Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Payndz posted:

Any Paranoia art that isn't by Jim Holloway feels plain wrong.

Yeah, this is why I wasn't too impressed with the computer game, which seems to have this "Vault Guy" aesthetic for it's infographics instead of using something like the Holloway art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Mad Ronin
Aug 26, 2017

PeterWeller posted:

If you want to read good Paranoia style fiction, read Stanislaw Lem's Memoirs Found in a Bathtub. I'm almost certain it's the primary inspiration for the game.

Soviet writers in general really had a knack for that whole ‘authoritarianism taken to the point of absurdity’ genre of fiction.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

Soviet writers in general really had a knack for that whole ‘authoritarianism taken to the point of absurdity’ genre of fiction.

Lem was Polish :colbert:

And yeah, but also Memoirs Found in a Bathtub takes place in an underground facility where the protagonist is essentially a troubleshooter dealing with the same sorts of confusing and contradictory orders that define Paranoia adventures.

Oh and it turns out Poland has declared 2021 the Year of Lem, so now we all have to read it to support international relations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Guess I needed an excuse to go back to reading Lem, so thanks!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah the Paranoia novel I have (which I still can't believe was a thing) had a similarly bizarre tone. If I'm remembering right - haven't read it in years.
I had a copy of some kind of TORG/Paranoia crossover which seemed to "get" Paranoia pretty well.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nessus posted:

I had a copy of some kind of TORG/Paranoia crossover which seemed to "get" Paranoia pretty well.
Stormshooters and Troubleknights! I think that was just a fiction collection, not an actual game supplement.

Paranoia also had modules where you dimension-hopped into the Cyberpunk 2013 and Twilight:2000 settings, but I can't remember if they included any crossover rules or not.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I remember a one shot where an experiment transports Troubleshooters into WH40K to encounter some Orks boyz and the scenario concludes that after the initial shock and fighting the two sides may join forces as they both are into indiscriminately shooting people.

It was in some gaming magazine.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

By popular demand posted:

I remember a one shot where an experiment transports Troubleshooters into WH40K to encounter some Orks boyz and the scenario concludes that after the initial shock and fighting the two sides may join forces as they both are into indiscriminately shooting people.

It was in some gaming magazine.

It was white dwarf.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

If you're talking about Paranoia crossovers, might as well talk about the Call of Cthluhu crossover.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dedman Walkin posted:

If you're talking about Paranoia crossovers, might as well talk about the Call of Cthluhu crossover.

One of the three issues of Pyramid I own in hard copy.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

2300 AD Part 1: Intro and History

2300 AD is a special thing to me: often read and reread about as a teenager and young adult, but never really touched because my circles were always “This isn’t D&D, it’s too hard to learn, we’ll just play D&D.” It was a Hard Science Fiction setting and may have been the original inspiration for James S. A. Corey’s The Expanse novels. It was developed by Game Designer’s Workshop of Traveller fame, a sequel to their other game Twilight 2000, and has a setting that has been formative for my own visions of what a sci-fi setting should be like.
2300 AD was released in 1986, or at least an initial version of it was. The original version was released that year and named Traveller 2300 but didn’t use the same rules as the current version of Traveller nor did it share a setting, leading to confusion. Two years later, the creators released an expanded second edition renamed 2300 AD. The game never truly reached the same level of popularity as Traveller and was eventually dropped.

In my own words, 2300 AD is the brainchild of 80’s and 70’s Science Fiction films such as Alien and Aliens, Silent Running, and Outland; as well as the same wave of Novels that brought us Larry Niven’s Known Space and Ursula K. Le Guin’s Hainish Cycle, as well as C.J Cherryh’s Alliance-Union universe. The universe has the same used future feel as the Nostromo, Megacorporations and Governments vie for power with one another, and the aliens are right properly alien. There’s no unified human government, and aliens are most definitely not rubber forehead types. It just feels good to me in a way that is hard to express. Even the universe itself feels more down to earth: Humanity has only settled 32 worlds, while explorers push the frontiers out further where they can.

