Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Vega being a good character is super impressive because he's the new player POV character in the final installment of a trilogy and yet he fits in pretty seamlessly??? Like I still rolled with Liara and Garrus most of the time but it was nice to take Jimmy Vega out on certain missions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked that his hacking animation was just him kicking the console.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Vega was a good character. So was javik who was definitely the best character in ME3

Vega was my bro and a good ally.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vega is good for many reasons, including being the human squadmate who is Shepard's bro and is not Ashley or Kaiden.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
It would have been cool to get a little more time with him before the attack sequence at the beginning of the game. That whole segment was a total garbage hatchet job tho

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

It would have been cool to get a little more time with him before the attack sequence at the beginning of the game. That whole segment was a total garbage hatchet job tho

we fight or we die. THAT's the plan. :smuggo:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think Shepard's trial was supposed to constitute the entire opening act of the game but we ran out of time WHOOPS the Reapers are already here.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

PC version is getting full controller support out of the box which is nice because modding ME3 the last time I tried was kinda a pain in the rear end.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

lol that's absurd
I'm not sure if that image is a photoshop but the trailer has a lot of blown out light sources and lens flares, like they really wanted to outdo MGSV.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

I think Shepard's trial was supposed to constitute the entire opening act of the game but we ran out of time WHOOPS the Reapers are already here.

the opening of ME3 is much much worse than the ending. everything involving Earth is a confused mess- so many important questions about what the current status quo is are completely unclear until the end of Mars at least

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

ME1 was a hideous and godawful slog that I remember consisted almost entirely of driving and assaulting reporters. Just making it look better would never suffice, basically make ME2 but ME1 with a thousand percent less driving.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the opening of ME3 is much much worse than the ending. everything involving Earth is a confused mess- so many important questions about what the current status quo is are completely unclear until the end of Mars at least

The Mars section is pretty decent at least. Also after Kaiden/Ashley get injured you get this really cool scene with Liara convincing Shepard it's not her fault and the animation for her getting in Shepard's line of sight as Shepard looks away in guilt is kinda cool

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Store page posted:

Gameplay Enhancements for the First Mass Effect Game: Enjoy improved aiming and weapons balance, SFX, better Mako controls, input/controls, squad behavior, cover behavior and gameplay cameras.
Huh. I honestly expected them to only upscale the textures, slap a "next gen" filter over it and call it a day. Guess we'll have to wait and see how much of this is going to be marketing bullshit though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"better Mako controls" how do you make perfection better?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hitting a rock now sends you into low orbit.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I love the original Mako and have reservations about them changing anything in that department. :colbert:

I've seen several of the ME1 locations and it looks like they've changed the lighting, along with adding in some small bits of scenery (foliage and debris). Not huge changes but since the hardware can push more polygons, sure.

The official site has a comparison video of Virmire and the contrast between the two is noticeable. I think only the biggest action setpieces and story locations will get this treatment.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

exquisite tea posted:

Hitting a rock now sends you into low orbit.

But it already did that.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
yeah I'm very curious to see how they handle all the Mako planets. Are they still going to be like they were made in that weird early-2000s landscape generator? Will all the hills be ridiculously steep? Are all the prefabs still mostly identical or will they mix that up?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

exquisite tea posted:

It really should've been the game's mid-point or something. Send us to a bunch of planets getting wrecked by the Reapers to show the stakes (also show them as the unstoppable steamrollers they're supposed to be), then have them hit Earth to create a sense of urgency about taking it back.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i liked mass effect even though the ending sucked rear end. i want the sequel to be wrex and garrus being badass space cops instead of reapers or whatever.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
mass effect is good and cool even if the ending was eh and MEA was bad. I hope the new mass effect will be good and cool too!

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
will the remasters patch the original jack romance back in

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Hmmmm, only $150 for this! https://gear.bioware.com/products/mass-effect-legendary-cache

quote:

Mass Effect Legendary Cache – Bioware Gear Store Exclusive Version1 Wearable N7 Helmet

Includes:
1 Mass Effect Legendary Edition Metal Game Case (Game not included)
1 Morality Spinner Pin
1 N7 Acceptance Letter
2 Canvas Art Prints (Including one you can only find here at the BioWare Gear Store)
Comes in a full color custom box featuring the game’s key art[quote]

PLEASE NOTE: The Mass Effect Legendary Cache does not include the game.

N7 HELMET
It’s wearable, beautifully-detailed, faithful to the games… and yes, it lights up, too.

The star of this bundle is undoubtedly the life-sized replica of Shepard’s N7 Breather Helmet. Created with the actual 3D model used in-game and under the direct supervision of Mass Effect’s developers, it’s as authentic and believable as it gets.

It features the helmet’s carbon fiber texture and LED lights that illuminate the visor and the accents on the sides and back. And just like in the game, the choice is yours—are you Paragon Blue or Renegade Red?

