Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Any recommendations for a studded tire for a gravel/cross bike? I have a Giant TCX and wish to continue to ride the local trails during the Chicago winter (Des Plaines River Trail for anyone local). I'm also a fat rider at ~285lbs so something on the wider end with as much grip as possible is preferable since in my prior testing it doesn't take much to send me flying in icy conditions. Am I going to be able to actually ride with this setup or should I just bite the bullet and look for a fatbike or 29er?

edit- contemplating a Giant Revolt Advanced 3 as an upgrade and being able to run up to 700x45c tires.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

charliebravo77 posted:

Any recommendations for a studded tire for a gravel/cross bike? I have a Giant TCX and wish to continue to ride the local trails during the Chicago winter (Des Plaines River Trail for anyone local). I'm also a fat rider at ~285lbs so something on the wider end with as much grip as possible is preferable since in my prior testing it doesn't take much to send me flying in icy conditions. Am I going to be able to actually ride with this setup or should I just bite the bullet and look for a fatbike or 29er?

edit- contemplating a Giant Revolt Advanced 3 as an upgrade and being able to run up to 700x45c tires.

What year is your TCX? I’ve got an old one (2011) that I run 42mm soma cazaderos on just fine. It also runs the 45mm WTB riddlers that are on my wife’s bike

tylertfb fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 15, 2021

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

tylertfb posted:

What year is your TCX? I’ve got an old one (2011) that I run 42mm soma cazaderos on just fine. It also runs the 45mm WTB riddlers that are on my wife’s bike

It's a 2015. Guess I can buy some 42s of some variety and see how it goes.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
More outdoor riding in the cold and snow in montana

Taking that road was a real dumb idea, it was slippery. But it's short and cuts across to a frontage road. But then the path along the frontage road had snow on it and the other dirt road was muddy so the whole ride was basically bad decisions.

Decent road and gravel riding out that way though. also, check out these turkeys

Today the sunshine lured me outside but it was really cold. It looks so nice out here but the garmin said 22

The snow was grippy and fun to ride though, and hand warmers shoved between the liners and shells of ski gloves kept my hands comfortable enough. Saw these llamas, or alpacas or something

they were lookin at me. River was in the process of freezing, made a neat sound

Surprising amount of riding this winter, I haven't really taken a break to go ski and run and sit on my rear end which is weird. I have 325 outdoor miles so far this year plus another 365 on zwift, and somehow I had 1000mi in december.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 27, 2021

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Did a 4-day gravel ride around central Otago, south island of New Zealand, over the Christmas-New Year break. Flew down with our bikes on the plane, assembled them in the airport and then chained together the Otago rail trail, Clutha gold trail and Roxborough trail for a total of about 350 km. Weather was fantastic the whole time, sunny without being overly hot (mostly) and very little wind.

Rode my relatively old Boardman CX bike which I've modified to have a MTB rear derailleur and 11-36 cassette. The smallest gear combo I have of 34 front 36 rear was adequate but I was out of the saddle for some of the steeper climbs (some sustained ~12% gradients).

The Otago rail trail is super flat and easy riding, kinda boring for the first day at least where we did 90 km almost entirely up-hill at a constant 1 to 2% gradient. The Roxborough trail was a lot more technically challenging and thus more fun, but the trail has a big gap in the middle where you have to book a jet boat to take you and your bikes from one point to the other, which was interesting but a bit expensive. The Clutha gold trail was a really nice flowy ride for the first half but the second half was a little repetitive. The final day we left the cycle trails and took forestry roads back to the airport we started from which was a much more 'proper' bikepacking day, with some pretty serious elevation change. It would have been a nightmare to ride in bad weather but we were lucky so overall just a good fun day's ride.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

:swoon:

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The RAGBRAI Route Announcement is going on right now, and Day 3 will have not a gravel loop, but an entire gravel route option for the day, from Ft. Dodge to Iowa Falls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_2zxIcMTTU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Ragbrai's... happening?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Blackhawk posted:

Did a 4-day gravel ride around central Otago, south island of New Zealand, over the Christmas-New Year break.

This looks incredible!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Bud Manstrong posted:

This looks incredible!

Cheers, I assume that strava will let me share activities via link?

Day 1:
https://www.strava.com/activities/4547026365

Day 2:
https://www.strava.com/activities/4547026373

Day 3:
https://www.strava.com/activities/4547026396

Day 4:
https://www.strava.com/activities/4547026359

As you can see it was a pretty cruisy trip.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

kimbo305 posted:

Ragbrai's... happening?
Suffice to say that Iowa has not exactly been leading the way with covid policies.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I imagine a lot of those small towns on the route want the revenue but yeah, a massive group rocking up into multiple small towns several times a day is about the worst idea.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Crumps Brother posted:

Suffice to say that Iowa has not exactly been leading the way with covid policies.

