Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

shame on an IGA posted:

I have always loved it

Agent Nichael, thanks to your alluring deception we've spotted the deviant! They will be dealt with swiftly. You may now retract that compromising lie, before it causes further harm to your personal status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That song at the end is great tho

https://youtu.be/IiUL_vWs5IE

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I'm going to watch that episode right now. I'm pausing Stanny-boy and Frantastic to watch American Fung.

Starts kind of racist

ends kind of racist too

good dance though.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 2, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The only American Dad that I don't really like is the first season. Thankfully there's like 15 others to watch and enjoy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
AD's got pretty good music selection

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I'm going to watch that episode right now. I'm pausing Stanny-boy and Frantastic to watch American Fung.

Stanny-boy & Frantastic is one of the few episodes other than American Fung that I don't like. Ruining people's lives by sabotaging their birth control is just...more uncomfortable than funny to me. The parkour scene was hilarious though.

That, Hayley Smith Seal Team Six, and the one where Stan gets real serial killers for Halloween are the only ones that I really never rewatch.

Milo and POTUS posted:

AD's got pretty good music selection

AD uses music unusually excellently, whether it's music created for the show (Trapped in the Locker, the whole hot tub episode, the kink song, etc.) or music just used in the perfect situation ("Stop" by Jane's Addiction when they're hunted for sport, "Majestic" by Wax Fang in the space episode, etc.).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I randomly remembered today that the character Jeff Fischer is based on his voice actor the real life Jeff Fischer who's friends with Seth McFarlane and that Seth specifically wrote the character Jeff for Jeff to play because he just likes the dude so much.

That was a cool thing to do for a friend.

Anyway, here are the worst (and best) American Dad episodes according to IMBD: https://screenrant.com/american-dad-best-worst-episodes/

I'm surprised people didn't like Kloger, actually I'm not that surprised given the subject matter but I still found it hilarious.

Edit:

YeahTubaMike posted:

AD uses music unusually excellently, whether it's music created for the show (Trapped in the Locker, the whole hot tub episode, the kink song, etc.) or music just used in the perfect situation ("Stop" by Jane's Addiction when they're hunted for sport, "Majestic" by Wax Fang in the space episode, etc.).

Using "I'm Walking This Road Because You Stole My Car" by Fascinoma for the montage of Steve and Simon the cat who hates him was a bold choice, but it works amazingly well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn_BSaFSp30

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 3, 2021

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Anyway, here are the worst (and best) American Dad episodes according to IMBD: https://screenrant.com/american-dad-best-worst-episodes/

I'm surprised people didn't like Kloger, actually I'm not that surprised given the subject matter but I still found it hilarious.

Kloger is among my favorite TBS-era episodes, along with Shell Game, Next of Pin, and the one where Stan becomes a surfer. There are others but listing all the episodes I like would make for a very unwieldy post.

As far as that list goes, the only "worst" one I actively disliked was American Fung. I thought Family Plan was okay, and I LOVED Kloger and Camp Campawanda. The soul inhabiting the child made of candy, Steve sobbing while singing "boom chika boom", the townies trying to kill them -- all great.

quote:

Using "I'm Walking This Road Because You Stole My Car" by Fascinoma for the montage of Steve and Simon the cat who hates him was a bold choice, but it works amazingly well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn_BSaFSp30

I don't like the song, but its use in that montage makes it more than tolerable, even considering that I'm not a super fan of the episode altogether.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't hate American Fung but I can see why people do, it is a weird meta episode and the A plot just kind of suddenly ends with no resolution.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Brawnfire posted:

That song at the end is great tho

https://youtu.be/IiUL_vWs5IE

I just love off model mickey mouse fist pumping the whole time.

One of the few things AD did that I don't really like is Hayley and Jeff getting married. It kind of locked her into jokes about being married to Jeff for most of the episodes. The Sub Hub stuff has given her something else at least.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Contazulations!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

twistedmentat posted:

I just love off model mickey mouse fist pumping the whole time.

One of the few things AD did that I don't really like is Hayley and Jeff getting married. It kind of locked her into jokes about being married to Jeff for most of the episodes. The Sub Hub stuff has given her something else at least.

On the other hand I wouldn't mind at all if they gave Steve a persistent love interest once and for all, cause lord are "Steve tries to get laid/a girlfriend" plots worn out by this point, like they've done that plot over 40 times, and that as just when I last did the research about 5 or 6 seasons ago, so the number has probably gone up a lot since then

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

On the other hand I wouldn't mind at all if they gave Steve a persistent love interest once and for all, cause lord are "Steve tries to get laid/a girlfriend" plots worn out by this point, like they've done that plot over 40 times, and that as just when I last did the research about 5 or 6 seasons ago, so the number has probably gone up a lot since then

He already has Snot, what more do you want?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

dovetaile posted:

He already has Snot, what more do you want?

Honestly I despise Steve's friends and would have no problem with them being gotten rid of

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I despise Steve's friends and would have no problem with them being gotten rid of

Why you gotta do Toshi like that?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Problematic Soup posted:

Why you gotta do Ronnie like that?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I just rewatched American Fung out of curiosity. Hadn't seen it since its airing, and yeah... There were a couple of, well, not good jokes, but a few passable ones sprinkled sparsely, but the racist Fung stuff got very tiresome.

I feel kind of bad for laughing at Stan's rampage through a psychiatric hospital with a drugged up wheelchair-bound Francine dressed as Ringo Starr though. There's nothing really clever or even decent about it, and it was very mean spirited, but i did laugh

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Problematic Soup posted:

Why you gotta do Toshi like that?

The problem with Toshi(and Barry for that matter) is that he's just too one dimensional of a character, he's not even particularly funny and his gimmick is arguably kinda racist anyways

Snot has more in the way of depth but he's an obnoxious unlikable dweeb who is nowhere near as funny as the show's writers think he is(indeed he's often downright depressing in a way that actively detracts from a scene's humor) and his involvement in Steve's plots often drags Steve down as a character in turn(indeed he's worse in that regard than Barry or Toshi are)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Still waiting on that Barry and Jeff project!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

drrockso20 posted:

The problem with Toshi(and Barry for that matter) is that he's just too one dimensional of a character, he's not even particularly funny and his gimmick is arguably kinda racist anyways

Snot has more in the way of depth but he's an obnoxious unlikable dweeb who is nowhere near as funny as the show's writers think he is(indeed he's often downright depressing in a way that actively detracts from a scene's humor) and his involvement in Steve's plots often drags Steve down as a character in turn(indeed he's worse in that regard than Barry or Toshi are)

There were two jokes with Toshi's gimmick I found funny and they were his mother expressing confusion he that doesn't speak English and the random throwaway gag about him being able to see and talk to a ghost that speaks an older dialect that Toshi doesn't understand.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

The_Doctor posted:

Still waiting on that Barry and Jeff project!

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Nep-Nep posted:

There were two jokes with Toshi's gimmick I found funny and they were his mother expressing confusion he that doesn't speak English and the random throwaway gag about him being able to see and talk to a ghost that speaks an older dialect that Toshi doesn't understand.

I liked that he chose to learn French after he married Francine.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
The Friendiversary song

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Roger doing a Julia Childs impression because that's how the voice changer works

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

drrockso20 posted:

It seems like "Steve tries to impress Stan" has become a more common trope since then, but it could be recency bias since the last episode I watched was the NSA one.

drrockso20 posted:

Either the show doesn't use them enough for me to hate them or I already don't hate them so their presence doesn't detract from the show for me. Both are equally plausible.

Doubtful Guest posted:

I liked that he chose to learn French after he married Francine.

I liked that he chose to learn Russian to woo Svetlana.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I like all three of Steve's friends. They're funny, and I really don't see how they're any worse people than the rest of the cast. Snot and Steve are both dweebs, that's why they work well together and should get married.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I like all three of Steve's friends. They're funny, and I really don't see how they're any worse people than the rest of the cast. Snot and Steve are both dweebs, that's why they work well together and should get married.

Their classic sitcom ‘will they/won’t they’ dynamic keeps me on the edge of my seat. :allears:

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

drrockso20 posted:

MODS?!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

In music chat, this came up on my 80s radio station the other day, and it took forever to realise where I’d heard it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNVZzXgMdXs

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

When Jeff goes through the wormhole in an attempt to get back together with Hayley, he ends up in a universe where Steve & Snot are married. They made a pact to get married at 21 if they hadn't found any women yet. They take turns being the girl. They don't though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

It seems like "Steve tries to impress Stan" has become a more common trope since then, but it could be recency bias since the last episode I watched was the NSA one.

Either the show doesn't use them enough for me to hate them or I already don't hate them so their presence doesn't detract from the show for me. Both are equally plausible.

I liked that he chose to learn Russian to woo Svetlana.

Honestly I don't really like those plots either since they never go anywhere, but then I'm of the opinion that the "Status Quo is God" nature of the show is it's biggest weakness(and indeed of basically all Animated Sitcoms)

The difference is that Steve being a dweeb is usually in a charming way, Snot is just a dweeb in a cringey depressing way

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Snot's Mom's Mom Sauce

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

AD uses music unusually excellently, whether it's music created for the show (Trapped in the Locker)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFosUj6A22c

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

edit: :doh: When I said "created for the show", I didn't mean the originalest of the original. Seth MacFarlane shows have a long history of repurposing pre-existing songs -- for example, "Nick & Cass" from the episode where Stan meets Francine's birth parents was repurposed from "Dance, Ten; Looks, Three" from A Chorus Line and I would still consider it original.

edit2: I guess I'm conflating "original" and "created for the show". Hopefully it's clearer what I meant now.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 4, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Every form of Jeff Fischer and Sinbad in the Wormhole: https://imgur.com/gallery/CQVfw

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Every form of Jeff Fischer and Sinbad in the Wormhole: https://imgur.com/gallery/CQVfw

There is a scene like that in Gravity Falls, I have to believe it's a reference.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

American Fung isn't a good episode but I think I would take it over something like Dammmm, Stan! from the most recent season. At least American Fung is weird while the other one (which is the episode where Stan dams a river and becomes a lake person) is just kind of mediocre.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

muscles like this! posted:

American Fung isn't a good episode but I think I would take it over something like Dammmm, Stan! from the most recent season. At least American Fung is weird while the other one (which is the episode where Stan dams a river and becomes a lake person) is just kind of mediocre.

Dammmm, Stan!'s A-plot reminded me of the "Justin lifestyle" B-plot of that one Family Guy episode whose name I don't remember since it made fun of a very specific kind of people in a weirdly esoteric way, and the B-plot of Dammmm, Stan! is literally just a mildly retooled version of Roger falling in love with "Dylan" from the Dream Phone game & violently overreacting to the fact that he isn't really Dylan. Ho hum. 5 out of 10.

Maybe if American Fung had been from the most recent season, I would have received it better, but the fact that it caught me off-guard probably made it worse. I wasn't a superfan of the episodes that led up to it (The Shrink and Holy poo poo Jeff's Back), but those episodes weren't bad enough to make me expect less from the show altogether.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've had this bit in my head all day, and I'm glad to see it's on youtube. Stan's NOooOOOo kills me every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSoMdDu6ryI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The shrink owns but I'm weak to any sort of shrinking episode or movie