The setting was initially revised in 2007 by QuikLink Interactive as 2320 AD, which was a supplement for Traveller20… which was Traveller using the d20 system. I will briefly touch on 2320 AD, but for the love of god I will not touch on the other stuff they made because I don’t want to get derailed into making GBS threads on David Weber’s Honor Harrington and John Ringo’s Legacy of the Aldenata.
Later on, in 2012, Mongoose Publishing released an updated version of the 2300 AD setting as a sourcebook for their initial version of Mongoose Traveller. It is this version that this F&F will be looking at, but not at rules (except where appropriate); instead we will be looking at the setting of 2300 AD, starting with the history up to the year 2300. Then we will take a look at the nations of Earth, before moving on to the major Foundations and TransNats (2300’s own term for Weyland-Yutani style megacorporations), and then we’ll talk about the three arms of colonization: The American Arm, the French Arm, and the Chinese Arm. Following that, I may dig into 2320 AD to talk about some of the stuff there without spoiling anything.

Art for this Fatal and Friends will come from Etranger, a site focused on the military aspects of the 2300 AD setting, as well as any other surviving 2300 AD fansites. Most of these will be done by Laurent Esimol, a highly regarded 3D Artist who has done art for both 2320 AD and the newer 2300 AD version by Mongoose.

The History
The exact point of deviation between our timeline and the timeline of 2300 AD takes place somewhere in the 21st century- in universe, this is explained as being because almost all data and records were online or stored electronically and all that data infrastructure was either destroyed on purpose by cyberwarfare or by electro-magnetic pulses. The real reason for this is that multiple versions of Twilight 2000 exist, and they kept changing what exactly caused the Twilight War, and nobody wanted to put down “WW3 started with a reunified democratic Germany invading communist Poland.” In general, though, the book does tell us that there was a general but limited nuclear exchange in the early 21st century that saw heavy damage to most of the northern hemisphere and India, with France avoiding most of the damage and securing oil supplies in North Africa. What Twilight 2000 tells us is that a general war between NATO and the Soviet Union broke out and France unilaterally withdrew from NATO and closed its borders to all NATO forces, allowing it to survive the resulting nuclear exchange and following Broken-backed war with minimal damage compared others. This is not the first time that the phrase “France are assholes” will be appropriate.

Of course, other stuff happened in the world during Twilight, many of which will be talked about in detail when we talk about the various important nations of the world. The United States, for instance, fell into a multi-sided civil war between a Military Government, a Civilian Government, and the fascist and white supremacist New America movement while at the same time being invaded by Mexico. Ultimately the Military and Civilian Governments reunited and crushed New America, but Mexico had since seized and made good all of its losses from the first Mexican American War, only for Texas to eventually break away and form its own nation. Russia, meanwhile, was locked into a slapfight with what was left of Germany; while nations like India and China disintegrated into component parts with Germany ended up slapped so hard by Russia that it broke apart into various component nations.

In short, poo poo sucked. Only in 2079 did France emerge from its general isolationism, look around, and go “Hey we can run this.” In 2081, France launched a constellation of communications satellites and earth observer satellites, regained control of what geosynchronous communications satellites remained from before Twilight and took control of an old NASA deep space telescope. No-one else knew why France suddenly cared about space, only that France was offering access to these satellites in exchange for cooperation and renewed trade.
It was only later in 2089 when France revealed why it was so interested in space. In 2089, France launched an airbreathing shuttle into space that deployed a VASIMIR plasma rocket payload that went on to intercept an earth crossing asteroid that had greater than 1 in 20 odds of hitting earth. France used the goodwill of saving the Earth to get the global community talking again and restarted international trade, officially ending the twilight period.

One of the major events of the early Recovery period was France, along with Britain and some other European countries, invading Saudi Arabi to seize control of the oil fields of the Peninsula. The only western nation not devastated by the fighting, France re-established global trade and did its best to project power to protect that trade and its world spanning empire of outposts and islands; by 2100, the French were basically what the United States was in the late 90’s and 2000’s, imposing peace on the world even if nobody liked it.

