Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Presumably wizards are at least semi-reliant on muggle production for food and alcohol. I know the wizard population is small in number and we see that the Weasley's have a subsistence garden, but I refuse to believe they have agriculture, ranching, distilling, and brewing happening at scale to be entirely self sufficient. In which case prohibition could potentially screw with American wizards who want a drink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sydin posted:

Presumably wizards are at least semi-reliant on muggle production for food and alcohol. I know the wizard population is small in number and we see that the Weasley's have a subsistence garden, but I refuse to believe they have agriculture, ranching, distilling, and brewing happening at scale to be entirely self sufficient. In which case prohibition could potentially screw with American wizards who want a drink?

There are spells for both enlarging food and duplicating it.. some of the more egregious bits of "keeping this from the muggles is evil" magic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TheAardvark posted:

There are spells for both enlarging food and duplicating it.. some of the more egregious bits of "keeping this from the muggles is evil" magic.

Don't forget stuff like healing magic.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Chamber has exposition about everyone being sick with cold/flu and getting a potion to cure it right before a scene where Filch is grumpy bc he has the flu. They won’t even share with him.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Guy wants to whip children I dunno....

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Chamber has exposition about everyone being sick with cold/flu and getting a potion to cure it right before a scene where Filch is grumpy bc he has the flu. They won’t even share with him.

Chambers has that they can just use spells to fix broken bones and potions that can regrow bones.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheAardvark posted:

lmao right right I forgot that it's a big deal that one of the hard and fast rules of magic is that you cannot create food, but apparently you can dupe it which makes that rule entirely pointless!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the part where wizards...sometimes are beholden to muggle laws and expectations is by far the most confusing bullshit part of the 'worldbuilding'. like in philosopher's stone it doesn't matter because wizards are still part of normal society, they're just 'others', but as the books advance and it becomes clear that there's a full-on masquerade it breaks down completely

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sydin posted:

lmao right right I forgot that it's a big deal that one of the hard and fast rules of magic is that you cannot create food, but apparently you can dupe it which makes that rule entirely pointless!

Yeah and it's both introduced and made redundant in the same sentence, and it's basically just a really pedantic excuse to make Ron grumpy while camping. Even then it makes Hermione look kind of dumb because she could have just taken some drat canned goods from her parent's house when she mind wiped them and sent them to Australia. 5-10 cans could make all the variety you'd ever need but oh no need to fit in 3 extra books into her magically large bag instead.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
yea the issue with transfiguration and food and even other stuff is- clearly stuff can be changed, duplicated or increased but doesn't necessarily remain so except when it does. So maybe they just grow some food and then duplicate it permanently. Maybe you need more skill or special artifacts (like a philosopher's stone) to make the change permanent or change certain materials like gold? Who knows. It's fine to not explain every detail or rule of a system but there are so many contradictions that saying there is a system besides author says so is silly.

like what the h*ck are the rules for reflecting spells off a surface? sometimes the reflective surface is scorched or shatters or cracks and sometimes it reflects pewpew. can you send intangible spells through materials or ignore them completely? what about teleporting a stunning spell behind someone? why didn't Dumbledore use wandless magic to defend himself because we know wandless magic works, it's just not as focused or powerful. Where does the sun go at night? is it mad at me?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the constitutional arrangements for the ministry of magic make zero sense. the minister is presumably a parallel prime minister, but are they elected? various ministry employees are described as potentially being in line for future promotion to minister, so it seems like they aren't. are staff political appointments, or politically neutral like the uk civil service???

