Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Casu Marzu posted:

Is this one of the textured surface pans? Cuz if it does get hosed up one more time, you can jump start everything by sanding the interior. The textured pans like the Lodges never get truly almostnon-stick.

Is that what is going on with my Dutch oven? It has a weird stippled texture and it won't dull or smooth even after using it for almost a year. God dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Lodges and/or other cast iron with the "pebbled" bottom can be jerks to keep seasoned. I had better luck after I took a flap wheel on an angle grinder and polished them down smooth.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Pretty simple solution - just take care of it and don't leave it uncleaned, and she won't be tempted to dunk it. I always find it's easier to scrape before it cools a lot anyhow...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://youtu.be/a5NbQwzwUTw

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I clean mine with a wad of aluminum foil, doesn’t scratch but is effective at getting off stuck food.

As to seasoning, so far I still don’t see a good sheen on the one spot but it appears the “get really tucking hot, apply oil, put back on heat” stovetop method seems to do much better than the oven.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Don’t know where to ask so I’ll just ask here since it’s food related. Coconut water. What brands are worth trying?

I've been drinking a shitload of coconut water lately and I've tried just about every brand available to me at the grocery store and a few more from Asian and Latin markets. I find that a lot of the brands add citric acid to preserve the color, but often as not I can taste it and I don't like how it makes the coconut water too tart.

There are two brands I can find pretty reliably that just list "coconut water" on the ingredients label and nothing else, Zico and C2O. They taste the best to me, although the packaging does make a difference. The ones in the cans always taste a little bit metallic, go for the cardboard carton if you can find it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I have no idea where to ask this, so I'll ask here.

One of my biggest culinary losses from the pandemic is the ability to eat out at hibachi restaurants. In particular, I miss the amazing fried rice. I've tried with varying degrees of success to make it at home, but after tons of Google searching and experimentation, I just can't nail down the taste that I get from any of my good local hibachi places.

My general, go-to fried rice recipe is:
- Cooked white rice (day-old if possible, or spread out and dried)
- Butter
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Onions and/or carrots
- Egg (scrambled, added toward the end)
- Salt
- Black pepper
- Meat of choice (pre-cooked, added toward the end)
- Seasoning varies as I experiment (ginger, garlic, red pepper, etc.)

I have the cooking methodology down, and the results are always tasty, tender rice with a good sesame flavor, but there's always a flavor I'm missing that I can't identify. Something with bite, maybe umami-type flavor? I've had friends recommend Chinese mustard, but I don't have that easily available here.

Any ideas? Most of the Japanese-style fried rice recipes I've found online use this same general base, but they just never taste like any of my local restaurants.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

WhiteHowler posted:

One of my biggest culinary losses from the pandemic is the ability to eat out at hibachi restaurants. In particular, I miss the amazing fried rice. I've tried with varying degrees of success to make it at home, but after tons of Google searching and experimentation, I just can't nail down the taste that I get from any of my good local hibachi places.

- Butter
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Onions and/or carrots
- Salt
- Black pepper

I have the cooking methodology down, and the results are always tasty, tender rice with a good sesame flavor, but there's always a flavor I'm missing that I can't identify. Something with bite, maybe umami-type flavor? I've had friends recommend Chinese mustard, but I don't have that easily available here.

Any ideas? Most of the Japanese-style fried rice recipes I've found online use this same general base, but they just never taste like any of my local restaurants.

Possibly a dumb question: Have you tried cutting the salt back and adding MSG?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

feedmegin posted:

Can't believe noone's mentioned onion bhajis yet

These bhajis are really tasty.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Fish sauce might provide the flavor you're after but I fall back on that all the time so it might just be a gut reaction.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
MSG for sure. I always use fish sauce too, but they probably aren't using that at your local hibachi. I also use garlic, which I have seen at the hibachi joints.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tried to make stock from pork bones (leftover from an attempt to make pork belly into bacon).

