Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I don't think I like this narrator-with-personality we get sometimes in this strip.

Anyone else instinctively read that in Crypt-Keeper voice?

E: I just looked up some clips and wow, that puppet had a lot more expression than I remembered. There's an art to that sort of thing, knowing how to manipulate the mask for all those little movements and having them work together. Like the mouth for example; if it was a static puppet just doing that the aimless flapping would be obvious, but you add in some jaw movement side to side, the whole head and body move to add emphasis to the script, and the mough just falls into place with everything else to become convincing.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Rex Morgan narrator needs to get more Ella Cinders energy if we're supposed to take Buck's impending diabetic coma seriously.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Rex Morgan narrator needs to get more Ella Cinders energy if we're supposed to take Buck's impending diabetic coma seriously.

"Now Buck's blood pressure's a-droppin faster than a paralyzed pigeon in a downdraft"

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So not only are the employees forced to do three Zoom meetings per day, the boss also sends Dethany to harangue the others to get in the room like they can't do it on their own. This is some absolute spite right here.

Looks like I guessed more or less correctly. This whole plot really was just an excuse to tell Fiona and Rudy that they're adults and can now get married.

maltesh posted:

They contacted a billions of years old alien intelligence and then claimed responsibility over it and didn't ask it any relevant questions.

They terraformed the planet while they were there, and no one's quite sure how they did that.

They subsequently lost all uncontaminated samples of the pre-terraformed Mars that they took, through their own incompetence.

They've awakened the murderous Martian mermaids which probably means that no follow-on missions will be accepted.

They did manage to get Mars to save human civilization, though, so that probably balances the scales for now.

Don't forget that they caused massive societal upheaval on Earth by telling them that Earth Mermaids have been living there all along, and then 'solved' the problem of people being wary of this civilization that's been hiding in their waters all this time by telling people that they can gently caress mermaids.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Kliban was born in 1935

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Green Intern posted:

I'm reading it in Boris Karloff's voice and it's been great.
I had kind of an old cowboy voice in my head but I like this idea.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Uh... he enjoys sleeping with sweat dripping on his face?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

no one understands the heartache,
nobody thinks to mock,
no one ever sees the tears,
when you're sleeping under a sweaty sock.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

amigolupus posted:

So not only are the employees forced to do three Zoom meetings per day, the boss also sends Dethany to harangue the others to get in the room like they can't do it on their own. This is some absolute spite right here.

I'm just glad Holbrook was able to express the complicated, hard-to-understand idea of "gathering people" with such a simple and effective visual metaphor.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The Shadow and Flyin' Jenny Aug. 19th-20th

Axa

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Axa would be way better - and sexier even, since that's obviously what it's going for - if the protagonist were more competent.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 25, 1943)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Honestly, would a lobotomized Axa even act any different than usual?

Medenmath posted:

Axa would be way better - and sexier even, since that's obviously what it's going for - if the protagonist were more competent.

The comic comes across like an action hero movie, except the camera is always trained on the cheesecake love interest.

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 3, 2021

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah I'm still having a hard time suspending my disbelief on this. Even if Mark Trail is white, he destroyed at least two boats (maybe three?) and a helicopter and I feel like the pilot of the helicopter probably did not jump out just before the explosion. How is Mark not on the run from the police right now? They know it was him, it's not like his identity was hidden.

I just really don't see a satisfying explanation for what happened unless the strip comes out and says "Yeah Mark imagined the whole thing, he got beat up by a cop and told 'don't do it again' before he did any real damage." But so far it seems like we're supposed to take the events at face value which I can't do.

I was really enjoying nu Mark Trail up to the speedboat chase. The speedboat chase sequence was literally Looney Tunes stuff - an action sequence without much justification ending in enormous amounts of explosive property damage, for a gag, with no meaningful consequences. It's like Daffy blowing up his house, then a 3 second montage of him repairing it, then things just go on. Fine in Brewster Rocket, but very much the wrong tone for something that had been working as a fast-moving soap drama with eco-education on Sundays.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Good thing the sterile metal robots lacking hair and breath were all wearing surgical caps and face masks! :allears:

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (February 6, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (March 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (March 6, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (August 6, 1935)

Dark Laughter (July 26, 1941)

Mopsy Sunday (April 20, 1947)

Those Were the Days (May 10, 1951)

Dinky Fellas (April 27, 1965)

Wee Pals (April 27, 1965)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

I had kind of an old cowboy voice in my head but I like this idea.

I wish the narrator was making puns, then I could imagine the Crypt Keeper.

Working Daze is gross.

Working Daze is ah gently caress I forgot they were doing this.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix would probably want minimum wage, anyway.

