Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Been awhile since I looked in here but just wanted to say gently caress Marilyn Manson

And I also wanted to post this
https://twitter.com/inversephase/status/1356604327545212933?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The real thing to take away from this Brian Warner thing is that despite having evidence of all of this poo poo before his last album hit, they chose to keep him until now when they were certain there was no more money to be made. It's the most transparent not actually giving a poo poo I've seen in some time. Better late than never I guess, but they can get hosed right along with Brian.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

When you think about it, it's absolutely insane that he's somehow evaded any consequences for all the poo poo he does when he openly talks about it without a care in the world, like he genuinely believes himself to be untouchable. I'm amazed that he's somehow evaded jail for the past decade, nevermind what came before then.

I'm not sure if whatever label put out his latest record actually knew but it was abysmal anyways. He seemed to be making a bit of a comeback with Tyler Bates but it only took two albums before Tyler was off.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There were 100% credible claims that, while they did not name names, were clearly about him that were public record before that album hit. I know this for sure because that's why I never even bothered listening to that album.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Vince MechMahon posted:

The real thing to take away from this Brian Warner thing is that despite having evidence of all of this poo poo before his last album hit, they chose to keep him until now when they were certain there was no more money to be made. It's the most transparent not actually giving a poo poo I've seen in some time. Better late than never I guess, but they can get hosed right along with Brian.

Welcome to capitalism. First time? It's gross but there is a 0% chance a profitable entity (Manson, Trump, whoever) is dropped from the rolls until every last cent has been wrung from them

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Barry posted:

Welcome to capitalism. First time? It's gross but there is a 0% chance a profitable entity (Manson, Trump, whoever) is dropped from the rolls until every last cent has been wrung from them

Oh I'm not surprised, I'm just saying let's not all fall over ourselves to pat them on the back for dropping him now. Day late and a dollar short.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Vince MechMahon posted:

Oh I'm not surprised, I'm just saying let's not all fall over ourselves to pat them on the back for dropping him now. Day late and a dollar short.

Yeah you know these ghouls have teams full of actuaries building models or whatever to know exactly when to cut ties with a goober like Manson before he starts making GBS threads on the bottom line.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The worst part about Manson threatening these poor women is that he's just a goddamn dork. He's a dork with a poo poo ton of money, which makes him dangerous, but watching him in interviews it's clear that he's never progressed past being an edgy middle schooler. The interviews where he talk about how he's gang-affiliated are so goddamn cringey.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Wild T posted:

The worst part about Manson threatening these poor women is that he's just a goddamn dork. He's a dork with a poo poo ton of money, which makes him dangerous, but watching him in interviews it's clear that he's never progressed past being an edgy middle schooler. The interviews where he talk about how he's gang-affiliated are so goddamn cringey.

I never got into Manson because of the aesthetic, I guess. Like you said, edgy middle schooler vibe wasn't working for me in my 20s. I remember a buddy of mine saying something like Marilyn Manson would be pretty good if Marilyn Manson wasn't in the band.

And :lol: he said he's gang affiliated? That's hilarious.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wild T posted:

You've just reminded me of one interview where he was showing off some golden switchblade he had to the interviewer and bragging about what he'd used it for or something and it sounded ridiculous, but then if you swap out his version that involved a man with "What if it was actually a woman?" it becomes quite grim.

I don't think that he has a lot of money either. He's had to downsize a lot and I remember his old keyboardist taking him to court for the band being screwed on payments while he wasted all his money on drugs and Nazi memorabilia which apparently wasn't just for the edginess either. And you know it's messed up when the guy that urinated on women and sexually abused a disabled woman in front of the rest of the band is taking the moral high ground in a situation.

I remember Manson having to sell his last house a while back and it was a pretty small and unremarkable place. I think he's wasted everything, lost a fair chunk to divorces and any money he makes now just goes towards drugs. He'll probably need Johnny Depp forking over the cash for a lawyer just to defend him in court since I doubt he could afford it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The instant holy wood was over he should have dropped or evolved the gimmick. Did any of you ever see that fuckin cringe TV special he did for golden age of grotesque? That was the exact moment even teenage me stopped thinking any of that poo poo was cool.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

I don't think that he has a lot of money either. He's had to downsize a lot and I remember his old keyboardist taking him to court for the band being screwed on payments while he wasted all his money on drugs and Nazi memorabilia which apparently wasn't just for the edginess either. And you know it's messed up when the guy that urinated on women and sexually abused a disabled woman in front of the rest of the band is taking the moral high ground in a situation.