Simmered for about 12 hours total (added bay leaf, onion, garlic clove, a bit of pepper). If covered, the water kept rising to a boil. If uncovered (even slightly) the water kept evaporating at a steady pace, so I had to replace it (maybe that's why the flavor isn't really concentrated?). Threw in a lot of water for the last 5 hours, and ended up with approximately two cups worth of liquid to cook a cup of rice:

Uh... it tastes like rice. Not particularly pork flavored. Adding in the egg as I took the rice off the heat and left it covered to steam was a good idea, but that's probably the most flavorful ingredient in the whole thing.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

WhiteHowler posted:

- Butter
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Onions and/or carrots
- Salt
- Black pepper

What you are looking for is a bottle of Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce. Can find online or at any Asian grocery store.

It’s what every Chinese place I know uses for fried rice, not soy sauce. It’s a little richer, darker, more umami and less sharp than soy sauce.

Also, like a sprinkle of MSG and sugar goes into every fried rice.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

poeticoddity posted:

Possibly a dumb question: Have you tried cutting the salt back and adding MSG?

Not a dumb question at all. I haven't tried it -- I grew up with really bad migraines, and my doctor said to cut out MSG, so while I don't really avoid it in restaurants, I've never kept it in the house. I can give it a try. Is there a rule of thumb on how much to use versus salt?

Doom Rooster posted:

What you are looking for is a bottle of Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce. Can find online or at any Asian grocery store.

It’s what every Chinese place I know uses for fried rice, not soy sauce. It’s a little richer, darker, more umami and less sharp than soy sauce.

Also, like a sprinkle of MSG and sugar goes into every fried rice.
Now we're talking! I'll give this a try too. We do have a few Asian markets around here, but I'm in the deep South U.S. and nobody's taking pandemic precautions seriously at all, so I'm doing everything via mail order or delivery right now.

Thanks goons! I'll report back.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

WhiteHowler posted:

Not a dumb question at all. I haven't tried it -- I grew up with really bad migraines, and my doctor said to cut out MSG, so while I don't really avoid it in restaurants, I've never kept it in the house. I can give it a try. Is there a rule of thumb on how much to use versus salt?

Now we're talking! I'll give this a try too. We do have a few Asian markets around here, but I'm in the deep South U.S. and nobody's taking pandemic precautions seriously at all, so I'm doing everything via mail order or delivery right now.

When it dissolves, MSG dissociates into a sodium ion and a glutamate ion.
Glutamate is actually a neurotransmitter that you produce, and the notion that it causes headaches is actually tied to some really racist newspaper articles decades ago instead of any empirical research.
If the glutamate in MSG could get through your blood brain barrier and interact directly with your brain, it'd probably kill you.
The issues people attribute to MSG are either the nocebo effect, issues with sodium, or issues with the food that contains MSG.

MSG has about 1/3rd of the sodium of table salt because glutamate is significantly heavier than chlorine. A little can go a long way, though.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

WhiteHowler posted:

A little goes a long way on MSG. Like, 1/8th tsp added to a full batch of fried rice if you’re already adding soy/golden mountain.

I applaud your caution re: going to the store. If it helps though, the Asian markets are typically not filled with anti mask morons. I have literally never seen a mask less person any of the times I’ve gone, many wearing face shields too, and 3/4 of my regular places have dudes at the door checking masks and requiring people stop and use hand sanitizer before entering.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Tried to make stock from pork bones (leftover from an attempt to make pork belly into bacon).

Simmered for about 12 hours total (added bay leaf, onion, garlic clove, a bit of pepper). If covered, the water kept rising to a boil. If uncovered (even slightly) the water kept evaporating at a steady pace, so I had to replace it (maybe that's why the flavor isn't really concentrated?). Threw in a lot of water for the last 5 hours, and ended up with approximately two cups worth of liquid to cook a cup of rice:

Uh... it tastes like rice. Not particularly pork flavored. Adding in the egg as I took the rice off the heat and left it covered to steam was a good idea, but that's probably the most flavorful ingredient in the whole thing.

Did you add salt? Broth/stock is always surprisingly flavorless if there's no salt.

