Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

This thread made me feel nostalgic for when I used to watch wrestling in like 7th-10th grade so I started trawling some Youtube clips of the Rock and Mankind palling around and then it got to one in 2003 featuring them shilling for the Iraq War :negative:

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
wrestling kind of sucks because something stupid like 70% of the wrestlers I grew up watching and idolizing every week have died extremely premature deaths due to the drug abuse required to wrestle 300+ days a year

it's me, i'm the buzzkill

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Black Sunshine posted:

wrestling kind of sucks because something stupid like 70% of the wrestlers I grew up watching and idolizing every week have died extremely premature deaths due to the drug abuse required to wrestle 300+ days a year

it's me, i'm the buzzkill

Not everyone lives as clean a life as THE NATURE BOY!

WOO!!!

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Bogus Adventure posted:

Not everyone lives as clean a life as THE NATURE BOY!

WOO!!!

that documentary on him is great and also a reminder that he's about to die any day now

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like wrestling

And anime

I am the final boss of this forum please god don't hurt me

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
My younger cousin loves wrasslin and he still watches all the PPV events to this day.

He's also a little mommas boy who was never made to do anything and lost both his front teeth to a bad rear end slice of pizza cuz he was never taught dental hygene.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I like wrestling though I really need to get my arse in gear and watch AEW properly.

However, as a casual fan, the hardcore fans at q&as with ex wrestlers and indie shows are the worst people on earth. Virgins, to a man.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Wrestling looks so fun to get into but it seems like comic books: where the gently caress am I supposed to start?

Wrestlemania 1

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

moments in sports history: remember when the goth cowboy stockbroker yeeted a trash can into a dwarf dressed as a leprechaun on the grandest stage of them all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbISJCjIP5I

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Most of my friends back in the 90s were super into wrestling and as a result I kinda got pulled into it as well. They were all into superhero comics as well but I never quite got into those.

Skip forwards 25 years and the only guy from that group who still identifies as a Wrestling Aficionado is the dude who got talked into marrying a woman who worked for his parents and moving out to a remote exurb town to settle down and have kids (he used to be an edgelord who went on drunken rants about how he was never going to have kids) and spends a lot of his time sitting alone in his mancave getting drunk or stoned (when his wife lets him) and watching wrestling and reading superhero comics. He never moved past 1995 and from the outside his 'hobbies' look more like coping mechanisms for undiagnosed clinical depression. He considers himself to be a bit of an intellectual but he also thinks that Bill Hicks' monologues are still really deep and relevant.

The only other guy around my age who won't shut up about wrestling is a friend of a friend who heard somewhere that I used to be into 'classic' pro wrestling so every time he sees me he insists on spending a giant chunk of time talking about his favourite 80s wrestlers and doing impersonations of them and the old ring announcers while I just grimace and nod along and wait for him to finish.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My mom used to take my brother and I to a tiny little independent wrestling show outside of Pittsburgh about 15 years ago. It was really cool and a bunch of those guys are now on TV, so I can officially say I knew them before they were famous.

Also one time a wrestler went flying over the guardrail into my mom's lap (my mom is a tiny woman) and when she was okay he held her arm up like she just won the match. It was pretty cool.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bogus Adventure posted:

It owns, OP. It's a soap opera where people pretend to fight, burn people, or throw them in dumpsters.

you could just say soap opera. the rest is redundant

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Its for children OP

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
You know that awesome fight scene you saw last week in your show or movie?

That was fake. It didn't really happen.

How is it any different?

30+ year wrestling fan here. AEW fuckin owns.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
wrassling is for children but it's still better than its detractors just an fyi.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

this is a fun match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpOPHiSn5yI

edit: LU was choreographed to a fault (you can see slowdowns and stuff in that match) and also video edited to hell and back, but there were some legit cool technical matches and high falls and poo poo while it lasted

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 2, 2021

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Do it ironically posted:

wrestling is gay as hell (I love it), like it’s two dudes wearing speedo both roided up looking great just grappling each other and looking at the hard cam

Pretty much! :q:

That said, my favorite uncle watched (and still occasionally watches, I think) wrestling, and I think part of the appeal is watching irl trainwrecks -- WCW right before its acquisition, for example.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Personally it never occured to me to watch it, but I can see how someone might like it - its a theater of sorts

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

we have a whole subforum for it and wwe is bad so nobody enjoys it.

Sekenr posted:

Personally it never occured to me to watch it, but I can see how someone might like it - its a theater of sorts

it's mostly naked dudes soap opera with punchy face stuff.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

wrestling is awesome wtf

the wwe is obviously quite bad but if you cant find a way to enjoy the large sweaty ballet that is wrestling then thats your problem bub

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A current storyline right now is Ric Flair sabotaging his daughter's matches because he and Lacey Evans want to bang each other.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can't believe Ric Flair is alive

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I love people who like to pretend they’re too mature for wrestling and then will watch Wanda vision or argue about Star Wars. Also the sooner you realize that everything is wrestling the more you will understand about the world.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The_Rob posted:

I love people who like to pretend they’re too mature for wrestling and then will watch Wanda vision or argue about Star Wars. Also the sooner you realize that everything is wrestling the more you will understand about the world.

wrestling is actually dumber than most media, even the dumb media

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Caesar Saladin posted:

wrestling is actually dumber than most media, even the dumb media

Media is wrestling. Politics especially is wrestling.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Donald trump was the heel champion for the past 4 years. He cut the best promos easy. The dems needed a face to build up but wanted to force the corporate approved champion rather than the champion the people actually wanted. So now we have a new champion that’s not actually over but they’re going to pretend he is. Meaning the heels will
Probably be getting cheered over the faces right now and will lead to another heel champ next election.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Faces are boring, heels are where it's at

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Hitler was a heel

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Remember that time hulk hogan destroyed gawker?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i watched 2 weeks ago's AEW dynamite episode and lol'd a lot.

gonna watch last weeks episode today and get the LIVE EXPERIENCE tomorrow

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The greatest fight ever involved a pro wrestler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgOs4PsiyIw

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The_Rob posted:

Donald trump was the heel champion for the past 4 years. He cut the best promos easy. The dems needed a face to build up but wanted to force the corporate approved champion rather than the champion the people actually wanted. So now we have a new champion that’s not actually over but they’re going to pretend he is. Meaning the heels will
Probably be getting cheered over the faces right now and will lead to another heel champ next election.

lol

wrestling did not invent the concept of telling stories of "good guy vs bad guy" hth

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

EorayMel posted:

Remember that time hulk hogan destroyed gawker?

Straight down from the top rope

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

bradzilla posted:

lol

wrestling did not invent the concept of telling stories of "good guy vs bad guy" hth

Yeah it did actually.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Bernie sanders got turned into a meme and like a true worker had T-shirts ready to go in a day or two.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

The_Rob posted:

The dems needed a face to build up but wanted to force the corporate approved champion rather than the champion the people actually wanted.

LOL if you actually believe this

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
gonna go ahead and say shut the gently caress up about politics itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The_Rob posted:

Yeah it did actually.

would love to see your source on this lmao