Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

For the record, I tried this (I think this was what I did) but it made those free wifi networks that have a captive portal page unusable, places like McD's, Starbucks, and whatnot.

I'll have to test next time I'm near a Starbucks. I'm not sure I've been to one since I started using NextDNS in my Private DNS setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Now I don't get what's going on with assistant and the youtube app AT ALL.

"Open <URL link to specific video>" is just opening the youtube app and nothing else.

Tried using a desktop bookmark instead, but it opens in chrome instead of youtube!

Why is this so impossible?

eSporks fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 19, 2021

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

wondering if there's a Chrome extension that is like the current Hangouts extension?

Messages for Web. It's not an extension, just a page, but if you install the PWA it acts just like the extension.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Does Messages for web still require your phone? I remember trying it at work because I had no reception at my desk, but it didn't work like Hangouts in that specific way.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

sourdough posted:

Does Messages for web still require your phone? I remember trying it at work because I had no reception at my desk, but it didn't work like Hangouts in that specific way.

Yes, and it even bitches and moans when it cannot locate your phone or if it's off WiFi.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sourdough posted:

Not if you're on Fi. If you're on Fi, it works like Hangouts does with your messages in the cloud.

If you're not on Fi, then the question doesn't apply which is if a Fi user transitions from Voice in Hangouts, is there an equivalent to the Hangouts extension for the PC for messages.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

So, you can turn a youtube playlist into an RSS feed.

Did that.
The reader loads the first (oldest) 15 videos then stops and never updates.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

eSporks posted:

So, you can turn a youtube playlist into an RSS feed.

Did that.
The reader loads the first (oldest) 15 videos then stops and never updates.

Does that still work? I used to do that, but they stopped updating years ago (after Google shut down Reader and then shut down all the RSS feeds in YouTube).

Seriously, closing Reader had so many ripple effects.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ahh maybe that's it. I just found that method suggested on a google search. I came across a lot of other depreciated features too. You used to be able to change the direction a playlist plays with a url string, but not anymore.

It's really starting to feel like google/youtube have stripped any ability to do what I want to do. I just want to easily play a daily video while avoiding having to interact with the algorithm trying to serve me something else. But I guess they intentionally do not want that.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 20, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I would add playlists to my library and they sorted by newest updated, so I would see quickly if there's new content for me to watch. It was a way for me to follow content without subscribing to a channel. It now only sorts them either alphabetically or order I added them, making that useless.

Weirdly, it still works on my parents' Roku, so I have that at least.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I like a lot that I can 'subscribe' to youtube channels in NewPipe and it's entirely local (you can't even log in in the app). You can also bin the channels into different groups for checking out what's new at different times. That list seems to be sorted newest first, whether you want it or not.

You can entirely stop autoplay, hide comments, hide next and similar videos and hide app tabs with content you didn't explicitly search or ask for. The superior youtube experience imo.

Don't know if/how you can get assistant to launch any of it though.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

I like a lot that I can 'subscribe' to youtube channels in NewPipe and it's entirely local (you can't even log in in the app). You can also bin the channels into different groups for checking out what's new at different times. That list seems to be sorted newest first, whether you want it or not.

You can entirely stop autoplay, hide comments, hide next and similar videos and hide app tabs with content you didn't explicitly search or ask for. The superior youtube experience imo.

Don't know if/how you can get assistant to launch any of it though.
I'll check this out, thanks. The quick launch is ideal, but the main goal is just ease of access and avoiding the interface designed to deliver everything except what I want, especially in the groggy morning. So that app might work.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

New pipe still displays the bookmarked playlist in oldest first order. Interface is cleaner and easier than YouTube though. I can at least access the newest video from the main channel feed easier.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 20, 2021

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

eSporks posted:

New pipe still displays the bookmarked playlist in oldest first order. Interface is cleaner and easier than YouTube though. I can at least access the newest video from the main channel feed easier.
I figured having a playlist would get supplanted by using a channel group as far as checking what's new on multiple channels goes, but people seriously have different ways to go about these things and I don't use playlists in general, so yeah, I don't know the ins and outs of that in particular.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The channel just has lots of content, and I'm really only interested in one playlist from it.

It's also part of a relaxation thing for me, so the idea is to just play the video with minimal phone interaction.

New pipe is significantly easier and cleaner to use. Best solution yet, thanks.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Oh yeah, searching within or filtering a channel feed and saving that setting somehow would be a great feature that seems to be lacking. Didn't know you could setup something like that through playlists in the native app.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

What's the best way to get Whatsapp video calling working on an Android device that doesn't have an attached phone number?

I got a Kindle Fire 10 HD for Christmas and would like to use it for video calls with the family instead of my phone. Unfortunately Whatsapp requires a phone number to work properly - the web client doesn't include things like video calling.

I'm in the UK so can't get a Google Voice number and using another video calling service isn't an option as Whatsapp is the only one we've been able to teach my 80 year old technophobe Granda how to use.