Cul De Sac is easy to impress.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ha ha holy poo poo that Dark Laughter.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Qrais
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4592733037?psc=1&tag=lvdrfree-22&th=1&linkCode=osi

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I cannot wait to see more of this storyline about ~personal responsibility~ and never have them ever show something like Buck finding out his insurance has changed what insulin they cover and not tell him, again, leading to a heath crisis as he can’t fill his prescriptions or get new ones for weeks. Buck carefully rationing his meds. Buck being told to his face he’s not taking care of himself enough to get an insulin pump. Some real Diabetes problems.

Yeah. Me, I was waiting for Buck to discover that his insurance covers a whole ONE test strip a day!

I, uh, may have just been diagnosed with DM2 myself.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

curtadams posted:

I was really enjoying nu Mark Trail up to the speedboat chase. The speedboat chase sequence was literally Looney Tunes stuff - an action sequence without much justification ending in enormous amounts of explosive property damage, for a gag, with no meaningful consequences. It's like Daffy blowing up his house, then a 3 second montage of him repairing it, then things just go on. Fine in Brewster Rocket, but very much the wrong tone for something that had been working as a fast-moving soap drama with eco-education on Sundays.

Yeah it's what the strip had been and what it still is trying to be that makes me unable to accept the speedboat chase. If we had a series of Pooch Cafe strips where Poncho blew up the cafe and his house and the neighbor's house, and then the next week things were back to normal, nobody would be saying "Wait what happened to Poncho blowing up all those buildings?" because it's a goofy gag strip and we're not meant to be thinking about stuff like that. But Mark Trail is a drama strip and you can't just have as someone else put it a Family Guy-esque sequence where loads of destruction happens and Mark Trial just walks off going "Wow that sure was crazy!" and never mention it again or show any consequences. It doesn't fit. And while I'm aware a couple of people have said "No just wait maybe it'll come up again" I don't have any faith in that. We've already had the "Well I blew up another speedboat" "Ha ha no wonder our insurance is so high!" gag, and Rusty making a joke about video of it, and those just downplay the severity of the situation in a way that it would be really weird to turn around and suddenly treat it as a big serious thing.

I'm not saying new Mark Trail is bad or anything, and I'm totally in support of having a gag strip or two to lighten the mood since this is supposed to be a new version of him, but the speedboat chase stands out as extremely bad writing and I just can't get over it, or at least not until a new story arc happens.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Don't say braingasm.

The GC Commentariat, deciding to be useful for once, are pointing out that Bernice is actually innocent of these charges. She was instead trying to rat out the boy she liked:

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

BSS: Batman's Scrappy Sidekick › Comic Strips 2021:Comfort Me, Giant Nekonaughey

Scary Gary :drac:

Wouldn't corpses make good compost?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

And THAT'S why you always leave a note.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 25, 1943)

Val is such a good diplomat as well. Preempt a plundering by turning it into an offering and get help from the native people in the same go. After all, it's not like that's his cargo to protect.

Also I really like how the Ahab subplot resolves here.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

I like how Torsten is such an utter poo poo.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (May 24-28, 1999)

Remember when I said that in the K&K universe everything is sentient, even some plants? Yep.

First appearance: Daisy.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Circus Windows Down the Meat Toilet

From the website

John Allison posted:

Nighthawks at the diner. For Tackleford historians, Efe’s Kebab Shop (which previously appeared in Giant Days #49) was once Dorado’s restaurant (see Bobbins Dot Horse, early 2020), above which Ryan Beckwith lived until well into Scary Go Round. It has now been bisected into a shawarma spot and a minicab office. I know because I put the dividing wall in there myself in Sketchup.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/2/01

Brenda Starr 10/28/45

Hasn't Messick already done this "Brenda goes to a fashion show and is mistaken for a model" plot already?

And I'm pretty sure the designer is being played by Franklin Pangborn.

Smokey Stover 5/25-27/39

I didn't notice until I posted this that Holman's version of an African is peeking out of the background in the last panel; I just glanced at it and thought it was another appearance by Spooky the cat at first. So hey, you guys get to see it after all.

And that, finally, is the end of the jungle story!

Richard's Poor Almanac

This one is probably from 2003, when Earth and Mars made their closest approach in 60,000 years.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 3, 2021

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm Haha, this is good.

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

FrumpleOrz fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 3, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 3, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 3, 1999)

Garfield Classic (June 3, 1989)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mikl posted:

Remember when I said that in the K&K universe everything is sentient, even some plants? Yep.

First appearance: Daisy.

Oh no

Family Circus

Rose is Rose :3:

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Everyone in every Holbrook comic is the worst.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
:drat: Talkin' about downtown Skidmark CIty there

Also, when and how did Bernice the Barren get Tara kicked out of the university?

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise