Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
To me, Drummer and Amos were the green beans and mashed potatoes of the show.

Nice to have on the side, completes the meal, but a little unwholesome when eaten as an entree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Where will everyone's clothes come from now the Earth is doomed?

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Where will everyone's clothes come from now the Earth is doomed?

Everyone will be forced to wear the same spacesuit day in and day out. To personalize them, people will increasingly turn to various forms of drawn art.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cara Gee is smashing it, but I feel like her presence in the show in the last two seasons has a bit of the same problem as the GOT book-adaptation problem which is that it feels like they have to keep the actor around because they are important later on, but the story doesn't actually have anything for them to do at the moment so they get a side-plot where they mope about all angsty and contemplate existence lots while occasionally adding some texture to the wider universe.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RangerKarl posted:

Everyone will be forced to wear the same spacesuit day in and day out. To personalize them, people will increasingly turn to various forms of drawn art.

Or, if they don't pay for the pro upgrade, just different hats

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey did you guys notice that Greaser in the episode? Think his name was Erich.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

TraderStav posted:

Hey did you guys notice that Greaser in the episode? Think his name was Erich.

What is this, the local?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Or, if they don't pay for the pro upgrade, just different hats

uh that sounds like the pro upgrade to me

give me my cyberpunk carbon fiber fedora, madam Avasarala, posthaste!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
If your problem with Erich is that he wasn't enough of a lunatic psychopath (The Joker isn't real and no one would follow him), I kind of don't know what to say. It is starting to worry me that so many of you seem to exclusively want to see more violent content which serves no narrative purpose. Have you all ever considered just watching blood sports, like UFC?

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

etalian posted:

I think guys can relate to the whole great pair of tits making them lose their mind and do really stupid things to try to impress the woman.

I still love the moment where he goes to drink and realizes its piss, shrugs and then keeps on drinking. They also need more Belter songs. I want some Belter Hip Hop dammit. Kinda hope it sounds like early 00's Turkish Hip Hop (see Ceza).

Slamhound posted:

Maneo’s eyeroll at Holden channeled the entire fan base.
I've turned around on Holden at this point but I loved that small moment so much.

Orange Devil posted:

No she isn't.
She's acting the hell out of this season, full stop.
Preach. Cara Gee is amazing and I always have appreciated her dedication. LOVE her Belter accent. Hoping she survives this and becomes THE new leader of the Belters, someone that has learned from the successes and mistakes of her various "fathers".

Gully Foyle posted:

I think this is one of the problems with trying to convey certain things in film. We are so used to various kinds of unnatural lighting on TV - like night-time filming that is way brighter than a real night, or set lighting, or specifically filming scenes at certain times of day to get the right light. So it's very hard to convey the skies are darker than they should be, and words don't count as much as what we see.

I wonder if they should have done something like try to simulate that red-orange dust sky we see when there are massive fires putting particulates into the air, that was so pervasive during the various bush fires/forest fires in the last couple of years.
That's what I was thinking a few pages ago. You can even use something subtle like a colour filter. Making everything orange or green during the daytime would signal to viewers that poo poo is hosed up. Easy and fairly cheap. For night, if it was me, I would experiment with grainy and dark and see how that would come across. A really bleak movie that used these effects was the Road from a few years back. That movie was insanely good at conveying a dying world with every moment and with limited dialogue. Going from something like that to Amos rising above the world and looking at the sun would have been powerful. Not taking away from the show and love the season... mainly talking about this because I have a feeling we got some filmmakers and writers in this thread.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I honestly think part of the disconnect is that the show's vfx skew more towards ~realism~ and away from ~Hollywood realism~.

This has always been a problem: see anytime someone doesn't get sucked out an airlock or when Fred spaced that guy on Tycho...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm extremely glad the show doesn't do all the awful "exciting" hollywood scifi or fight scene tropes. Like I've seen what Peach's augments can do enough times that when she's passed out in the middle of a bunch of dead bad guys I understand what happened and appreciate the show respecting its audience. Some over the top punch man style fight scene to please the Marvel crowd isn't at all why I watch the show. It's the same correct choice as cutting the first person shooter zombie run and gun parts that were apparently in the book.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

CPColin posted:

What is this, the local?

Was a callback to several pages back, apparently falling flat.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I honestly think part of the disconnect is that the show's vfx skew more towards ~realism~ and away from ~Hollywood realism~.

This has always been a problem: see anytime someone doesn't get sucked out an airlock or when Fred spaced that guy on Tycho...
This is something I've been kind of wondering. Would a nuclear winter (or whatever's going on) just look like a kind of overcast day? There's a lot of visual tricks to make you feel like something's wrong, but is that actually how they'd look?

That said, if an overcast day is accurate to what things would look like, it would help to have someone articulate that. This isn't like space physics where everyone in the setting understands what's going on. No one's seen the end of the world before. "Huh, it just looks like it's kind of overcast, but it's the end of the world, weird" seems like a fair sentiment to articulate when reflecting on the situation.