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's definitely an elected position, a big aspect of Fudge's character is that he only won his election because the far more popular option in Dumbledore refused to run for the office. So he's got a massive inferiority complex and once poo poo hits the fan in OotP he's constantly paranoid that Dumbledore is going to undermine his authority and most wizards will side with Dumbledore over him. He also loses his gig in HBP because the ministry is forced to admit that yeah actually Voldy is back and we've been lying to you about it for a year, which understandably caused enough of a political shitstorm that Fudge had no choice but to resign.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

ungulateman posted:

the part where wizards...sometimes are beholden to muggle laws and expectations is by far the most confusing bullshit part of the 'worldbuilding'. like in philosopher's stone it doesn't matter because wizards are still part of normal society, they're just 'others', but as the books advance and it becomes clear that there's a full-on masquerade it breaks down completely

fantastic beasts 4 will reveal Grindelwald was actually just arrested for bullshitting on his taxes and is serving like 8 life sentences in a normal prison

My phone auto-capitalises Grindelwald

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In the UK edition he’s Minister for Magic, which sort of implies he’d be some sort of pseudo-cabinet member under the current muggle PM. This only raises further questions.

Is the Queen a witch?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Every election the existing Minister goes to the PM and tells them to select him as Minister for Magic in exchange for not turning him into a toad.

After an incident in 1858 the minister for magic may not attent cabinet meetings but is still entitled to biscuits.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
WarnerMedia reportedly planning Harry Potter TV series for HBO Max

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Kinda reads like Warner are leaning on Rowling to get her to let them make a TV series with reduced creative control on her side.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

josh04 posted:

Kinda reads like Warner are leaning on Rowling to get her to let them make a TV series with reduced creative control on her side.

I doubt she will ever allow that unfortunately. it's a shame too because who wouldn't want a well done big budget HP series with a new story? It'd make ten trillion dollars

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah everybody could be happy if Rowling agreed to sit back and not get involved in new HP stuff in exchange for a massive cut of the profits. She gets richer, tons of people get new HP poo poo that they can feel less guilty about because it doesn't have a raging transphobe attached to it. But JK has way too big an ego to ever agree to that so it's moot.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't want JK to get my royalty bucks but also, at this point does it even matter? She's richer than the queen. She will die rich and her kids will live like kings in their luxury treehouses.*

*yes, she lives in a historical estate and literally bought and bulldozed the property next door to build luxury hogwarts-themed treehouses

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Aardvark! posted:

who wouldn't want a big budget HP series with a new story?

Me.

Good crops only grow in fertile soil.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
This fall on HBOMax...Beverly Hills Hagrid

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Honestly a series about Hagrid's misadventures as a young man trying to come to terms with his heritage, an outcast from both wizard and Giant society with no wand, would rule. Fighting in an underground magical creature fighting ring, buying and saving baby manticores etc.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They can't even start filming until 2025.

Harry Potter is not trending up. Not seeing it being in a good place in 4+ years.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Me.

Good crops only grow in fertile soil.

This analogy falls apart when you remember that poo poo is used for fertilizer.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
from the perspective of a plant, poo poo is amazingly good

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Strained metaphors aside, I think I've said before how the Harry Potter world seems to close off as the books go by, the wonders of the magic kinda sink into a mire as they're steadily taken for granted, less new things crop up over time, and as the final book has Harry going through his final hurdles to go into adulthood, he both gets more powerful and uses half as many spells until the story's over and Harry has to become a true adult and chooses which one of the 5 adult jobs he knows about to have the rest of his life's events offscreen.

I get the idea that they wanted to get away from Hogwarts, but it seems like a real mistake to pick up the tone and attitude of the last movie/book and run with that instead of backpedaling some towards the attitude of the earlier books where the magic world was huge with crazy new magic (and weird hurdles to get past) lurking around every turn. They definitely shouldn't have gone hunting for a new evil wizard who poses an existential threat to the (relatively small) wizard world but has very little personal dramatic weight for the new main character.

But Warner Brothers (or I guess the current company that owns them) has invested heavily into merchandise and promotion for the franchise, and it sells, so they gotta do whatever they can to keep it going. The direction it goes next probably depends on how the game does.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there something in the GoF book that implies Dumbledore knows something about Barty Jr being a deatheater? When Karkaroff starts the "There’s a guy that tortured Longbottom" reveal in the pensieve they show DD looking like he knows what's coming. Could just be a look of annoyance that he keeps trying with names, but it certainly looks like he knows something to me.

