Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So Danann is probably the daughter of Skull Knight and the Lady Priestess, right? Though considering she's an elf, she could be the mother I suppose. The way she acted towards Skull Knight is interesting and there's an implicit relationship there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This manga is for pedophiles.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pewdiepie posted:

Strange I'm pretty sure he was one of the manga creators who didn't welcome a noted pedophile back to the fold

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

why probe a man for speaking the truth?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, let's not do this loving dumb song-and-dance again.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Ccs posted:

Oh, finally some story progress! Since moonlight child is Griffith, maybe we'll finally have some kind of showdown or something. Interested to see if Caska meets the child this time now that she's in her right mind.

yeah this has to be an diversion by griffith. I bet there is going to be a quiet chapter or maybe two with moon baby, caska and guts. Then surprise its griffith there with his mixed human and monster army. And then we are going to have the most beautiful two page spreads of unicorns fighting monsters. I can't wait. It might even happen this year.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Captain_duck posted:

yeah this has to be an diversion by griffith. I bet there is going to be a quiet chapter or maybe two with moon baby, caska and guts. Then surprise its griffith there with his mixed human and monster army. And then we are going to have the most beautiful two page spreads of unicorns fighting monsters. I can't wait. It might even happen this year.

I don't think Griffith is going to show up for that. As we've seen before if he can avoid it he doesn't show up in person unless he it makes him look like the big hero. So he's probably going to delegate the task to Sophia and Zodd for the assault.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly I think that Griffith showing up and burning Elfheim down is lazy and predictable, and robs Guts of what has been set up as a really character defining choice for him. Here he is, having accomplished his stated goals. Casca is healed, he's protected by the island's magic from the curse of the brand, and the rest of his party seems happy living in a virtual paradise. If he is really over his desire for revenge as he's stated, then that should be enough. But it's clear that he really isn't over his revenge, is getting really antsy about sticking around doing nothing, and cannot currently really interact with Casca much at all because the mere sight or sound of him sends her into a PTSD-induced shock. Skully showing up once again also reinforces this as if Guts does give into revenge and leaves to go after Griffith, it's very likely that means following the same path as him.

My guess is that the child will magically calm Casca - similar to how it sort of did when she was insane - such that while it is around she can interact with Guts somewhat normally. And then when the child inevitably vanishes after the full moon is over, Guts will leave the island under the pretext of finding the child, but with the undercurrent that it also allows him to continue to entertain the fantasy of revenge.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Guts going on an insane quest to try and save his child from Griffith would be a pretty good beat to follow from this.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Nice to see that the memory was, indeed, an eclipse. Some people doubted that it was.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

ETURNA posted:

Nice to see that the memory was, indeed, an eclipse. Some people doubted that it was.

Did they? It seemed so obvious from the last chapter, what with the Godhand appearing and all the spooky walls made out of spirits and stuff.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Anyone think Guts has it in him to kill the moonchild should he find out that the child is Griffith

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Hilario Baldness posted:

Anyone think Guts has it in him to kill the moonchild should he find out that the child is Griffith

At this point nah. In their first encounter? Probably.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Behelits have activated over despair for children before. Of anyone in the party, Casca has unresolved rage, particularly over potential realizations about a lost child.

On the other hand, if the moon child is able to teleport Casca away from the island, Guts will probably go to save her.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That would suck immensely
After years of casca being a husk damseling her immediately after she came back would be poo poo move

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah I don't see either of those things happening.

I do think the idea that they'll go after Griffith to save their child is a good one, though. I can see the group going along with that. Before that was brought up as a possibility, I couldn't see them going after Griffith in a way that fit with the story's overall themes while still leading to a potentially happy ending. But going for the sake of their child and not just to feed Guts' feelings of vengeance and rage is really good.

