Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

i vomit kittens posted:

decided to try livebooting fedora from a USB on my laptop to see how it'd go. the ASUS ZenBook's touchpad is actually asecond screen for some stupid loving reason and, well...

and yes i had to navigate to the display settings from the touchpad to fix it

I want to put my WinAmp playlist on that touchpad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

i vomit kittens posted:

decided to try livebooting fedora from a USB on my laptop to see how it'd go. the ASUS ZenBook's touchpad is actually asecond screen for some stupid loving reason and, well...

this is spectacular

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i vomit kittens posted:

lomarf

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

i vomit kittens posted:

Tired of looking at BAD SCREEN
Can't wait to get home and look at ᴳᴼᴼᴰ ˢᶜᴿᴱᴱᴺ

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

i vomit kittens posted:

I heard you like linux

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

i vomit kittens posted:

tfw u buy 100,000 phone LCDs on Alibaba by mistake and have to come up with a way to get rid of this bullshit

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

i vomit kittens posted:

And by "fix" I assume you just mean rotate it 90 degrees, because this is the future of computing.

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Can you use the monitor as a touchpad?

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I want to put my WinAmp playlist on that touchpad.

the asus website has/had pictures of it being used for grandiose things like controlling your spotify and poo poo but inreality there are like 5 ASUS branded apps that you can use on it and nothing else. one of them is a calculator and another is just a shortcut to your warranty information.

it also defaults to working as a touchscreen to launch these apps and you have to press a specific button in the corner to make it work like normal and move your loving mouse, and after like 15 seconds of not using it, it will switch back to the app launcher mode.

i turned the screen off in windos the day i got it so it only functioned as a touchpad, except it's still a screen so it gets smudged and disgusting looking.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i vomit kittens posted:

the asus website has/had pictures of it being used for grandiose things like controlling your spotify and poo poo but inreality there are like 5 ASUS branded apps that you can use on it and nothing else. one of them is a calculator and another is just a shortcut to your warranty information.

it also defaults to working as a touchscreen to launch these apps and you have to press a specific button in the corner to make it work like normal and move your loving mouse, and after like 15 seconds of not using it, it will switch back to the app launcher mode.

i turned the screen off in windos the day i got it so it only functioned as a touchpad, except it's still a screen so it gets smudged and disgusting looking.

you see smudged and disgusting looking things in turned off monitors, huh

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

lol of course asus would hang the little touchpad screen off of the first port with the main monitor being the secondary

for real though, the os just sees screen 0 and screen 1, how is it supposed to know that the first is a weird touchpad hack job thing?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I think that the laptop designers didn't think it would be a problem because they assumed that users would not intentionally gently caress up their computer by installing a hobbyist server operating system on it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

what would the linux thread be without you

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tankakern posted:

what would the linux thread be without you

they are correct

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
I’ve got a couple vms running centos 8 for effectively toy websites and I’m looking to switch away after ibm decided to gently caress everything up. I’m on digitalocean so my options appear to be:
1) Debian. This has a lot of issues thanks to dumb patches from idiots
2) FreeBSD: this is a dead platform

Since this is just hobbyist bullshit I was thinking of going with FreeBSD but moving these servers is going to be a pain anyway I’d rather get something with a proper support lifecycle (i.e. why I picked centos in the first place). Is there a better recommendation? I can’t stay on centos and the alternatives suck. Thanks IBM

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Use Ubuntu 20.04

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

use the free rh license anyone can get

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

carry on then posted:

use the free rh license anyone can get

can this be used for digitalocean vms? i haven’t found anything about it but if that’s possible i could just use that until ibm decides to gently caress with everyone again

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

greps of wrath posted:

can this be used for digitalocean vms?

Yeah you should just be able to use this https://access.redhat.com/articles/2360841

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Use Slackware.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

greps of wrath posted:

I’ve got a couple vms running centos 8 for effectively toy websites and I’m looking to switch away after ibm decided to gently caress everything up. I’m on digitalocean so my options appear to be:

Since this is just hobbyist bullshit I was thinking of going with FreeBSD but moving these servers is going to be a pain anyway I’d rather get something with a proper support lifecycle (i.e. why I picked centos in the first place). Is there a better recommendation? I can’t stay on centos and the alternatives suck. Thanks IBM

just keep using centos stream i don't imagine for a toy website it'll be significantly different

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I mean, real answer here:

You should be using a container anyways for the site, so who cares what distro the server is running, so long as it runs podman, K8s, or docker.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I mean, real answer here:

You should be using a container anyways for the site, so who cares what distro the server is running, so long as it runs podman, K8s, or docker.

well I’m a stupid idiot who set this whole thing up using ansible (because that’s what rh supported) and now I’m stuck doing a transition. computers suck and all operating systems are the worst

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

greps of wrath posted:

well I’m a stupid idiot who set his whole thing up using ansible (because that’s what rh supported) and now I’m stuck doing a transition. computers suck and all operating systems are the worst

Stuff the source code in a docker container and fiddle with the settings until it works?

can you not deploy with Ansible and then copy the files to the same location that Ansible deployed them to in your container?

