Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

smoobles posted:

oh gently caress yeah, for some reason I thought they hit midnight

Midnight GMT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm catching up on the last few episodes now, but I really gotta say that the whole 'Naomi and her son' subplot has just loving sucked as far as I'm concerned. I don't care about it in the least and it feels just so forced.

And I'm really loving irritated at Naomi saying 'This isn't you' to a child she abandoned (regardless of the reasons) for almost 20 years. It's so loving dumb.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TMMadman posted:

I'm catching up on the last few episodes now, but I really gotta say that the whole 'Naomi and her son' subplot has just loving sucked as far as I'm concerned. I don't care about it in the least and it feels just so forced.

And I'm really loving irritated at Naomi saying 'This isn't you' to a child she abandoned (regardless of the reasons) for almost 20 years. It's so loving dumb.

Did you miss the part where her partner abducted her son and hid him from her until she nearly went crazy and committed suicide?

If by S05E09 you think she abandoned her kid you haven't been paying attention.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Some of us watched this season at 125% speed with the audio off, alright?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TraderStav posted:

Did you miss the part where her partner abducted her son and hid him from her until she nearly went crazy and committed suicide?

If by S05E09 you think she abandoned her kid you haven't been paying attention.

I get that it wasn't actual abandonment, but the point still stands. You can't go up to someone that you haven't interacted with at all for essentially 2 decades and claim 'This isn't you' even if it's your kid. It doesn't ring true to me at all.

Filip may be her biologic child, but he not her actual child anymore and hasn't been since she left.

edit - that isn't to say that I don't understand the reasons for wanting to reconnect with Filip and see where he stands on things and possibly try to have an effect on him, but I still stand by my claim that saying that statement to someone you haven't been with for 20 years is just beyond loving stupid. But overall, I still find the whole subplot stupid and forced.

edit 2 - also it would be different if she was saying that to a 40 year old filip that she left when he was an older teenager as you could at least claim 'that wasn't you'

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 3, 2021

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tonight's the finale, right?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It very well will be who she wants him to be and that her last memory of him is a sweet kid.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TMMadman posted:

I get that it wasn't actual abandonment, but the point still stands. You can't go up to someone that you haven't interacted with at all for essentially 2 decades and claim 'This isn't you' even if it's your kid. It doesn't ring true to me at all.

I think most parents, rightly or wrongly, have a very strong desire to not believe their child is an eager participant in genocide.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

TMMadman posted:

Filip may be her biologic child, but he not her actual child anymore and hasn't been since she left.

edit - that isn't to say that I don't understand the reasons for wanting to reconnect with Filip and see where he stands on things and possibly try to have an effect on him, but I still stand by my claim that saying that statement to someone you haven't been with for 20 years is just beyond loving stupid. But overall, I still find the whole subplot stupid and forced.

edit 2 - also it would be different if she was saying that to a 40 year old filip that she left when he was an older teenager as you could at least claim 'that wasn't you'

Counterpoint: Saying "This isn't you" to a literal child whose identity is absolutely still in flux is a very effective way to make them reconsider their actions, and doesn't need to ring true.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sab Sabbington posted:

Counterpoint: Saying "This isn't you" to a literal child whose identity is absolutely still in flux is a very effective way to make them reconsider their actions, and doesn't need to ring true.

You haven't seen my 13 year old play Fortnite have you?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Taintrunner posted:

Yep, tonight's episode is it until season 6.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Episode is up.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great start so far, too. Really putting all the cards on the table.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

Yup only a 10 episode season

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You crazy for this one Naomi!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Lmao :wth:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
They just did it??

He got poochie'd

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo that’s not awkward at all or anything

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
What a way to go out.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamn Amos knows how to steal a show. Even when he’s barely in it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
HA HA WHAT THE gently caress?????

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Good callout to fred in the books

gently caress that was good.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WHAT THE gently caress JUST HAPPENED

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Taintrunner posted:

Ship go in, ship no go out.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Taintrunner posted:

to quote kirk

WHY IS GOD ANGRY?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
That shipyard is beautiful

Forgive us for our doubts Correy

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Godamnit Alex :(

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Wait how did he die?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

Wait how did he die?

It was a stroke. Risk of high-G burns.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can I get some help! The bottle!?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Gully Foyle posted:

It was a stroke. Risk of high-G burns.

Lmao so lovely

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Welp. I believed 'em when they said they'd finished filming, was not expecting they went back to add that in. Guess that fixes the problem. :v: Wonder if Bull or Peaches is getting to be pilot next season.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Lol Alex getting canned really must have blown a hole in the editing process. Fun finale but the tone was all over the place. Curious what the original vision was

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Grand Fromage posted:

Welp. I believed 'em when they said they'd finished filming, was not expecting they went back to add that in. Guess that fixes the problem. :v: Wonder if Bull or Peaches is getting to be pilot next season.

I feel like Bull being in the pilots seat toward the end of the episode answers that last part

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm guessing the former since there was a shot of 'em sitting in the pilot seat holding Alex's mug.

edit: fuckin' sniped

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sab Sabbington posted:

I'm guessing the former since there was a shot of 'em sitting in the pilot seat holding Alex's mug.

edit: fuckin' sniped

That's what I'm assuming but he has to be available, dunno if they were planning to have him around in season six or not.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i don't remember exactly when the timeline for the allegations against cass anwar were, but wouldn't they have been aware of them while shooting? i thought the story had broken but the "investigation" by the studio finding him at fault was just not complete yet

my point being, the writers may've seen which way the wind was blowing and said "there's really only one choice here"

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Centrist Committee posted:

Lol Alex getting canned really must have blown a hole in the editing process. Fun finale but the tone was all over the place. Curious what the original vision was

yeah, no way they didn't cut the poo poo out of anvar's role for the entire season

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So what was with that thing at the end of the episode. Time freezes and then black smoke shoots through the ship? Is that just a new effect for going through the ring, or was their ship destroyed?

That certainly is a way to get rid of Alex though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

... why are there no English subs...