Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Batterypowered7 posted:

You don't have to watch Evangelion. You really don't.

I watched it in the hopes that all the jokes/references to it would make more sense. It didn't really help, and it wasn't a very good reason to watch Evangelion.

Here's a summary: Shinji didn't want to get in the robot basically the whole time. The "congratulations" scene is every bit as stupid in proper context. There's a disembodied head on the horizon after the apocalypse, and that's why it's in the memes.

azurite fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Heath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shSLPcp4C18

I watched this one about Daria the other day. I only saw a small handful of Daria episodes when I was younger but I always liked it when I saw it

Edit: it's less about Daria the show and more about what Daria symbolized as a character, but I think it's interesting

This video got me to look up some old episodes of Daria and the show has aged very, very well. The coloring book simple high school view of jocks/brains still feels a bit insufferably insular, but it's supposed to so I don't think I can fault the show for that.

My only gripe is the rereleases will never have the MTV soundtracks. I'd kill for a good :filez: version but I don't think one exists.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

The one good thing I can say about Doug is that the episode where he found a "lucky" hat had this really pretty piece of music written for it and they never used it again for any other episode.

Also, my "The Beets: Killer Tofu Tour '96" t-shirt worked as an effective conversation starter with women for more than a few occasions, so yeah, two things.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Someone posted the Doug soundtrack earlier and I'm surprised by both how many songs I remembered and by how many characters got their own themes

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

vaginite posted:

Also his agent is dating 3 kids stacked in a trench coat and nobody ever notices or mentions it.

Vincent Adultman is great. :haw:

AlphariusOmegon posted:

How does it feel being only half as accurate as a stopped clock.

Bojack Bad

I think it appeals to people who are looking for accurate depictions of very dark themes like depression, addiction, and dissatisfaction with life, and I'm just not into that. That kind of thing isn't really entertaining to me, ESPECIALLY in a show that's meant to at least have a tinge of comedy. The emotional whiplash makes the comedy less funny and the drama less gripping, at least for me.

That said, I went as Diane for one Halloween and I still have the jacket, because the jacket owns.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

YeahTubaMike posted:

That said, I went as Diane for one Halloween and I still have the jacket, because the jacket owns.

I went as Bojack Manman one year. I still have the sweater, but it is alas a bad sweater.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Vincent Adultman is great. :haw:

Probably one of the least immature people in the series.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I went as Bojack Manman one year. I still have the sweater, but it is alas a bad sweater.

This is mine from a few years ago, I still wear my sweater(it has leather diamond patches)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

azurite posted:

I watched it in the hopes that all the jokes/references to it would make more sense. It didn't really help, and it wasn't a very good reason to watch Evangelion.

Here's a summary: Shinji didn't want to get in the robot basically the whole time. The "congratulations" scene is every bit as stupid in proper context. There's a disembodied head on the horizon after the apocalypse, and that's why it's in the memes.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

This is mine from a few years ago, I still wear my sweater(it has leather diamond patches)

What episode of Doug was this

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Capntastic posted:

What episode of Doug was this

the one where Patti OD'd on Doug's couch

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

azurite posted:

i have never seen evelangelion and i think it makes sense out of context without any knowledge. have any knowledge? hoise by your own mind lol.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

azurite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H48GPv4BZI

You fool, you could have just watched this and saved yourself so much time.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H48GPv4BZI

You fool, you could have just watched this and saved yourself so much time.

Well, poo poo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The end makes more sense out of context than in context, honestly. It's like if you stitched the end of Wild Strawberries onto Pacific Rim- I can gather what the final scene is about, but what the gently caress is it doing here? Hence the Shinji rant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGMuaXIlckU

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
gently caress

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Is Doug the Shinji of his series? Or is he the Rei?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The "writing" is good on bojack but tweeny animation is not doing it any favors. https://www.newgrounds.com/collection/sublotangymustard One of the directors draws this cartoon in his free time, which I like way better because the animation and camera are freer, and the depressed people are not unrelateable millionaire kooks. Bojack is good character study, maybe the locked off nature of animation fits the sitcom diction, but the acting and filmmaking is so limited by what it is that it is not realistically better than, say....johnny bravo

But I think Judy, from Doug, said it best. "Acting! Avant Garde! Jackson Pollock!"

