Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

She did an absolutely perfect job as FemShep. Her and Laura Bailey as the female boss in Saints Row are my favorite badass women I've ever heard in any game.

Played through the ME Trilogy probably 3-4 times total and my personal favorite builds are full biotic for the first game pulling and throwing everyone like rag dolls and the ABC death machine in the other 2 games. Looking forward to doing another play-through, this time with infinitely more lens-flare apparently!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ME2 is my fave game of all time and gently caress yeah I'm gonna replay this for the billionth time with all new lens flares and faster elevators

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Have they mentioned if they're going to revamp the combat in ME1 to bring it more in line with 2 and 3? Also the inventory system so I don't have to lug around a bunch of lovely weapons?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I will buy this game and I might actually finish ME3 this time.

Gonna play it with my kid and let him make all the important choices.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tithin posted:

I will buy this game and I might actually finish ME3 this time.

Gonna play it with my kid and let him make all the important choices.

Why would you set your kid up for disappointment like this

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Taintrunner posted:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ErrEff posted:

They were actually making this and then cancelled it. No joke, because Bioware is beyond parody at this point.

They made a LOTR: Battlefield. You can play as the Orcs and genocide the Hobbits.

That is not an exaggeration.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Never forget that Casey Hudson and some other hack locked themselves in a room to hash out the ending without any input from others.

How could you forget the genius of Mac Walters?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Taintrunner posted:

To teach him a lesson

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Black Sunshine posted:

She did an absolutely perfect job as FemShep. Her and Laura Bailey as the female boss in Saints Row are my favorite badass women I've ever heard in any game.

Played through the ME Trilogy probably 3-4 times total and my personal favorite builds are full biotic for the first game pulling and throwing everyone like rag dolls and the ABC death machine in the other 2 games. Looking forward to doing another play-through, this time with infinitely more lens-flare apparently!

Ya I think I finished all the games multiple times and on insanity difficulty, biotic is the most fun although I don't remember correctly but in the first game it felt weaker than the sequels. In the sequels you don't need your squad if you are biotic even on insanity difficulty you are basically a god you can get to the point where your cooldowns are so low. I enjoyed the sequels combat way more but imo ME1 on highest difficulty is probably the hardest. There is that Asari boss that drove me crazy, I think it's Liara's sister or was that in 2?

I definitely need to play femshep this time, I had my male shep who I played through the entire trilogy but I remember all my friends who were into ME swore by Jennifer Hale as the better Shepard.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 3, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mark Meer improved as Shepard as time went on, but Hale was always good. She had an icy intensity that was just perfect for Renegade runs. "How about goodbye?"

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Mark Meer improved as Shepard as time went on, but Hale was always good. She had an icy intensity that was just perfect for Renegade runs. "How about goodbye?"

I believe Mark Meer was given far more direction than Jennifer Hale at first - and was told to play Shep as a blank stoic badass (my description). Meanwhile Hale was more or less left on her own - the female option they didn't expect many people to use but was at least cheap advertising so why bother worrying what she does? So she was able to give her interpretation of Shep a personality and a smirk in her voice some of the time, raw intensity at other points. And as the series went on Meer was told more and more to model his performance on Hale's.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Meer always worked best for me with a character with a much older looking face than the default one.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

neonchameleon posted:

I believe Mark Meer was given far more direction than Jennifer Hale at first - and was told to play Shep as a blank stoic badass (my description). Meanwhile Hale was more or less left on her own - the female option they didn't expect many people to use but was at least cheap advertising so why bother worrying what she does? So she was able to give her interpretation of Shep a personality and a smirk in her voice some of the time, raw intensity at other points. And as the series went on Meer was told more and more to model his performance on Hale's.

This makes sense. By the time of ME2’s DLC, Meer’s Shepard seemed to be just as good as Hale’s and by ME3 I couldn’t tell you which one I liked more. They were both knocking it out of the park. In ME1, Meer sounded like he was the blank slate in my own brain asking questions. “What’s wrong with the L2 implants?” “What kind of complications?” “Is that a threat?” All spoken with the same verve as saying “Have you seen where we keep the scissors?”

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Syrinxx posted:

ME2 is my fave game of all time and gently caress yeah I'm gonna replay this for the billionth time with all new lens flares and faster elevators

Yup!!!

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
BioWare's entire take on protagonists is a mistake but it shouldn't really surprise anyone that Jennifer Hale, legendary and accomplished voice talent, brought more to the table than Mark Meer, local improv acting talent in Edmonton that knew a guy at BioWare.

though Die Nasty (his improv group) absolutely kicks rear end, i saw them way back in the aughts and it's crazy to me they're still going

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The first time I ever heard Hale’s voice was when she played a major role in Ground Control. When I played Kotor she was immediately recognizable to me and then has always been on my radar. I didn’t even know she wasn’t English until ME.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Utgardaloki posted:

BioWare's entire take on protagonists is a mistake but it shouldn't really surprise anyone that Jennifer Hale, legendary and accomplished voice talent, brought more to the table than Mark Meer, local improv acting talent in Edmonton that knew a guy at BioWare.

though Die Nasty (his improv group) absolutely kicks rear end, i saw them way back in the aughts and it's crazy to me they're still going

CDPR did this with Cyberpunk too.

