Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

John Margolies Roadside America Photograph Archive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I had a teacher in HS that really wanted to suspend me for never standing for the pledge. Got called in to the VPs office a couple times, told them that they can't force me to do it and I would adore being able to raise a stink about it to local media.

Pretty sure I stopped standing in the second grade and the pervasive argument was "Just do it, it'll be easier." Like, FOR WHO?!

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Subpar Miniature Golf

That looks like it would have been fun as heck.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

AKZ posted:

That double loop on the Golden Gate looks like hell.

Not as bad as these things - https://youtu.be/0RfF-4KFTvs - but those seem mostly European. Stone Harbor, NJ used to have one.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Fallout 5 looking good

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Aardvark! posted:

Just found an incredible new content source:

This is awesome! I love crazy old places and gimmicky tourist traps. I wish I could just cruise around the world looking at silly poo poo without running out of money or getting murdered by locals.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

AKZ posted:

I forgot to mention that they had a slotcar track and I never got to play with it before they closed down!

Our world is a cruel, cruel place.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Somehow the most depressing thread on the forums

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

drat I miss going to restaurants like this.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Gutter Phoenix posted:

There was a great place on the main drag in my beloved hometown of Alameda, California called Subpar Miniature Golf, but like so many gems in the Bay Area, the stupid landlords forced them out, and now we have nothing like it.

Moral: gently caress Landlords

I love the disco ball. I imagine all the bowling alleys started up Galactic Bowling, and this place decided they were getting in on that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

drat I miss going to restaurants like this.

that second one and I strongly suspect first is lamberts cafe whose claim to fame is they throw their rolls at people.

the third has pretty much disappeared entirely in favor of chains. rural america gets super loving excited when a subway moves into town

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

the third has pretty much disappeared entirely in favor of chains. rural america gets super loving excited when a subway moves into town

I actually thought the third photo was a place I've eaten several times, except I'm pretty sure it isn't. So they still exist, sometimes with this exact decor.

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

that second one and I strongly suspect first is lamberts cafe whose claim to fame is they throw their rolls at people.

definitely Lamberts, home of the throwed rolls. Always hit it on our way back from Orange Beach so I can be extra stuffed for the 20 hour drive back to NYS. Despite the kitsch, the food is good. I wouldnt eat cut & fried Okra anywhere else

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Aardvark! posted:

Just found an incredible new content source:

God bless you

such powerful energy here

I could get lost in this archive for hours (and will)

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

Phthisis posted:

God bless you

Snuffle
Upagus

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

I cannot get enough of this photography archive. It's everything I ever wanted.

Come eat at the terrifying owl cafe!

Howabout eating at a giant hotdog in the middle of nowhere in Colorado

I legitimately appreciate committing to the dumb joke. If it was just a lovely sign it would suck, but they actually have a leaning tower!

the americanized version of the goose that laid golden eggs is a chicken that lays dr pepper eggs

yeah

Ok onto some theaters!

imagine the vibes of this Fargo drive-in

this perfectly captures a feeling ive had traveling throughout the flyover states over the years

this one is included because it still stands and I've seen movies there. There's a phenomenal burger/poutine place next door, too, and you can bring in food (and alcohol iirc?) from it into the theater.

And finally, check out this cool beach house

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Code Jockey posted:

what for? This seems like a 9/11 thing, is it a 9/11 thing

Already been answered but they specifically introduce it over the intercoms as "a moment to meditate pray or engage in other silent activities"

Teachers in my highschool would give you detention for insufficient respect during the pledge (ie not mouthing it)

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
America is a land of devils

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dreddout posted:

America is a land of devils

Yeah some people say it's the great satan but it's not that great IMHO.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
kind of an insult to satan too if you think about it

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah some people say it's the great satan but it's not that great IMHO.

The mediocre Satan.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Phthisis posted:

God bless you

I could get lost in this archive for hours (and will)

The carnies at the Houston Rodeo are always Australians. Always wondered what the deal is with that

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Is this mashed potatoes and gravy on top of chicken fried steak with a baked potato side, and with a potato salad side side?

:eyepop:

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Is this mashed potatoes and gravy on top of chicken fried steak with a baked potato side, and with a potato salad side side?

:eyepop:

I mean sure it's starchy but it's all balanced out by the sliver of orange and perhaps several leaves of parsley.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Possibly it’s chicken-fried potato under there, and the garnish is potato leaves and a slice of sweet potato

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 3, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Is there even a sliver of a chance 'Mark's Choice' includes anything aside from of white fried chicken, dark fried chicken, ham, green beans, applesauce, coleslaw, and biscuits?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Surprising no one, mark's choice is often chicken-fried burger ham. With a side of chaw for the kiddos.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!

Phthisis posted:

Ok onto some theaters!

imagine the vibes of this Fargo drive-in

this perfectly captures a feeling ive had traveling throughout the flyover states over the years

this one is included because it still stands and I've seen movies there. There's a phenomenal burger/poutine place next door, too, and you can bring in food (and alcohol iirc?) from it into the theater.

I love drive ins they are great.They would be perfect in this corona age if more had survived. the one near me still plays all the america cartoons before the movie starts.

https://youtu.be/26pQNKEOXjo

I live in Portland and we have a few independent theaters that are amazing. It is great being able to go to some of these cinemas and seeing old movies and new ones. Plus being able to drink beer and have food in most of them.

Tiger Crazy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 3, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Waterbed Wendy posted:

chicken-fried burger ham.

Well I know what all these words mean individually

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Tiger Crazy posted:

I love drive ins they are great.They would be perfect in this corona age if more had survived. the one near me still plays all the america cartoons before the movie starts.

I live in Portland and we have a few independent theaters that are amazing. It is great being able to go to some of these cinemas and seeing old movies and new ones. Plus being able to drink beer and have food in most of them.

There was a fairly notable drive-in in my hometown, though it unfortunately closed a few years back. I'm a little surprised drive-ins dropped so much in popularity. I mean, I suppose the video/audio quality can't compete with a proper theater, but honestly I think there are some upsides, too. I wonder how much can be attributed to a fairly low head count and not really being able to make as much money off concessions. That's probably a killer, based on my knowledge of the economics of movie theaters.

I also into independent theaters. The Maryland Film Festival now resides at the recently-restored Parkway Theatre here in Baltimore, and it's a great place that I love a lot. The inside has a cool vibe and they play a really nice combination of new arthouse movies along with some classics and rarer films. Unfortunately I have plans to move away in a few months, so I doubt I'll ever get to go again!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Love to eat next to the bleach.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I feel like an alien in america, always have, and I'm from here.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Dammit someone fried up the dog's turd again

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

goatface posted:

Love to eat next to the bleach.

look city boy I'm sorry it offends your delicate senses but what do y'all think we clean the place with

you just have the cleanest table and cleanest food in the place lol

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Lookit that big ole omelet, I miss diner food