Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Tombot posted:

Dang, better snap it up before 2030. Also, don't forget to grab "Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator" on Steam, I don't know when the offer for that ends.
Feb 2 iirc, it doesn't show after you get it apparently.

/e: "The offer runs until February 1 at 10am PST (or February 2 at 5am in Australia)."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do you lose access to previously-claimed prime games when your sub expires?

No, you keep those. Which is nice, I've got a pretty decent collection of games on there from the last few years (which I will not play).

I'll possibly re-subscribe when something interesting pops up, but Prime Video is so dire and I don't order much from Uncle Jeff's website.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Escape Goat posted:

No, you keep those. Which is nice, I've got a pretty decent collection of games on there from the last few years (which I will not play).
There also seems to be less DRM after switching from the Twitch client to the Amazon Games one. I'm happily able to run the games I've downloaded without the client open.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

monster prom is great fun, one of the few games thats ever made me laugh out loud and the multiplayer mode adds a cool dynamic to it, makes it feel more like a cutthroat tabletop game

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

And another free game code for Big Fish Games: FREEGAME864089

Reddit thread w/ recommendations

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Stickman posted:

Thanks.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Stickman posted:

Here's a useful search - all of the Artifex Mundi games on Big Fish:

https://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/developers/1340/index.html

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Baby Proof posted:

Looks like a bad mobile game... are there any good games on this site?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Looks like a bad mobile game... are there any good games on this site?

It's specifically a site for casual games, so you won't find any AAA titles. That doesn't mean none of them are good, but they are all going to look like mobile games, because that's the aesthetic most primarily casual gamers are used to.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Baby Proof posted:

Is there a way to do that for Gamehouse games?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm not big on hidden object games, but I highly recommend Infected: The Twin Vaccine if you're getting a free Big Fish Game.

https://www.bigfishgames.com/games/7242/infected-the-twin-vaccine-collectors-edition/

It's got a less cartoony artstyle than most HOGs and a more mature story. Reminded me a bit of the 90s X-Files FMV game, although much simpler. It used to be on Steam but disappeared a few years ago.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

It's got a less cartoony artstyle than most HOGs and a more mature story.
Man, I freaking WISH there was an abundance of cartoony HOGs with no attempts at "mature" story-telling that were suitable for kids.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Xander77 posted:

Man, I freaking WISH there was an abundance of cartoony HOGs with no attempts at "mature" story-telling that were suitable for kids.

You just made me realize that my 8 year old might love a hidden object game. Do you have any to recommend?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
For some reason I have a malformed gene or something that means I really like HOGs, even though they seem to be where poo poo writers go to die. One day I'd love to play one with a sensible storyline that will let me clear those cobwebs with my hand or just push that drat hungry cat out of the way! And who keeps locking these doors by hiding 3 parts of a key inside a fountain and a mailbox?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Xander77 posted:

I don't think I've played a single HOG that doesn't have at least one depiction of a mummified corpse in a rictus of terror at some point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Aren't the Nancy Drew games mostly HOGs? No idea on quality but I doubt they have any objectionable content.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Not really. I'd say they are mostly puzzles and very bad approximations of simple games like breakout.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Farquar posted:

You just made me realize that my 8 year old might love a hidden object game. Do you have any to recommend?

These aren't on Big Fish (or free), but if they like Where's Waldo-style searching, they might like Hidden Folks and it's high-quality knock-off Hidden Through Time. Steam also has a few more promising-looking games that I haven't tried: Under Leaves (a pure hidden object game), Hidden Paws (find cats in a 3d winter scene to bring them inside where it's warm!), and Tiny Lands (find differences between rotatable 3-d scenes).

For classic HOGs on Big Fish, someone upthread mentioned playing Nightmares from the Deep with their daughter, but that series has ghosts, graphic zombies/skeletons (who are mostly helpful, if sometimes misogynistic), and some jump scares. The entire series is in a bundle for $2 on Fanatical, too, if you think she might like it. I haven't tried it yet, but My Brother Rabbit sounds like it is appropriate for kids, but some of the puzzles and controls are a little obtuse. There's also a Reddit thread on kid-appropriate HOGs where a user recommends the "Vacation Adventure" series and Fishdom H20: Hidden Odyssey.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 3, 2021

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Stickman posted:

These aren't on Big Fish (or free), but if they like Where's Waldo-style searching, they might like Hidden Folks and it's high-quality knock-off Hidden Through Time. Steam also has a few more promising-looking games that I haven't tried: Under Leaves (a pure hidden object game), Hidden Paws (find cats in a 3d winter scene to bring them inside where it's warm!), and Tiny Lands (find differences between rotatable 3-d scenes).

Under Leaves is great, I adore the art style. Hidden Through Time is decent, but in terms of pure charm I prefer the original Hidden Folks, which was in the huge itch.io BLM bundle in case you picked that up, and apparently Hidden Paws was too! I haven't played that one, going to have to download it.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Its pretty old now, but I remember quite liking Azada and its sequels when they came out. I found they had a little more puzzles to solve and a little less (but still significant) amount Hidden Object stuff to do. None of it was hard really, but better than some other stuff I didn't even remember the names of. I'm sure you can get them super cheap these days somewhere.

If you are looking for good kids games though, some version of The Incredible Machine is the best recommendation I have. All the kids in my family spent hours trying to figure out the puzzles, and my friend's children love to play it when they come visit with him.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

flesh dance posted:

Under Leaves is great, I adore the art style. Hidden Through Time is decent, but in terms of pure charm I prefer the original Hidden Folks, which was in the huge itch.io BLM bundle in case you picked that up, and apparently Hidden Paws was too! I haven't played that one, going to have to download it.

