Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

half the time i dont bother turning on the lights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

this was definitely Tritium.

holy poo poo yeah that'd make sense, they were out of cinci so it would have been in our region

i juggled that, juno, and netzero at some point trying to find the best pings for games and had a pretty solid tribes 1 experience

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The Americans used a clapper, but I suppose a person who wants to use Google for turning the lights on or off has no use of their hands.

as assistive tech alexa et al are helpful but ive heard some disabled users start to back off because its too easy to become reliant on them. that's not considering the other problems, like loss of functionality with network issues and reliance on a company to operate simple items. assistive tools are expensive enough already without having to replace everything when google decides homes are boring

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the asus touchscreen trackpad in the linux thread reminded me of windows sideshow:

this would be on the back of the laptop lid and would save you all of 10 seconds to open the lid and just check normally lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

carry on then posted:

the asus touchscreen trackpad in the linux thread reminded me of windows sideshow:

this would be on the back of the laptop lid and would save you all of 10 seconds to open the lid and just check normally lol

the photocopier/printer user experience—on the lid of your laptop!

what could be better?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

remember when you had a screen on the lid of your clamshell phone, and it could show the time which I guess was usefull, but it would go dark after like ten seconds of closing the phone so it was actually completely useless for that?

(it did show the caller when the phone rang so you knew not to answer anyone but who the gently caress answered calls anyway?)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the flip case for my palm m130 had a little window to show the time on the display and that was really cool and useful

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yeah, the use case for these is generally "at a glance" stuff, where you don't have to actually pick up and use the equipment to get the info.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my winphone had glance mode where it would just show u white on black date/time/next appointment/other configured stuff without going to the lock screen

it was oled so it was cheap and saved battery vs the lock screen which was the same thing but w/ background image. it was so nice and i wish ios would add it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

remember when you had a screen on the lid of your clamshell phone, and it could show the time which I guess was usefull, but it would go dark after like ten seconds of closing the phone so it was actually completely useless for that?

(it did show the caller when the phone rang so you knew not to answer anyone but who the gently caress answered calls anyway?)

nah that owned I had one of these

and it was actually useful having that little screen on the back. Good phone too, it was made of some indestructible plastic and had a rad game called "snowball fight" that I used to play in statistics lectures, causing me to nearly fail engineering statistics.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

and it was actually useful having that little screen on the back. Good phone too, it was made of some indestructible plastic and had a rad game called "snowball fight" that I used to play in statistics lectures, causing me to nearly fail engineering statistics.

nearly failing a class for the sake of a tiny mobile game meant to kill time?

a true gamer. we salute you o7

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
that CEO blaming alternate realities and the Mandela Effect for software bugs and data entry mistakes

quote:

“I want to stress that this is not our software making these changes,” Anatra says. “Changes in data is a phenomena that software technology companies like NECS have been noting, most especially as it affects our bottom line and requires more technical support resources.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUPxDLMCUKM

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/tech-company-mandela-effect/

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

nearly failing a class for the sake of a tiny mobile game meant to kill time?

a true gamer. we salute you o7

while you were studying statistics, I was studying the... Well the point is I wasn't studying statistics ok

It was first year so I was drunk all the time anyway. I mean I did the same thing in the second year too, but after that I got my poo poo together.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I played so much tetris on my ti-83+ during econ that I really shouldn't have passed

good thing econ isnt real anyway

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

that CEO blaming alternate realities and the Mandela Effect for software bugs and data entry mistakes

this has to be trolling

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

mystes posted:

Are you just talking about raw speech recognition or commands? If the former I agree that modern speech recognition has gotten much better than older software, but you still have to learn to adapt what you say if want to actually use siri/alexa/google assistant to do stuff sort of like learning a cli but with no documentation, which kind of sucks.

this is more of a limitation of Voice UIs as opposed to the actual speech recognition tho. Like, the tools I've used to create chat/voice bots need you to create an intent which is basically just a query with a variable, eg:

I need to book a hotel
> Ok, where do you want to stay?
Motel 6, Frostproof, Florida
> Ok, what date?
4/20, 2069
> Ok, booked!

but if you try

I need to book a hotel
Near the airport in New York
> Sorry, I don't understand
JFK Airport, New York
> I don't know about a hotel called 'JFK Airport'
gently caress u
> I don't know how to 'gently caress u'

etc

So the tools can transcribe speech well. But there's still quite a bit of work to do an NLP to make it more effective in an interactive session

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

this guy looks like he is gonna cry/throw up the whole time

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Gentle Autist posted:

this is more of a limitation of Voice UIs as opposed to the actual speech recognition tho. Like, the tools I've used to create chat/voice bots need you to create an intent which is basically just a query with a variable, eg:

I need to book a hotel
Motel 6, Frostproof, Florida
> Ok, what date?
4/20, 2069
> Ok, booked!

but if you try

I need to book a hotel
Near the airport in New York
> Sorry, I don't understand
JFK Airport, New York
> I don't know about a hotel called 'JFK Airport'
gently caress u
> I don't know how to 'gently caress u'

etc

So the tools can transcribe speech well. But there's still quite a bit of work to do an NLP to make it more effective in an interactive session

fuckin text adventure games rear end interface

love trying to guess what VERB NOUN syntax is required to turn off the lights as a houseguest

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i had that samsung phone until cingular made me "upgrade" to this one

note that the "screen" is actually just a tiny mirror and the non-reflective spot on it was an led that blinked when you got a call

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol. it’s like one of those pretend toy phones for toddlers.

if the shiny sticker falls off is there some super disturbing picture behind it?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

lol is that the guy from how to with John Wilson?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

President Beep posted:

lol. it’s like one of those pretend toy phones for toddlers.

if the shiny sticker falls off is there some super disturbing picture behind it?

nah there’s a disturbing image on the mirror before it falls off

mystes
May 31, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

Open your flipphone

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

you can't turn off ye light

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

PCjr sidecar posted:

:tizzy:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

https://www.cia.gov/library/abbottabad-compound/61/61C5FB27A2ECCBE2B3269A5589A7F518_serial.txt.doc.pdf

mystes
May 31, 2006

Well it's not like they're the nsa, what do you think they're going to do, crack it themselves?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
.txt.doc.pdf

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the flip case for my palm m130 had a little window to show the time on the display and that was really cool and useful

The Soviets used an LED watch

https://www.safonagastrocrono.club/the-digital-revolution-in-the-soviet-union-part-2/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

this guy looks like he is gonna cry/throw up the whole time

I wasnt going to watch this but then you said this and I was sold

he totally does randomly pause as if the vom is rising up his throat, but then carries on as if it's gone back down

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

well, its not a steam key

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

echinopsis posted:

I wasnt going to watch this but then you said this and I was sold

he totally does randomly pause as if the vom is rising up his throat, but then carries on as if it's gone back down

srs check out how to w John Wilson

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Shaggar posted:

this has to be trolling

if he is then he's playing the long game

he's rebranded himself as the quantum businessman and he speaks at new age festivals

mystes
May 31, 2006

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

if he is then he's playing the long game

he's rebranded himself as the quantum businessman and he speaks at new age festivals

Quantum Boss Baby

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i guess i’m the kaiser.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

you’re majesty

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm the cake that is self titled "conspiracy cake"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m the conspiracy cake

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ogg theora

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

haha lmao

Adbot