N7 ACCEPTANCE LETTER
“Well. What about Shepard?”

Can you see the opening sequence in your head? Shepard aboard the Normandy. Looking at the Earth through a window. Immerse yourself in Shepard’s story before this scene, with a letter from Captain Anderson welcoming you to the N7 corps.

MORALITY SPINNER PIN
Choosing between Paragon and Renegade is easier said than done. You could be torn between what you think is honorable, and what you think somebody deserves. Ultimately, they are two parts of the same Shepard. That’s what this wearable is all about.

Use it to display your moral alignment. Or choose between order and chaos with the flick of a finger.

MASS EFFECT LEGENDARY EDITION METAL GAME CASE
The game itself isn’t part of the Mass Effect Legendary Cache. But if you have it, you can display it in this premium metal game case. And even if you don’t, the art on the case still makes it well worth showing off.

CANVAS ART PRINTS
The Mass Effect Legendary Cache includes two canvas art prints. One shows your ship, the SSV Normandy flying above the Earth. And the other - which is only available in this BioWare Gear Store Exclusive Version - features the female Commander Shepard with her Omni-Blade and N7 armor.

At least it's better than the Halo 3 helmet, they claim humans can actually wear this one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Game not included :lol:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Game not included :lol:

Never change, EA :allears:

ErrEff posted:

At least it's better than the Halo 3 helmet, they claim humans can actually wear this one.

Hopefully the lining won't get mouldy like the Fallout one.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Thought about buying the Mass Effect remaster but don't have $60-$150 to drop on a decade-old game? Or maybe you already own the entire trilogy and can't justify buying them again, even for HD graphics? Or perhaps you're just interested in spicing up a game series you've already played 25 times over (Engineer Shep no pistol no powers GOGOGO)?

...it's the lens flares, isn't it? Jesus you're gonna blow out someone's eyes with all that post-processing!

There has to be another way!

The Mass Effect trilogy, being possibly the last good Bioware games ever, has a small but incredibly dedicated mod community. Over the last few years they have produced a ton of content for all three original trilogy Mass Effect games, including gameplay tweaks, 4k textures and even new missions and content! Better yet, they've created an incredibly easy-to-use community mod manager that handles all the complicated bits of modding with a literal drag-and-drop interface.

Obviously it's early days yet but the community expects that the Legendary Edition won't be moddable at all. Chances are, if you want mods you'll have to use the original versions.

If you want to check it out for yourself, then you can find pretty much everything you need - mods, tools, graphics presets - on the Nexus websites for Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3.

Otherwise, if you want to know about how it all works, read on.

MOD MANAGERS

Broadly speaking there are two different kinds of Mass Effect mod: content and textures. Most mods are content mods: they add or change dialogue, gameplay, characters, missions etc. Texture mods change texture files themselves: 4k upscales, recolours, NPC complexion tweaks and so on.

I mention this because the Mass Effect engine handles the two kinds of mod in different ways, which means that if you want to mod your game you will need two community mod managers.

ME3Tweaks Mod Manager, despite the name, is the content mod manager for all three Mass Effect games. Most mods you download will use ME3Tweaks.

ME3Tweaks can backup your installs (so if mods break your game you can revert quickly and easily), check for mod updates and download automatically, applies compatibility patches for DLC and other mods, and does all the fiddly stuff like AutoTOCs and binkw32.dll bypasses as well.

How to use:
  • Download the mod you want
  • Click-drag-and-drop the downloaded archive file (don't unzip!) onto your ME3Tweaks window
  • ME3Tweaks adds the mod into your library (you can delete the original download file now)
  • To install the mod, click the little "Apply Mod" button in the bottom right
ME3Tweaks also works as a launcher for all three games.

ALOT (A Lot Of Textures) is the texture mod manager for all three Mass Effect games. Only texture mods use ALOT. ALOT is also the name of basic upscaled texture packages for each game, made by the same people. The mod manager is included with each of the texture packages.

ALOT has similar functionality as ME3Tweaks, but for texture mods. Both mod managers can work together as well to avoid conflicts and ensure stable installations.

Thing is, the way the Mass Effect engine works means that any changes to texture data must be the last changes made. In other words once you install texture mods you can't install anything else. Trying to install or even update mods after changing the textures will break the game! ALOT and ME3Tweaks work together to make sure you don't accidentally do this.

How to use: official illustrated guide here but it's similar to ME3Tweaks - drag-and-drop the mod files onto ALOT, click "install textures" and the manager will do the rest. Again, the main thing to remember is that you should make sure you've installed all the content mods you want before using ALOT, as you can't do it afterwards!

ALOT has additional advanced settings if, for example, you don't want to install the default ALOT core packages or if you're having memory problems when running the game.

Once you've finished with texture mods you can go back to using ME3Tweaks to launch the games.

Word of warning - sometimes in old mod descriptions you'll see mention of a program called "Mass Effect Explorer". This is a mod developer tool that shouldn't be used to install mods any more. Use ME3Tweaks or ALOT!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

MODS

Okay, enough background - what Mass Effect mods are actually out there?

This is mostly the mods I use - not an exhaustive list by any means.

There actually aren't all that many content mods for Mass Effect 1 as it's apparently hard to edit. Most of them are relatively minor tweaks.

ME1 Recalibrated - the Recalibrated mod series is a set of unofficial patches for each Mass Effect game. This one fixes a lot of incorrect plot flags and quest bugs.
FemShep Appearance Consistency Project - imports the ME3 FemShep head morph into ME1. There's a ME2 version as well!
Improved Mako - changes physics behaviour for the Mako to be less bouncy. I used V1 but would consider trying the more extreme versions, as V1 was still a bit floaty
XP Rescale - reach level 60 in one playthrough
Pinnacle Station Tweaks - rebalance for Insanity challenges
Galaxy Map Trackers - shows outstanding quests on the galaxy map
No Intro Videos - no intro videos!
Faster Elevators - the elevators are faster!
Controller Support - I don't know what you want from me here!

The main draw of modding Mass Effect 1 is obviously the texture upscales, as the base textures were a hot console-port mess even on release.

ALOT - upscaled textures and lighting
A Lot Of Videos - ALOT sister project, contains upscaled videos
Mass Effect Updated/Improved Textures Mod - another texture pack that can be used alongside ALOT. It slightly edits the textures to add more detail so if you're an absolute purist, you might want to stick to just using ALOT

There are many other texture updates/reskins for individual characters, weapons, outfits etc. if you want a particular look. For example there's a nice retexture of Explorer armour for Liara that better matches her style in later games.

The modding scene for Mass Effect 2 is a little more developed, both in the number of mods available and how much those mods change the game.

ME2 Recalibrated - an unofficial patch like the others, but also includes much bigger changes: Illium, Samara and Thane are available straight away, DLC missions are gated behind plot missions, and lots of minor edits (e.g. FemShep no longer comes on to Jacob every time you talk to him)
FemShep Appearance Consistency Project - it's back, in Mass Effect 2 form
Modern Weapon Pack - backports 16 ME3 weapons so you have a choice of, like, more than two kinds of pistol
Recovered Powers - 4 new bonus powers for Shepard, salvaged from ME2 enemies
Add Powers to Squadmates - gives every squadmate 2 extra powers, and changes weapon loadout for a few of them as well. Slightly janky in implementation due to engine limitations but not buggy per se
Gameplay Tweaks ME2 Gameplay Tweaks and Improvements - not tried these but both let biotic/tech powers ignore enemy protections which I know quite a few people wanted
Same Gender Romances, FemShep and Miranda, FemShep and Jack - there are a few romance mods for squadmates available - due to the scale of changes required they are often incompatible with other mods or sometimes even other playthroughs! Not my cup of tea but they are there if you want them
Controller Support - why would you want this when the mouse and keyboard are right there? Well, here it is anyway

There are ALOT and ALOV packs for Mass Effect 2, naturally. MEUTIM has a pack that changes some squadmate textures to resemble those used in the ME2 trailers. Others are complexion tweaks for major NPCs, often with a ME3 equivalent by the same modder.

Here's where it gets juicy.

Mass Effect 3 easily has the most mods available, either because it's the easiest to mod or the game that needs it the most. These mods offer the most content and the biggest changes.