Yeah ... there's a reason the Governor is commonly referred to as "COVID Kim".

I strongly doubt I'll have had access to a vaccine and have had time for it to fully take effect to even consider going, but it is nice to see that they expanded the gravel portion, and most importantly, made it a different way to do the route (for a day), rather than simply a loop to add on miles on top of the paved route.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Ragbrai's... happening?
It's not Ragbrai without at least a few deaths.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Iowa's Ride is too, the week before going the other direction.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Oh hey thread, didn't notice a gravel one until now. I found the gravel spirit last year and slapped some resolutes on my Giant TCX. Here are a few photos of some rides I did last summer/autumn. Can't wait for the weather to get a little better so I can finally get off Zwift!

My longest gravel ride so far:

Bonus slow worm picture. Yeah we've got reptiles in the UK so what.

I want to get out this summer and do some gravel in the Brecon Beacons, and possibly some bikepacking too. I'm tempted to pick up a Sonder Camino AL frame and do my first ever bike build too. Should be fun.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

There was some weird white poo poo on my gravel today.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

An active volcano seems like a good place to ride

Extra smoky today!

Normally it looks more like

I've been trying to ride up there twice per week, its around 30km from where I live with 1500m climbing. So far I've ridden up there from 3 different access points, and I know there area at least 2 others.

Also, smoke coming out is a good thing, you worry when there is nothing coming out (no smoke = crater is covered and pressure can build up). Villarrica volcano, one of the most active on the planet. There are like 3-4 other active volcanoes that you can see on a good day from Villarrica. Also, I've trekked up to the crater once, smells like Mordor.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

El Laucha posted:

An active volcano seems like a good place to ride

Extra smoky today!

I've been trying to ride up there twice per week, its around 30km from where I live with 1500m climbing. So far I've ridden up there from 3 different access points, and I know there area at least 2 others.

Also, smoke coming out is a good thing, you worry when there is nothing coming out (no smoke = crater is covered and pressure can build up). Villarrica volcano, one of the most active on the planet. There are like 3-4 other active volcanoes that you can see on a good day from Villarrica. Also, I've trekked up to the crater once, smells like Mordor.

Cool! You ever hiked to the top?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ooof that's gorgeous

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Holy poo poo good posts. Love this thread.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
I feel the Spirit with us tonight. Great rides and photos.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
Gonna try to do a big gravel ride tomorrow and ride down Repack Road, the "birthplace of mountain biking"'s first downhill race course.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Blackhawk posted:

Cool! You ever hiked to the top?

Yeah, like 5-6 years ago during winter. It’s a 6 hour hike from the skiing center, with around 1200m of vertical ascensión. Then maybe 30 mins to go down, fun as hell. You go up to the edge of the crater and you can see down inside the caldera. The smell of sulfur made your eyes water, many got nauseous. So, so easy to fall inside.

Some people flew over the crater that same year:

There’s a video of that at https://www.redbull.com/cl-es/viaje-al-centro-del-volc%C3%A1n-villarrica

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 4, 2021

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

El Laucha posted:

Yeah, like 5-6 years ago during winter. It’s a 6 hour hike from the skiing center, with around 1200m of vertical ascensión. Then maybe 30 mins to go down, fun as hell. You go up to the edge of the crater and you can see down inside the caldera. The smell of sulfur made your eyes water, many got nauseous. So, so easy to fall inside.

Some people flew over the crater that same year:

There’s a video of that at https://www.redbull.com/cl-es/viaje-al-centro-del-volc%C3%A1n-villarrica

Awesome, wow that's a shitload more active than the closes volcano here that I've gone up a few times (Mt Ruapehu), it has a warm acidic lake in the crater but not actual visible lava.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I am still being hunted by the spirit of Gravel, i found this:
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/d/portland-2017-kona-private-jake-obo/7272850346.html

The good:
- The colors rule

The bad:
- The wife will relentlessly make fun of my because everything i own is red/black lmao

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I really wanted one of those when they came out. It also has sliding dropouts if for some reason you wanted to make it SS. And good tire clearance, fairly slack HTA.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

My first proper bike was a Kona Jake and I miss it so I support your n+1

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

ElMaligno posted:

I am still being hunted by the spirit of Gravel, i found this:
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/d/portland-2017-kona-private-jake-obo/7272850346.html

The good:
- The colors rule

The bad:
- The wife will relentlessly make fun of my because everything i own is red/black lmao

These are good bikes but $1400 for an aluminum frame with mechanical brakes seems a bit rich. Then again it's 2021 so who knows what bikes cost anymore...

