Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
when playing as a Vanguard, Mass Effect is no longer a cover shooter. ME3 and ME:A are glorious because Vanguard classing means you never need to take cover. ever.

i don't remember ME2's vanguard gameplay... but i tried all the classes in ME2 and they were pretty fun. it's really only the Soldier class that requires you to play it as a cover shooter. so i dig that if that's how you want to play it you can, but gameplay fun is maximized by running out in the open and tossing incinerate and toss before charging someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Vanquish is a great cover shooter too lmao

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
judging cover shooters with a pretty broad brush here, i guess.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm okay with games being cover shooters as shorthand for 'this is just to move the game forward' like almost every Rockstar game where the real thrill is ridiculous car physics

In that sense ME1 is less an RPG and more a GTA-lite when you think about it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My favorite part of ME1 was driving the Mako because it meant I wouldn't have to deal with the half-KOTOR, half-vaguely-modern-game combat for a bit.

Also doing sick frontflips.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Utgardaloki posted:

ME1 has the best gameplay because it's the most RPG and the least cover shooter.

cover shooters are a loving blight and they always were. what a black hole of lovely ideas. ME1's gameplay is, I mean this genuinely; factually and objectively better than Gears of War or whatever anyone's favorite cover shooter is.

This guy doesn't play vanguard and as such any gameplay opinions he has?. Trash. Abominable. Ignore them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Despite all its problems and Andromeda which I'm not even recognizing here, Mass Effect is still probably one of the greatest game series ever made.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

the truth can hurt to read but u will be okay i promise

Psycho Landlord posted:

This guy doesn't play vanguard and as such any gameplay opinions he has?. Trash. Abominable. Ignore them.

I absolutely play Vanguard, but it's not fun because it's awesome - it's fun because because it's further away from cover shooting

the best solution to ME2 especially being a garbage cover shooter isn't to play vanguard, it's for bioware to have made it a better game to begin with and whichever cretins popularized the genre to have done something else with their careers instead

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

exquisite tea posted:

Despite all its problems and Andromeda which I'm not even recognizing here, Mass Effect is still probably one of the greatest game series ever made.

it’s good! I hope the next one is good

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Just utter doggerel, clearly

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Funky Valentine posted:

Javik is my favorite Mass Effect because he roasts asari while their planet is getting wrecked.

I do absolutely love the whiplash of "Benevolent advanced being that are trying to save us" setup in ME1 to "Jackass that thinks every one else is scum" in ME3 with the Prothean. Taking Javik and Liara together on Thessia was a treat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Javik was definitely one of the best things about Mass Effect 3. I can’t believe EA partitioned him off as DLC!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Javik was definitely one of the best things about Mass Effect 3. I can’t believe EA partitioned him off as DLC!

Ahh the good ol' days when you were pretty much boned if you bought used

Also apparently remastered previews are dropping in a few hours, somebody scooped a link to a unreleased gamespot article for it: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/m...mpaign=homepage

Can't wait to see folks be mad that they didn't fix the ME3 story to suit their headcanon theories

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m going to buy and play the mass effect trilogy again

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

exquisite tea posted:

yah well ME3 had a whole host of mistakes going on with it. i totally believe it. also Javik rules!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Utgardaloki posted:

the truth can hurt to read but u will be okay i promise

next thing you know you'll be trying to tell me tye Star Wars prequels are good or something

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

exquisite tea posted:

Missed out on him and all the DLC since my brother and I felt pretty burned by the ending.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Just finished replaying the trilogy for the.... 4th time.... Last year. Not sure if I will jump in on this remaster as none of the excellent ME3 mods will be compatible for a long time (if ever). We'll see if they actually do anything other than upres/port for the console folks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Missed out on him and all the DLC since my brother and I felt pretty burned by the ending.

This is a shining example of how greedy-rear end anti-consumer policies can hurt a product overall, because Javik is a thematically important and I would argue essential character to what ME3 is going for. It would be like if you had to buy the Digital Deluxe version of Home Alone to see Kevin's scenes with Old Man Marley.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
This thread made me fire up Origin for the first time in a very long while. Turns out I was missing a couple of character outfit packs for ME2. I can't believe they still use 'Bioware points' for that poo poo. I had just enough points for one pack but not the other. It's so weird they never released complete editions of any of these over the years.

