Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

The latest scene story-wise in the trailer is up to Ymir's flashback. I can see them making a movie starting at Eren activating the rumbling. Would be a nice way to speed up the chapters post-rumbling where the shifters are stealing the airboat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

In It For The Tank posted:

Tfw the manga and anime have divergent endings, splintering the fandom over which is better until the end of time.

Good thing Fullmetal Alchemist sidestepped this and had a second series that didn't diverge (anime was better because mustang grew a pencil mustache)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I think the mid-season break will be the headshot, with a brief post-credits of the paths.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

There are some serious pacing issues with the rest of the series. First off, we have the titles for the next 4 episodes, and I've included the chapter they are associated with:
code:
ep 09 "Volunteers"       ch 106
ep 10 "A sound argument" ch 108
ep 11 "Counterfeit"      ch 110 
ep 12 "Guides"           ch 109
Notably, these appear to be only single chapter episode titles with the except of ep 9. Usually an episode spans about 2 chapters, give or take. Ep 8, I believe, is the only one this season that just covered a single chapter.
This gives 4 episodes to cover at LEAST up to 119, and likely up to 122 if the trailer is to be believed. The problem is that there's so much in the last couple episodes I don't see how they can shorten it all without cutting an entire storyline somewhere.
I feel like Zeke/Eren PATHS and Ymir's backstory need to be seperate episodes, it would feel really rushed to cram all the heavy-hitting ch120-122 flashbacks into one ep along with the climax of the series. They need to split it up into 2.
That leaves the episode before that, the 3rd to last one, ending with the headshot. Again I don't think they can fit all of the shiganshina battle into one episode going by current pacing. The battle covers around 3.5 chapters in the manga starting from 116 / Pieck's ambush.
I feel like there is a giant gap of like, around chapter ~111 to 115 that has to be crammed into one episode. Don't see how it fits considering its most of the Yeagerist plotline, Gabi/Kaya, Levi vs Zeke, Zeke's flashbacks.....
How does this all fit??

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

mightygerm posted:

There are some serious pacing issues with the rest of the series. First off, we have the titles for the next 4 episodes, and I've included the chapter they are associated with:
code:
ep 09 "Volunteers"       ch 106
ep 10 "A sound argument" ch 108
ep 11 "Counterfeit"      ch 110 
ep 12 "Guides"           ch 109
Notably, these appear to be only single chapter episode titles with the except of ep 9. Usually an episode spans about 2 chapters, give or take. Ep 8, I believe, is the only one this season that just covered a single chapter.
This gives 4 episodes to cover at LEAST up to 119, and likely up to 122 if the trailer is to be believed. The problem is that there's so much in the last couple episodes I don't see how they can shorten it all without cutting an entire storyline somewhere.
I feel like Zeke/Eren PATHS and Ymir's backstory need to be seperate episodes, it would feel really rushed to cram all the heavy-hitting ch120-122 flashbacks into one ep along with the climax of the series. They need to split it up into 2.
That leaves the episode before that, the 3rd to last one, ending with the headshot. Again I don't think they can fit all of the shiganshina battle into one episode going by current pacing. The battle covers around 3.5 chapters in the manga starting from 116 / Pieck's ambush.
I feel like there is a giant gap of like, around chapter ~111 to 115 that has to be crammed into one episode. Don't see how it fits considering its most of the Yeagerist plotline, Gabi/Kaya, Levi vs Zeke, Zeke's flashbacks.....
How does this all fit??

Oh, is that what they're doing with the next few episodes? Looks like they're slowing down, having a couple single-chapter episodes plus reshuffling to have the Falco & Gabi plot be contiguous before tying back in at the restaurant.

In that case I revise my assessment: they're going to end with either the chapter 114 cliffhanger after Zeke's backstory or right before the Shiganshina battle commences in 116.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 2, 2021

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
Trailer showed a flash of the parasite latching onto Ymir, so we'll at least get that far.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

kerwyn posted:

Trailer showed a flash of the parasite latching onto Ymir, so we'll at least get that far.

Not this cour.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Not this cour.

Wouldnt be the first time the anime changed things around.

The headshot would be a very good place to end part 1, with the post credits being the weird loving centipede poo poo bursting out his spine.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

I think the mid-season break will be the headshot, with a brief post-credits of the paths.
I'd rather the season ending be the headshot, then a smash cut to a large "To Be Continued" image. No stuff about the paths or future events, no teasers or anything else.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

AradoBalanga posted:

I'd rather the season ending be the headshot, then a smash cut to a large "To Be Continued" image. No stuff about the paths or future events, no teasers or anything else.

