Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Splint Chesthair posted:

It’s $19 good, but not $39 good, if that helps.

Is the four bucks it costs to watch it good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Is the four bucks it costs to watch it good?

It’s worth $4 at the absolute least, yes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s so much fun. Lots of great lines and it ends with a rap over the credits. Bonus points for being a rare movie with kids that aren’t just bearable, but actually some of the best parts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a madcap sincerely made gory comedy movie about family. It owns.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
VFW is $12 at Walmart, so if I hold of for a whole year I can get Psycho Goreman at Walmart for $12 :thunk:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Can anyone recommend a cheap UHD player? I’d like to take advantage of my TV and digital isn’t cutting it for 4K HDR stuff.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/warner-archive-press-release-thundarr-the-barbarian-complete-series-blu-ray.370916/

Blu ray of Thundarr coming out apparently - no release date yet though.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Irritated Goat posted:

Can anyone recommend a cheap UHD player? I’d like to take advantage of my TV and digital isn’t cutting it for 4K HDR stuff.

The SONY UBP-X700 is $178 on Amazon right now. If you don't care about having to switch Dolby Vision on/off manually, it's a good player.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Heat is getting a UHD release in May: https://twitter.com/GeekGab_/status/1356656033217695745

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
So excited for the adventures of Detective John Heat in 4K

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Any news on Contact (1997) going 4K?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

gently caress YES

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Glad I waited. Ready to watch this in surround sound for the first time too.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

If you've never watched Heat in 5.1 (or better), you've never watched Heat.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
loving finally! Apple had a 4K copy right around the time the Blu-Ray came out. That’s a day one for me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I find it interesting that I care so much about picture quality but so little about audio quality. Everything could be in mono for all I care, but there will be hell to pay if there's too much DNR!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Looks like LOTR 4k back in stock on Best Buy, and they price match amazon’s $80 price.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Disney backpedaling on the "We're not doing 4K discs, especially the Fox catalog," lying dormant for months and then coming out of the gate with motherfucking HEAT is the only correct choice they could have made. I'm gonna buy the poo poo outta that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Now, just gimme Aliens in UHD

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Someone give me all your stupid Disney codes so I can get the Emperor’s New Groove 2-pack for free

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Iron Crowned posted:

Now, just gimme Aliens in UHD

All the Cameron stuff is stuck in limbo until he approves it. He’s too busy making Avatar 2 thru 50 to care.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

feedmyleg posted:

I find it interesting that I care so much about picture quality but so little about audio quality. Everything could be in mono for all I care, but there will be hell to pay if there's too much DNR!

it's more feasible to have a nice TV and the space for it than to have the space for a proper 5.1 setup for a lot of people. especially us apartment dwellers than can only support a 2.1 soundbar setup. is what it is.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I find the setup for great audio too tedious and therefore just use a sound bar. Once I settle into a home this year maybe I'll try setting it up but I've no idea what I'm doing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spatulater bro! posted:

If you've never watched Heat in 5.1 (or better), you've never watched Heat.

I don’t think I’ve ever even seen it in widescreen, pretty sure I only ever watched it in my bedroom at my parents house when it was on TV in 98 or so. Nice to revisit stuff after so long, for sure.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I remember the first time a friend showed me the big heist scene on VHS or DVD (it was the late 90s/early 00s). I hadn't seen the movie yet and I flipped out when people started firing off their guns and it sounded different from every action movie gun I'd heard before.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I don't think I've ever watched Heat without going to bed right after

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just stole a bunch of my niece’s Disney codes (not the digital copy, just the DMR). She had questions. I had answers.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My brother worked at Blockbuster Online and the Disney DVDs came in retail packages, including the rewards codes. He trained the floor employees to set those codes aside so he could collect them for himself later. He got deep in the trader world of DMR codes. Rarer DVDs were significantly more valuable because of how you could only use 1 title code per mailing address or something at the time, so you got into things like "I'll trade you five of these for one of those." He got as far as being able to get poo poo like the Pirates of the Caribbean branded Epiphone SG.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Shiroc posted:

My brother worked at Blockbuster Online and the Disney DVDs came in retail packages, including the rewards codes. He trained the floor employees to set those codes aside so he could collect them for himself later. He got deep in the trader world of DMR codes. Rarer DVDs were significantly more valuable because of how you could only use 1 title code per mailing address or something at the time, so you got into things like "I'll trade you five of these for one of those." He got as far as being able to get poo poo like the Pirates of the Caribbean branded Epiphone SG.