The most important thing of this period is the general return to space of humanity after France’s space mission- by 2110, space near earth was cluttered with solar power satellites and orbital factories. Again, France’s interest in space paid off here, but there was still disputes in this period, leading to the Melbourne Accords. The Melbourne Accords are important to the setting and colonization, so I’ll just quote the major provisions here: “certain orbits around Earth were demilitarized, power satellites properly operated and certified were classified as civilian targets (rather than military targets) and other worlds (at that time the Moon, Mars, Mercury and the Jovian satellites) were declared open to colonization by all nations, with limits being placed on such colonization. The Melbourne Accords bound signatories to its provisions only with respect to other signatories.” In short, nobody could monopolize any single planetary body, but only signatories had rights under it. Most nations signed immediately, but major holdouts were the European Space Agency and Canton. While all this was happening, major resource wars happened, such as the French led invasion of Saudi Arabia, and a war between Canton and Indochina over oil, as well as a failed attempt by Russia to conquer Ukraine.

Of course, the exploitation of the solar system would’ve quickly died down, if not by 2130, humanity had developed functioning Faster than Light Travel: Stutterwarp. During this time, the first space habitats were developed at the Earth-Moon Lagrange points, at L4 and L5 specifically, serving as the blueprint for space based outposts just like how settlements on the Moon and Mars gave experience for building outposts on the ground. The first working starship was produced in 2146 by the European Space Agency, the nations that would go on to colonize the French Arm: France, Bavaria, Great Britain, and Azania (An alternate future version of South Africa). The first expedition of this ship to Alpha Centauri discovered a garden world, which was claimed only for the ESA. Soon enough, Argentina, Manchuria, and America had built their own starships and launched their own expeditions to nearby stars.

This is where we talk about the eclipse of France and the Alpha Centauri war. Ever since the end of Twilight, France had been THE Hyperpower in the world, but that position was beginning to fray. What truly put an end to the French Peace was the Alpha Centauri War. On discovering the world orbiting Alpha Centauri, the ESA claimed it in its entirety and began building transports. Argentina built warships and instituted a blockade of the planet. In the end, the French and the ESA nations were forced to sign the Melbourne Accords, and this saw French Hyperpower status finally broken. It also led to the breakout of various smaller wars around the world as nations tried to claim as much Tantalum as possible, because Tantalum is needed to build Stutterwarp drives. One of these was the Tantalum War between Indonesia and Bengal, which saw Indonesia come out on top and use the Tantalum they had won to build one of the setting’s major merchant fleets.

The 2100’s were called the Second Age of Exploration, and this is where many of the exploration voyages that mapped out known space happened. The oldest colonies were settled in this period, and wars were fought over prime territories and the rights to these colonies. This age also saw the first cases of Planetary Adaptation Syndrome, which was the difficulty of the human body to adapt to non-earth environments. This led to the growth of DNA Modifications, which became popular in the frontier because people needed them to survive, but far less popular in the Core, where media tended to portray DNA Modified individuals as somehow sub-human. This will be important later.

The 2100’s ended, and the 2200’s saw an increase in commerce and trade between the colonies and Earth. Earth depended on the resources of the colonies, and the colonies depended on Earth for goods, hence trade. This era also saw France begin to re-exert its power in various regions, most notably Africa, The Pacific, and the Middle East, becoming essentially a superpower by 2250. This period also saw regional disputes on Earth flare up and become major problems: South America found itself divided between Argentina and Brazil, who fought three Rio Plata Wars with one another; Vietnam became the object of a war between Canton and Indonesia, with Canton ultimately winning and turning Indochina into a puppet state.