ME3 Recalibrated - an unofficial patch more like the ME1 version - bug fixes rather than content edits
Expanded Galaxy Mod - whole game mod that touches up what I would call the "connective tissue" of ME3: the Normandy, the Galaxy Map and War Assets. Customise the Normandy, visit every system from all three games, take ME2 squadmates along on missions... honestly too much to fit here. Community standard that's required for a couple of other mods
Spectre Expansion Mod - EGM expansion that adds more entries and dilemmas to the Spectre terminal. Want to authorise strapping bombs to pyjaks and pointing them at the Reapers? You can now! Also adds new enemies to the game
Miranda Mod - EMG expansion that brings Miranda onto the Normandy for the final segment of the game. Bit janky in parts but fun otherwise
Ark Mod - EGM expansion that adds a couple of new missions with Collector enemies using multiplayer maps. Difficult!
Project Variety - whole game mod that adds more NPCs to the Citadel, changes NPC outfits, fixes cosmetic bugs. Also a bit janky, and has some issues with ALOT and the game's memory management
Bonus Power Packs - adds powers from multiplayer as Bonus Powers for Shepard
Omega Hub - visit Omega after clearing the DLC
Aria Arena Mod - Omega/Citadel combo DLC for those who can't get enough Carrie-Anne Moss
Better Dreams, Shorter Dreams - changes Shepard's dream sequences to get rid of the slow-mo hide-and-seek forest
Take Earth Back, Priority Earth Overhaul - two different overhauls for the final mission in ME3. Take Earth Back is low-key, more stable and compatible with other major mods. Priority Earth Overhaul is bigger, more ambitious and buggier. Both are still being actively developed, so expect updates
Singleplayer Controller Support, MP Controller Support - mutually exclusive controller mods
BackOff - dialogue mod that adjusts how ME3 handles romances to make them easier to start, finish or avoid. Did you pick an upper-right dialogue option and accidentally end up marrying Liara? This mod stops that. Poor compability with other mods due to scale of changes, so I haven't used this
ThaneMod - one of the oldest mods, ThaneMod stops Thane from dying in the Citadel coup. Currently awaiting a major update. Also not great compatability with other mods. I haven't tried this mod either!
Same Gender Romances, FemShep and Miranda, FemShep and Jack - continuation of the ME2 mods, with the same kind of compatability issues. Not for me but some might be interested!
MEHEM, JAM, CEM, LIME - ending mods of different flavours. I don't use these mods so I don't really know what changes they make but whatever!

ALOT and ALOV have packs for Mass Effect 3. Again, there are a lot of complexion tweaks for major NPCs, and specific HD textures for individual weapons and armour.

If you look on the Nexus sites you will also see lots of ReShade presets and the like. ReShade is a generic post-processing injector that's entirely separate from content and texture modding. It's a bit out the scope of this post but if you want fancier graphical effects, then grab the framework and a preset you like and go hog wild. Unlike the other mods, you can do whatever whenever with it without potentially breaking the game.

CONCLUSION

So: as you probably guessed, a lot of this stuff - bug fixes, new graphics, ME1 gameplay tweaks - is gonna be in the Legendary Edition remaster, and to a higher (professional) standard. You could save yourself some hassle and just shell out for the remaster in three months time.

On the other hand, Warcraft 3 Reforged showed that you don't have to be an amateur mod developer working out of a bedroom to utterly gently caress a game beyond all salvaging. And if any of the new content or twists on old content strike your interest... well, that's probably not gonna make the jump to the remaster.

The original games are fairly cheap, cheaper if you wait for a sale, and if you're reading this thread chances are you already own all three anyway. If you don't mind putting in a bit of work, there's basically a community-sourced remaster right here, entirely for free.

It's worth a look.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I've got a fool's hope that maybe since they're sticking to UE3 for the remaster, the modding tools still work (or can be modified to work with little effort required) and we'll have EGM and the like back in within a few months.

Seriously, the modding scene for ME3 in particular is insane.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I added those to the OP. Thanks

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I can’t ever get back into this series after ME3. I just can’t.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I have a sneaking suspicion there's going to be extra stuff teasing at the Andromeda Initiative and/or the Destroy ending adding something to hint at the new ME game

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 2, 2021

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I added those to the OP. Thanks

no problem - thank you for the cool new thread. you can run Firebase White with me any time

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I don't think a soundtrack from a game has ever been as burned into my brain as the Mass Effect theme is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVm_ljDSdwA&t=59s

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion there's going to be extra stuff teasing at the Andromeda Initiative and/or the Destroy ending adding something to hint at the new ME game

I don't doubt it, just so they can have that stuff go viral once the game is out for some extra free marketing.

Even if it's super vague and I'm sure they haven't even finished writing whatever the new ME is supposed to be beyond "They inexplicably find Shepard's corpse, new space baddies because reasons, time to fight for [INSERT STAKES HERE]".

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I don't think a soundtrack from a game has ever been as burned into my brain as the Mass Effect theme is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVm_ljDSdwA&t=59s

ME's music is so good, dude. the three suicide mission tracks are my personal faves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8tRhgzUMo8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCk4RiKH9H0

Like hearing those going through the Suicide Mission for the first time legitimately got my heart racing, and when the achievement popped up for saving everyone I let out a whoop. game owns

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The suicide mission was incredibly good and made the boss fight at the end seem comically stupid.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Rynoto posted:

The suicide mission was incredibly good and made the boss fight at the end seem comically stupid.

yeah but then the boss fight is followed by a really good "hero and friends escape an explosion while under fire from desperate mooks" scene and I'm a sucker for that poo poo

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'd really like for the remaster to be a success because I think I have one more playthrough of the ME series in me but at this point I'd be a fool to believe it will be anything other than an unmitigated disaster. Anyone who pre-orders it is a moron that's just not capable of learning from past mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Oh yeah there's no reason to pick up the remaster until it's been out for 6mo to a year and under $10.