KDdidit fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 29, 2021

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

KDdidit posted:

Is there something in the GoF book that implies Dumbledore knows something about Barty Jr being a deatheater? When Karkaroff starts the "There’s a guy that tortured Longbottom" reveal in the pensieve they show DD looking like he knows what's coming. Could just be a look of annoyance that he keeps trying with names, but it certainly looks like he knows something to me.

Unless I’m not looking in the right place I think that part was an invention of the movies. In the book Karkaroff starts giving out names and they all are already known except one, then when they try to take him away he accuses Snape in a panic. It’s also a series of memories instead of one; the next one is Ludo Bagman then the group with Crouch Jr

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Unless I’m not looking in the right place I think that part was an invention of the movies. In the book Karkaroff starts giving out names and they all are already known except one, then when they try to take him away he accuses Snape in a panic. It’s also a series of memories instead of one; the next one is Ludo Bagman then the group with Crouch Jr

Exactly this. Harry even asks him about Crouch Jr. and Dumbledore says he didn't know the truth of his guilt or not.

The movie also changed it so "it destroyed Barty to [send his son to Azkaban]" whereas it's the total opposite in the books. Crouch Sr. is presented as a very ruthless figure who never loved his son.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I hate the HP films for a lot of reasons. But I'm a fair man and this bit from Movie 4 rules

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i like the implication that the entire wizarding world knew harry potter was getting seriously abused and straight up didnt give a gently caress
no wait not like what's that other thing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
that's literally just normal life

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I don't think that's the implication.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Harry Potter is basically wizard Paris Hilton

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Exactly this. Harry even asks him about Crouch Jr. and Dumbledore says he didn't know the truth of his guilt or not.

The movie also changed it so "it destroyed Barty to [send his son to Azkaban]" whereas it's the total opposite in the books. Crouch Sr. is presented as a very ruthless figure who never loved his son.

That scene in the films is awful, with Tennant gurning for the camera and Crouch being despondent instead of triumphantly showing his ruthlessness in a show trial. The touches of moral greyness and ambiguity in the books are sorely needed even if they feel tacked on and aren't explored enough, the films ditching the bits that are there is stupid.
It's a shame Rowling didn't sell her idea to a better writer since the core of the story could be so much better with someone who was actually willing to explore the issues more

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mx. posted:

i like the implication that the entire wizarding world knew harry potter was getting seriously abused and straight up didnt give a gently caress
no wait not like what's that other thing

Why the Wesleys didn't adopt Harry is beyond me. They clearly love him and treat him like a son... right up until summer vacation when they tell him to eat poo poo and abandon him to go gently caress around in Egypt. Or just let him stay at Hogwarts over the summer, it's not like he doesn't stay over long breaks like Christmas.

And speaking of Christmas, was Jesus a wizard?

No, and the Lord casts out the evils of witchcraft. The wizarding world is damned for Christ in his perfect justice cannot accept them into the kingdom of heaven.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Ancient Magic protected Harry specifically while lived with a blood relative. That’s all in the fifth book. Presumably he needed to spend most of his not school time there for it to be guaranteed to work properly.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Well it sure did a poo poo job protecting him from Dementors :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Harry was outside the house and the ministry knows both his general and specific location. He was likely being tracked by the ministry when he left his home, just as he was being tracked by the Order.

This is one of those things that goes partially unexplained in the text, but the protection works against Voldemort (or possibly one of his agents). So once the ministry or people in it were under his control, they were left to wait it out. OR it was that Voldemort was so singularly obsessed with killing Harry himself, he was unwilling to let him be arrested or otherwise captured/killed and so decided to wait while making it difficult for Harry to leave easily.