The 2200’s are when humanity began to first contact alien species. Ebers, on the Chinese Arm, were first discovered when ruins were found on one planet, then another, before the post-apocalyptic remnants of the Ebers who were living in a society with technology roughly on par with Earth’s Renaissance were discovered. Also, on the Chinese arm were the Sung, a roughly humanoid race that was divided into numerous nations and had begun colonizing their solar system. In the same system were the Xiang, another intelligent race whose unique lifecycle and physiology meant that only the adult males of the species could really travel around. The Sung have this cultural thing where slavery is okay, but the slaver has to uplift the slave to their level and when they’re equal the slavery’s done with. The Sung were doing this with the Xiang, who don’t want technology at the moment, and the Sung were like “Cool free labor”. Canada and Manchuria were like ‘Nah gently caress that” and proceeded to fight a war with the Sung and liberate the Xiang. There’s also the Pentapods, who were met on the French Arm and started some limited trade with humanity, they're Amphibious aliens who use lots of Biotech. Then there’s the Kaefers. We’ll talk about the Kaefers later, but for now just know that the Kaefers showed up, captured a human research station, and then invaded the nearest world before their space force got beaten back.

Contact with the Pentapods led to a bit of a worry- the Pentapods make heavy use of genetic engineering, to the point where they draw no difference between themselves and their machines, and evidence points to most sophisticated Pentapod devices being engineered from creatures like Pentapods. Of course, in the Core, where DNAMs aren’t really used that much and are demonized, this led to vast protests against DNA modification, which led to a moratorium on further DNA modification research in 2186. This is not really that good, because new colonies can’t really get a tailored DNA Modification.
So, in the later half of the century, problems started happening. All that colonial trade? It was set up along mercantilist lines, where raw materials were shipped from the colonies to their mother nation, and finished goods were shipped from the home nation to the colonies. But by the 2250’s, colonies were becoming economically independent, or did most of their trade with other colonies. This led to an economic slump for earth nations because the colonies were still exporting raw goods but weren’t buying finished goods from Earth. This led to the established colonial powers slowing down their colonization programs, leading to a new round of less established nations in the 3rd Tier, like Brazil and Canada, establishing colonial programs.

This had other second order effects, such as a decline of nationalism on Earth (With one big exception), and then a pair of major wars in the 2280’s and 2290’s. The first was the Central Asian War, which pit France, Bavaria, Russia, and Japan against Manchuria in the Central Asian Republic, which was a megastate composed of many of the Central Asian ‘Stans, like Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikstan, etc. The war was ultimately won by France, but French prestige got a kick in the head because the war was only won with the assistance of Japan. The War of German Reunification was the other major conflict. Led by Westphalia, the various nations of Germany began to reunite into a single state, with only Bavaria, a French puppet, refusing. So Germany said “Okay Bavaria’s joining us”, France said “No they aren’t”, so the Germans ended up pushing across the Rhine and nearly reached Paris, forcing France to accept a reunification of Germany. At the same time, Flanders broke away from France as well.

This was all bad for France’s prestige and position, especially internally. After the Central Asian War, the French military staged a coup in 2289, overthrowing the 12th French Republic and establishing a system of monopolies that were profitable for the contractors, leading to the Junta to print money to pay national debt leading to runaway inflation. Then the French Military failed to deal with the Germans, and were forced to accept free elections, which saw wealthy industrialist and free-market advocate Nicholas Ruffin to power, who got the economy to stop breaking and was elected Emperor of the Third French Empire in 2298.
That is where the setting essentially stands as of 2300 AD, though there will be more details about local and regional events in the frontier. Humanity sits on 32 worlds and a few more outposts, divided into three ‘arms’. The local superpower is the Third French Empire, but there are other nations catching up and hoping to surpass them; meanwhile, plenty of colonies are fed up of being ruled by earth.

There’s a few traditional rivalries and traditional areas of cooperation as well, which are important to the way history has played out and to potential flashpoints and conflict in any game in the setting. There’s just as much traditional cooperation between nations too, however.

Franco-German Rivalry goes back to time immemorial, but the current rivalry dates back to France being forced to allowed Germany to reunite. Many German and French colonies now coexist on the same planet, leading to tensions. The European Space Agency still exists, and cooperation between the nations of that framework, even Germany, still seem to work just fine.

The Argentine British Rivalry also exists, solidified because of the Alpha Centauri War and the Falklands/Malvinas Islands. The Argentines also have a longstanding rivalry with Brazil, having fought three wars with one another and building up to a fourth.