Female V is an accomplished voice actress with a gigantic resume, and male V is some actor who has background roles in a couple of things and seemingly no voice acting experience at all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Meer is funnier, so the stuff like "I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store in the citadel" land better with him. Hale is better if you want to go more renegade though.

But yeah, in ME3 I think they're both as good as the other.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Meer reminds me a bit of the progression Doug Cockle made from Witcher 1->3. In the first games both VAs sounded almost confused most of the time but by the third game both actors disappear completely into the role and it’s just Shepard and Geralt. Like as if they were always a real person.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

neonchameleon posted:

I always remember Ali Hillis saying that she wasn't ever given an exact direction for Liara's character and more or less told them 'how about I play her as an introverted nerd?' and they were like 'sure, okay.'

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Have they said if Mass Effect 1 is just a visual and mako control update or are they re-dubbing characters, too?

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
I wouldn't be opposed to an Andromeda 2: Kett Harder, provided they fixed everything that was wrong with the first one. Which would be... a lot, but I feel ME:A is one of those games that has a good concept (restarting/rebuilding in a whole new galaxy) but that's been executed horribly and focuses on the wrong things (did we really need a new Big Bad? I'd rather have a game centered on getting communities up and running, and dealing with unique challenges on every planet you try to settle, or something like that).

I'm oddly tempted to buy the Legendary Edition despite already having played all three games multiple times (well, I've only played ME3 twice; ME1 and ME2 probably half a dozen times each). I really do love this universe a whole lot.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

chaosapiant posted:

The first time I ever heard Hale’s voice was when she played a major role in Ground Control. When I played Kotor she was immediately recognizable to me and then has always been on my radar. I didn’t even know she wasn’t English until ME.

Nah, Hale's English-accent voices are very obviously a non-English person doing an English accent to me at least. She (along with many, many others) sound like someone doing an impression of a posh English person, rather than an actual posh English person.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 3, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cyclical posted:

I wouldn't be opposed to an Andromeda 2: Kett Harder, provided they fixed everything that was wrong with the first one. Which would be... a lot, but I feel ME:A is one of those games that has a good concept (restarting/rebuilding in a whole new galaxy) but that's been executed horribly and focuses on the wrong things (did we really need a new Big Bad? I'd rather have a game centered on getting communities up and running, and dealing with unique challenges on every planet you try to settle, or something like that).

I'm oddly tempted to buy the Legendary Edition despite already having played all three games multiple times (well, I've only played ME3 twice; ME1 and ME2 probably half a dozen times each). I really do love this universe a whole lot.

andromada is never getting a sequel. it was something no one wanted and outside a cool concept and a few ok characters. it just kinda sucked on a ton of levels outside core combat and even that didnt save it.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

andromada is never getting a sequel. it was something no one wanted and outside a cool concept and a few ok characters. it just kinda sucked on a ton of levels outside core combat and even that didnt save it.

For me, Mass Effect : Andromeda as Terminator : Salvation. OK, not great; suffers from trying to fill in big shoes. Some interesting new ideas and an attempt at big changes, and yet they have the feeling of being lesser / spin-off / derivative side stories. The creative forces behind the originals are largely absent. And ultimately what was intended as a new trilogy is abandoned after it bombs.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

cyclical posted:

(did we really need a new Big Bad? I'd rather have a game centered on getting communities up and running, and dealing with unique challenges on every planet you try to settle, or something like that).

Bioware (and a lot of other video games writers to be fair) are completely incapable of writing a main plot that doesn't involve a Big Bad. Its one of the many reasons I'm hesitant to be hyped about a new Mass Effect game. It ought to be a story about rebuilding galactic society in the drat-near-post-apocalypse. Something more along the lines of Fallout: New Vegas where you have these different competing ideologies and belief systems fighting to create a world in their image. The races and their interactions were the most interesting parts of Mass Effect.

Instead, I just know that Bioware is going to have SPACE HITLER trying to STEAL/CREATE A POWERFUL SUPER WEAPON and only a PLUCKY HERO and their BAND OF FRIENDS can stop them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

After I fought a Reaper on on one* I don't want to shoot pirates and scavengers just trying to survive.

* with a little help from orbital bombardment

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Whorelord posted:

Nah, Hale's English-accent voices are very obviously a non-English person doing an English accent to me at least. She (along with many, many others) sound like someone doing an impression of a posh English person, rather than an actual posh English person.