I think I can set the Kindle as my "verified" device by using the authorisation code that gets sent to my phone, then switch back after the call which is slightly annoying but it's what I'll try in the absence of any better solution.

Any other ideas?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Party Boat posted:

What's the best way to get Whatsapp video calling working on an Android device that doesn't have an attached phone number?

If you've already got it working on your phone and you're comfortable getting & using ADB on a PC, you could try backing up the app data from your phone and restoring it on the tablet and see if that works. If you're at all familiar with the windows command line, it shouldn't be that difficult.

https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/
https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/182381/is-it-possible-to-backup-and-restore-an-app-with-data-via-adb

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

LastInLine posted:

Not if you're on Fi. If you're on Fi, it works like Hangouts does with your messages in the cloud.

If you're not on Fi, then the question doesn't apply which is if a Fi user transitions from Voice in Hangouts, is there an equivalent to the Hangouts extension for the PC for messages.

But I'm NOT on Fi, so the question DOES apply. I'm not a Fi user going from Voice in Hangouts, I'm a regular Google Voice user )going from Voice in Hangouts to Messages.

I'll give it a shot either way.

Edit: Nope, not working, Voice isn't letting me forward texts to Messages, my carrier number is greyed out in the Voice options to forward. I've turned off Voice messaging in Hangouts , but it didn't seem to take...it's set as Off in settings, but I can still text in the Hangouts app and in the web extension. Voice is ALSO letting me text from its app, when previously it wouldn't, it had a message to text from Hangouts since I had forwarding turned on, so now it's a weird "either app will work" state...odd

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 21, 2021

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

But I'm NOT on Fi, so the question DOES apply. I'm not a Fi user going from Voice in Hangouts, I'm a regular Google Voice user )going from Voice in Hangouts to Messages.

I'll give it a shot either way.

Edit: Nope, not working, Voice isn't letting me forward texts to Messages, my carrier number is greyed out in the Voice options to forward. I've turned off Voice messaging in Hangouts , but it didn't seem to take...it's set as Off in settings, but I can still text in the Hangouts app and in the web extension. Voice is ALSO letting me text from its app, when previously it wouldn't, it had a message to text from Hangouts since I had forwarding turned on, so now it's a weird "either app will work" state...odd

Ah sorry, I didn't realize there were still Voice users in Hangouts but not on Fi. In that case no, there's nothing like it (even though it's obvious they could do it, since there's not really a distinction between Voice with Fi or without, but whatever).

Comedy option is to create a shortcut in Chrome to the Voice webpage and resize the resulting window so that only the left pane with messages is viewable (if it collapses that way, obviously I didn't try this).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

LastInLine posted:

Ah sorry, I didn't realize there were still Voice users in Hangouts but not on Fi. In that case no, there's nothing like it (even though it's obvious they could do it, since there's not really a distinction between Voice with Fi or without, but whatever).

Comedy option is to create a shortcut in Chrome to the Voice webpage and resize the resulting window so that only the left pane with messages is viewable (if it collapses that way, obviously I didn't try this).

Yeah looks like my best/only option is the Voice website, which has its own level of suck because you can't paste images into it from the clipboard.

I got a lot of memes to send to a lot of people, and now instead of just right-clicking copy+paste, I have to save them all in a folder somewhere and then use the "insert image" button in the Voice website. Cumbersome and slow.

I'm probably switching carriers in a month or two so I might just port my GV number to a new phone plan and have it be a regular number.

I tried to use Fi a little over a year ago but Google was 100% unable to ever port my number from GV to Fi. Tried like half a dozen times over the course of almost a month, never worked.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Anyone use this Twitch client called Twire?

I used it for a bit on my piece of crap Android 4.4 tv without Google services until a later release broke the app - staying with the latest working release worked decently enough until I lost that apk, and now I can't seem to find that release anywhere. The source code and tarball for that release are still available, but I don't know poo poo about programming and getting a new TV is not an option.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Max Coveri posted:

Anyone use this Twitch client called Twire?

I used it for a bit on my piece of crap Android 4.4 tv without Google services until a later release broke the app - staying with the latest working release worked decently enough until I lost that apk, and now I can't seem to find that release anywhere. The source code and tarball for that release are still available, but I don't know poo poo about programming and getting a new TV is not an option.

It's on F-Droid as "Version 2.9.2 (522) suggested Added on 2020-12-24" which I haven't heard anything particularly negative about as a third party apk site for devices with no play store. I'm not sure if that's the version you're having problems with, though:
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.perflyst.twire/

The twire github links to F-Droid as a place to get it.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Rexxed posted:

It's on F-Droid as "Version 2.9.2 (522) suggested Added on 2020-12-24" which I haven't heard anything particularly negative about as a third party apk site for devices with no play store. I'm not sure if that's the version you're having problems with, though:
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.perflyst.twire/

The twire github links to F-Droid as a place to get it.

I'm aware of that, I got it from F-Droid. The last version I could use was 2.519. They had a new release hours ago and still haven't fixed the crash at login.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I don't know all the details, it sounds like Google services is a hurdle, have you tried microG as a Google services replacement? https://github.com/microg/GmsCore

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Anyone have issues with Google Voice app not "seeing" downloaded images?