That's amazing.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Electronics retail employees can get access to a lot of partner websites where you might have giveaways, or a quiz system which provides points for free/discounted goods.

One of the best was Intel’s, especially back in the day. I had a coworker who had signed up under 5-6 different people, and would do the quizzes and then buy the bundles and turn around and rack up the money on eBay. Motherboard, top-end CPUs, sometimes a copy/copies of Windows as well. He paid for like... a year of school through this hustle.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

caligulamprey posted:

Disney backpedaling on the "We're not doing 4K discs, especially the Fox catalog," lying dormant for months and then coming out of the gate with motherfucking HEAT is the only correct choice they could have made. I'm gonna buy the poo poo outta that.

Didn't Disney already say the talk of no 4K discs wasn't true anyway? I thought they said it would just be a case by case basis on the stuff they got demand for.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Rocco posted:

Didn't Disney already say the talk of no 4K discs wasn't true anyway? I thought they said it would just be a case by case basis on the stuff they got demand for.

That was the official line, but because it seemed in response to one or two nobodies on one of the message boards claiming to have sources inside the home video division that totally blew up, everyone weirdly panicked at their response and went the other direction because they don't trust Disney or something. It was particularly funny to watch people panic while someone else said "I *actually* did work for them and I worked on 2 releases for 2021 that haven't even been announced yet, chill out" and nobody believed him for reasons(?). Who knows if these were what they were talking about, or if we have more coming. But Disney probably isn't hating the idea of everyone declaring they're gonna buy the hell out of these to "show demand for more".

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Space_Butler posted:

That was the official line, but because it seemed in response to one or two nobodies on one of the message boards claiming to have sources inside the home video division that totally blew up, everyone weirdly panicked at their response and went the other direction because they don't trust Disney or something. It was particularly funny to watch people panic while someone else said "I *actually* did work for them and I worked on 2 releases for 2021 that haven't even been announced yet, chill out" and nobody believed him for reasons(?). Who knows if these were what they were talking about, or if we have more coming. But Disney probably isn't hating the idea of everyone declaring they're gonna buy the hell out of these to "show demand for more".

It still doesn't make sense that they won't lend out Fox catalog titles to repertory theaters. It's basically free money for them. I hope they don't do some insane poo poo like junking a whole bunch of film prints of classic and important films.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It seems like Disney is smart enough to restore/preserve their catalog, they just never release any of it. A lot of their animated features have crisp fresh transfers on Disney+, including Black Cauldron which never had a release beyond DVD.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Looks like Speed is getting a UHD release in May. That's a day 1 purchase for me.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

When Cineplex in Canada listed movies available to watch in private screenings because of the pandemic I was heartbroken to see that Heat was not on the list (not that theatres are open right now anyways) so this is a nice consolation prize :) Now do the rest of Mann's catalog.

Does anyone have this John Carpenter set? Appears to be no extras since there's no BDs included but it's an Australian release so that's fine. I'm not even sure if the X700 is region free.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Looks like Speed is getting a UHD release in May. That's a day 1 purchase for me.

Oh poo poo! Speed is a go-to sick day/Saturday film for me. I have a familial connection to the movie as well, day 1 for sure and poo poo, I’d buy a Steelbook.

Oh, and my Parallax View Criterion got here a few days early. So I’m pumped to check that out shortly.

RE: Carpenter collection, sorry if I’m misunderstanding but I just wanted to clarify that UHD is regionless, so presumably you’d be fine.

EDIT 2: holy crap they sent me 2!

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 5, 2021

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Basebf555 posted:

Oh man, that's just like Speed 2, but instead of being on a boat, it's on a bus!

The last great Simpsons joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Boywhiz88 posted:

RE: Carpenter collection, sorry if I’m misunderstanding but I just wanted to clarify that UHD is regionless, so presumably you’d be fine.

EDIT 2: holy crap they sent me 2!

Yeah UHD is regionless, but if I were to order a UHD/BD combo from another region then the BD would still be region locked.