The remastered editions can't come out soon enough.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Jose Oquendo posted:

This thread made me fire up Origin for the first time in a very long while. Turns out I was missing a couple of character outfit packs for ME2. I can't believe they still use 'Bioware points' for that poo poo. I had just enough points for one pack but not the other. It's so weird they never released complete editions of any of these over the years.

The remastered editions can't come out soon enough.

They have "complete" DLC packs for 2 + 3 that go on sale pretty regularly (since ME news is dropping today, a sale today/soon seems likely?)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I thought me1 was just tits then fallout 3 came out and it was like "how could I ever have thought that was just tits" then fallout nv came out and I was like e same thing but about fallout 3

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

exquisite tea posted:

Another reason to always wait for the super discounted special editions with all the dlc tacked on. Even dlc-less Andromeda was enjoyable enough for $3.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Hey, EA. Here's an idea.

Mass Effect: Battlefield

They were actually making this and then cancelled it. No joke, because Bioware is beyond parody at this point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

By the end of the trilogy Mass Effect had really good gameplay, but the problem with these MP-only spinoff ideas is that people enjoyed the co-op so much because of their familiarity with the world & characters. Would it be as much fun bitchslapping dudes with a Krogan if they were just some ala carte frog dinosaur race and you didn't have memorable characters like Wrex and Grunt as a reference point? Maybe a little, but Andromeda shows you how few diminishing returns you get from squeezing out a tired fascimile from the core experience.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Utgardaloki posted:

ME1 has the best gameplay because it's the most RPG and the least cover shooter.

cover shooters are a loving blight and they always were. what a black hole of lovely ideas. ME1's gameplay is, I mean this genuinely; factually and objectively better than Gears of War or whatever anyone's favorite cover shooter is.

this is an extremely correct post

me1 also had the best story by a country mile

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ME1 attempted to be a cover shooter as well, it was just exceptionally bad at it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

failing to be a cover shooter is better than succeeding at being a cover shooter

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

wow i can tell mass effect is going to be a great RPG, i hope this game is as cool as the trailers make it out to be. it's a bioware game (the people who made kotor and neverwinter knights!) so you know it's gonna be good right?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

You're all making me tempted to reinstall it...

Do it all again.

'Cept 3. 3 is bad.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

wow i can tell mass effect is going to be a great RPG, i hope this game is as cool as the trailers make it out to be. it's a bioware game (the people who made kotor and neverwinter knights!) so you know it's gonna be good right?

i feel very alone in that i did not give a hot flying gently caress about bioware before mass effect, i bought that poo poo because it looked rad as hell and then i played it and it was rad as hell. still prolly my favorite 360 game.

then me3 came out and was the game that turned me into a massive fuckin cynic but oh well they can't all be winners i guess.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1356633171719311361?s=21

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Comparison shots -

https://www.ea.com/games/mass-effect/mass-effect-legendary-edition#image2

Lookin nice. Hopefully the LENS FLARE is only because of the sun in each shot and not for all lighting

edit - Oh and ME3 canon Femshep is now in all 3 games. Trilogy saved

edit2- Jesus

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Looks like they made FemShep's default face from ME3 canon. Wonder if they'll canonize Liara's big bazongas as well.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Thane is now much sexier, the most important improvement.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

Looks like they made FemShep's default face from ME3 canon. Wonder if they'll canonize Liara's big bazongas as well.

I'm afraid it's just not a Legendary edition if they don't.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

exquisite tea posted:

Samara's magumbos must also grow to keep the consistency of Samara having the biggest rack in the galaxy.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Mass Effect 1 Remastered will let you kill both Kaiden and Ashley at Virmire.

Pre-ordering now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Utgardaloki posted:

ME1 has by far the worst gameplay because it is just dicerolls. ME2/ME3 have amazing combat as long as you don't go soldier. Adept is where it's at boys.

Also have they said if the multiplayer for 3 will be relaunched as well?

Btw steam pre order working for anyone? Its sending me to steam homepage instead.