Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

namlosh posted:

I am the luckiest man alive. Our office is stocked with them and when we downsized, they said we could grab them before the liquidators got there. I was able to smoooosh 3 into my Honda Accord.
One for me, one for the wife and one for the kiddo.

We use the crap out of them. All vintage 2004 and still look absolutely new.

Whoever mentioned getting a headrest for my existing chair, thank you. I looked again and they aren’t nearly as goofy as I remember:
amazon link
It costs as much as an actual chair, lol

It’ll be here Friday, along with a bunch of replacement foam pieces that have absolutely disintegrated on ours.

Try to replace the foam without removing the seat mesh, if you can. The seat mesh is really annoying and difficult to put back, although it's probably not as hard to do if you have someone helping you. I did it by myself and it was really, really annoying to do alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Did Costco stop carrying the Chobani Less Sugar 12 pack of yogurt (the light/tan box, not the blue box)? I was in there today and they did not have any, and my wife is heartbroken.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I saw it this weekend when I went :shrug:

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

poisonpill posted:

I saw it this weekend when I went :shrug:

Thank you for the hope friend

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Samadhi posted:

Did Costco stop carrying the Chobani Less Sugar 12 pack of yogurt (the light/tan box, not the blue box)? I was in there today and they did not have any, and my wife is heartbroken.

Out here in the middle of the ocean they often just stop carrying stuff randomly. But it almost always come back. Frozen Orange juice, jimmi dean breakfast sausage etc.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

namlosh posted:

I am the luckiest man alive. Our office is stocked with them and when we downsized, they said we could grab them before the liquidators got there. I was able to smoooosh 3 into my Honda Accord.
One for me, one for the wife and one for the kiddo.

We use the crap out of them. All vintage 2004 and still look absolutely new.

Whoever mentioned getting a headrest for my existing chair, thank you. I looked again and they aren’t nearly as goofy as I remember:
amazon link
It costs as much as an actual chair, lol

It’ll be here Friday, along with a bunch of replacement foam pieces that have absolutely disintegrated on ours.
OK, we're really past our church clatch talk here, but I gotta know from people who have opinions and/or anecdata about 'em: I've sat in loads of Aerons over the decades(!), but how's the Steelcase Leap compare?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Washout posted:

Out here in the middle of the ocean they often just stop carrying stuff randomly. But it almost always come back. Frozen Orange juice, jimmi dean breakfast sausage etc.

i wouldnt trust flotsam frozen goods from shipwrecked cargo containers personally

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

minidracula posted:

OK, we're really past our church clatch talk here, but I gotta know from people who have opinions and/or anecdata about 'em: I've sat in loads of Aerons over the decades(!), but how's the Steelcase Leap compare?

I own both, the leap is like an extremely sturdy and comfortable version of a normal office chair, whereas the aeron feels like it's trying to get you in some sort of posture. They're both equally sturdy and comfortable, but comfortable in different ways. The leap is much easier to sit in weird positions, for example.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Alan Smithee posted:

what's so special about this steelcase

I looked at pics and it looks like...an office chair

I've been working from home since the pandemic started and was sitting in an old lovely $75 office chair that was falling apart and hurting my back/neck no matter how hard I tried to sit straight. I got a Steelcase in September because I kept hearing about them and an office supply store down the road had used ones for $300. I've never felt better sitting in my chair, and the thing is extremely adjustable. I lean hard on the armrests and they show no sign of wear at all whereas my old chair started getting hosed up immediately. Even when I slouch in it like a lazy gently caress I feel great.

It also really helped that my office offered a stipend up to $300 on WFH purchases so it was mostly free once I factored in sales tax :toot:

Seriously though its a great chair and always invest in your most used tools.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I bought an Aeron years back and was never able to get comfortable in it, so returned it for a Leap v2 and have been super happy with the decision. I know plenty of people who love their Aerons though, so I think you just have to sit in both and see what works best. I'll just say I was glad I bought from a place with a 30 day no hassle return window.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

My wife makes amazing brownies using the cocoa powder from Costco. They're super rich and dark chocolatey and not very sweet.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Samadhi posted:

My local Costco has been really spotty with some items over the last 6 or so months including the yogurts, but usually it comes back in a couple of weeks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
looks like Herman Miller has a “gamer” line of colorways now

Gamer Embody and Aeron look boring as poo poo. Regular Embody looks way better. Gamer Sayl has some dope colors though.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

medchem posted:

My wife makes amazing brownies using the cocoa powder from Costco. They're super rich and dark chocolatey and not very sweet.