I remember reading it was basically a dispute that started over healthcare coverage, which is about the most un-Marilyn Manson thing imaginable.

I remember becoming a little disillusioned at the time because I remember reading Manson said something like 'I've done a lot for Pogo, I even paid his salary when we weren't touring' and I'm just 'gently caress, you've been friends and bandmates with the guy for 20 years in a very popular band and he still gets treated like you're his manager at Burger King?'

I've often wondered whether the whole 'bandmates as salaried employees' thing came about in 1995 and Daisy refused to play ball and was driven out. Sometimes lead singers get a big head when their band hits it big, I know Nirvana had a crisis when Kurt Cobain suddenly decided he wanted a much bigger cut of the proceeds because he was the one getting tabloid stories written about him.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah at least Trent Reznor was very straightforward about things when it comes to NIN of "I'm the band" (until Atticus joined, that is) but he has the benefit of having actual talent at songwriting and being able to play a variety of instruments and pretty much make an entire album by himself. Manson can't do poo poo on his own so always has to seek out someone or some people to make the record for him to try and sing over, and the amount of talent he's let slip through his fingers because he thinks that he's more important when he's always been the least relevant part of the music is embarrassing.

I mean when I think of their breakthrough hit cover of Sweet Dreams it's the guitar work that instantly comes to mind, not the singing, and most of Manson's attention came from video directors like Floria Sigismondi and makeup artists giving him an aesthetic direction since beforehand he was just a skinny pale guy in a black shirt and PVC pants with the only notable thing about his appearance being "Where's his eyebrows?" until some actual artists took the time to give him a look.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I had heard the newest Manson album last year and it was so godawful.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think it's a little different if you establish from day 1 that your band is essentially just you, rather than deciding to cut everyone else out once you get famous.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/goldenglobes/status/1356968049518149632?s=20

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

More potential awards to add to Trent Reznor's epitaph.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Gotta get dat Tony!

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Vince MechMahon posted:

The instant holy wood was over he should have dropped or evolved the gimmick. Did any of you ever see that fuckin cringe TV special he did for golden age of grotesque? That was the exact moment even teenage me stopped thinking any of that poo poo was cool.

I remember actually liking Mechanical Animals when it was released, even if it was just Manson copying Bowie. Also when I watched a video a couple months ago about the allegations against him I saw old clips of him in the late 90s and thought "this is just drag aesthetic". Then again, I didn't get into going to drag shows until the 2010s, so I'm not sure how much Manson copied from drag, or if drag just adopted some of the same stuff he was doing.

I did see Rob Zombie in 2014 with several ex-Manson players and it was a great show. John5 tried to get a couple thousand drunk Germans to do an organized chant (half the crowd yelling 'gently caress' and the other half responding 'you')and they kept failing miserably at it. After several attempts he gave up while doubled over with laughter and it was just :3:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wild T posted:

I remember actually liking Mechanical Animals when it was released, even if it was just Manson copying Bowie. Also when I watched a video a couple months ago about the allegations against him I saw old clips of him in the late 90s and thought "this is just drag aesthetic". Then again, I didn't get into going to drag shows until the 2010s, so I'm not sure how much Manson copied from drag, or if drag just adopted some of the same stuff he was doing.

I did see Rob Zombie in 2014 with several ex-Manson players and it was a great show. John5 tried to get a couple thousand drunk Germans to do an organized chant (half the crowd yelling 'gently caress' and the other half responding 'you')and they kept failing miserably at it. After several attempts he gave up while doubled over with laughter and it was just :3:

Mechanical animals was before holy wood and was good.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

manson had a chance at a decent comeback around the same time NIN had their revival in the late 2000s. iirc that's around the same time trent called manson a sad clown or something, probably because manson still refused to take off the make up and give up the shtick.

edit: it was "dopey clown", in 2009

quote:

In an interview with Mojo, the Nine Inch Nails man pulled no punches, saying that Manson is "a malicious guy and will step on anybody's face to succeed and cross any line of decency. Seeing him now, drugs and alcohol now rule his life and he's become a dopey clown."

Even so, Reznor does temper his vitriole with some kind words about Manson, saying, "He used to be the smartest guy in the room. And as a fan of his talents, I hope he gets his poo poo together,"

oh well.

double edit: gonna start calling trent "the Nine Inch Nails man" now

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 3, 2021

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Somewhere, Trent reads the Manson news and quietly, slowly starts to smile

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I had heard the newest Manson album last year and it was so godawful.

I wouldn't call it godawful, but it's definitely one of his less impressive records.

I'm guessing this means the end of his career as an entertainer (hell, he may be looking at prison time). Not sure what he can do next. He could always try to go independent, which is pretty easy to do nowadays, but who is gonna gently caress with him? He needs a band, a producer, a studio, a promoter. How's he gonna get anyone to work with him after this? He'll probably be broke after fighting all this in court and the only money he'll likely get is from the trickle of cash he gets from streaming his music online, and even then there's likely only going to be a few "true believer" fans out there left who will enjoy his music privately. I'm thinking he's toast.

This all sucks because Manson was a big part of my musical discovery back in the mid 90s. I still have a playlist on my phone of all my favorite Manson songs and I was listening to it only a couple of weeks ago. I know most of his later output is meh at best, but a lot of his earlier music (and some Pale Emperor stuff too) is legitimately good and it's going to be difficult resisting the urge to go back and listen to it again because so much of it is tied to my teenage years. I guess I could go and port all the stuff I have on CD over to my phone so I can listen to it without having to worry about giving him any more money than I already have, but it's still going to be hard to enjoy it knowing just how much of a menace he really is.

I just want to listen to Mechanical Animals guilt-free again, but I suppose there's no going back from something like this. :(

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
The Soul soundtrack is very very good. I hope that they win the thing.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
have to confess, trent and manson were huge to me in my teens and i somewhat recall weird poo poo from the autobiography that dont seem all that a fabrication even now. i dont get how he can be infuriated but years later greenlight letting manson appear in a music video and then in a live show?

https://pitchfork.com/news/trent-reznor-denounces-marilyn-manson-in-new-statement/

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Doesn’t surprise me in the least that it’s sady doyle trying to cancel Trent on twitter

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Radirot posted:

have to confess, trent and manson were huge to me in my teens and i somewhat recall weird poo poo from the autobiography that dont seem all that a fabrication even now. i dont get how he can be infuriated but years later greenlight letting manson appear in a music video and then in a live show?

https://pitchfork.com/news/trent-reznor-denounces-marilyn-manson-in-new-statement/

TR was doing a lot of drugs at that time (starfuckers video and fragile tour)

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Doesn’t surprise me in the least that it’s sady doyle trying to cancel Trent on twitter

not familiar, whose that?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

no doubt in my mind that trent got up to some insane debauchery in the 90s, himself. im sure there are a lot of stories that remain untold.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was a huge Manson fan for a while and I still think Mechanical Animals is one of the best albums ever, but yeah, it went downhill fast after Holywood. Like on GAotG he was at least trying. The theme was was lamer than any of his past albums but he was still trying and writing stuff based on what he was interested in. Then Dita Von Teese divorced him and he wrote the most pathetic mopey album I've ever heard in my life and since then every album has literally been him going through the motions and I gave up listening to his new stuff. It actually annoyed me because every new album would say "well if your a fan of Manson's sound, you'll like this" and it was like no, this is a hollow pantomime of his previous sound and no I don't like it.

And then it came out he was an abusive piece of poo poo and I knew I'd never hear anything worthwhile from him again.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

polyester concept posted:

no doubt in my mind that trent got up to some insane debauchery in the 90s, himself. im sure there are a lot of stories that remain untold.

That's also connected directly to Manson in a way in that the big fight they had in the 90s was mainly about Manson revealing a bunch of that stuff in his book.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

double edit: gonna start calling trent "the Nine Inch Nails man" now

"Golden Globe nominated The Nine Inch Nails man"

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

a mysterious cloak posted:

Somewhere, Trent reads the Manson news and quietly, slowly starts to smile

I don't think that he does, especially considering he's now getting dragged into the Manson crap because of what's written in his book. I imagine at the time Reznor thought of it as a Bowie/Iggy situation and he was giving someone that he saw promise in a helping hand to do well. The difference was Iggy actually cleaned up his act with Bowie and they both have (and sadly, had) long and successful careers without any of the nonsense. Manson squandered everything and just left a trail of ruin behind him before crashing and burning.

Reznor probably never expected it and saw promise in him at the time (e.g. smartest guy in the room quote) thinking everything else was just talk until realizing what kind of guy he really was and starting to distance himself quickly.

axelblaze posted:

That's also connected directly to Manson in a way in that the big fight they had in the 90s was mainly about Manson revealing a bunch of that stuff in his book.

It's been a stupidly long time but all I remember about Trent from Manson's book was a lot of whining about him spending time with David Lynch (and Bowie?) during the Antichrist Superstar recording sessions when he was putting together the Lost Highway soundtrack. It seems like even before Manson had an opportunity to get big (I consider the release of Antichrist Superstar to be when he did) that Reznor had wised-up about the guy and was keeping his distance.

Manson admitted his drug use was already going off the rails during the recording and that combined with the stories of putting recording reels in microwaves and all the other dumb poo poo they were doing - that's probably why Trent went off to actually do something productive while Manson and co. just got high and thought they were receiving messages from the future or whatever crap it was that Manson claimed. For as good as Antichrist is as an album I'd say it's a miracle the band managed to even make it, let alone tour for it and record further albums.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TR was doing a lot of drugs at that time (starfuckers video and fragile tour)

I have to admit both of the above are true and we should, on some level, brace ourselves for the possibility that something bad could come out about him.

But it will obviously have to be from a more reliable source from Manson.

In lighter news, David Fincher made a Superbowl commercial for Anheuser-Busch scored by Atticus Ross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDvNUJUVmGk

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 4, 2021

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Capitalism sucks, commodities are being pushed down our throats with marketing campaigns and also David Fincher can still loving get it when it comes to TV ads.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

I have to admit both of the above are true and we should, on some level, brace ourselves for the possibility that something bad could come out about him.

But it will obviously have to be from a more reliable source from Manson.

Fair point. I've always seen Reznor as more self-destructive during those periods and abusing himself rather than others though, aside from the on-stage chaos, that is. Everything from that time made him seem pretty reclusive (tour footage etc.) and basically hiding away from people, aside from some clips where he'd step off the bus for a bit to play with his dog. Still could be something though, who knows.

On the topic of this whole mess however, even more women have come forward now (a model, a musician, an artist, a retailer and also a stylist who states Manson held a Glock pistol to her head in an incident in 2011) and Manson has also been dropped from two TV shows (American Gods & Creepshow) that he was involved with. Dita Von Teese has chimed in to say he never abused her and that their divorce was the result of infidelity and drug abuse. Given so many more women have already come forward however the floodgates might have opened. Apparently police have already been to his house to check things out.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

About the worst thing I've heard about 90s era Reznor was that he really had a thing for tall, Amazonian black strippers. Which is super specific but not exactly cancel-worthy by itself and after he got clean it seems like he's happy being a quiet family man.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The worst thing I can remember about Trent from Manson's book is the Courtney Love poo poo everyone already knew about anyway.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I am glad that I do not remember anything involving Courtney Love.

Wild T posted:

About the worst thing I've heard about 90s era Reznor was that he really had a thing for tall, Amazonian black strippers. Which is super specific but not exactly cancel-worthy by itself and after he got clean it seems like he's happy being a quiet family man.

If Trent still likes video games I wonder how he reacted to the new Resident Evil. A lot of people discovered they have a kink for 9ft vampire ladies after watching the trailer :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

I am glad that I do not remember anything involving Courtney Love.

It was mostly that they were loving even though they hated each other and it led into a story about Pogo loving her one night when she couldn't find him.