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Stuff the source code in a docker container and fiddle with the settings until it works?

can you not deploy with Ansible and then copy the files to the same location that Ansible deployed them to in your container?

not a bad idea. I’ve thought about containers for these sites before but I thought ansible had me covered. now that I’m wrong it makes sense to go this route

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
is that really where we ended up with Linux deployment though? pop it in a container and forget the underlying hardware and software? seems like a bit of a cop out to me but I only do deployment engineering as a hobby

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Yeah, if you have less than 16 servers, use redhat.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

greps of wrath posted:

use Debian

if you have a concern about dumb patches from idiots, I got bad news about using a linux distro

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

greps of wrath posted:

is that really where we ended up with Linux deployment though? pop it in a container and forget the underlying hardware and software? seems like a bit of a cop out to me but I only do deployment engineering as a hobby

well, considering storage is cheap and the added weight of a container ranges from 50MB to a gig, it’s not really worth custom bespoke servers anymore. That and you can turn on and off your containers much faster than a full server.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

greps of wrath posted:

not a bad idea. I’ve thought about containers for these sites before but I thought ansible had me covered. now that I’m wrong it makes sense to go this route

might as well go the container route if you haven't tried it, just to see how it's like, as long as it's not a critical service.

otherwise, you'll have to weigh your bets, but it's a good direction to take a hobby.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

DoomTrainPhD posted:

well, considering storage is cheap and the added weight of a container ranges from 50MB to a gig, it’s not really worth custom bespoke servers anymore. That and you can turn on and off your containers much faster than a full server.

sb hermit posted:

might as well go the container route if you haven't tried it, just to see how it's like, as long as it's not a critical service.

otherwise, you'll have to weigh your bets, but it's a good direction to take a hobby.

I think I was poisoned by my first job being in performance critical windows software. The idea that you can just increase your binary size by a gig is wild. We got hassled over 500k. My second job was deploying Java to already-provisioned servers. the idea of a container sounds good on paper but I’m skeptical. Don’t have much to lose though, these are far from critical services and i only fix them when I notice they’re broke.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

greps of wrath posted:

that's kinda the theme with where the industry is going, no? Ever increasing layers of abstraction from containers all the way down to electrically charged grains of sand.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

greps of wrath posted:

I think I was poisoned by my first job being in performance critical windows software. The idea that you can just increase your binary size by a gig is wild. We got hassled over 500k. My second job was deploying Java to already-provisioned servers. the idea of a container sounds good on paper but I’m skeptical. Don’t have much to lose though, these are far from critical services and i only fix them when I notice they’re broke.

it's the best platform to test since you have the drive to get it working but none of the pressure to get it working right away :xd:

And if you find it not worth your while, at least you can say that you tried it.

The Iron Rose posted:

that's kinda the theme with where the industry is going, no? Ever increasing layers of abstraction from containers all the way down to electrically charged grains of sand.

Yep. Until something breaks or acts out and you need to unravel all of that abstraction if you can't figure out what the problem is. Not to say that containers are bad or that there are any significant disadvantages. But it still adds another layer that has the tiny chance of being an issue later.

The only code without bugs is the code that was never written. But that code won't get you paid, of course.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

greps of wrath posted:

copping out is the name of the fuckin game. I don't want to artisanally janitor every precious baby computer, I want to shove nodes screaming into the worker pool two minutes after launch and then schedule a pile of containers into my undifferentiated mass of compute. knowing wtf is going on is a waste of time, node acts up then kill it and make a new one. who even knows what the underlying hardware is, it's a piece of a xeon plus a bunch of proprietary AWS chips they talk up at re:invent every year

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

copping out is the name of the fuckin game. I don't want to artisanally janitor every precious baby computer, I want to shove nodes screaming into the worker pool two minutes after launch and then schedule a pile of containers into my undifferentiated mass of compute. knowing wtf is going on is a waste of time, node acts up then kill it and make a new one. who even knows what the underlying hardware is, it's a piece of a xeon plus a bunch of proprietary AWS chips they talk up at re:invent every year

Yep. containers are also great for setting up development environments. Telling a new engineer on the team to just smash in “docker-compose build && docker-compose up -d” and now all your code is ready to index and compile is wonderful.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

greps of wrath posted:

Since this is just hobbyist bullshit I was thinking of going with FreeBSD but moving these servers is going to be a pain anyway I’d rather get something with a proper support lifecycle (i.e. why I picked centos in the first place).

nah, the BSDs are not a dead platform by any means, and both FreeBSD and NetBSD get regular updates

just use FreeBSD and have fun

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

who are funding the BSDs?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Lenovo Laptop Platform Profile Support Queued Ahead Of Linux 5.12

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

who are funding the BSDs?

https://freebsdfoundation.org/our-donors/donors/?donationYear=2020

there used to be a lot more donors at the top tier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

greps of wrath posted:

its worth distinctioning that containerizing an application doesnt on its own increase the size of the binary that is executed, though there is indeed less capability to have only one copy of a shared library in memory for multiple instances of an application

the container is a minimal set of system libraries and whatever is required to run the application in its own chroot (kind of), the fact that the atomic thing you deploy is a gig larger doesnt mean the application binary inside is

and this deployment allows you to do things like use a container base image with newer gcc and glibc than whatever host system, and compile with lto even if the physical machines are running an os version with a toolchain too old to support that, etc.