I've never seen coca powder at costco, and I look every time

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

It's this stuff:

https://www.costco.com/rodelle-gourmet-baking-cocoa-powder,-25-oz.product.100381408.html

I find it by the baking goods area.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

StormDrain posted:

The packaging of the FitCrunch bars makes me feel like I'm ordering a Tony Little Gazelle. Real as seen on TV vibes.

They're good tho.

You guys do know that Robert Irvine is a TV chef. So it absolutely is As Seen on TV...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
when i first got my aeron it took a week or two for my back to adjust. i found it pretty uncomfortable at first coming from my old chair (which was fine but would let me sit in all sorts of awkward positions that the aeron wont allow) and almost took it back but its great now

that steelcase looks pretty good though id definitely want to check it out in person first

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Picked up a Firman 3 fuel generator to offset any seasonal power outages. This thing is a beast.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I just need a chair that will stop me from lifting my right foot and sitting on it. (I mean wearing shoes when WFH would work but gently caress that)
A couple of days of that and i get some horrible pains but I just can't help myself

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Why do you lift your foot up? Do you need to sit higher, or is the floor too far away maybe?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

tango alpha delta posted:

Picked up a Firman 3 fuel generator to offset any seasonal power outages. This thing is a beast.

How is it for power quality? Will (eg) your UPSs and so on charge themselves from it?

Unfortunately the harmonics are pretty bad on a lot of generators and electronics don’t like them, they see the power quality as bad enough they stay tripped and won’t start charging.

There was a deal a while back for $3600 (plus installation) and get a 10% shop card for the 20 kW Honeywell whole-home natgas standby generators, unfortunately I wasn’t ready to buy at that time and they haven’t gone on sale again that I’ve seen (the closer of the stores to me seems to have stopped carrying them). If you have the financial means, that seems like the best solution, good power quality and it automatically transfers the whole house if power goes out.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Paul MaudDib posted:

How is it for power quality? Will (eg) your UPSs and so on charge themselves from it?

Unfortunately the harmonics are pretty bad on a lot of generators and electronics don’t like them, they see the power quality as bad enough they stay tripped and won’t start charging.

There was a deal a while back for $3600 (plus installation) and get a 10% shop card for the 20 kW Honeywell whole-home natgas standby generators, unfortunately I wasn’t ready to buy at that time and they haven’t gone on sale again that I’ve seen (the closer of the stores to me seems to have stopped carrying them). If you have the financial means, that seems like the best solution, good power quality and it automatically transfers the whole house if power goes out.

Yeah, there are hidden costs when buying a generator to power your home. I highly recommend connecting your electronics to a good UPS to clean up the power.

e: I bought an APC Smart UPS 1500 many years ago. It's one of the few consumer UPS that is generator certified.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I’ll bet the steelcase is awesome too. Supposedly at least one of the reasons the Aerons are so popular is because they come shipped in a huge box fully assembled. Just roll it out and sit down. No need to have people onsite building them... of course I’m sure that adds to the cost.

Generator chat: is it an inverter type or “gen-set”? I always wanted a generator but live in an apartment now so it would be stupid. One day...

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

namlosh posted:

Generator chat: is it an inverter type or “gen-set”? I always wanted a generator but live in an apartment now so it would be stupid. One day...

It's a regular non inverted generator that can use gasoline, propane tanks or a direct natural gas line for fuel. Because I've run all my electronics on UPS' for years, the inversion feature wasn't that important for me.

Generators need a lot of ventilation, which is why it's a good idea to build a permanent outdoor enclosure if the generator is meant as a backup power source for your home. I honestly have no idea how you'd do that for an apartment.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 3, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

A generator has always been on the "would be nice to have" list, but in 15 years in this house we've only lost power a handful of times and never for more than 15 minutes. Makes it easy to kick down the road. I really should get one though, since I have thousands in aquarium livestock that would be toast if we ever lost power for more than a day.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

tango alpha delta posted:

It's a regular non inverted generator that can use gasoline, propane tanks or a direct natural gas line for fuel. Because I've run all my electronics on UPS' for years, the inversion feature wasn't that important for me.

Generators need a lot of ventilation, which is why it's a good idea to build a permanent outdoor enclosure if the generator is meant as a backup power source for your home. I honestly have no idea how you'd do that for an apartment.

Nice, running through a UPS makes good sense.

And when I said one day, I meant when I get a house or something. You’re right that an apartment wouldn’t be a good place for one lol

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
Has anyone tried this Air Fryer? It's apparently a door deal at $39.99 and if it works well enough, that's a hell of a deal.

