or the Tinkersons dad, who also cheats on his diet but is also shown as being self aware of his poor decision making skills and is otherwise making a sincere effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set loves the classics.

Working Daze is an air travel hazard.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix celebrates one of the greats.

Cul De Sac has come back around to one of the greatest comics of all time.

Musical accompaniment!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Drawn and Quartered - 1942

Wonder if her name is Daisy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love the disdainful look of the chef in the front there.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Howard Beale posted:

Get hosed Ed Kudlick

Excellent.

Darthemed posted:

Popular Comics

Smitty is kind of weird to read now because it’s about a child working an office job back when that was legal (child labor is fun!). Its an interesting time capsule from an age where that kind of thing just wasn’t a big deal.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Today got hosed and I've been too lazy, so The Shadow and Flyin' Jenny should be back in the next update (I'll toss in an extra of each, and gently caress I still gotta do a Sunday dump of Flyin' Jenny at some point too). So, until I'm less exhausted, here's Axa

Gee, I wonder why she's feeling anger, hostility, and fear?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

I never noticed that Black History Month is shortest month of the year before and now I will think about this every February until the day I die.

Old School Peanuts (Jun 17, 1952)

LMAO at "the gay 90's". Yes I am terribly mature.

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 27-28, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(Aug 31, 2018)

(Sep 3, 2018)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (February 5, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (March 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (March 5, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (August 5, 1935)

Dark Laughter (July 19, 1941)

Mopsy Sunday (April 13, 1947)

Those Were the Days (May 3, 1951)

Dinky Fellas (April 26, 1965)

Wee Pals (April 26, 1965)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Robbie and Bobby

The blood donation centers in South Korea no longer offer snacks due to Covid restrictions. When will this nightmare end?!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I've been playing through Dragon Quest Builders 2 lately and this speaks to me since you're often put in a situation where everyone else is living in dirt houses with a rock for a chair and then you get better materials and build one out of brick with curtains and a sofa.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Considering how it's been said that the mission control is worried that one of the crew got replaced by a shapeshifter, you'd think they'd be more stringent with their tests and realize how hosed up DNA Wizard's cells are from her years of experimenting on herself.

The Bloop posted:

loving poo poo Holbrook

How big is this branch? The last panel makes it look small enough not to have all this panic about

It's a fairly large branch, but A) it's not even part of their house and all their rooms are located inside the tree trunk, and B) the nearest house is far enough away that it won't even fall on it.

This whole thing has been a complete non-issue.

catlord posted:

Today got hosed and I've been too lazy, so The Shadow and Flyin' Jenny should be back in the next update (I'll toss in an extra of each, and gently caress I still gotta do a Sunday dump of Flyin' Jenny at some point too). So, until I'm less exhausted, here's Axa

Gee, I wonder why she's feeling anger, hostility, and fear?

Jason is starting to realize that maybe he should've just stayed back on his family's island. :lol:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

So clearly Luann kept it quiet because Tara asked her to, so good for her. Not sure why the need for absolute secrecy, though. They're all adults, so it's not crazy for one to crash at another's home on a school night. Sure, Bernice will be a judgy rear end in a top hat about it, but she's going to be that no matter what you do.

ETA: Never mind. I thought about it for two seconds, and yeah. Bernice is going to be a judgy nosy rear end in a top hat about it, and who wants to explain their whole sordid life story to loving Bernice? Nobody, that's who. (She will be an incredibly unsuccessful shrink one day.) So yeah, keeping it quiet was likely a good move.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 2, 2021

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I've been playing through Dragon Quest Builders 2 lately and this speaks to me since you're often put in a situation where everyone else is living in dirt houses with a rock for a chair and then you get better materials and build one out of brick with curtains and a sofa.

That's why I went back after finishing the story and unlocking everything so I could make everyone a house perfectly tailored to their tastes. Malroth will live in a goddamn castle, he deserves it. :colbert:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tara probably spent the whole night copying Luann's classwork, the cheat!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I am shocked that they brought back Tara. I assumed we'd never see her again since she's a fun character who bounces off the complete sticks in the mud that is everyone else, and we can't have that in Luann.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

So clearly Luann kept it quiet because Tara asked her to, so good for her. Not sure why the need for absolute secrecy, though. They're all adults, so it's not crazy for one to crash at another's home on a school night. Sure, Bernice will be a judgy rear end in a top hat about it, but she's going to be that no matter what you do.

ETA: Never mind. I thought about it for two seconds, and yeah. Bernice is going to be a judgy nosy rear end in a top hat about it, and who wants to explain their whole sordid life story to loving Bernice? Nobody, that's who. (She will be an incredibly unsuccessful shrink one day.) So yeah, keeping it quiet was likely a good move.

Hold the phone, what's this about Luann being good at keeping secrets? She's absolutely the last person you would want to tell anything. Bernice's brother asked her to keep his worries about Bernice not spending time with him and his kids a secret, and Luann blabbed about it to Jack first thing.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So am I getting old or does it seem really unreasonable for Jeremy to not want cocoa?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

He doesn't want to explain how Garage Band software works, and probably wants to work on his music in peace

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I think the joke is "Jeremy's mom is going to make some cocoa so she'll have something to drink while Jeremy explains what he's doing, since it will take a long time. Jeremy actually just wanted her to leave him alone, which is why he said it would take a long time to explain."

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Huh. I just read it as she wanted to do something nice for him because he was clearly working hard on something difficult that was important to him and she wanted to be supportive, not that she was literally expecting him to explain it to her. Basically the opposite of those gags we see where a parent gives their kid a hard time for doing something productive on account of it being out of character.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Some Guy TT posted:

Huh. I just read it as she wanted to do something nice for him because he was clearly working hard on something difficult that was important to him and she wanted to be supportive, not that she was literally expecting him to explain it to her. Basically the opposite of those gags we see where a parent gives their kid a hard time for doing something productive on account of it being out of character.
It's a 'parents just don't understand' strip except in the realistic way where the parent is being nice, just missing what the teen thinks is a clear signal.

2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Bonus incredibly petty Dear Abby:

Locher Tracy

Apparently this arc is a reprint from 1993 according to a stray gocomics commenter.

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

This dog seriously needs to chill the gently caress out already.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 2, 2021

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/1/01

Brenda Starr 10/25-27/45

Smokey Stover 5/22 and 24/39 (see below)

So for May 23, Holman *finally* draws an African (as opposed to Smokey in blackface) and, well, it’s just about as bad as you might think. I went back and forth on whether to post it, even under spoilers, and finally decided, nah.

The actual joke is pretty innocuous, so here it is in text form:

quote:

Panel 1:

Chief: This jungle is a big mystery to me, and I haven’t seen any signs marked exit — yet!
Smokey (pointing off panel): Look, Chief — a cannibal, and he’s alone!

Panel 2: African is standing in the foreground holding a spear while Smokey and the Chief stare at him.

Smokey: We’re two against one — don’t be scared, boss — I’m gonna try to talk to that baby!

Panel 3:

Smokey (to African, gesturing): Big tin bird, him smackum ground — now we lost — you gettum us out pronto, savvy?

Panel 4:

African: Pardon me, gentlemen — but I’m having extreme difficulty in understanding your crude language!

Chief’s hat flies off while he and Smokey emit plewds. Finis.

Elvis's Poor Almanac

Bonus ad! The war's over, so here's General Electric to brag about how fast they'll be rolling out new goods for you, the victorious American, to consume!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

post the African

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ella Cinders

Okay so... is the protein pill supposed to be the obvious scam it reads to me in 2021 or is it supposed to be a legit thing within the fiction of Ella Cinders?

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Bonus incredibly petty Dear Abby:

Dear Abby was occasionally very good

Upon inspection of Wikipedia, it is also occasionally quite lovely :/

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I get why people use the spoiler tags, and I don't begrudge anyone for it, but they make the thread hard to read and they can get ridiculous sometimes. Like I'm playing Where's Woggo sometimes figuring out where the offensive material even if it's somewhere in the background.

I would rather have less spoiler tags in general saving them for the really bad stuff like Smokey's well spoken African or the Colonel running around with his gun. Which is to say, comics that aren't even getting posted at all under current thread culture. Although if anyone is very bothered by triggering images or worried about them being seen at work, by all means post. At present I'm not totally sure we even have anyone in that situation.

edit: proofreading errors

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 2, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My Lovely Horse posted:

post the African

Okay so... is the protein pill supposed to be the obvious scam it reads to me in 2021 or is it supposed to be a legit thing within the fiction of Ella Cinders?

Scam. The narrator said something like "saved from the huckster by five minutes" when the bank was closed (she forced her way in anyway).

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 2/1/01

:gonk: DON'T GIVE CATS OR DOGS CHOCOLATE! EVER!!!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 2/1/01

I can't believe he's murdering both of his pets like this.

dismas posted:

Dear Abby was occasionally very good

Upon inspection of Wikipedia, it is also occasionally quite lovely :/
I read '78 Dear Abby every time I get comics to post, and overall it's good but with some strange biases society has(mostly) since moved past, like hangups about having sex/moving in with someone before getting married to them. But it's balanced by her being impressively progressive about other things, like gay people and trans people. I can't speak to how it turns out in other periods of time, though.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's weird to think of a column written by the same person over several decades as having differing values. I remember the nineties ones I read as a kid as having fairly reasonable sounding advice at least.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Drimble Wedge posted:

:gonk: DON'T GIVE CATS OR DOGS CHOCOLATE! EVER!!!

Lol the chill dog being disappointed he’s not getting a cat based snack.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Does anyone have that Creeps comic where they talk about how smart they are for figuring out that cat food is made of cats because logically, why else cats would be on the cover? I've been thinking of that storyline infrequently ever since hearing about the Quillette guy who just thought there was a dog on the packaging of his shampoo for no reason.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 2, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Does anyone have that Creeps comic where they talk about how smart they are for figuring out that cat food is made of cats because logically, why else cats would be on the cover? I've been thinking of that storyline infrequently ever since hearing about the Quillette guy who just thought there was a dog on the packaging of his shampoo for no reason.
Maybe he was a werewolf.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks (August 5, 1935)
some saloon doors!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (May 17-21, 1999)

I ain't gonna repeat the whole thing I posted a while back about Episode I, but for those who weren't there or were too young to remember, it was super big. One of the most anticipated movies of the year.

Just an observation: it's notable that Rudy calls it "The middle Star Wars trilogy" in 1999 since no one was even considering making Episodes VII-IX yet. (Lucas had said on many occasions he wanted to make nine movies total, but they still weren't on the table.)

Mikl fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 2, 2021

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

My VHS copy of the OT begins with a long intro discussing the in-progress PT and Lucas's plan for "at least 3" movies after Jedi. Back in 99 people would think you were crazy if you told them how long Episode VII was going to take.

Also, credit where credit is due, this is a pretty decemt way of having topical content with a lead time.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 2, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 2, 1999)

Garfield Classic (June 2, 1989)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

All this talk about Dear Abby reminded me that Wilbur from Mary Worth writes for a newspaper column where he pretends to be someone named Wendy and gives other women relationship advice of all things. Not to mention that one time, his advice managed to destroy a woman's marriage and she tried to sue him. :laffo: