Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Coxswain Balls posted:

This fight is still as savage as I remember it being. After looking it up again I just found out that Takayama is now a quadriplegic from a wrestling accident in 2017. :(

frye ain't doing to well too iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

GoutPatrol posted:

frye ain't doing to well too iirc

Jesus, I just assumed he was more or less retired and doing acting gigs since I've only seen him in like movies and TV shows. I didn't realize he was homeless and tried to get the cops to shoot him multiple times.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
needs more puro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaTXzeBuQSg

and the greatest match of all time

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5x713r

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

YeahTubaMike posted:

Chris Jericho was one of my first crushes, my first email had "jerichoholic" in it, and when I went to a wrestling event and saw Chris Jericho come out, I cried like one of those girls in those old Beatles videos. :allears:

Oh... I have some bad news for you... :ohdear:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1312246006709395457

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mister Speaker posted:

'Macho Man' Randy Savage died doing what he loved: slamming into things.

I hate myself for laughing at this.

Coxswain Balls posted:

This fight is still as savage as I remember it being. After looking it up again I just found out that Takayama is now a quadriplegic from a wrestling accident in 2017. :(

Oh no :smith: That reminds me -- I saw Droz in an episode of Dark Side of the Ring, and he's barely recognizable.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Oh... I have some bad news for you... :ohdear:

What, is he gay or something?

*checks out Wikipedia*

Oh...oh no...

https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1347965105322012675

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
pro-click

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Those guys sold the poo poo out of everything, wow.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4_qmZPdZcI

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Stinger's got the best gif and jpeg in the business.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 3, 2021

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ol' Stinger survived the test of time. Can't believe he's still at it.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

Why am I not surprised that Val Venis is a complete loving weirdo? He's like a low-rent Marty Jannetty.

choppy choppy pee pee

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Man of the People vs. Man Who Didn't Think People Would Know What a Burrito Is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AtD-mpAOyY

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Cubone posted:

pro-click

Any of the New Japan NEVER Openweight matches are amazing, it's like they tell them who's winning, and the rest of the match is just "go beat the living gently caress out of each other."

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Neither of these ever gets old. :allears:

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The only wrestling I've seen in the past decade and a half is on Botchamania, and I'll never get enough of Tazz corpsing.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I wish people did the Bret Hart thrown into the turnbuckle spot, he sold that and made it look painful as hell

He also spit in Vince’s face which i respect

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

frankenfreak posted:

Neither of these ever gets old. :allears:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wait I thought this poo poo was hyperscripted. Some of it is just these dudes improv’ing poo poo? Like homoerotic bebop, man.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Wait I thought this poo poo was hyperscripted. Some of it is just these dudes improv’ing poo poo? Like homoerotic bebop, man.
it's really rare for matches to be completely planned

wrestlers usually plot out a few spots and probably know the ending, but for the most part they call it in the ring, responding to how the crowd reacts and trying to fit the story in whatever amount of time they have

Cubone
May 26, 2011

wrestlers will actually sometimes be told right before they go out that the plan changed and their 15 minute match now needs to be done in 5, or that their 10 minute match now has to go for 20. you can imagine the nightmare of trying to recalibrate for this on the fly with somebody you're supposed to look like you're fighting on live tv and an audience of thousands

when you consider all of the factors that go into it it's actually kind of amazing that anybody has ever done a wrestling

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I’m fairly certain wwe matches are basically 100% scripted, I remember seeing leaked videos of the match runners making them run through the matches multiple times

That being said outside the wwe I could be convinced it’s not 100% scripted, or at the very least put together by the wrestlers

But to be fair Drake Maverick literally pissed his pants after the fake pee didn’t work, I don’t remember if that was before or after they ruined his real life wedding, but definitely before he was fired anyways

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 3, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwevO5IoEKE

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Do it ironically posted:

I’m fairly certain wwe matches are basically 100% scripted, I remember seeing leaked videos of the match runners making them run through the matches multiple times

That being said outside the wwe I could be convinced it’s not 100% scripted, or at the very least put together by the wrestlers

But to be fair Drake Maverick literally pissed his pants after the fake pee didn’t work, I don’t remember if that was before or after they ruined his real life wedding, but definitely before he was fired anyways

Yep. The "art" of pro wrestling is supposed to be basically improv. Set up a few big moments ahead of time, and improv the rest..there are people who need the match laid out step-by-step for them, though. Randy Savage famously being one of them, he used to drive people insane by making them go through the entire match, step-by-step, over and over until he had it memorized.

The WWE basically wants to run things like a movie: everyone does the same moves, at the same times in every match, with the same pacing and flow, and everything is heavily scripted. Which is why, for the most part, it's loving miserable to watch.

Edit: The wrestlers in the WWE, unless you're John Cena, The Undertaker, etc. the very top guys, have little to no say in what they do or say. Their characters are given to them, their promos are written for them..which is why they mostly sound like bad theater, and their matches are laid out for them. In AEW, the wrestlers come up with their characters, for the most part, they write their own promos..which is why the AEW wrestlers sound more authentic when they talk..and they're free to come up with their own matches and ideas. The people in charge just tweak things as needed. Britt Baker being a good example of that system. She was supposed to be the top woman wrestler, as a good guy, and it just wasn't working. In WWE, they either would have told her "tough poo poo", or probably blamed her for it not working...in AEW, she went to the people in charge and said "this isn't working, I'd like to try being a bad guy", they said "ok, give it a shot", and now she's a top bad guy.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 3, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gavok posted:

There was a tag team of a Mario cosplayer and a Vega cosplayer who called themselves the Super Smash Brothers. But then they got on TV and couldn't call themselves that, so they were an evil team of supervillains with an army of masked henchmen following them around. They were eventually reimagined as a riff on Scientology and recruited some new members. Then their boss was introduced as a parody of Vince McMahon, down to his real life quirks (ie. freaking out when anyone sneezes) and they became commentary on how WWE is absolutely a cult in the way it treats its employees. Then all the members started filming comedy sketches on YouTube that turned them into a group of lovable dorks constantly being yelled at by their psychotic monster of a boss. Also, their cult got a sponsorship deal with Chili's and new members included a different wrestler's sweet mother and the comedian Sinbad.

Recently, the boss guy legit died from lung failure and his cult of idiots became good guys by default. They asked an alcoholic cowboy with anxiety issues to join their cult and his refusal was treated as the most heartbreaking thing for both sides. Also, the dead boss guy's 8-year-old son is now in charge of the group.

So anyway, that's why the Dark Order is rad as hell. Other than the leader dying. That part sucked.
gently caress I completely just skimmed this and thought Player Uno died. Sucks enough that Brodie did.

On the other hand, seems I really need to get on AEW.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

gently caress I completely just skimmed this and thought Player Uno died. Sucks enough that Brodie did.

Thank you for reminding me of Jon Moxley's attempt at figuring out the current storyline he's in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKKGAVgZtvI

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
the most goon wrestler in the world is WALTER

everyone loves WALTER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qE7AjdR4KA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15YhTA8i25E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SJH-4A166o

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

My Lovely Horse posted:

Du musst!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

It's Wednesday, you know what that means.

(it means AEW Dynamite is on tonight)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

A Fancy Hat posted:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That I thought Ultimate Warrior was really cool when I was 5 and found out later he was the uncoolest sucker who ever disgraced things may be why'd I fell away from the light for so long.

Anyhow AEW is on tonight on TNT and I am going to watch it for the first time. Gonna get oiled up and put tassles on my noodle arms.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

bradzilla posted:

would love to see your source on this lmao

Gilgamesh the King vs. "Wildman" Enkidu at Summerslam.

I was there. Craziest thing I've ever seen. We thought we were there to see a heel get his comeuppance. Turns out, we were there to see him make a face turn and turn his rivalry into a tag team partnership. The crowd loved it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPTemrD73-w

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tried to enjoy wrasslin' years ago but they'd push the most boring people.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

A Fancy Hat posted:

im going to watch it and anyone else who didn't know where to start with wrestling should too :hai:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That I thought Ultimate Warrior was really cool when I was 5 and found out later he was the uncoolest sucker who ever disgraced things may be why'd I fell away from the light for so long.
Sometimes it goes the other way. Back when Batista was new and I was following wrestling only very loosely I wrote him off as some stereotypical Jersey Shore meathead and never gave it a second thought for years. I got a bit more curious when he started being in movies, and not just WWE-produced vehicle for a wrestler movies. Eventually read up on him and found his twitter and it's like... wall to wall unconditional BLM support, LGBTQ support, Bernie Sanders, and vocally speaking out against Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, that dreadful QAnon congresswoman, you name it.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I checked out AEW back around when it started, then got burned out on wrestling because I was watching modern WWE. Time to give it another shot. Getting high and watching people in costumes throw each other around for an hour sounds pretty fun right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
When Big Show was sent to Louisville for training, I saw him drinking beers at the Toy Tiger. He is quite a person to see in real life and lol at those tiny little bottles of beer he was downing.