Manchuria, which is the strongest of the Post-China states, has a rivalry with France purely over the Central Asian War; there’s a longer running rivalry with Japan over the control of East Asia. Canada, however, has a close and positive relationship with Manchuria, having cooperated with Manchuria in keeping the peace in the Chinese Arm, and for acting together during the Slaver War against the Sung. Canada also has close relations with the British, on account of a shared origin.

One of the more obvious rivalries is on the North American continent, where the United States of America (and Texas) are locked in something of a Cold War with Mexico over Mexico’s invasion of and control of the American Southwest, as well as Texas breaking away, and the constant American support for independence movements in the old Southwest. At the same time, America and Australia are the closest of allies on Earth, and have collaborated in colonizing the American Arm. The relations between both nations is similar to the 20th century Special Relationship between the US and UK.
Similarly, Indonesia and Australia have a rivalry based on pure proximity.

Everyone just hates Vanuatu, though. Vanuatu supports and harbors the anti-colonial terrorist group Earth First, and nothing named Earth First in Sci-fi has ever been good.

Next time, we talk about the nations of Earth and the Core Worlds: Earth and Tirane. While the Frontier is a place of opportunity and risk, the Core Worlds are something of a highly populated Cyberpunk place, filled with megacities, inequality, and the question of if gaining safety and prosperity at the cost of freedom is worth it. We’ll also take our first dip into one of the other main 2300 AD books. Libreville: Corruption in the Core Worlds, is focused on the Megacity of Libreville in modern day Gabon, the location of earth’s Beanstalk, or Space Elevator. The heart of Earth’s multi-world civilization, it is a massive megacity with a glittering city center surrounded by kilometers of slums.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 3, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nessus posted:

Oh I have the TORG novels too, but not the crossover! That sounds really cool.

WEG novels had the funkiest shape and feel, like nothing else published around that time. Slightly different size than normal, and heavy for the size. Very white paper, too.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
2300 is one of my favorite SF RPG properties, and I'm glad to see it getting the F&F treatment. It's very unusual in that it's an interstellar SF setting where the earth is not unified under a single One World Government but rather all the old 20th century nation states are still at it poking their elbows into one another (only this time with sprawling networks of space colonies).

One neat thing about the setting was that is was actually generated by a wargame. One of the designers set up a Diplomacy-like game featuring the world after the WWIII from Twilight:2000 played out, and got all of his GDW office mates to play the various nations as they recovered and expanded and allied and fought and discovered FTL travel and spread into space - the future "history" of the setting is literally just a record of the playthrough of a bunch of dorks in a warehouse in Normal, Illinois.

2300 also has unusually well though out alien races (which was something of a GDW trademark), although the main adversary race ended up with a very unfortunate name...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

FMguru posted:

in Normal, Illinois.

I'm sorry but there is a place called Normal?

Surely it should have a secret government base nearby.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Josef bugman posted:

I'm sorry but there is a place called Normal?

Surely it should have a secret government base nearby.
I live in Normal, Illinois. (No, really.)

Any rumors of a government base are greatly exaggerated. We mostly have chain restaurants and a university, with State Farm Insurance's headquarters just down the road.

I guess we have an electric vehicle plant now? That's getting kinda sci-fi.

I remember the GDW sign in our little downtown area way back then. Our local county history museum is, in fact, putting together a GDW Exhibit - I'm seeing if they want my Mythus books.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 3, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Awhhh.

I wanted a place called normal to be like Nightvale level weird. Occasional rips in space and time, stuff like that!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FMguru posted:

2300 also has unusually well though out alien races (which was something of a GDW trademark), although the main adversary race ended up with a very unfortunate name...

Is it the one already posted, or is there another, worse one?

Also intrigued by the aliens and would like to know more.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Josef bugman posted:

Awhhh.

I wanted a place called normal to be like Nightvale level weird. Occasional rips in space and time, stuff like that!
Yeah. Sorry to disappoint :) It's basically a suburb in the middle of cornfields - kept alive by State Farm Insurance and a few universities. Oh, and Beer Nuts. It's frankly weird to think of this as a part of the Midwest RPG Heartland, nowadays.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is it the one already posted, or is there another, worse one?