Edit: Also, how many bones are we talkin?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Casu Marzu posted:

Did you add salt? Broth/stock is always surprisingly flavorless if there's no salt.

Edit: Also, how many bones are we talkin?
Nope. Just about every guide warned me against adding salt to stock, as it was going to get salty in the process of cooking anyway (and the pork belly was salted to hell and back during my curing attempt).

Fairly few. The product of two pork belly... cuts?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
You shouldn't add salt to stock while you are making it, because it's going to reduce a ton and it's too hard to judge how salty it's going to be when it's way more concentrated (and so that you can concentrate it even further for sauces without the saltiness getting off the charts)

When you're actually using it you should absolutely salt it though.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I accidentally bought a shitload of coriander, anything I can do with a lot of it besides just putting it in every meal?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Paperhouse posted:

I accidentally bought a shitload of coriander, anything I can do with a lot of it besides just putting it in every meal?

Pesto!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Paperhouse posted:

Do you have a carbonator? You can make coriander soda

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Paperhouse posted:

Leaf or seed?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I don't have a carbonator but I really want to make coriander soda now :(

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Leaf or seed?

Coriander generally means the seed outside of the UK.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

So I guess you're saying that question should have been "what is your current longitude and latitude"?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

poeticoddity posted:

When it dissolves, MSG dissociates into a sodium ion and a glutamate ion.
Glutamate is actually a neurotransmitter that you produce, and the notion that it causes headaches is actually tied to some really racist newspaper articles decades ago instead of any empirical research.
If the glutamate in MSG could get through your blood brain barrier and interact directly with your brain, it'd probably kill you.
The issues people attribute to MSG are either the nocebo effect, issues with sodium, or issues with the food that contains MSG.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to propagate any food myths. My doctor circa 1989 recommended avoiding MSG, caffeine, and garlic, citing that they were potential triggers for migraines (caffeine DEFINITELY is for me, going by 30+ years of repeatable and consistent experiences).

Regardless, I ordered a shaker of MSG and a big bottle of Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce -- 32 ounces was about the same price as 8 ounces, so I'll be using this for a while!

I do wonder though if there's something special they only tend to use at hibachi places. The fried rice there always tastes pretty different from what you get at non-hibachi Japanese restaurants, let alone Chinese ones. And it's not one specific restautant -- I have three good hibachi places around me, and all of them have very similar-tasting fried rice, which is quite distinct from the fried rice anywhere else around here.

Maybe they just don't clean the hibachis very well. :)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The leaves are also commonly called coriander (or some spelling variant thereof) throughout large swathes of Europe.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Not really, only in the US where you have 'cilantro' to denominate the fresh leaves. Most of the rest of the world specifies coriander seeds or fresh coriander, and in the countries I've spent any amount of time in 'coriander' or the equivalent translation just refers to the fresh leaves as that's the most commonly used part of the plant. I guess in India or other countries where the seed is more commonly used it would refer to the seeds over the leaves.

Anyway Paperhouse is a brit so he means the leaves.

And to offer suggestions, if you want to have a delicious few days of eating just plan a bunch of mexican or thai meals. Whenever I buy a huge bunch I'll use it to make a couple of thai curries and also throw some in guacamole and salsa and have wraps or make tortillas to dip or whatever.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 3, 2021

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Scientastic posted:

The leaves are also commonly called coriander (or some spelling variant thereof) throughout large swathes of Europe.

In the UK I’d specify fresh, ground, or seeds.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Not post brexit. That was not renegotiated

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

Use it to make something along the lines of chimichurri with some other herbs mixed in, imo.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to propagate any food myths. My doctor circa 1989 recommended avoiding MSG, caffeine, and garlic, citing that they were potential triggers for migraines (caffeine DEFINITELY is for me, going by 30+ years of repeatable and consistent experiences).

Regardless, I ordered a shaker of MSG and a big bottle of Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce -- 32 ounces was about the same price as 8 ounces, so I'll be using this for a while!