Gourmia 6 Quart Digital Air Fryer

https://www.costco.com/gourmia-6-quart-digital-air-fryer.product.100671799.html

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

medchem posted:

Unless you’re calling brownie mix cocoa powder it shouldn’t be sweet in the first place. Chocolate for baking is an entirely different beast than chocolate for eating.

If it’s plain powder for baking then that just means your wife has a good recipe!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I was quoted like $2,000 to install a generator hookup to the house. Was that in line with what it should cost?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Trastion posted:

You guys do know that Robert Irvine is a TV chef. So it absolutely is As Seen on TV...

I love Robert Irvine on TV. Big tough British Navy man who's still buff at like 60.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

poisonpill posted:

I was quoted like $2,000 to install a generator hookup to the house. Was that in line with what it should cost?

I'm not sure because that depends on the home. it would be a good idea to shop around. There's a ton of things that can go wrong if you incorrectly connect a generator directly to your home's breaker box. Be very careful and get a good electrician to do the wiring for you. This is one area that you do NOT want to gently caress around with.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

poisonpill posted:

I'd say it's in the ballpark. Lots of site specific factors. Is it inside or outside, whole house or for specific appliances, hardwire generator or a cord hookup.

I looked into it seriously for about a day and gave up, I've had one power outage in the past couple of years that was overnight and we got by fine, I've got more pressing needs. All I would consider now is a little guy that I could stretch an extension cord to the fridge and use. Realistically a fridge full of food is much cheaper than a generator, so it would be mostly for camping or like, tailgating? Both of which I get by just fine without. I guess I actually don't have much use for a generator.

I'd want a gen if I was living in the mountains and would freeze to death without it.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Geodude posted:

Has anyone tried this Air Fryer? It's apparently a door deal at $39.99 and if it works well enough, that's a hell of a deal.

Gourmia 6 Quart Digital Air Fryer

https://www.costco.com/gourmia-6-quart-digital-air-fryer.product.100671799.html

That's the one I have and it's fine as an air fryer. It has a horrible plastic smell the first few times you use it, though, so run it empty a few times in a ventilated area before you cook with it. I'm guessing most air fryers are the same, and it doesn't smell plasticy or anything after the first few times.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

All this fancy chair talk has resulted in me buying a slightly discounted steelcase leap from amazon warehouse. Lookin forward to it, thanks thread

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

My wife and I bought each other La-Z-Boy recliners a few years ago. They are the last chair I'll ever own.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

norp posted:

I just need a chair that will stop me from lifting my right foot and sitting on it. (I mean wearing shoes when WFH would work but gently caress that)
A couple of days of that and i get some horrible pains but I just can't help myself

The Aeron might actually be the chair for you, from what I read! There is a hard plastic rim that goes around the outside edge of the seat, and if you try sitting on your foot, it would be super uncomfortable and dig into your skin.

That's actually the main reason I didn't want to get an Aeron. I like sitting cross legged sometimes on my office chair, and the Leap still let me do that. Loads of reports that the Aeron is a great chair but not if you like sitting weird sometimes.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I'd want a gen if I was living in the mountains and would freeze to death without it.

If that was the case you would have a gas fireplace or more likely a wood stove to prevent that.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

pezzie posted:

The Aeron might actually be the chair for you, from what I read! There is a hard plastic rim that goes around the outside edge of the seat, and if you try sitting on your foot, it would be super uncomfortable and dig into your skin.

That's actually the main reason I didn't want to get an Aeron. I like sitting cross legged sometimes on my office chair, and the Leap still let me do that. Loads of reports that the Aeron is a great chair but not if you like sitting weird sometimes.

Can confirm: the plastic rim makes it so there's really one way to sit in the chair, but fear not, there are other ways to abuse your body! I used to sit in my Aeron and put my feet way under the chair, where all by themselves they'd find a way to lock themselves into the spokes of the chair. Once there, they'd pull on my legs, pressing them against the same plastic rim we've mentioned, until my legs fell asleep.

The rest of the time, the Aeron is like a space hammock for your body. A space hammock that does not filter farts whatsoever.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
+1 i used to do stuff like that the aeron basically punishes you for trying to sit any way that isnt normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I tried out the current Herman Miller and Steelcase ranges before getting a new chair for work (I’m 6’ 7” and most chairs don’t fit me very well). The HM chairs seem to be more “opinionated” about how you should sit. The Leap fit me a lot better so that’s what I ended up with.

I would really try to check out these chairs in person before buying though. Look up who the local distributors are and try to schedule a time to come in and try out the chairs.