So much of this story has been dark and horrible and traumatic already, I don't see the need for more of that. Add to that the consistent themes of healing and hope that have been getting stronger since the group got together, and I honestly see this story as having a mostly happy ending. These characters absolutely deserve it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I followed berserk for 30 years and all i got was this downer copout ending

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I figure there has to be one more duel between Guts and Griffith, rule of threes and all that.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

It'd be corny but I'd like an ending in which Guts is forced into a position where he could kill Griffith but at the cost of the lives of his friends who are in some other danger. He'd realise that doing so would make him the same as Griffith and so he'd give up his chance of revenge.

Then Caska outta nowhere shanks Griffith

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They're going to put Griffith down out of respect for the man (they thought) he was, not revenge, imo.

Griffith will probably accept it like Light in Death Note.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The darkest ending is Griffith being forgiven and embraced in a group hug.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Viridiant posted:

So much of this story has been dark and horrible and traumatic already, I don't see the need for more of that.
There was a collection of scary dick monsters just a short while ago, Casca seeing only the eclipse when she looks at Guts, his armor taking control and echoing anther eclipse, ongoing battles led by Griffith and the war beasts, an attempt to kill Rickert, ...

(And the general state of the real world right now is not exactly booming economies leading to endless parties, early retirement, and decades of leisurely health.)

(I need to look back at that final panel but something about that walk struck me as more aggressive than usual for that character. It didn't seem like a welcoming face, but I may be misremembering.)

Are we reading the same manga? :munch:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

There was a collection of scary dick monsters just a short while ago, Casca seeing only the eclipse when she looks at Guts, his armor taking control and echoing anther eclipse, ongoing battles led by Griffith and the war beasts, an attempt to kill Rickert, ...

(And the general state of the real world right now is not exactly booming economies leading to endless parties, early retirement, and decades of leisurely health.)

(I need to look back at that final panel but something about that walk struck me as more aggressive than usual for that character. It didn't seem like a welcoming face, but I may be misremembering.)

Are we reading the same manga? :munch:

Yeah bad things still happen, sure. The story isn't over, of course there are still obstacles. My point was that I don't see the point of the group going through something else on the same level of trauma and absolute horror that was the Eclipse. Casca using a behelit would absolutely break Guts, and would seem needlessly cruel to me on the part of the storyteller. I don't see a move like that coming from the same manga that has allowed characters like Rickert, Luca, and Erica to live for so long. If the story were that mean spirited those characters would have been killed a long time ago, in my view.

Characters like Guts, Casca and Fernese have already experienced their traumatic moments, the story is now about their journey to heal from that trauma, not have more traumatic moments where they're completely hosed over stack up on them.

That said I would not be surprised if there -was- another Eclipse, but I do not see it going as badly for Guts and Casca as the first one. I do see it going horribly for the badguys. When they next confront Griffith and his monsters it will be horrible, but they will be doing it from a position of power. Not as victims.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I still think it's going to be Rickert who does in Griffith. He's shed his tears, made his graveyard and moved on. He's also seen just what Griffith has become after geting his drat castle so as a former hawk he still has an oblgation to deal witb him.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Whatever path lies forward for guts, id think the best one would be one where he doesnt have to fight anymore, or at the least learn to not fight alone and not shoulder everything on himself. A chance for both him and casca to become free of their trauma.

Which is why im a fan of rickert being the one to end it. It deprives griffith of his grand battle and shields guts from further pain.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i just hope Guts can be happy

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't the fight with Ganishka basically a behelit-triggered mini-apocalypse?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Its been ages since i read it, but that was my impression, yeah.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't the fight with Ganishka basically a behelit-triggered mini-apocalypse?

Close enough to. Ganishka was as close to the god hand as an apostle could get it seemed like and did create a mini eclipse that turned him into a super ent.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I hope the end will still be Guts and Caska versus Griffith but I don't think it'll be some mega-fight where they duel at the top of Falconia while the rest of the gang fight Zodd et al, just because that would be exactly what Griffith would want in that situation and I think Griffith's fate is going to be much more wretched than that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah when ganishka exploded the force was so great it merged the material and spirit worlds.
Or very large areas of overlap.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Pierson posted:

I hope the end will still be Guts and Caska versus Griffith but I don't think it'll be some mega-fight where they duel at the top of Falconia while the rest of the gang fight Zodd et al, just because that would be exactly what Griffith would want in that situation and I think Griffith's fate is going to be much more wretched than that.

Honestly, I think the endgame will definitely involve Guts fighting a lot, but I think Guts' great end fight will be with Zodd, not Griffith.

Zodd is basically the fated enemy of Guts at this point. They've had several clashes, they hold immense respect for each other, hell, they even begrudgingly teamed up at one point. They're the closest to equals; while Skull Knight obviously also has a sort of rivalry with Zodd, he's always had his sights set on Void in the end, often leaving Zodd in the dust as he did his thing. When Zodd goes out, I think it will be in a legendary fight with Guts, an end that he would want as an honorable warrior.

Now, mind, there will definitely be a confrontation with Griffith, but I don't think it will be a straight duel. I don't think that would be the point. Instead, I expect something else to bring down Griffith, and in the end, the other character with a mayor revenge story might be his end: Rickert. It's almost comical how much Rickert's story matches a more classic hero tale: grow up under his hero, then disaster strikes; years later, he discovers the hero was actually responsible for the disaster; he rejects the hero, escapes with his life, then goes to train with secret ninja clans to get his revenge (and protect those he loves).

Guts and Casca will likely learn to move on, probably, considering the themes of self-destructive revenge. Guts has destroyed himself physically and mentally in the pursuit of pure, self-serving revenge; whereas Rickert's revenge is depicted as a defense (Griffith, or his henchmen, tried to kill him first), and more noble (Rickert acts to protect his loved ones - Guts didn't act to protect Casca at first). It only makes sense that Guts and Casca can break the circle of violence. And honestly, they deserve it.

Griffith deserves poo poo, give Rickert a glorious kill and then have Void laugh at him

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
If Guts absolutely has to fight Griffith I hope it's like their fight in the snow when Guts beat him the first time. Griffith gets left behind in the snow in shock at his defeat, and Guts walks away, same as before.

But this time, Guts doesn't walk away alone.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I think Sonia will take down Griffith through mass influence after coming to hate him (she, after all, isn't an apostle and/or tied to the Godhand). If suddenly most of Falconia despised Griffith that would have to lessen his grip.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm there for Rickert getting the kill, that would own.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Give me a Rickert piloting a mecha Miura!!!

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'd love it if the behelit turned out to be Sonia's and she sacrifices Griffith.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm still of the mind that Griffith isn't actually going to get killed, and there might not even be a real showdown between him and guts (Guts had surpassed mortal Griffith pretty hard in terms of swordplay last time they fought legit, and Femto has bullshit powers that he still can manages to struggle against.) But more that it's going to conclude with basically the same thing that happened at the end of the Wilde fight, but on a grander scale: Guts and crew are going to show all of Griffith's followers the truth of what Griffith is and was reduced to. That he's not really their perfect savior and that he's just a lovely, broken man below it all.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The villains in the story are the godhand and the human condition. Griffith is a pawn like everyone else. The godhand were around before his time and killing griffith changes nothing in the greater scheme of things. If I had to speculate, griffith gets reverted to his pre-eclipse form and casca/guts gets unbranded. But I don't see why the midland population would care if griffith is defeated. He exists because of their desire. Guts wants to see griffith punished but it hasn't been established that anyone else does. I don't even think casca hates griffith. I think the story requires more development in that area if that is the case. Outside of the whole casca thing, guts and griffith are equal in "badness". Its just we see the story from guts pov so we sympathize when he kills children or assaults women. I think the story is about avoiding moral judgement and the potential for good/bad in everyone. Guts's whole narrative is currently about overcoming his inner demon. The only difference between guts and griffith is guts never had any hope to manipulate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

big yikes to almost all of that