I click on the image button on Voice to send a pic, but if an image is in the Downloads folder, it doesn't show. Images in other folders do, and other apps, like Hangouts and Messages, also see all the images in downloads.

Cleared app cache, reinstalled, verified it has all file permissions, it still is "blind" to that folder. Other apps even allow browsing to other folders, bit not voice...sure do love Google abandoning the much better functionality all-around of Hangouts.

Edit: And now I'm not getting message notifications on Voice after the reinstall. Quadruple checked, and Voice is the default app , all notifications on, sound and vibrate... But I get nothing until I open Voice, then a toast notification at the bottom of the screen appears saying how many messages I missed.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 25, 2021

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

hot date tonight! posted:

I don't know all the details, it sounds like Google services is a hurdle, have you tried microG as a Google services replacement? https://github.com/microg/GmsCore

I'd heard about that - will try it, thanks for the link.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
My pixel 2 could record my camera feeds in tinycam pro no problem. But no matter what mp4muxer I choose (or any other seemingly relevant settings I can find) it won't record on my pixel 4a 5G, just get black/green screen with some pixeling artefacts.
Is there some hardware codec I'm missing with the more budget chip in the 4a?

It's a bit annoying and disappointing.

Any other decent IP camera apps I could try out as an alternative?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oh, hey, Android Auto will read back my mother's texts in Polish with the voice of a man with a pleasing Polish accent. I'm not sure if this is a new thing as she hadn't sent a single text message before last summer, but I'm pleasantly surprised after all the times I've been disappointed by Auto.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I have $26 in play credit from surveys. What's worth buying for general use? Seems like everything can be done for free.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Chrome has a new way of dealing with tabs that I'm going to have to get used to. But what I don't like it clicking on links will open them in a tab group with the original site and that is royally messing with me. How do I turn it off?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

I have $26 in play credit from surveys. What's worth buying for general use? Seems like everything can be done for free.

I mostly just use my credits for buying ad free versions of apps I use. I used to use it a lot to buy random crap in Pokemon Go, but I haven't touched that in about a year now.

Uthor posted:

Chrome has a new way of dealing with tabs that I'm going to have to get used to. But what I don't like it clicking on links will open them in a tab group with the original site and that is royally messing with me. How do I turn it off?

Seconded. I've been using Chrome on my phone a lot more lately and that's been bugging me too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

I mostly just use my credits for buying ad free versions of apps I use. I used to use it a lot to buy random crap in Pokemon Go, but I haven't touched that in about a year now.

Nova, bonus items in Marvel Puzzle Quest, TV shows, mp3s, in that order.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Soysaucebeast posted:

Seconded. I've been using Chrome on my phone a lot more lately and that's been bugging me too.

Great now I have to decide if the apps I use are the best versions of that app! Anything better than Podcast Addict? Been using Simply for Facebook and Relay for Reddit.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

KingKapalone posted:

You can use play credit to pay for Google One storage, which is $2 a month for 100gb.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You can use play credit to pay for Google One storage, which is $2 a month for 100gb.

You can also use it to rent/buy movies and TV episodes on Google Play.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

Uthor posted:

Go to "chrome://flags" and search for "Tab Groups" and switch any flag coming up to "disabled" (three flags for me in total). Then restart Chrome.
WARNING: Chrome tabs will then behave as before, you are "loosing" all the new behavior (which I didn't like).

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This is what mine goes on. As long as I go to tescos a couple of times a week the surveys cover it

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Loki Kunti posted:

Go to "chrome://flags" and search for "Tab Groups" and switch any flag coming up to "disabled" (three flags for me in total). Then restart Chrome.
WARNING: Chrome tabs will then behave as before, you are "loosing" all the new behavior (which I didn't like).

You're amazing. I had no idea that Chrome://whatever was even a thing. I should dig into the code a bit more I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

So uh, anyone else had Discord's Android client go sideways in terms of optimization in the last month or so? My phone is not exactly nice (Honor 7X) but something has ramped Discord up to over 10% of my total battery usage on its own (hardware/software combined) and has my phone running hot enough to feel it through the external case. Burning through a full charge in less than 10 hours including idle time if Discord is running ; killing it and just leaving it on my desk for RiF and Awful significantly extends it. Nothing on my phone has changed usage patterns or resource usage, I haven't installed or removed any apps since early December, and a couple other friends have reported the same thing. (e: also I have never made a call on Discord via mobile, so it isn't that)

Did they just jack up the last update? No responses on reporting it or asking around outside my circle.

e: remembered I still have CPU-Z on this thing for some reason to see what's up on the hardware end. Second "core" (renders as a cluster of 4 threads with clock speeds matched, it claims to be an 8-core but I get the feeling that's about as real as my old Bulldozer CPU) stays pinned at maximum clock speed, and that's where the temperature draw is coming from; the rest of the phone is relatively normal. "Only" 35 C so we're not melting yet.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 2, 2021