Yea, I'm not English so I can't tell the difference unless the person affecting the accent is just super terrible about it. Plus, she had the exact same accent in two games when neither character was or needed to sound English so I assumed it was her natural voice.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

1stGear posted:

Bioware (and a lot of other video games writers to be fair) are completely incapable of writing a main plot that doesn't involve a Big Bad. Its one of the many reasons I'm hesitant to be hyped about a new Mass Effect game. It ought to be a story about rebuilding galactic society in the drat-near-post-apocalypse. Something more along the lines of Fallout: New Vegas where you have these different competing ideologies and belief systems fighting to create a world in their image. The races and their interactions were the most interesting parts of Mass Effect.

Instead, I just know that Bioware is going to have SPACE HITLER trying to STEAL/CREATE A POWERFUL SUPER WEAPON and only a PLUCKY HERO and their BAND OF FRIENDS can stop them.

Despite all its flaws, Dragon Age 2 does a very good job of this. You're main antagonist in that game is lovely situations and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Also the Arishok is awesome.

Edit: Sorry for double post!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
they'd need to completely re-write and restructure Andromeda to fix it

I had fun playing through Liam's loyalty quest - you get in this hosed up situation because Liam did a dumb thing and you end up having to fight through a ship where gravity keeps getting reversed. it wasn't groundbreaking or anything, but the characters bounced off of one another with the right mix of playfulness and irritation and the setting was memorable. I then realized that almost every mission in me 2 felt like that for me, whereas this was the first time I felt even a glimmer of it. then it was right back to the soulless grind

I really hated this other side quest where you have to track down a lady with an infectious disease. the game keeps you on a tight leash as you go back and forth and all over creation and it just keeps going. you have to navigate through a bunch of planet scans and try to skip through the atrociously long swoopy animations and watch the loading cutscenes and use the scanner when they tell you to and wait for people to turn fully around when you talk to them and get in yet another generic firefight with some dudes etc etc. I thought to myself that there is no way that a developer played this quest and thought "yes. This is an enjoyable experience. This game is satisfying to play"

also the goddamn sudoku

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Sudoku could be over-ridden with those key things you can buy at most vendors, including the one on your ship. I think I only did the actual puzzle a small handful of times and every other time just used my cool key.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I had fun playing through Liam's loyalty quest - you get in this hosed up situation because Liam did a dumb thing and you end up having to fight through a ship where gravity keeps getting reversed. it wasn't groundbreaking or anything, but the characters bounced off of one another with the right mix of playfulness and irritation and the setting was memorable. I then realized that almost every mission in me 2 felt like that for me, whereas this was the first time I felt even a glimmer of it. then it was right back to the soulless grind

I liked that mission but also it felt like the characters knew they weren't in any danger?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Just looked at the Steam page, this poo poo is going to need 120GB of space? For a remaster of a decade-old trilogy? :cripes:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
There were some whispers of them changing combat to be more like ME3 is that going to happen or is it just a graphical upgrade?

Charge/Nova was fun

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

Just looked at the Steam page, this poo poo is going to need 120GB of space? For a remaster of a decade-old trilogy? :cripes:

Its all the DLC too lets not forget

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Games: Mass Effect-Enemies Everywhere in HD!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Elotana posted:

There were some whispers of them changing combat to be more like ME3 is that going to happen or is it just a graphical upgrade?

Charge/Nova was fun

They didn't go that drastic with the combat changes, but they added:

improved aim assist
a button for melee
weapons rebalanced
removed of class-based weapon restrictions and aim penalties
improved squad AI
better Mako control

plus:

In-scope aim smoothing
Cover pass (Per Bioware: In ME1, the cover pass includes improvements to AI pathing, adding cover options for some encounters and fixing certain cover points that were previously broken in legacy. This also includes better behavior overall for squad and enemies to use cover appropriately.)
Rebalanced XP for level 60 cap in one playthrough
More consistent autosaves
Improved boss encounters
Improved cool down for first aid
Unified minigames across platforms

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I really do enjoy the combat in ME games and I have heard people say the core gameplay/combat of Andomeda is good. I definitely want to try it out. I got it on Steam a while back when EA started putting back their catalogue. Maybe I'll try it before the trilogy collection comes out. I had tried it on Origin's gamepass thingy a while back just to see the online it was fine but I just fell off it incredibly quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ulio posted:

I really do enjoy the combat in ME games and I have heard people say the core gameplay/combat of Andomeda is good. I definitely want to try it out. I got it on Steam a while back when EA started putting back their catalogue. Maybe I'll try it before the trilogy collection comes out. I had tried it on Origin's gamepass thingy a while back just to see the online it was fine but I just fell off it incredibly quickly.

I put 80 hours or so into Andromeda over the summer and it was....fine. It’s not a super memorable game but it’s got some fun combat and a good bit of interesting/fun/neat content. It’s also got a lot of filler, but you can ignore what you don’t like.