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Tuca and Bertie looked like Bojack with freer animation, but unfortunately sucked because it was all “adulting is haaaaard even though I’m 35!” which I find even less tolerable than “rich guy sad”

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Eh, it was fine

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I liked Bojack but it felt like they got kind of lazy with the overarching plot every season. Oh Bojack is a fuckup, then works on improving himself a little, things look okay, oh penultimate episode time to get dark and show how Bojack fucks up, final episode reflection and hopeful look at the future.

I realize its meant to show that working on yourself is hard, especially for someone like Bojack in a horrible place like Hollywoo, but eventually it just gets kind of repetitive and not really interesting to watch. Think they also realized this cause the b-plots kept getting more interesting with each season. Really dug what they did with Princess Carolyn and Diane over the seasons.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The right time to watch Evangelion is when you're fourteen years old and thinking pretty seriously about killing yourself

It is always the right time to watch Bojack, but only once

There is no right time to watch Doug

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Only time I can think of is if someone tries a reboot and people crawl out of the woodwork to complain that Doug Duo is ruining original Doug. Then it's okay to go have a look to verify that yes, the people who complain about modern She-Ra are goddamn loving lunatics.

I'm not even big on modern She-Ra, but come the gently caress on.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there any genuine nostalgia for original She-ra

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Das Boo posted:

Only time I can think of is if someone tries a reboot and people crawl out of the woodwork to complain that Doug Duo is ruining original Doug. Then it's okay to go have a look to verify that yes, the people who complain about modern She-Ra are goddamn loving lunatics.

I'm not even big on modern She-Ra, but come the gently caress on.

I'm glad Thundercats reboot immediately flopped and was cancelled despite the people making it trying their hardest to be the next big culture war battleground. That dude with the man bun making the soy face whilst talking about how epic the original 80s show was occupies the same cursed part of my brain as Ernest Cline driving George RR Martin around in his DeLorean.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I didn't even know there was a second Thundercats reboot. I remember the one that aired a while back that was in more of an anime style and I remember that being pretty good.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
The Netflix redub of Eva was amazingly better than the first English dub. It's then you realize Shinji isn't the main character - Misato is. She has more scenes, more lines, more impactful arcs, etc. Shinji takes a backseat after a point. It's wild what a good dub can do.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I honestly thought that the Rebuild of Evangelion movies were decent, although I haven't seen 3.33 yet. Much better than the series at least. Diebuster is still better.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Snarf in Thundercats Roar was the only time I enjoyed him rather than wanting to murder him, so pretty successful reboot IMO.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Heath posted:

I didn't even know there was a second Thundercats reboot. I remember the one that aired a while back that was in more of an anime style and I remember that being pretty good.

I got the impression that it was basically Teen Titans Go but Thundercats. On the one hand that's fine but on the other hand is there really any need for a second TTG with a way less bankable IP? I could be totally off base though.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Zushio posted:

I honestly thought that the Rebuild of Evangelion movies were decent, although I haven't seen 3.33 yet. Much better than the series at least. Diebuster is still better.
3.33 is either the best loving thing ever or completely unwatchable depending on who you ask, it owns

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Evangelion is really good, but if you don't like anime it won't change your opinion. That is my scalding hot take.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wtf is doug duo? the evolved form is called Dugtrio, and has been since gen 1.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AmbientParadox posted:

Is Doug the Shinji of his series? Or is he the Rei?

Doug is whichever character masturbates with their sister's socks while watching snuff films

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Don't watch Evangelion, play Dark Souls instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVgeIyZLL80

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

QuarkJets posted:

Doug is whichever character masturbates with their sister's socks while watching snuff films

Why would a Doug character be based on you?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Heath posted:

Is there any genuine nostalgia for original She-ra

There are a lot of creepy guys over 35 complaining about how unsexy the Netflix reboot of She-Ra is.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

bartok posted:

There are a lot of creepy guys over 35 complaining about how unsexy the Netflix reboot of She-Ra is.
I don't really know what she ra is but it's very obvious to me that what is going on there is that they never watched it and they also believe SJWs are real

bartok
May 10, 2006

Pretty good posted:

I don't really know what she ra is but it's very obvious to me that what is going on there is that they never watched it and they also believe SJWs are real

I only know of She-Ra from the hilariously bad He-Man & She-Ra Christmas Special that would air on Cartoon Network in the 90's. From what I gather the show is just a carbon copy of He-Man but with a lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

dougs real name is douglas