I know AoT is infamous for its cliffhangers, but ending part 1 on the headshot would just be way too cruel.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

good way to sell manga tho

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if the last shot isn't of the walls crumbling as they commence the rumbling they are cowards

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Captain Invictus posted:

if the last shot isn't of the walls crumbling as they commence the rumbling they are cowards

Demonic Eren declaring the rumbling to all Eldians with extra creepy facial animation.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Tfw the manga and anime have divergent endings, splintering the fandom over which is better until the end of time.

tfw congratulations eren!!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lamebot posted:

Demonic Eren declaring the rumbling to all Eldians with extra creepy facial animation.

Yeah it's strange to me that anyone would want the last scene of part 1 to be anything but this. It's a fantastically loving horrifying thing to leave people with while part 2 is worked on.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah it's strange to me that anyone would want the last scene of part 1 to be anything but this. It's a fantastically loving horrifying thing to leave people with while part 2 is worked on.

It'd be great but I would rather they didn't skip the paths dimension just to have that be the mid-season cliffhanger, and now that they've dedicated an episode to a single chapter, there's no way to fit everything from here to that point without compromising either the pacing or narrative.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I am informed that in Malesia, the Colossal Titan has drip

https://twitter.com/TotallyNotMark/status/1357034232414093314

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, they dont have to do the Ymir backstory episode, but it should end with Eren getting his head shot off, zeke grabing it and then IMMEDIATELY the walls crumbling and the rumbling starting. They could then start off the next season with the paths episodes and the ymir backstory

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I've always found it odd that the Hulk keep his pants on when he transforms.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

MorningMoon posted:

I am informed that in Malesia, the Colossal Titan has drip

https://twitter.com/TotallyNotMark/status/1357034232414093314

My mind instantly thought that the Female Titan would have a sports bra and gym shorts, but the actual answer is more magnificent than I could have ever dreamed

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Eren, probably? posted:

You are free, to wear Spanx.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Does Reiner wear tights over his armour or is his armour tights?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
this thread is posing a lot of questions that need answers

also everyone has their own favorite detail about AoT and mine personally has to be the wood gathering chores Eren and Mikasa are always doing as kids. Why did they need so much firewood?
It suggested that they were getting more than just what they needed to cook their meals; maybe as the resident doctor Grisha needed the wood to start fires to make medicine?
Just a tiny inconsequential detail that's so cool

And now that I think about it; if the Yeagers had a basement that remained untouched throughout the attacks, why didn't people just live in basements to protect themselves from Titans

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 4, 2021

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Rewatching the anime from the start got me wondering.

We know the pure Titans have the compulsion to eat humans and essentially do nothing else. Presumably at some point the titan power that Ymir passed down became diluted enough that not everyone inherited the shifting power, but what caused Eldians to start transforming into pure Titans, and why do they have the single compulsion to eat humans?

I was thinking it might be some innate instinct to continue consuming each other to continue inheriting powers, based on the command Fritz gave to Rose, Maria and Sheena after Ymir died.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

MechaX posted:

My mind instantly thought that the Female Titan would have a sports bra and gym shorts, but the actual answer is more magnificent than I could have ever dreamed

Ban the tube top tonight

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JahRoo posted:

We know the pure Titans have the compulsion to eat humans and essentially do nothing else. Presumably at some point the titan power that Ymir passed down became diluted enough that not everyone inherited the shifting power, but what caused Eldians to start transforming into pure Titans, and why do they have the single compulsion to eat humans?

I was thinking it might be some innate instinct to continue consuming each other to continue inheriting powers, based on the command Fritz gave to Rose, Maria and Sheena after Ymir died.

That'd be my guess. Fritz's cannibalistic command echoing through time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

That'd be my guess. Fritz's cannibalistic command echoing through time.

One theory I've seen tossed around has to do with how shifters get their abilities. They eat a human, they become human. Thus, Titans seek out humans because, hey, maybe this is the one that'd free them from the endless nightmare that is their existence. Worked for Ymir, after all.

The only problem is that most of the time, it's the wrong human.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Sjs00 posted:

It suggested that they were getting more than just what they needed to cook their meals; maybe as the resident doctor Grisha needed the wood to start fires to make medicine?
Just a tiny inconsequential detail that's so cool.
They may have boiling lots of water to sanitize instruments. It occurs to me that Grisha was treated as some kind of amazing doctor in Paradis, but it might just have been that he came from a society with better medical knowledge. He could benefit from 100 years of institutional learning that the blockaded Paradis never had access to.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

chiasaur11 posted:

One theory I've seen tossed around has to do with how shifters get their abilities. They eat a human, they become human. Thus, Titans seek out humans because, hey, maybe this is the one that'd free them from the endless nightmare that is their existence. Worked for Ymir, after all.