Oh man, thanks! There's so much stuff in there that I still have no idea I own :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Farquar posted:

treat posted:

I don't think I've played a single HOG that doesn't have at least one depiction of a mummified corpse in a rictus of terror at some point.
I was about to mention "Mystery Detective", which was nothing but hidden objects, with no idiotic plot... but apparently I misremembered the name, and now have no idea what I was thinking of.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Gromit posted:

For some reason I have a malformed gene or something that means I really like HOGs, even though they seem to be where poo poo writers go to die. One day I'd love to play one with a sensible storyline that will let me clear those cobwebs with my hand or just push that drat hungry cat out of the way! And who keeps locking these doors by hiding 3 parts of a key inside a fountain and a mailbox?

I want to try one of these now because it sounds a lot of clocks need to be wound and closets need cleaning. Give me a recommendation -- what's a good one that really stands out from the rest and will win me over to the genre?

edit: nevermind, I see some upthread, duh.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 3, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

And two more Big Fish free game codes:

FREEGAME865035
FREEGAME449269

:siren: Make sure that “enroll me in the Big Fish Club” is not checked - enrollment is a $6.99 per month charge. If it is unchecked you shouldn’t be asked to enter a payment method!

These are apparently good through the 20thish.

E: New IndieGala freebie is some game named Dave. Apparently a decent indie puzzle platformer?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 3, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Stickman posted:

And two more Big Fish free game codes:

Just as a warning - apparently certain free games (the ones that insist on you entering your payment details even if you're "buying" a free game?) automatically register you for the Game Club, which is 6.99$ a month.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 3, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I think it’s a matter of whether you have “enroll me in the Big Fish Club” checked during checkout. It seems to remember it being unchecked for me, but maybe not at certain times or for certain games? I’ll add a disclaimer.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

The games club box is checked by default, but it remembers that you've unchecked it.
But if you're already in and haven't cancelled yet, you might as well stay in for a bit and get the extra free games.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
You can't check out a free game and get enrolled in Big Fish Club without having payment information on file.

I know this because every time there's another free game I get confused when I get stopped at the checkout, until I unclick the club box.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

graventy posted:

You can't check out a free game and get enrolled in Big Fish Club without having payment information on file.

That's almost as bad as giving away your email

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If you're concerned with giving away privacy deets, use something like a virtual credit card from Privacy.com

Or just don't use it, because it's probably not worth it for some free games.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
No, no, perhaps I worded that poorly.

When you "buy" a free game, it puts the game and a free trial sub to the club in your cart. If you uncheck the free trial, and put in the free code, it does not ask for payment information.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I said I wanted to try a Hidden Object Game, so I went on Steam and sorted by rating/popularity and Cube Escape was up at the top, so I played it.

jfc wtf is wrong with you people?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I'm all ready to pet cats, find the lost mail, and what's this toy rocking horse doing here? but no,no, nothing like that; rather, I'm an axe-murderer who killed his own wife.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

I'm all ready to pet cats, find the lost mail, and what's this toy rocking horse doing here? but no,no, nothing like that; rather, I'm an axe-murderer who killed his own wife.

She stole my heart and my cat

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 3, 2021

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I was really out of it for one of these giveaways and kept the box checked, and was confused about entering payment info but did it anyway because I'm an idiot.

It's paid off though; with all the free games they give away I think I've filled out 3 punch cards and gotten more free games that way. I'm really loving these dumb hidden object games. I never thought I would bother with them when I got the first few, but COVID quarantine left me with nothing much to do and it was the start of a journey.

For the people upthread asking about a kid friendly game, Awakening: The Dreamless Castle was definitely that, with no horror or objectionable content, and I'm positive it was given away for free specifically in this thread a while ago because I would likely not have picked it myself. It's basically a fairy tale that you control but with puzzles and hidden object games.

For people looking for recommendations, I posted a bunch of suggestions previously that I've enjoyed, and I'd just like to add The 12 Labours of Hercules as a fun way to mindlessly kill a few hours. It's not a hidden object game, but a "time management" game where you send out servants to mine resources or pick up food or whatever, which lets you get rid of roadblocks or fix bridges or build houses, which lets you pick up more resources and so on. Each level has an objective or two to complete and each level only takes five minutes-ish, it feels like it was designed as a phone game where they expect you to play in short bursts. Fun though.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Am I an axe-murderer in any of those or is there at least some axe-murdering that goes on? I was afraid of this; I started at the deep end and now I'm hooked on the hard stuff.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

I said I wanted to try a Hidden Object Game, so I went on Steam and sorted by rating/popularity and Cube Escape was up at the top, so I played it.

jfc wtf is wrong with you people?

Well, your first mistake was choosing a Lynchian Room Escape adventure game instead of a Hidden Object game. Here's a tip: if the screenshots don't look like jigsaw puzzle artwork, it's not a Hidden Object game.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
ah right, good to know: the more it resembles a Thomas Kincade masterpiece, the more likely a HOG. I'll keep that little trick in my back pocket from now on, thank you!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
If you're ever unsure, always ask for help in properly identifying your HOGs and only buy from reputable, trustworthy HOG dealers. It's a dangerous game sitting down to enjoy a HOG only to wind up getting sucked into something like a Match 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the best HOGs are hard to find