Also intrigued by the aliens and would like to know more.

I've already posted all the alien races discovered by 2300 AD humankind as of Jan 1st 2300 AD. The one with the unfortunate name are the Kaerfers- in the original version, they were called Kafers, which, uh, sounds dangerously like a South African slur towards black and colored peoples. It was supposed to be the german word for "beetle", but that more directly translates as Kaefers.

In other news, I'm also considering doing a look at the settings provided in the D20 Mecha Compendium, discounting Heavy Gear, Jovian Chronicles, and Gear Krieg.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Fivemarks posted:

I've already posted all the alien races discovered by 2300 AD humankind as of Jan 1st 2300 AD. The one with the unfortunate name are the Kaerfers- in the original version, they were called Kafers, which, uh, sounds dangerously like a South African slur towards black and colored peoples. It was supposed to be the german word for "beetle", but that more directly translates as Kaefers.

In other news, I'm also considering doing a look at the settings provided in the D20 Mecha Compendium, discounting Heavy Gear, Jovian Chronicles, and Gear Krieg.

Yeah I saw that name and immediately did a little double-take. Just making sure there's not something even worse coming down the pipe. Hoping that was something they didn't think through well and not a sign of other problems.

I'm super interested in the setting, though!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Fivemarks posted:

The real reason for this is that multiple versions of Twilight 2000 exist, and they kept changing what exactly caused the Twilight War, and nobody wanted to put down “WW3 started with a reunified democratic Germany invading communist Poland.”

I wonder if the setting premise is as dumb as the WW3 in the background of Twilight

Fivemarks posted:

The first was the Central Asian War, which pit France, Bavaria, Russia, and Japan against Manchuria in the Central Asian Republic, which was a megastate composed of many of the Central Asian ‘Stans, like Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikstan, etc.
<...>
The War of German Reunification was the other major conflict.
<...>
wealthy industrialist and free-market advocate Nicholas Ruffin to power, who got the economy to stop breaking and was elected Emperor of the Third French Empire in 2298.
<...>
Franco-German Rivalry goes back to time immemorial, but the current rivalry dates back to France being forced to allowed Germany to reunite.
<...>
The Argentine British Rivalry also exists, solidified because of the Alpha Centauri War and the Falklands/Malvinas Islands.
<...>

Everyone just hates Vanuatu, though. Vanuatu supports and harbors the anti-colonial terrorist group Earth First, and nothing named Earth First in Sci-fi has ever been good.

Yep :allears: Random power block formations, modern industrial nations engaging in 17c level of wars, dated historical grudges carried forward hundreds of years into space future, small states that everyone hates not being rolled immediately, it's all there!

It's like Tomorrow's War with French colonies fighting North Korean colony/Vietnam, and all the Good Guys and Bad Guys of Cold War Dad Lit authors not changing one bit in the future.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Awhhh.

Currently playing Control and the freaky incident that happened in the protag/PC's past took place in a town called Ordinary lol.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

JcDent posted:

Currently playing Control and the freaky incident that happened in the protag/PC's past took place in a town called Ordinary lol.

I love this sort of set up, I really do. It'd be like naming a place Interesting and it's only major export is paperclips.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

JcDent posted:

I wonder if the setting premise is as dumb as the WW3 in the background of Twilight

Yep :allears: Random power block formations, modern industrial nations engaging in 17c level of wars, dated historical grudges carried forward hundreds of years into space future, small states that everyone hates not being rolled immediately, it's all there!

It's like Tomorrow's War with French colonies fighting North Korean colony/Vietnam, and all the Good Guys and Bad Guys of Cold War Dad Lit authors not changing one bit in the future.

To be fair, the game does have subtext of "These nations are all imperialist and pretty bad." That, and I'll still take this over Honor Harrington any day of the week.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I love this sort of set up, I really do. It'd be like naming a place Interesting and it's only major export is paperclips.

Careful, bro, you wrote half a direct-to-TV movie about a teen who learns a Special Lesson about Loving What You Have.