The only problem is that most of the time, it's the wrong human.

That bearded titan got so very close. If only he remembered how to chew

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Pure Titans are created "artificially" by Marley by injecting Eldians with Titan spinal fluid. The other method of creation is under command of a Titan with royal blood. All Eldians descend from Maria, Rose and Sheena so even if they did not directly inherit the powers of one of the Nine they're still directly connected to Ymir via the first act of cannibalism and so are both susceptible to being controlled by any royal blooded Titan to have their memory wiped, turn into Titans, become sterilized etc.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't get any impression that pure titans can be created from Royal descendants of Ymir through some spooky action at a distance, it seems that it's always been through titan spinal fluid injections. Like this is something the Eldian Kings worked out very quickly and imposed on the rest of their non-Royal subjects.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I wonder how exactly the day went when the first Titan King realized all he needed to do was inject people with the fluid from his spine, so simple

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Yeah I'm curious how an iron age(?) civilization figured that out and not instead like, Marley ~100 years ago. But since the whole world is terrified of the Eldian potential to turn into Titans, clearly it's been going on for some time

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I was under the impression that in the days of Eldian Empire, the Founder could just transform Eldians into pure titans at will, and that the syringe-based transformations were a more recent development made necessary by the self-imposed exile of the Founder to Paradis.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I was under the impression that in the days of Eldian Empire, the Founder could just transform Eldians into pure titans at will, and that the syringe-based transformations were a more recent development made necessary by the self-imposed exile of the Founder to Paradis.

Same. That makes a lot more sense

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Ahhh, yeah, of course. I forget 'cause we've never really seen the Founder in action before Paradis so much beyond just, legends and such.

Also, y'know. The Rumbling.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Historia's father also transforms after licking the fluid off the ground, so it's not necessary to be injected. It's just easier to use a syringe since the fluid evaporates very fast. The way Marley does it is also deliberately dehumanizing.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Kassad posted:

Historia's father also transforms after licking the fluid off the ground, so it's not necessary to be injected. It's just easier to use a syringe since the fluid evaporates very fast. The way Marley does it is also deliberately dehumanizing.

Don't forget the poisoned wine, too

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sjs00 posted:

I wonder how exactly the day went when the first Titan King realized all he needed to do was inject people with the fluid from his spine, so simple

Ymir's power split into Rose/Maria/Sheena through cannibalism, then split further into the Nine, and then presumably further attempts produced the first Pure Titans.

Having this as a basis, it's not too difficult to imagine how they figured out the basic rules over the years: one-to-one transfer of the Nine worked, but one-to-many only granted the power to one person while the rest turned into Pure Titans (and it had no effect at all on people not descendant from Ymir).

Then at some point one of the Nine, either dying or the sacrificial sort, decided to offer themselves to one of the accidental Pure Titans (who this early on would likely be a sibling or some other close relative), and bam they discover that feeding one of the Nine to a Pure Titan passes on the power and restores their humanity.

And since they already knew that transferring the power had to do with eating the spine as early as the OG succession times, they were able to put together that consuming from the spine of the Nine while someone held onto the power would result in a Pure Titan. Then over time and as the number of subjects of Ymir increased someone in power likely decided to experiment - that, or perhaps it was even done very early on simply to ease the trauma of having to consume one's relative to transfer the power by converting the intended recipient into a Pure Titan first.

Add a couple thousand years and the knowledge has been refined to an understanding that it's the spinal fluid which turns subjects of Ymirs into titans, which can be harvested and stored if paid due care to no expose it to air, and accidental deaths or botched successions over the centuries also made evident the additional rule that there is always Nine, and that a random newborn will inherit the power if nobody successfully claimed it from the dying holder.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I still don't fully understand 100%; and thats why SNK deserves anime of the decade imo
. For instance, why did Grishas people who were injected and then kicked off the wall by the Owl and Marleyans turn into titans momentarily, whereas the prisoners who were injected and then dropped only reacted to Zekes scream? And finally the men who drank the poison wine turned when Zeke screamed, and Historias father turned into that massive behemoth with no injection, and no scream.
So the process of transformation seems to rely on both the serum, the scream command, and apparently the serum is a recent method?
Its nitpicking but its because I enjoy the setting that much