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

VacaGrande posted:

These are good bikes but $1400 for an aluminum frame with mechanical brakes seems a bit rich. Then again it's 2021 so who knows what bikes cost anymore...

Its a 2017 $2000 bike, also it could go down a hundred or more.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
On today's gravel ride I had to slow for oncoming horses. At which point, the orbiting pack of dogs made me stop and distribute pets.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Your lack of orbiting dog pics is incredibly disappointing

Development
Jun 2, 2016

pics or it didn't happen :colbert:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
I took a day off over a week ago to do a big gravel ride, almost 70 miles and over 10k feet climbing.
Did a spin through the Marin Headlands and then headed up Mt Tam. Always have meant to stop and take a pic at this view

Then went up and over and through a nice bit of "trail" (fire road) called Laurel Dell but didn't stop to take pics. It did have a stream crossing though...usually you can just ride right through but some heavy rains weeks ago seem to have shifted the rocks and some debris piled up to make a pool that was too deep to ride through so I had to just go downstream 10 feet and pick my way across, no big deal though.

Across the 7 Sisters on the road and down to Alpine Dam, then up Old Vee which is a slog of a climb early on (16+ grade for parts of the start of the climb) until I got to Pine Mountain. I knew this rocky section was coming because I"ve done it on my mountain bike before, but if I hadn't stopped to take a pic I might have cleared it OK on the gravel bike too. Just real big chunky rocks with some of them loose

Right after that is Cascade Canyon fire road, or also known as Repack Road https://mmbhof.org/mtn-bike-hall-of-fame/history/repack-history/

Stopped for a break there

I'd consider it a pretty standard Marin fire road descent these days...some steep section but they mostly run out well, nothing technical, only one really rocky steep part. If you knew the corners and descent real well you could probably hit it real fast on a gravel bike. I think my downhill time included my coffee making as it was like 20+ minutes...

Once I hit Fairfax I turned around and went back up Deer Park, back over the side of Tam via Eldridge (SF in the background)

Then it was homefree down the mountain

Gravel around here is pretty drat tiring but the scenery is nice

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
The MMB link is cool - that route looks serious.
Nice orange accents on your bike!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

:krad:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
New Maxxis Receptor has a pretty Byway vibe about it:
https://bikepacking.com/news/maxxis-receptor-gravel-tire/

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Did some bicheal maintenance the other day

I'd like to replace this bike, but availability is pretty questionable right now and maybe I want a new hardtail xc bike first if I can get one of those. The new terra is pretty appealing as that gets a little nicer build than the equivalently priced super x. In the meantime though the old orbea was in need of some work, especially as the rear tire had given up on holding air after my last ride in January, and the shifting was, uh, bad.

-new bb bearings
-new cassette, 11-36 this time instead of 11-32
-new chain
-sealed shift cable like the frame was made for
-trued rear wheel
-serviced the freehub ratchets
-new tires
-brake pads

All done and sparkly clean

Kept the tanwall thing going on this, with 38 maxxis ramblers this time. The 40 nanos were sort of kind of sometimes rubbing the inside of the chainstays and these actually have a bit of room. I thought about trying G-ones or those new contis, but these were on the shelf. We had some terreno drys too, but they look as big or bigger than the nanos so I didn't want to risk it.

Those cables

Kind of strange assembly, as the liner doesn't start right at the shifter and instead you run a short piece of regular housing, then an adapter, then the liner goes in the bigger housing from there to the first stop. Although now that I think about it I probably could have just tried sticking the bigger housing into the shifter and ran it without the adapter if it fit.

Went on a ride today. Pretty short, and no gravel though because that's all a wet, snowy mess.

I forgot how the shifting is supposed to feel on this bike. Much better.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 24, 2021

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

jamal posted:

I forgot how the shifting is supposed to feel on this bike. Much better.

:nice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Does anyone have any recommendations for a 26" tire for mixed gravel/pavement? My commuter/gravel bike needs new summer tires pretty badly and I haven't heard anything (good or bad) about any 26er tires besides gravelking SKs. I probably spend more miles on pavement than gravel, but I'd like to change that this summer since I have a lot more route options riding dirt and gravel than pavement. Still, I think it might be nice to have something with smoother tread in the center than the SKs for riding in town.