Though now that I think about it, "that's the sun Peaches," was probably trying to more elegantly communicate just that.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
And it went right over my dumb head. I assumed it was really foggy or something and it‘s a poo poo day to be in the wilderness, nothing more.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
That's probably a more realistic depiction and when I think about it is way more harrowing and depressing--every day is so overcast it looks like a heavy snow- or thunderstorm is imminent, but it's just dust in the air. Weeks, possibly months of nothing but dark, overcast skies that make you feel like you're in perpetual twilight. That sounds awful*.

*I'm including real-world severely northern artic communities in this.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Didn't they also mention it's summer time and they are getting heavy snows in the middle-US?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

etalian posted:

He was really amazing in his "Frenemy" role as Asford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck44vfyUBaE

I love how he pivots from "smarmy prick" to "telling someone off for being a smarmy prick" with no apparent difficulty. Dude's a mess of contradictions and it owns.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Didn't they also mention it's summer time and they are getting heavy snows in the middle-US?

Not sure if that came up, but I definitely remember the people at Winnepesaukee being the "winter staff"

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
It was pretty clearly already fall/winter in Baltimore. Amos and everyone else were in jackets/cold-weather clothing even before the rocks fell.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

That's probably a more realistic depiction and when I think about it is way more harrowing and depressing--every day is so overcast it looks like a heavy snow- or thunderstorm is imminent, but it's just dust in the air. Weeks, possibly months of nothing but dark, overcast skies that make you feel like you're in perpetual twilight. That sounds awful*.

*I'm including real-world severely northern artic communities in this.

or like....Seattle.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I love how he pivots from "smarmy prick" to "telling someone off for being a smarmy prick" with no apparent difficulty. Dude's a mess of contradictions and it owns.

I feel like it's less of a contradiction and just "I've earned the right to be a smarmy prick, and you haven't - shut your mouth."

Also, I love the little hand gesture he does when he says "I'm sure it was a mistake." It just takes the line from obvious sarcasm to "gently caress you".

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Neco posted:

And it went right over my dumb head. I assumed it was really foggy or something and it‘s a poo poo day to be in the wilderness, nothing more.

I also completely missed it since i assumed she was just still whacked out on the prison drugs

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eiba posted:

This is something I've been kind of wondering. Would a nuclear winter (or whatever's going on) just look like a kind of overcast day? There's a lot of visual tricks to make you feel like something's wrong, but is that actually how they'd look?

That's probably what after asteroid impacts would look like, yeah. One of those full, kinda dark overcast days, but for years on end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People are expecting instant gloom and doom, but that isn't what kills people. The rocks hit, they throw dust up into the air. Enough rocks throws enough dust to lower the amount of sunlight that gets to the ground. Some people die because of they were where the rocks hit, most people die because that dust takes a long time to settle back down. Less sunlight = less crops = less food = mass starvation over months/years.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A big enough volcano is enough to drop global temperatures for a year.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It would maybe be more like a permanent twilight on clear days, except in the immediate aftermath of whatever caused the nuclear winter. The dust would be above the level where clouds form.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Though you would think that someone would be growing crops in orbit or at a lagrange point or something. Or maybe even closer to the sun. It's a lot easier to send products out to the belt if you don't have to lift them out of Earth's gravity first. Then it would be a simple matter of the UN seizing all of that, stopping it from going to the belt and using it to feed Earthers.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

They used to grow a bunch of food on Ganymede. Key word used to.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Everyone who hates the show and acting, can you honestly tell me a show/film you did like with what you would consider good acting so I can compare tastes?

The Expanse seasons 1, 2, and 3

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

TraderStav posted:

Was a callback to several pages back, apparently falling flat.

I got you. It was a callback to another legendary argument in TV/IV history where Kenneth on 30 Rock was making a joke about the elevator stopping at every floor, but a few people insisted it was a racist barb, because Tracy had just gotten on.

But I acquit.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Cojawfee posted:

Though you would think that someone would be growing crops in orbit or at a lagrange point or something. Or maybe even closer to the sun. It's a lot easier to send products out to the belt if you don't have to lift them out of Earth's gravity first. Then it would be a simple matter of the UN seizing all of that, stopping it from going to the belt and using it to feed Earthers.

How much you want to bet all convenient lagrange points are actually occupied by Earth corp manufacturing facilities and naval ship yards. Places where they receive belter mined materials, not ship them out from.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

CPColin posted:

But I acquit.

god dammit nO

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What time do new episodes go up on Amazon?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Two hours from now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

CPColin posted:

I got you. It was a callback to another legendary argument in TV/IV history where Kenneth on 30 Rock was making a joke about the elevator stopping at every floor, but a few people insisted it was a racist barb, because Tracy had just gotten on.

But I acquit.

Very good, I'm just going to Google myself in your office. Can I use your computer?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Two hours from now.

oh gently caress yeah, for some reason I thought they hit midnight

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Alchenar posted:

A big enough volcano is enough to drop global temperatures for a year.

Who's the genius who came up with this nickname

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

smoobles posted:

Those were simpler times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

smoobles posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potoooooooo