Fivemarks posted:

To be fair, the game does have subtext of "These nations are all imperialist and pretty bad." That, and I'll still take this over Honor Harrington any day of the week.

Hey, Harrington at least filed the numbers off before going into MISSILE SALVOS MISSILE SALVOS MISSILE SALVOS :v:

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

One neat thing about the setting was that is was actually generated by a wargame. One of the designers set up a Diplomacy-like game featuring the world after the WWIII from Twilight:2000 played out, and got all of his GDW office mates to play the various nations as they recovered and expanded and allied and fought and discovered FTL travel and spread into space - the future "history" of the setting is literally just a record of the playthrough of a bunch of dorks in a warehouse in Normal, Illinois.

Have they ever put out any details about this wargame?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Mimir posted:

Have they ever put out any details about this wargame?

GDW didn't, but they're available:

http://www.waynesbooks.com/TheGame.html

And there's an updated/modified version that people are running:

https://sites.google.com/site/2300adgame/

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I once drove through a town called Arcanum in Darke county, Ohio. It was disappointingly small and disappointingly normal. The sun was out and there wasn't a single townsperson staring at me ominously from their front lawn as I passed through.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hypnobeard posted:

GDW didn't, but they're available:

http://www.waynesbooks.com/TheGame.html

And there's an updated/modified version that people are running:

https://sites.google.com/site/2300adgame/
It's always surprising to me how little care was often taken in preserving the, I dunno, deep history of the hobby. I guess they never though people would care, or simply never predicted there would be so much interest in these artifacts.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

dwarf74 posted:

It's always surprising to me how little care was often taken in preserving the, I dunno, deep history of the hobby. I guess they never though people would care, or simply never predicted there would be so much interest in these artifacts.

I think it's probably the latter. GDW did produce an actual wargame for WW3 (called, appropriately enough, The Third World War), but that was more tank-pushing than political maneuvering.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

SkeletonHero posted:

I once drove through a town called Arcanum in Darke county, Ohio. It was disappointingly small and disappointingly normal. The sun was out and there wasn't a single townsperson staring at me ominously from their front lawn as I passed through.

Only Eerie, Indiana, lives up to the name!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SkeletonHero posted:

I drove through a town in France called Die. To my relief, I didn't.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Payndz posted:

I drove through a town in France called Die. To my relief, I didn't.

Strange to name a town The.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Strange to name a town The.

The world will never be free from the stains of the Vichy government.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

dwarf74 posted:

Oh I have the TORG novels too, but not the crossover! That sounds really cool.

WEG novels had the funkiest shape and feel, like nothing else published around that time. Slightly different size than normal, and heavy for the size. Very white paper, too.

I have the Paranoia/TORG crossover novel somewhere in my garage. One really odd thing I recall about the original trilogy of TORG novels was the smell. They smelled different than other because. It wasn't an odor or a bad smell, just... different. It's been some long that I can't quite describe it with any accuracy and it was probably the glue/paper but I always thought the books smelled like Possibilities somehow.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PeterWeller posted:

Lem was Polish :colbert:

In Soviet-era Poland :colbert: :colbert:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mllaneza posted:

In Soviet-era Poland :colbert: :colbert:

I mean I grew up in Soviet era Great Britain, doesn't make me Soviet.

Edit: I've been to Hell (Michigan). Not nearly as warm as everyone makes out!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I feel rather lucky that Normal, Illinois lives up to its name tbh.

One of those truth-in-advertising moments

JcDent
May 13, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Edit: I've been to Hell (Michigan). Not nearly as warm as everyone makes out!

Look, things may look dire in the UK today, but back then, it was on the other side of the Iron Curtain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Mad Ronin
Aug 26, 2017

feedmegin posted:

Poland was never part of the Soviet Union, is was in the Soviet sphere of influence and politically dominated by that Union. Unlike Great Britain, which was not part of the Soviet Union or the Soviet sphere

:colbert::colbert::colbert:

But yeah, calling Lem 'Soviet' in the first place was inaccurate. So I stand corrected.