I do wonder though if there's something special they only tend to use at hibachi places. The fried rice there always tastes pretty different from what you get at non-hibachi Japanese restaurants, let alone Chinese ones. And it's not one specific restautant -- I have three good hibachi places around me, and all of them have very similar-tasting fried rice, which is quite distinct from the fried rice anywhere else around here.

Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor and interacts with adenosine receptors. For some people it helps with headaches (if they're caused/exacerbated by vasodilation), for some people it causes headaches, and for a lot of people withdrawal causes headaches.

If MSG causes issues, it's a sodium issue.

I hadn't heard about garlic, so if you've got any info on that, I'd be curious to know more.

It's entirely possible that the secret flavor at those restaurants is just a different oil, oil that's been heated more or less, or a technique thing. You could always ask them.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Does this mean caffeine is an antidote to viagra?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

WhiteHowler posted:

They also cook their eggs very hot and "well done", very differently than any other scrambled egg style. I hate that flavor on its own but it seems to belong in stir fry!

feedmegin posted:

Use it to make something along the lines of chimichurri with some other herbs mixed in, imo.

This is my answer too! We just made this and it was simple and excellent. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cilantro-chutney or buy the Indian-ish book it's from.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Umm no. In Europe coriander is the leaf, what Americans call cilantro. The seeds are called coriander seeds. Because that makes sense.

Steve Yun posted:

Please explain. I have a soda stream and coriander/cilantro is the best thing in the world. I would put it on everything.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 3, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Stalizard posted:

I've been drinking a shitload of coconut water lately and I've tried just about every brand available to me at the grocery store and a few more from Asian and Latin markets. I find that a lot of the brands add citric acid to preserve the color, but often as not I can taste it and I don't like how it makes the coconut water too tart.

There are two brands I can find pretty reliably that just list "coconut water" on the ingredients label and nothing else, Zico and C2O. They taste the best to me, although the packaging does make a difference. The ones in the cans always taste a little bit metallic, go for the cardboard carton if you can find it.

Awesome thanks. I tried Harmless but it was too sugary. I bought two cans of C2O as well, one with and one without pulp. They should be slapped with false advertisement or something cause the one with pulp is like, 3 pieces at best. I think I’ve seen Zico before so I’ll give that a try.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

poeticoddity posted:

I hadn't heard about garlic, so if you've got any info on that, I'd be curious to know more.
It's based 90% on what my doctor told me 30+ years ago, and 10% on anecdotal evidence from a couple of friends who consistently identify garlic as a specific trigger for their migraines. There is almost definitely some confirmation bias, though they swear by it.

I don't have any science on this. Honestly, after decades of coping with severe, complex migraines (I get the fun ones with visual aura, numbness, and sometimes even cognitive difficulties), visiting countless GP's, vascular specialists, and neurologists, and trying virtually every prescription medication available to little effect, I've stopped overthinking it and just try to get by.

quote:

It's entirely possible that the secret flavor at those restaurants is just a different oil, oil that's been heated more or less, or a technique thing. You could always ask them.
That's true. After trying a lot of different oils and fats, I've settled on butter as my frying medium for rice, with a bit of sesame oil for flavor and a bit more "sizzle". I'd ask the local places, but I haven't left the house for the last eleven-ish months, and it feels weird to ring up a restaurant and say "yo, tell me how to fry rice".

BrianBoitano posted:

They also cook their eggs very hot and "well done", very differently than any other scrambled egg style. I hate that flavor on its own but it seems to belong in stir fry!
Oh, I didn't think of this! I usually scramble and cook my eggs separately before frying the rice, then add them back right near the end. I normally like nice, soft, fluffy eggs -- but that may not be the best texture and flavor for a rice dish.

Next time I'll try cooking the eggs in the same pan and just leaving them through the entire process, making sure the egg gets moved around enough that it doesn't turn into complete rubber.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is there any way to elevate a Yorkshire pudding batter?
I’m obsessed with toad in the hole as it’s winter and I’m just wondering if I could try something a bit funky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Not really, only in the US where you have 'cilantro' to denominate the fresh leaves.

Also, you know, Mexico.